ADVERTISEMENT

Trent the key as Duke begins title hunt?

What has propelled Coach K's teams to the title has been the ability of the players on the floor to control the other team and adjust on the fly. Timely 3-pointers are always important in CBB. We've seen big shots from Grayson and Gary this year, even a few from Duval and the bigs. I'm not too concerned with hitting big 3's when needed. Our guys aren't the nervous type. Controlling the opponent is the big question. Justise gave us that. Tyus gave us that. Amile gave us that. Will our starters play smart basketball on both ends or will we try to out-talent other teams? This is going to be an interesting watch.

Reactions: hart2chesson
1 of Gary and Grayson must be hot from 3.
We must feed Bagley the ball when he has it rolling, need to get Carter involved more than lately too.
Let Trevon run free, we need him to play with the freedom he played with the UNC game @ Duke.

Reactions: AlanInNJ and Liftee
I think Trent is role player on this team. A VERY TALENTED role player.

Ideally he shoots the three at a decent clip, gets into the lane for a couple floaters, and hits free throws like he has been, and we are all good.

Alan

5 seconds left, tied, down by 1, 2 or 3.

I have no idea who I want to have the ball in their hands. It’s supposed to be Grayson but he doesn’t CREATE a clear look often enough for me. He always seems off balance even from a few he’s made. It may have to be Trent. Trent can drive just enough to get a player on his heels then stop on a dime and step back for the balanced jump shot. Trent can get to the hole, maybe no blow by you, but will use his body to create space for a good shot. In other words Trent seems in control. I hope we aren’t in that situation during the tourney but it’s the tourney so chances are we will be.

5 seconds left, tied, down by 1, 2 or 3.

I have no idea who I want to have the ball in their hands. It’s supposed to be Grayson but he doesn’t CREATE a clear look often enough for me. He always seems off balance even from a few he’s made. It may have to be Trent. Trent can drive just enough to get a player on his heels then stop on a dime and step back for the balanced jump shot. Trent can get to the hole, maybe no blow by you, but will use his body to create space for a good shot. In other words Trent seems in control. I hope we aren’t in that situation during the tourney but it’s the tourney so chances are we will be.

After the UNC game, I sadly am not sure I could trust Grayson with a game winning shot. I'd probably think we'd want to use Grayson as the decoy and kick to Trent.

In the scenario above I don't think there needs to be ONE guy to take that last shot. We have so many weapons, we just need someone to create a shot for himself or for a teammate.

The failed 3 by Allen at the end of the UNC game is fresh in our minds, and I think most of us would agree that was a pretty poor effort. I feel like Grayson felt like he needed to be "the man" and made a poor decision. I also wonder if a better play should not have been called, but it's water under the bridge now. It gets back to my point above. Nearly every player in the rotation can be a scorer (I said nearly). It's about creating a good shot as a team. I don't care who actually takes the shot, I just hope it's a good shot.

Or we could just blow everyone out by 25 and not worry about these petty issues! :)

Reactions: Duke Blu
However, I'd still trust Allen with a game winning shot as long as he has no time to think about it.

Grayson and Trevon are the keys for Duke. The NCAAT is usually always won by teams that have very strong ball handlers and if we get these two on a turnover frenzy again, that will be all she wrote.

If our game doesn't start soon my head is going to explode!!!! Please can we play ball????

:)

I think if we are ACTIVE in the zone moving and deflecting balls and then we TAKE care of the ball on the other end and reduce TO’s we will be hard to beat.

I'll take Grayson any day of the week for a game winning shot. I've seen Lebron, Jordan, Bird, and any number of players take some horrible shots with the game on the line...but they've all hit a few too. Everyone looks bad sometimes, that is if you've got the nads to take the shot at all.

OFC

Last edited:
We have to let Tre be Tre and play defense. When Tre is comfortable out there and doesn't have to think as much, our offense is unstoppable. We have to let him be aggressive because his aggression is passing it the open guy. He's not the aggressive scoring type. He's aggressive in looking for other people. We need that

I'll take Grayson any day of the week for a game winning shot. I've seen Lebron, Jordan, Bird, and any number of players take some horrible shots with the game on the line...but they've all hit a few too. Everyone looks bad sometimes, that is if you've got the nads to take the short at all.

OFC

Me too dirt. I think Grayson is going to be then man. It would be wonderful for him to end a champion and the most outstanding player. OFC

Me too dirt. I think Grayson is going to be then man. It would be wonderful for him to end a champion and the most outstanding player. OFC

Yea I doubt that happens with Bagley on the floor. At this point 18 and 12 is a bad night for him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT