ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

It would be lousy to see Roach in another college team's uniform next season. However, I also don't see him being drafted. Perhaps he can make a G-league team and carve out a Quinn Cook type career path? I thank him for his 4 years at Duke and wish him the best wherever he ends up playing.

I don't have any inside info, but I agree 100% that Roach and Proctor never meshed. I also don't think Roach played well with Flip. There just seemed to be a disconnect. Roach was the last direct K connection. Maybe that had something to do with it?

The Departures:

Roach - Seeking NBA Contract and/or more minutes

Blakes - Wanting to take on a bigger role

Reeves/Schutt - Had bad luck with injuries. Want to play more minutes

Mitchell - Probably listened to his outside influences and is deciding to play closer to home

Young - Graduation

McCain & Flip - Projected lottery picks in this year’s nba draft

24-25 Roster (as of now):

Proctor Evans
Foster Harris
Flagg Knupple
Stewart Power
Maluch Ngonba

Get a point guard from the portal and Amari Williams from Drexel (Theo John type).

If Duke lands the kid from Syracuse then I have a feeling one of Harris, Knupple, Power enters the transfer portal.

The departures all make sense whether us fans like it or not. Duke will be fine.
I think we get the Cuse play and don't lose anyone... it's crazy but in don't see it. And even I don't think Roach returning would have sent any of the freshman away. None of them are Point Guards. Or even traditional SGs. All are big wings. Harris is closest to a SG,but even then he's put imo... so even if we add a transfer guard, as long as they aren't TOP TIER, nba talent, our freshman are locked in IMO...

If it has to be another school, hopefully Jeremy goes to St Johns. Its closer to home in the DC/Northern Virginia area, he is used to playing in the Garden of course and i can stomach that much more than Kentucky or Arkansas (F U Scotty Thurman)

The transfers suck but we are spoiled as Duke fans because Duke will be able to put together a great roster. Not all rosters win a title but I feel confident scheyer and Duke will put together one of the best in the country.

Reactions: JCColsCane
I don't know about everyone. Saw a few posts from people wanting him gone. But at this point, it doesn't matter. I hate what has happened to college basketball and this off-season has sucked donkey nuts thus far. And it's not over yet.

Sucks absolutely humongous balls. Hope he just goes to the league. Ugh. Just a huge kick to the nads.
You know things aren't going well when testicular references start flying.

We thought all the freshmen this season were multi year guys. We lost one, kept one, and are begging for two. Anything is possible, and like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a few more. But some of you guys need to step away from the ledge though.

This is what happens when the pendulum swings too far to one side. It's only going to get crazier. So buckle up.

You guys also need to do a little math. Two guards came back. Three recruits all about the same size at 6-5 or so. A super recruit at 6-9, less than 200 lbs. None of these four are bangers. And Stewart and Power are undecided? at the moment.

All highly rated kids fighting for five spots on the floor.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Duke has Pat coming in Mac he’s a banger probably not a starter at this point due to conditioning but you also have Mal who will also have a physical learning curve much like Lively . I think Duke pulls in a good rotational big and maybe a back up pg .

Reactions: pisgah101
We get three in the transfer portal when everything is said and done. Or at least we will attempt to bring in three.

I'd be reasonably happy with Stewart back and the Syracuse kid; although it could be an either/or. But that is unknown at this point. Happy with 3 returning players. This might be the new norm; but I don't like it. It is what it is I guess. We haven't shown ourselves to be portal superstars yet so we will see how we do. The Syracuse kid would be a nice start.

Last edited:
If Power and Stewart return we are fine; but Marks is hinting they may not and he was right about Roach. I get we'll be good; it's just disappointing after last year to see most of the team leave again. I enjoy some continuity but clearly this is not where the sport is headed.

You know things aren't going well when testicular references start flying.
nuts dropping GIF

Reactions: Mac9192
If Power and Stewart return we are fine; but Marks is hinting they may not and he was right about Roach. I get we'll be good; it's just disappointing after last year to see most of the team leave again.
We may not like it, but this is the new normal Chris. Duke has six kids (at this moment) that are guards to small forwards. This is also not factoring in Power. Surely we could all see the possibility that at least one of these kids not named Foster, Proctor, or Flagg say "the heck with this" and take their suitcase somewhere else. That's a lot of "talent" for 2-3 positions.

Nine to ten guys will NOT see 15-20 minutes a game.

Oats at Alabama this season had 8? new players.

I hear you. But we can't reload in the portal like other teams can, at least not right now. We will see how the week plays out.

Don't understand why we didn't bring in point guard this year. Or try get one in Portal
We did, and two of them. Foster and Proctor. I could see a cause for concern if both of them bolted.
I hear you. But we can't reload in the portal like other teams can, at least not right now. We will see how the week plays out.
We may not be able to grab guys out of the portal like some schools can, but how many schools can sign six h.s. kids that are highly rated?

I think it's a fair point to wonder about how many h.s. kids is too many, but I also think Jon is trying to do the best he can.

Last edited:
Dan Patrick was discussing the portal. Rutgers has a deal with a company and a ton of NIL money. That explains their strong oncoming class.

Last edited:
Duke has Pat coming in Mac he’s a banger probably not a starter at this point due to conditioning but you also have Mal who will also have a physical learning curve much like Lively . I think Duke pulls in a good rotational big and maybe a back up pg .
Ngongba looks wide on the court which is encouraging. Hope he is aggressive though and plays with authority. Don’t need a marques bolden out there playing timid. Honestly, Stewart could be that guy if he grew another inch and gained mass. I love his hustle and toughness.

No more departures and two from portal. Close on Brown and possibly Gillis and that’s the roster. Expect this by this time next week. That’s a great off season in today’s landscape.
I would definitely sign up for that. That would be a roster of 12 (4 returns, 6 freshmen and 2 transfers). Really hoping Duke doesn’t lose anymore. That would be a really good roster with a lot of versatility.

Last edited:
Genuine question for you guys since I dont follow the team

Why does it seem Roach was the one forced out in favor of Proctor? In the few Duke games I watched it seemed Roach was the more reliable player and Proctor just a better athlete

Genuine question for you guys since I dont follow the team

Why does it seem Roach was the one forced out in favor of Proctor? In the few Duke games I watched it seemed Roach was the more reliable player and Proctor just a better athlete
He wasn’t forced out. Move on and continue your quest for conspiracy theories that I’m sure are running rampant and are patently false.

He wasn’t forced out. Move on and continue your quest for conspiracy theories that I’m sure are running rampant and are patently false.
Its not a conspiracy theory man. And I dont work for BoA coming over to Wells and asking for trade secrets

My understanding is Scheyer wanted to get away from the 3 guard system and Foster and Proctor were the guards he wanted to run with and Im asking why it doesnt seem like Roach was the number 1 priority

No more departures and two from portal. Close on Brown and possibly Gillis and that’s the roster. Expect this by this time next week. That’s a great off season in today’s landscape.
It seems we need to improve guard and post depth. Brown meets post depth but Gillis seems to be a wing or stretch 4. Is this because Duke sees the need to be bigger and more physical since the game is so cluttered and limited driving lanes? Or will they go with another guard?

Reactions: mbdfan
Its not a conspiracy theory man. And I dont work for BoA coming over to Wells and asking for trade secrets

My understanding is Scheyer wanted to get away from the 3 guard system and Foster and Proctor were the guards he wanted to run with and Im asking why it doesnt seem like Roach was the number 1 priority
Where are you getting your info from ? Roach loves Duke but sometimes a change of scenery is needed and it’s for personal growth . Pretty sure after four years he got a degree from Duke . You are only young once and don’t think schools aren’t interested in a four year college player with Roaches scoring capabilities.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Where are you getting your info from ? Roach loves Duke but sometimes a change of scenery is needed and it’s for personal growth . Pretty sure after four years he got a degree from Duke . You are only young once and don’t think schools aren’t interested in a four year college player with Roaches scoring capabilities.
thats just chatter on twitter, which is why i came here to ask. i would be just as puzzled if RJ Davis transfers. Both dont seem to have much NBA future due to being undersized and it would be weird to think you can do better than being a 4 year starter at UNC or Duke, especially when it isnt like some lottery pick at guard isnt coming in

thats just chatter on twitter, which is why i came here to ask. i would be just as puzzled if RJ Davis transfers. Both dont seem to have much NBA future due to being undersized and it would be weird to think you can do better than being a 4 year starter at UNC or Duke, especially when it isnt like some lottery pick at guard isnt coming in
First mistake was believing twitter chatter, you quickly realize 99% of these accounts don’t have “sources” . I remember a few big duke accounts swearing Foster was going to Villanova after the season. Roach played here 4 years, got his degree and is now headed for a solid payday which is what the portal is really for rather than dudes going to 4 schools in 4 years

Speaking of chatter, what is Davis going to do? I'll personally drive him to the airport if he'll transfer.

• Haha
Reactions: bullcity gamer
First mistake was believing twitter chatter, you quickly realize 99% of these accounts don’t have “sources” . I remember a few big duke accounts swearing Foster was going to Villanova after the season. Roach played here 4 years, got his degree and is now headed for a solid payday which is what the portal is really for rather than dudes going to 4 schools in 4 years
Duke's barstool account is one of the absolute worst.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
We seem to agree that getting a big from the portal is a priority, but I think some are underestimating just how important it is. I really liked Theo Johns , but we need to do better than that this time. As highly rated as our 2 incoming freshmen centers are, they’re not going to be a match for experienced bigs, either in terms of physical development or being able to know how to play that position at this level. Think Adam Sonogo and Donovan Clingan in 2022-23 - as good as Clingan was, Sonogo, as a 3rd year player, was the man. I don’t give a crap about “so-and-so isn’t coming to Duke to be a backup” - if bringing in a ready-for-primetime transfer scares off one of our recruits, so be it. If that’s how they feel, they’re planning on leaving after 1 year anyway, so let’s take the guy who can help us most for that year.

I have no idea how this works but I am guessing with NIL it can become very much like managing a pro team under cap restrictions. From an NIL perspective Duke prioritized Flagg, foster, and proctor. Last year it was probably proctor, roach, and filipowski. They probably want roach back but maybe roach knows he can get more from the pros or another college team on the open market. Example once mahomes got his giant contract they had to make a decision on hill. They wanted hill but not for what he felt he was worth on the open market. Unless of course they sacrifice building a pro level defense. So just making decisions to optimize success with restrictions. Maybe that is where some of that chatter is coming from but to say he was ran off is simply not true. Much more complexity to it.

Last edited:
Or Roach could simply be passing the torch and it’s as simple as that . One of them was going to leave imo . Either Foster or Roach . Roach can make more NIL on a team needing scorers . I’m believe I read Kentucky and Arkansa have both reached out and both have depleted rosters with a lot of minutes to be had . Oh and alot of NIL to throw around .

Or Roach could simply be passing the torch and it’s as simple as that . One of them was going to leave imo . Either Foster or Roach . Roach can make more NIL on a team needing scorers . I’m believe I read Kentucky and Arkansa have both reached out and both have depleted rosters with a lot of minutes to be had . Oh and alot of NIL to throw around .
Champions classic would be interesting if roach goes to yUcK.

Roach was not run off, geez. Proctor, Foster, and Roach are all qualified college starting guards. Scheyer doesn’t want to do the starting 3 guards approach like he did last season and he shouldn’t because the size this upcoming season’s team offers. Only two starting guard positions are available, Proctor and Foster both announced before Roach they were returning to Duke. Roach is looking out for what gives him the best opportunity to showcase himself to the nba as he should! NBA or go to another school where he can be a starting guard. Roach was fantastic in March during his time at Duke, he can score, and he developed into a Leader. Roach will be fine, the kid is a Winner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT