ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

They got Reed from Michigan to play center, Mahaney from St Mary’s to play guard, and high recruits in McNeeley and Nowell, both of whom are the highest rated recruits they’ve had since forever. I think their talent is as good, if not better, as it has been under Hurley.
Actually, Stephon Castle, who played on this years team and is a OAD, was ranked higher than both McNeeley and Nowell. He was ranked 10th in the 2023 class. Clingan was in the 30s which is slightly lower that where Nowell is ranked.

They got Reed from Michigan to play center, Mahaney from St Mary’s to play guard, and high recruits in McNeeley and Nowell, both of whom are the highest rated recruits they’ve had since forever. I think their talent is as good, if not better, as it has been under Hurley.
Actually, Stephon Castle, who played on this years team and is a OAD, was ranked higher than both McNeeley and Nowell. He was ranked 10th in the 2023 class. Clingan was in the 30s in the 2022 class, which is slightly lower that where Nowell is ranked.

It definitely sucks losing Roach. He is a good young man and I am glad he went to a contender and a good coach. I will be rooting for him as long as Baylor does not play against Duke.
That matchup could so easily happen as you know bleed. The committee loves to do little things like putting both those teams in same bracket.

OFC

That matchup could so easily happen as you know bleed. The committee loves to do little things like putting both those teams in same bracket.

OFC
I don't know that I give them that much credit. I suspect we could read that into any bracket, if we want.

Does he realize they stress defense? Maybe Virginia needs a shooter. I was never on the Power train.
This is me as well. Power has only one thing he does well and that is shoot, and he didn't really do it that well. He's a little slow to play tough defense and his ball handling skills are also lacking. He's a catch and shoot player.

Although, I assume he will improve those aspects of his game, it could and more than likely will take him a few years to get there.

Reactions: Jjallen
^You mean if consistent minutes are handed to him? It's really not giving a coach any credit to claim that players are afraid of getting yanked if they miss their first shot. No, that's getting no more passes if you miss your first shot in a new pick-up game.

Reactions: BNM79
Sometimes the coaches aren't right. My opinion is that when Roach decided to stay, Jon felt obligated to play the three guard lineup, and due to that, a couple guys didn't see minutes. Power was one of them, but maybe he wasn't ready.

I like Jon, but felt since he stuck with the 3 guard lineup, the pace of play should have been faster. Overall I don't think he had a good enough handle on that team.

Sometimes the coaches aren't right. My opinion is that when Roach decided to stay, Jon felt obligated to play the three guard lineup, and due to that, a couple guys didn't see minutes. Power was one of them, but maybe he wasn't ready.

I like Jon, but felt since he stuck with the 3 guard lineup, the pace of play should have been faster. Overall I don't think he had a good enough handle on that team.
Stuck? Maybe. I think it was his lack of confidence in the roster. Player development didn't seem as if it was a priority as well.

Last edited:
Assessing Power's game on the limited minutes he was given is conjecture...lets see what he does with consistent mins and no hook in his head if he misses his first shot.
I don't think Power got a quick hook because he missed his first or second shot. He couldn't dribble or defend and that coupled with missing a few shots, got him the hook.

Power just wasn't ready in his first season, not a big deal and he's not the first freshman to need more years in college.

When UVA got embarrassed in the play-in game this year, Bennett said he may need to look into adjusting his style. Kids don’t want to play in games where the score is 48-44.

If he plays a more normal style, I could see Power having success down the road. If he sticks to his guns, than I just don’t see how Power could ever play good enough defense to be a starter.

Wish Power had stuck it out with us, but I don’t think he would have played much this season with Flagg coming in so I get it. The Stewart transfer was the one I’m still sad about.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Anyone else wondering why James hasn’t committed yet? Could he be playing us to leverage a better NIL offer somewhere else? I have to admit I’m a little surprised that he’d be content to be the third guard in a 2-guard lineup, after being The Man at Tulane.

Sion isn’t Keels and I think the staff is well aware he was still going to go through with NBA work outs . It’s up to him if he wants to join Duke or play in the gleague . This is what alot have reference to when going after high portal transfers . You think they wouldn’t leverage going to Duke for more NIL or showing scouts higher level teams want them ? It’s the nature of the game these days .

UNC is pretty set 1 thru 4 they just need a decent guy to go with who they have.
I literally know nothing other than Davis is returning and I assume cadeau is returning. Are they bringing in some quality portal players? I could Google it but I trust y’all’s judgement over someone else’s.

Last edited:
They got the Belmont shooter. They have Washington at the 5, but he is an unknown. They need a decent 5. I would say they are top 20, not top 10.

Reactions: Jjallen
I literally know nothing other than Davis is returning and I assume cadeau is returning. Are they bringing in some quality portal players? I could Google it but I trust y’all’s judgement over someone else’s.
They have Cadeau, Davis, the Belmont Guy Tyson, Seth Trimble and then incoming 5-stars of Drake Powell and Ian Jackson. That's a solid group to play the 1-3 and maybe the Belmont guy could play the 4 if needed.

The PF and C spots are a little up in the air...they have Washington to play C and the Withers guy who transferred from Louisville last year to play the PF spot. Then they have some unknowns to fill in the gaps with some kid named Zayden High and this guy coming in named James Brown.

Like Chris said, top 20 at the moment but will need a more dependable PF/C which could make them top 15 or maybe top 10. There are not a ton of food to great centers left in the portal, so who knows who they will land.

My guess is they luck out and land someone like they did with Brady Mamboy and Pete Nancy, they always do.

Reactions: christophero
Chris who is their #4 that you speak of?? It sounds like Cade will play the SF spot. That is why they are still trying to get a 4 and 5. They are hurting in the front court right now. They have a lot of guards and SF. Could you imagine the matchup against Duke if Cade plays the 4? Flagg would match up vs Ian Jackson, Brown or Gillis vs Cade and Maluach vs Washington. Talk about height advantage for Duke. That would be every positions 1-5 with huge differences. I would love that.

Last edited:
My guess is Cade is a stretch 4. Ian Jackson, a 6-5 5 star looked pretty good in the MacDonald's game
He is likely their 3 with the 2 returning guards. They also have 6-9 Withers who may thrive with more minutes. He averaged 10 and 7 for Louisville 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Odds are they will get a decent big or two. They really wanted Malik Brown.

Last edited:
My guess is Cade is a stretch 4. Ian Jackson, a 6-5 5 star looked pretty good in the MacDonald's game
He is likely their 3 with the 2 returning guards. They also have 6-9 Withers who may thrive with more minutes. He averaged 10 and 7 for Louisville 2 years ago.
Chris do you think Ian Jackson can defend Cooper Flagg if they both play the 3? Flagg would have 4 inch height advantage. If I’m Duke I love that matchup.

Reactions: hart2chesson
this will be a real test of Hubert's coaching ability. Even if they get a big body, it won't be the usual inside-out style of play that the Cheaters love. They will find it tough to get rebounds to start the fast break. Their guards are small and I'm not sold on Cadeau. Good passer, not much else.

I'm not saying Hubert won't pull a rabbit out of his hat but this is not an intimidating team. I see Davis breaking all sorts of shooting and scoring records but not much else.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Chris do you think Ian Jackson can defend Cooper Flagg if they both play the 3? Flagg would have 4 inch height advantage. If I’m Duke I love that matchup.
For sure a matchup to exploit but Flagg would also have to guard Jackson. This reminds me of when unc got bullock and unc fans thought they were going to dominate us because Nolan would be matched up with a 6’6” guard. It isn’t a 1 vs 1 game plus a matchup can go both ways during the course of a game.

Not worried about Flaggs defense at all. I think he would make it very hard for Jackson. The one great thing about Cooper is his defense versatility, might be his biggest strength coming in next year. He is very athletic for his size and could guard position 2-5 on the court.

this will be a real test of Hubert's coaching ability. Even if they get a big body, it won't be the usual inside-out style of play that the Cheaters love. They will find it tough to get rebounds to start the fast break. Their guards are small and I'm not sold on Cadeau. Good passer, not much else.

I'm not saying Hubert won't pull a rabbit out of his hat but this is not an intimidating team. I see Davis breaking all sorts of shooting and scoring records but not much else.
Agree about cadeau. He played fairly well against us but he doesn’t worry me as much. Reminds me of a shorter Kendall Marshall. The kid could only pass but the media loved him. Even my unc buddies were dumbfounded that Marshall decided to go pro early. Then, he was picked like 13th! I couldnt blame him but what the heck were gms thinking?

Last edited:
Reactions: Liftee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT