ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

Thought you had to enter the portal by May 11? Maybe it's different if you are in the draft process.

I think you still can if you graduated, like Baker did last year. And you can still transfer, you would just have to sit out a year like before.

DaRon Holmes averaged 18.4 ppg and 8.1 rpg.
Udeh averaged 2.6 ppg and 1.8 rpg last season.

IF Holmes is still an option, give me that every day of the week. He is not a project, he would come in and contribute from day 1. He’s also older by a year so you get more experience. And if he is only here for a year, then guess what: there will be another 50 big men in the portal next year that we can grab.

Now, I understand the fit with Udeh too: doesn’t need the ball to be effective, but we would essentially be crossing our fingers and praying for him to be 75% as effective as Feb/March Derrick Lively II.

As far as a hypothetical preference on who we should take: Holmes and Udeh aren’t in the same ballpark.

Udeh was behind a good center and didn't get a lot of minutes. I imagine those numbers would go way up if he played more and improved. Not to Holmes's numbers, but maybe 8 and 6, which would be roughly what we need. Plus we are the favorite. I would rather not pursue Holmes and lose Udeh. Because we could end up with neither. That said if Holmes picked us I would be excited.

it’d be a Grad Transfer for sure. I looked thru the top players in the conference and don’t think it’d be anybody Duke would target.

James Bishop (George Washington), Tyler Burton (Richmond) or Yuri Collins (St Louis) are some of the names I’ve seen.

Reactions: christophero
DaRon Holmes averaged 18.4 ppg and 8.1 rpg.
Udeh averaged 2.6 ppg and 1.8 rpg last season.

IF Holmes is still an option, give me that every day of the week. He is not a project, he would come in and contribute from day 1. He’s also older by a year so you get more experience. And if he is only here for a year, then guess what: there will be another 50 big men in the portal next year that we can grab.

Now, I understand the fit with Udeh too: doesn’t need the ball to be effective, but we would essentially be crossing our fingers and praying for him to be 75% as effective as Feb/March Derrick Lively II.

As far as a hypothetical preference on who we should take: Holmes and Udeh aren’t in the same ballpark.
Fair argument.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
To me Udeh looks like a textbook example of a highly rated guy who blows up in his second year. He is raw on offense; but he could be a force on the defensive end. The question is how much does he want to be featured? He would probably have a bigger role at K State. There is also NIL. And he might want to stay in Kansas.

Last edited:
I would rather have Holmes. As good as Lively became on the defensive end and getting lobs, there were plenty of games where most of us wished he could contribute more offensively. It just opens your offense up even more when you can dump it down to a post guy that is a threat. Also, we cannot assume that everyone will stay healthy. In fact i think we can assume they wont. We always have guys missing time. If Flip goes down, who else can score in the post for us consistently? Young proved capable in LIMITED minutes.

With all of that said, unless i am missing something, its a moot point anyway.

Udeh does not have much offense, but from what I have seen he has no problems dunking it if he gets the ball down low. Seems athletic enough for lobs. Him and Young could complement each other. Young seemed to fade down the stretch; wonder if he was injured. I know Lively coming on cut his minutes, but he didn't seem like the same player the last 10 games. Young does need to get better passing out of the post.

Does anyone wonder like I do why Young can't develop a 15 foot jumper considering he's a good foul shooter? I mean, he's usually so open he could take a set shot. I can't believe Scheyer tells him not to take the shot.

Don’t forget about Stewart . A lot of teams do not have seven footers as a center none less a forward . For any big to survive in the paint you need at least two shooters one bulls eye and one who can get hot . It keeps the defense honest .

On the topic , didn’t know that Sean Stewart was the one to reach out to Udeh as soon as he entered the portal trying to recruit him to Duke .

Don’t forget about Stewart . A lot of teams do not have seven footers as a center none less a forward . For any big to survive in the paint you need at least two shooters one bulls eye and one who can get hot . It keeps the defense honest .

On the topic , didn’t know that Sean Stewart was the one to reach out to Udeh as soon as he entered the portal trying to recruit him to Duke .
Yea I saw on his portal entry post that Mark Mitchell and Stewart both commented. And then the visit post a bunch of dudes did including Flip and Proctor. I think I saw he’d followed a couple Duke players yesterday too

5 of the top 7 I think.
Sunday edit: been awfully quiet on the Udeh front. Seems like the longer this plays out the less it favors us. But you never know. If he is visiting the other two schools that allows them to make a pitch, bigger role, more NIL, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't think Udeh comes here if he's looking for the biggest role he can get. I mean Duke is perhaps the deepest team in the country. He may want to play at a Blue Blood and it didn't work out for him at Kansas. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Reactions: christophero
Agreed. He'd be more of a DeLaurier type here. Hopefully with better hands haha. He has more upside than DeLaurier, at least based on ranking. I still think we have a hole to plug at the 5, as I don't think Young/Reeves is enough for a FF team. We could reach the FF; we'd just be more likely to be picked off by a big physical team. If we miss out on Udeh there aren't many quality big men left.

Last edited:
5 of the top 7 I think.
Sunday edit: been awfully quiet on the Udeh front. Seems like the longer this plays out the less it favors us. But you never know. If he is visiting the other two schools that allows them to make a pitch, bigger role, more NIL, etc.
This is where I’m at. More and more, it seems that he’s trying to play the angles. And, good on him for that, I guess. But, as you say, the longer it goes, our chances take a hit. I’m guessing that NIL may be a major factor as well, though playing time and star factor play into that. So… a bird in the hand or two in the bush. He could get that star power at Duke. It may take longer. But… I know nothing about him or his situation. If that bigger NIL deal significantly helps out his family? Then do what’s best for you, my dude.

Sometimes you have to adjust to the cards you have been handed. Health and Chemistry is the short and long term goals for this team! The roster is legit. I do not think small ball is the answer. Just understand we have two players at every position.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Not sure how we are defining flip at C as small ball. He isn’t a shot blocker but he is physical and 7ft. And if Mitchell plays the 4 or Stewart that is a bigger lineup than 95% of college basketball. Miamis biggest starter was 6’7”. Smaller than last year but this isn’t small ball.
In 2015 duke primarily played an atheletic 6’6” guy at what would be considered the 4.

Reactions: jamsession3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT