ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Could Duke be looking at Koby Brea as a taller shooting guard? Similar to Harris but with way more experience. Trilly thinks he will decide between Duke, UNC and UCONN. Haven’t heard much talk on the Duke side but maybe Coach Scheyer is working on it to see if he would be willing or could be just smoke.

Could Duke be looking at Koby Brea as a taller shooting guard? Similar to Harris but with way more experience. Trilly thinks he will decide between Duke, UNC and UCONN. Haven’t heard much talk on the Duke side but maybe Coach Scheyer is working on it to see if he would be willing or could be just smoke.

It won't be UNC, so if it's down to those 3 it's Duke or UConn. I can't say with 100% certainty yet, but I think Cade Tyson is taking that spot for the Heels. I'll also say that Scheyer has done his best job to date this year in the portal. Brown and Gillis are 2 monster pick ups for you guys IMO. All we can hope for is that it causes chemistry and playing time issues, but it appears Scheyer is assembling a team capable of winning a title.

Last edited:
Cade to uNC seems like a lock so UConn or us for Koby. I’d like another guard there isn’t Time to give him

Reactions: Jjallen
Hey all,

Purdue fan here and wanted to congratulate you on Gillis. The guy works his ass off, rebounds well, and is a really good spot-up 3 point shooter. A guy you’ll love to have on your team. Will be rooting for him. Happy to answer any questions you have on him too. Congrats!
Just curious, how's his D? Re-watched Purdue's games against Tennessee and Bama and he seems average at best...got lost a little bit and lacks lateral quickness but tries to make up for his deficiencies with hustle. Definitely an excellent positional rebounder and a great 3PT shooter in that offense.

My concern with Gillis is, with the way Scheyer prioritizes defense first and how we really don't run a lot of action for our shooters, I wonder what his impact on the court will be (obviously seems like another future All-ACC academic guy which has been a strong point for us lately). I realize he will be coming off the bench for us but honestly I'd be shocked if he gets anywhere near his consistent MPG avg when he was at Purdue.

Just curious, how's his D? Re-watched Purdue's games against Tennessee and Bama and he seems average at best...got lost a little bit and lacks lateral quickness but tries to make up for his deficiencies with hustle. Definitely an excellent positional rebounder and a great 3PT shooter in that offense.

My concern with Gillis is, with the way Scheyer prioritizes defense first and how we really don't run a lot of action for our shooters, I wonder what his impact on the court will be (obviously seems like another future All-ACC academic guy which has been a strong point for us lately). I realize he will be coming off the bench for us but honestly I'd be shocked if he gets anywhere near his consistent MPG avg when he was at Purdue.
I don’t know for sure but one of the reasons I heard he was 6th man of the year in big 10 was his defense and hustle plays.

I did read he was a sub par rebounder for his size and not the quickest guy, so probably a guy who comes off the bench for 15-20 minutes. But he will definitely play and seems to be a good shooter and passer. He will probably have a Young type role, like Ryan on a good day. He is more talented than Young, who I liked. He is not match up dependant like Young, should get consistent minutes.

Last edited:
The nice thing is that we should have 7 guys fighting to start and get major minutes: Proctor, Foster, Evans, Flagg, Brown, Gillis and Maluach, and Knueppel and Harris will want PT as well. Competition is good.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The same could be said about Flagg being able to guard bigger more athletic and experienced college three’s . The kid is a true SF he won’t play sg in the league .
I agree, but for next season I see him having to play guard for Duke. But his future is definitely SF in the league.

Reactions: jamsession2
Ah ok, good info appreciate that.
The same could be said about Flagg being able to guard bigger more athletic and experienced college three’s . The kid is a true SF he won’t play sg in the league .
There’s no comparison between Flagg and Evans at the 3. Flagg is ready for the 3, I just don’t want him to play many minutes at the 4.

Last edited:
November & December’s Marquee Games hopefully will give all the guys a chance audition and see how they play under the bright lights.

@ Arizona
Vs Kentucky (Atlanta)
Vs Kansas (Las Vegas)
SEC Challenge

It doesn’t seem that bad since Kentucky is ravaged, and they will probably play Arkansas which is also ravaged…

I agree, but for next season I see him having to play guard for Duke. But his future is definitely SF in the league.
I agree and would think he would be a nightmare at sg for opposing teams . IMO , Harris and Knup could swing to the sg spot . I think Gillis is your back up pf .

Reactions: dukecorey
Almost everybody is ravaged. Getting the right guys from the portal can make or break your year.
Not to mention kids in the portal are starting to get a picture of how many have entered the portal and schools are not willing to wait . I guess the flip side for coaches is first to commit gets the spot .

So it looks like RJ Davis is coming back? Wow, what a shocker. Saw some suggestions on IC that Roach was ran off. Umm, Roach had a four year career. Carolina fans which set of rules are we operating under? the ones where you said in the 90’s/early 2000s that K and Duke were selfish for keeping players in school and not making them leave OR the new rules you’re operating under which is you’re a bad school for not keeping players more than four years? 😂🤣

Poor Duke just can’t win under these ever evolving chapel hill college rules. Whichever way the wind blows, I guess….

There’s no comparison between Flagg and Evans at the 3. Flagg is ready for the 3, I just don’t want him to play many minutes at the 4.
Last year McCain got beat a lot at the 3 due to his size. Evans has long arms and taller he will play some at the 2 and 3. His shooting range is ahead of Flagg. More opportunity to get in foul trouble guarding the 3 also.

I did read he was a sub par rebounder for his size and not the quickest guy, so probably a guy who comes off the bench for 15-20 minutes. But he will definitely play and seems to be a good shooter and passer. He will probably have a Young type role, like Ryan on a good day. He is more talented than Young, who I liked. He is not match up dependant like Young, should get consistent minutes.
Portal coverage from The Athletic says Gillis is "athletic enough to guard a wing."

So it looks like RJ Davis is coming back? Wow, what a shocker. Saw some suggestions on IC that Roach was ran off. Umm, Roach had a four year career. Carolina fans which set of rules are we operating under? the ones where you said in the 90’s/early 2000s that K and Duke were selfish for keeping players in school and not making them leave OR the new rules you’re operating under which is you’re a bad school for not keeping players more than four years? 😂🤣

Poor Duke just can’t win under these ever evolving chapel hill college rules. Whichever way the wind blows, I guess….
I’m shocked I tell you. He had no chance at the draft, so it was either transfer or come back. Considering no one would be able to challenge his spot and NIL it’s easy to see why. They’ll be pretty good next year but I doubt they’re close to as good as this season.

Reactions: Neue Regel
I’m shocked I tell you. He had no chance at the draft, so it was either transfer or come back. Considering no one would be able to challenge his spot and NIL it’s easy to see why. They’ll be pretty good next year but I doubt they’re close to as good as this season.
How happy do you think their two big time freshman are?? This plus Trimble coming back really cuts into Jackson & Powell playing time. Only so many minutes and one ball. RJ will easily play 30-35 minutes a game. How many Elliot Cadeau going to play 30? Even if they play 3 guards that 55 minutes between Trimble, Jackson & Powell. I’m sure none of them signed up for 15 minutes a game. My question does Ian Jackson or D. Powell ask out of their commitment?

Last edited:

It’s just embarrassing for UNC that they can’t get their ACC POY drafted when Duke can get guys playing 15-20 minutes a 1st round draft pick. Even Caleb Love is going to the NBA draft but RJ is stuck in UNC for another season. It’s very likely that none of the UNC big 3 in Davis, Love or Bacot will get drafted.

^ this, if we are being honest where were Davis and Cadeu going to go? Not to the nba, so of course they were going to return to Unc.

Somehow, they always get people to stay.
"Why would they leave?" is the question.

Better pay than any league they could play in professionally.

No actual school responsibilities.

Live the campus life of a college star vs being on a professional team and the responsibilities (and lack of fawning coeds) that come with that.

It's a no-brainer for an uneducated, semi-pro talent.

We will see but I don’t want to hear the same posters getting on him because he had a slow start like most frontcourt players when they go up against 20-22 year old players .

We joke about it but there is some secret sauce in getting players to stay every year...would be great to decode it
It’s simple . None of they are projected draft picks or see their stock drop during the season. RJ is no different than Roach . He’s a scoring guard to small for the league . Players aren’t going to stay at schools now with out a pay check . The time of student athletes is over . They are college employees now .

Wait, we’re criticizing the holes and Davis for returning? I get why he’s staying, and I don’t blame him. He will make great money, and be the king on campus. The only reason we are mad is because he makes them better and we have to play him at least twice.

Let’s also be honest. Duke brought back a junior Proctor. Would we have before NIL?

Wait, we’re criticizing the holes and Davis for returning? I get why he’s staying, and I don’t blame him. He will make great money, and be the king on campus. The only reason we are mad is because he makes them better and we have to play him at least twice.

Let’s also be honest. Duke brought back a junior Proctor. Would we have before NIL?
Considering Proctor wasn’t on draft boards, yes. Had mark been on draft boards he’d be entered in vs being at mizzou

How happy do you think their two big time freshman are?? This plus Trimble coming back really cuts into Jackson & Powell playing time. Only so many minutes and one ball. RJ will easily play 30-35 minutes a game. How many Elliot Cadeau going to play 30? Even if they play 3 guards that 55 minutes between Trimble, Jackson & Powell. I’m none of them signed up for 15 minutes a game. My question does Ian Jackson or D. Powell ask out of their commitment?
Wasn't Ian Jackson rumored to be looking elsewhere a few months ago? Have to think that only grows legs now with most their guards coming back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT