ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

It's a new day. How many coaches are not renewing scholarships, and asking players to leave?
These are the ones that really annoy me...for the players sake...what was he told when being recruited? That he had a chance to play? That it was a 2-3 year grind to get playing time? Was JS really honest about his chances? Because he certainly didnt get much time to show what he could do, and then was pulled immediately if he missed a shot! Obviously he then got injured but this type of pattern for some of our incoming players has been happening more and more...if you arent the top 5 star freshman you have no chance it seems. I hope Stewart sticks around because he's another one i think didnt get a fair shake...especially after his game winning performance against NCST

I am happy Jon is being aggressive in the portal. If guys are thinking of leaving, fine here is your replacement. Players are treating this like a business; well that goes 2 ways.
Yes it's like having a car with transmission slipping don't fix it just trade cars. Mitchell couldn't make a outside shot so let's find one that can. Crazy we don't even need assistant coaches anymore

FWIW Malik Brown dropped 26 and 7 on us in Cameron. Made the all ACC defensive team. Probably undersized for the NBA, so we could get him for 2 years. These are the kind of guys we need to go with the youngsters, but the fact he is visiting could mean we lose another forward. Or maybe Jon's going all in and swapping him for Mitchell. I say sign him up if he wants to come and can get in. This kid is tough. This would offset the loss of Mitchell. Get him and the Purdue kid (assuming Roach is gone) and that team could hang a banner. My guess is Stewart or Power are on the fence and Jon is playing chess.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Hearing we are gaining traction with Gillis the guard from Purdue .
Don't think he's a guard. From cbssports.com:

"Gillis appeared in 132 games over five seasons at Purdue, serving as a reliable stretch forward while shooting 40.7% from 3-point range. The 6-foot-6 Gillis isn't much of a playmaker or shot creator off the dribble, but he's steady and fully capable of taking on a larger offensive diet than he did with a Boilermakers team that centered everything around Zach Edey."

He will play the Young role. He was a small ball 5 last year at times. Our 2 most recent true centers, Lively and Williams, both started extremely slow out of the gate. Our freshman 5 next year is described as talented but raw, so we should expect a slow start, and the Syracuse kid can help with that. It's a smart move. And we still don't know what Power and Stewart are doing. And this kid looks better than Young or Theo.

Last edited:
I suspect that if we get Brown, Stewart is gone. If that is the case, I would feel badly because Stewart brought a lot of enthusiasm, but we can't kid ourselves. If he had a big year, he would be leaving, so we gain nothing from keeping him.

Or are we recruiting Brown because Power or Stewart are gone? Reminds me of Henry Coleman/Theo a few years back. The vibe I'm getting, unless Roach, Power, and Stewart return, is that guys do not want to compete with our recruiting class.

Scheyer has gotten some decent pieces from the portal, but not really a game changer yet. If he lands Brown, that would be his first A+ from the portal IMO, he would be an impact player and for that reason I'm hoping he goes elsewhere.

We are not done seeing people transfer from Duke, so I am glad we're going hard after people in the portal. I'd love to keep Roach, Power, and Stewart. I say we will be lucky to keep 2 of the 3. I despise what the transfer portal has done to college basketball.

I hate the current process of college basketball. I know I'm old but I miss the days where you have a Sr Danny Ferry and you recruit a Christian Laetner to come in and play his role and then take over. You don't have to bring in a 6 man super class because you just need the next piece like Grant Hill and guys that know their place.

I hate the current process of college basketball. I know I'm old but I miss the days where you have a Sr Danny Ferry and you recruit a Christian Laetner to come in and play his role and then take over. You don't have to bring in a 6 man super class because you just need the next piece like Grant Hill and guys that know their place.
You're not old. You're wise.
OFC

If Stewart leaves he leaves it’s the nature of college basketball and you simply can’t blame a kid who doesn’t want to only play sparingly especially coming off the bench .

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Didnt want to start a thread but thought this was interesting
Sorry for the size....no idea why its so big ( thats what she....)....but certainly shows the difference in NBA today vs the good old days..and vs CBB....and given this...how does this fit Flip's game?

How do you showcase Sean's abilities next year? No matter what an incoming class 'rank' may be, the present players fill they are proven.

Didnt want to start a thread but thought this was interesting
Sorry for the size....no idea why its so big ( thats what she....)....but certainly shows the difference in NBA today vs the good old days..and vs CBB....and given this...how does this fit Flip's game?
Flip can score inside and outside. He is also a pretty good defender and he can rebound. Just think of Kelly Olynk, Dario Saric, and Kevin Love, and that’s what Flip will be in the NBA.

I can see the future of college basketball being like a contract offer. We will need lawyers to interpret what is on paper.

Kid decides to come to Duke for one/maybe 2 seasons. Contract states for year 1, must play 15-17 minutes a game. X amount of $ to make off on NIL. If he's here for year 2, must be starter. Contract void if ppg lower than 4 for 1st season, or fouls out of more than 3 games.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I can see the future of college basketball being like a contract offer. We will need lawyers to interpret what is on paper.

Kid decides to come to Duke for one/maybe 2 seasons. Contract states for year 1, must play 15-17 minutes a game. X amount of $ to make off on NIL. If he's here for year 2, must be starter. Contract void if ppg lower than 4 for 1st season, or fouls out of more than 3 games.
That’s making my head spin haha

Reactions: Mac9192
Its sad what college basketball is... IMO it's a sad mindset as a kid/young adult in college sports... don't get the playing time you think you deserve, automatically enter the transfer portal... Heck spend that summer getting better. But going somewhere new and playing more isn't guaranteed unless it's a step down most time. May still be in a limited role at the new destination... I miss the days where you didn't even have to wait for a freshman to Announce he was coming back for a 2nd year... one reason I hate the transfer portal... old school YES, INDEED I AM...

If the NCAA does not step in, its coming. Coming Fast too!

I do not know if I can just blame the players for this transfer portal craziness. How many coaches are encouraging these players to leave the school?

Reactions: hart2chesson
I do not know if I can just blame the players for this transfer portal craziness. How many coaches are encouraging these players to leave the school
It kinda goes both ways... to a degree it's more on the kids/recruits imo. If I'm a coach and I recruit you, I don't expect you to be a complete Stud, unless that is WHO YOU ARE. I expect you to work hard, be willing to get better, be a good student athlete, and buy in to the process of college sports. But also, know that nothing(PPG, minutes) is guaranteed, it's earned... as the recruit you have to understand this AS WELL. And most importantly know THE SITUATION of the Program... Duke is going to recruit the best YEAR IN YEAR OUT. All Big time, Blue Bloods are. (SAME AS TOP LEVEL COLLEGE FOOTBALL) Yes its a business... but Iron sharpens Iron, so if you aren't committed and understand that you get BETTER or you don't play, pick the lesser of the school from the start...

I was watching Daniel Ewing talk on a podcast the other day... he said "I was an McDonald's AA, got recruited by ever school in the nation. I Committed to Duke, KNOWING they had a junior Jason Williams, and a sophomore Chris Duhon" "But I Committed knowing that I was going to get better, not start, because I knew what was in front of me, but I knew I would play"... That MINDSET is LONG GONE in kids today...

I was watching Daniel Ewing talk on a podcast the other day... he said "I was an McDonald's AA, got recruited by ever school in the nation. I Committed to Duke, KNOWING they had a junior Jason Williams, and a sophomore Chris Duhon" "But I Committed knowing that I was going to get better, not start, because I knew what was in front of me, but I knew I would play"... That MINDSET is LONG GONE in kids today...
Excellent Point. This is so true if the player has a support system/parent/coaches with a 'chip on their shoulders'. We send the wrong message to these kids. On the other hand, if a coach changes jobs, he may clean house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT