ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Tennessee watched that State game. It’s really that simple. They punched us in the mouth. Literally. Duke reacted in much the same way. Next year will be different, but the notion of getting a guy who can withstand that storm of brute force is very attractive. Udeh seemed to check off all those boxes. While it’s not a done deal either way, it does look as if there’s something going on that’s telling him to keep looking. It could turn out that his best choice is Duke. We wanted it to be over after his visit. It’s not. I don’t know if it’s grades, classes or what have you. But, I am always a bit squeamish when I hear that voiced… true or not.

I agree but a freshman’s body has not been in a college weight room like a junior or senior . Duke lost to TN because barns new to be physical with two freshman seven footers . I would have had the same game plan off watching film from the season . It won’t be the same for Flip this season or Young . So you’re saying Udeh who came off the bench at Kansas would have been a physical bruiser next season in the post ?
Yes. That’s the assumption. And, it’s just that.

Did you not know that was two freshman going against an experienced team ? You thought they could match their physicality?
True, but when you're used to getting calls when the other guy lays a finger on you, then all the sudden you're getting mugged but the whistle isn't blowing? We weren't ready for the physicality.
The difference in officiating in the acc vs the sec is like night and day.

That does mean something.

Reactions: Devilinside
Just because you are a freshman doesn’t mean you are built like one. Keels, Zion, Paolo, Griffin, guys like that come in with the body ready for the college transition.

Likewise, just because you are older, or a sophomore, doesn’t mean your game is going to suddenly be ready to bang. I hope thats the case but…….I have my doubts.

Flip, Young, Reeves just don’t inspire much confidence for me defensively and on the boards against well put together athletic bigs down there.
Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Duke Blu
I agree but a freshman’s body has not been in a college weight room like a junior or senior . Duke lost to TN because barns new to be physical with two freshman seven footers . I would have had the same game plan off watching film from the season . It won’t be the same for Flip this season or Young . So your saying Udeh who came off the bench at Kansas would have been a physical bruiser next season in the post ?
Why won’t it be the same for Young? He’s already played college basketball for 4 years and isn’t physical. Why does that change now in year 5?

In Flip you have an offense first 7 footer, who doesn’t play the 5. Coming off an injury.
In Young you have a, let’s face it, not very athletic 7 footer who plays very hard. I love him, but we all know what we are gonna get. And physicality isn’t it.
And in Reeves you have a total unknown. A 7 footer who played zero meaningful minutes as a freshman, also coming off of an injury. Maybe he could do it, but he’s a total unknown to all of us.
The xfactor is Stewart. Also an unknown.

My point is, with how absolutely loaded this team is going to be, why leave an unknown at the 5? Especially with that being the biggest reason they lost in the tournament this year? Seems silly to me to think that it will all be just fine.

Even if Reeves pans out as a contributor, I don’t think “physicality” will ever be one of his traits. Hell, we all pray he could be 50% of Lively, and even Lively wasn’t physical.
Young isn’t physical, though he does know how to use his body to get position. But regardless, I don’t think Young can be a high minutes guy on a team with title aspirations. His perimeter defense is that bad.
Flip is our best player: will lead the team in scoring and rebounding. He doesn’t need to be constantly banging with guys and getting in foul trouble (he already had enough foul trouble issues due to consistently ramming through guys on offense.)

I totally understand why most transfers won’t consider Duke: why be the 8th man at Duke when you can start at Wake Forest? But this situation is different: seems like we have a starting spot available and don’t have any bites yet. If it really is an admissions issue with Duke not wanting to take transfers from certain schools, we are in trouble moving forward.

Why won’t it be the same for Young? He’s already played college basketball for 4 years and isn’t physical. Why does that change now in year 5?

In Flip you have an offense first 7 footer, who doesn’t play the 5. Coming off an injury.
In Young you have a, let’s face it, not very athletic 7 footer who plays very hard. I love him, but we all know what we are gonna get. And physicality isn’t it.
And in Reeves you have a total unknown. A 7 footer who played zero meaningful minutes as a freshman, also coming off of an injury. Maybe he could do it, but he’s a total unknown to all of us.
The xfactor is Stewart. Also an unknown.

My point is, with how absolutely loaded this team is going to be, why leave an unknown at the 5? Especially with that being the biggest reason they lost in the tournament this year? Seems silly to me to think that it will all be just fine.
And who is the physical center left that they are going to bring in ? Every one keeps saying a top notch five when is the last time Duke has landed a top notch transfer? Seth Curry? You guys are looking for a starter , who is left in the portal that is better then Reeves, Young , Stewart and Flip?
Isn’t that two centers Duke has set good with from the portal and one stayed in the draft and the other is now looking elsewhere supposedly .

Just because you are a freshman doesn’t mean you are built like one. Keels, Zion, Paolo, Griffin, guys like that come in with the body ready for the college transition.

Likewise, just because you are older, or a sophomore, doesn’t mean your game is going to suddenly be ready to bang. I hope thats the case but…….I have my doubts.

Flip, Young, Reeves just don’t inspire much confidence for me defensively and on the boards against well put together athletic bigs down there.
As good as Paolo was he benefitted from having Theo and Mark in the game with him. If he had to man the post alone we would've been very disappointed. Keels and Zion naturally intimidated other college players at their position.

Being older does not mean you will become a banger, but it does say I've been here before. Those guys never saw those lights shine that bright. Also, let's not ignore Ricky Barnes can coach.

And who is the physical center left that they are going to bring in ? Every one keeps saying a top notch five when is the last time Duke has landed a top notch transfer? Seth Curry? You guys are looking for a starter , who is left in the portal that is better then Reeves, Young , Stewart and Flip?
Isn’t that two centers Duke has set good with from the portal and one stayed in the draft and the other is now looking elsewhere supposedly .
Maybe it doesn't have to be a center in the portal. It could be a grad transfer that withdraws from the draft.

If they are a grad transfer, they didn't have to add their name to the portal by the deadline. They can withdraw from the draft and transfer. Why can't Duke sign a grad transfer? It would be much easier and you don't have to worry about credits.

He is a 3 star so no. Doesn't mean he can't contribute. I like the kid I just think he may be a year away. A 7 footer dunking in high school does not make me salivate. Had he played more maybe. He didn't even play when Lively was hurt.

Last edited:
He is a 3 star so no. Doesn't mean he can't contribute. I like the kid I just think he may be a year away. A 7 footer dunking in high school does not make me salivate. I could dunk easily in hs and I'm 6-1. Had he played more maybe. He didn't even play when Lively was hurt.
Glad to know high school rankings always pan out 😂

Ps Udeh was so dominate that he got only 8mpg all while Kansas had no other centers, and went 6’8 and 6’7 in the paint 😂

Last edited:
Y’all kill me . With all the great recruits K had think about what Chris just said . It was six years under K (42 seasons at the helm) and two under Jon( first time head coach ). UCONN wasn’t exactly physical in the paint . Y’all are putting everything on the Tennessee game . What happens if your center you want out the portal gets hurt ? Who’s left ? The players that were already here.
I’ll say this now and we can revisit it . Reeves doesn’t get any playing time this season after fully healthy he will be in the portal . Season after .

I believe Duke beats UT if Mitchell plays. Their forward wouldn’t have gone off for 27 points. Mitchell was Duke’s most physical player. I still can’t understand how Whitehead disappeared in the second half. If Mitchell plays then he come off the bench which is what he was used to.

I believe Duke beats UT if Mitchell plays. Their forward wouldn’t have gone off for 27 points. Mitchell was Duke’s most physical player. I still can’t understand how Whitehead disappeared in the second half. If Mitchell plays then he come off the bench which is what he was used to.
Mitchell definitely makes the UT game different.

Y’all kill me . With all the great recruits K had think about what Chris just said . It was six years under K (42 seasons at the helm) and two under Jon( first time head coach ). UCONN wasn’t exactly physical in the paint . Y’all are putting everything on the Tennessee game . What happens if your center you want out the portal gets hurt ? Who’s left ? The players that were already here.
I’ll say this now and we can revisit it . Reeves doesn’t get any playing time this season after fully healthy he will be in the portal . Season after .
You could be right. But I have seen so little of Reeves actually playing that I cannot make myself give up on him just yet. We've had a few centers who started really slow and then became solid contributors like the Plumlees and Zoubek. I'll remain optimistic until clear evidence that I should not. OFC

Sanogo averaged 19.7 ppg and 9.9 rpg. He also blocked and altered many many shots, I thought he was the clear best player of the tournament and seemed pretty physical to me, at times looked like a man amongst boys.

The season prior, Kansas had Azubuike at C and they would have lost that title game to UNC if not for him being great in the 2nd half.

I won’t believe the Reeves hype until I see it in a meaningful game, I put no stock into garbage time of blowouts. I would love for him to be great, I just don’t want to waste a season where we are loaded with veterans and talent.

I have nothing against Reeves. He may well turn out to be very good. But he's also missing crucial development time now and we have guys back for a change, which may or may not happen again in the next few years. I'd like the see us get someone, preferably experienced, which is why I wanted Shedrick. We still could; but options are dwindling. Until proven otherwise we do not seem to do as well in the portal as in high school recruiting. You can't have it all. But I am still very pumped about next year. Roach back makes us very good 1-4. But this team didn't turn a corner until Lively came on. If Reeves can be a rim protector then we are set. But that's a big if.

Sanogo averaged 19.7 ppg and 9.9 rpg. He also blocked and altered many many shots, I thought he was the clear best player of the tournament and seemed pretty physical to me, at times looked like a man amongst boys.

The season prior, Kansas had Azubuike at C and they would have lost that title game to UNC if not for him being great in the 2nd half.

I won’t believe the Reeves hype until I see it in a meaningful game, I put no stock into garbage time of blowouts. I would love for him to be great, I just don’t want to waste a season where we are loaded with veterans and talent.
Good Assessment, but lets's be clear, Azu didn't get there overnight. Furthermore, don't underestimate that roster.

I have nothing against Reeves. He may well turn out to be very good. But he's also missing crucial development time now and we have guys back for a change, which may or may not happen again in the next few years. I'd like the see us get someone, preferably experienced, which is why I wanted Shedrick. We still could; but options are dwindling. Until proven otherwise we do not seem to do as well in the portal as in high school recruiting. You can't have it all. But I am still very pumped about next year. Roach back makes us very good 1-4. But this team didn't turn a corner until Lively came on. If Reeves can be a rim protector then we are set. But that's a big if.
I think the choice is clear. Reeves needs to be farmed out to Elon for two years. Then, he’ll be ready for Duke. More importantly, Duke will be ready for him.

Reactions: christophero
I think the choice is clear. Reeves needs to be farmed out to Elon for two years. Then, he’ll be ready for Duke. More importantly, Duke will be ready for him.
Nah, I know a kid name Jesse Edwards that has the same frame as Reeves right now. None of us can foresee the future, but if Reeves is similar to Jesse, he will pass on Elon.

Reeves looked a step slow most games I saw him. The tools are there, but that quickness Lively has was elite, and even that took time. CTC had no Lively and Reeves was getting free looks at the basket. I would like to see more of him to get a bigger sample size. Being injured does him no favors. He could have a Zoubek career if he is patient.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Reeves looked a step slow most games I saw him. The tools are there, but that quickness Lively has was elite, and even that took time. CTC had no Lively and Reeves was getting free looks at the basket. I would like to see more of him to get a bigger sample size. Being injured does him no favors. He could have a Zoubek career if he is patient.
You realize no one knows the extend of how long Reeves was dealing with the ankle issue prior to surgery , right? No one even knew he was injured.
We will see how the roster finish up this summer .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT