ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

If Roach comes back I think one of the freshman guards transfer. Roach was planning on moving on after this year. I'd take Roach back in a heartbeat. If Roach comes back we return 4 starters.
I’m still hoping things are different these days and even if Roach comes back,our five star freshmen guards stay and play two years! The new two and done system!

I could see Blakes possibly transferring before any of the Freshman guards if Roach comes back. He is older with less years plus would maybe be the 3rd guard off the bench. Might want to play somewhere. But I’m hoping no player leaves.

Last edited:
Crystal ball pick for Hunter D. to Villanova, although confidence level is only 5. I still think he ends up at Kentucky if Oscar leaves.

Last edited:
Shey is holding out for a ball dominant center that will disrupt team chemistry.
There’s plenty on this board wanting a much better center. I get it to a point, but I do agree with you about a ball dominant center possibly disrupting chemistry. That’s my fear, which is why I wouldn’t mind Shedrick.
If Flip had gone pro, I’d be all in on grabbing the absolute best we could get.

Some of the same people on here though will be whining if at least one guard leaves if Roach comes back.

The “take all the talent you can get and figure it out” slogan doesn’t work.

I get it. Shedrick is solid, not great. But like you said, with Flip back we need a blue collar experienced guy at the 5 to complement Young. Proctor Flip and Mitchell will score plenty. We have a possible POTY at the 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
If Ryan Young had decided not to return for next year, Shedrick would have been an ideal BACKUP CENTER!!! Hell, he could not even beat out that stiff Caffaro for the starting center at UVA. With the aspirations of a national championship, we differently need a better center than that!!!!

OFC

Bona would be a good fit. But slim chance we get him
He is not even in the portal. Amy Adams is my first choice for a date tonight. But she doesn't return my calls.

Reactions: Mac9192
William Avery
Trajon Langdon
Chris Carawell
Shane Battier
Elton Brand

Corey Magatte

——————

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Filipowski
Bona

Stewart

I am not worried about chemistry or having a lot of talent.
I guess you’re not, unless you meant to leave off three 5 star freshmen, a solid backup big, and Blakes and Schutt.

Reactions: christophero
If Roach comes back, and I'm not sure he does, we will have a lot of offensive firepower. When is the last time Duke brought back 4 double digit scorers? I'm guessing a decade ago.

Reactions: Blueheart32
If Roach comes back, and I'm not sure he does, we will have a lot of offensive firepower. When is the last time Duke brought back 4 double digit scorers? I'm guessing a decade ago.
Four that actually averaged double digits? I may be wrong but I believe the 1990-91 team is the last time when they returned for 91-92.

Are we counting Proctor and Mitchell at 9.4 and 9.1 ppg?

The 2016-17 team brought back Grayson Allen (21.6 ppg), Luke Kennard (11.8 ppg), Matt Jones (10.4 ppg), and Amile Jefferson (10.3 ppg). Granted, Amile had a season-ending injury, so maybe it only felt like 3.

The 2016-17 team brought back Grayson Allen (21.6 ppg), Luke Kennard (11.8 ppg), Matt Jones (10.4 ppg), and Amile Jefferson (10.3 ppg). Granted, Amile had a season-ending injury, so maybe it only felt like 3.
I missed Jones somehow

Shey is holding out for a ball dominant center that will disrupt team chemistry.
No I think Duke should role out with what they got and not add a center . Every team in the country is not putting a 6’10 to 7 ‘ center on the court . They sure are not putting a 7 footer at pf . I think Duke would be just fine with what they have .

William Avery
Trajon Langdon
Chris Carawell
Shane Battier
Elton Brand

Corey Magatte

——————

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Filipowski
Bona

Stewart

I am not worried about chemistry or having a lot of talent.
This would definitely give me a Bona.

UCLA has now lost their top 6 guys, but Bona might still return to school.
If you’re Bona, why are you going back to UCLA when you are the only guy in your starting 5 plus 1st substitute that’s returning when you can transfer & go for a national title.

No I think Duke should role out with what they got and not add a center . Every team in the country is not putting a 6’10 to 7 ‘ center on the court . They sure are not putting a 7 footer at pf . I think Duke would be just fine with what they have .
With what Duke currently has, we could be great and one of the top teams in the country. Without adding a starting caliber center, I would worry about the wrong matchup in March. You need a big physical center against certain teams: see Tennessee. And of course, with the way basketball is played in 2023, you don’t need a big physical center against a lot of teams.

It’s still a nice option to have and I’d hate to see all the talent we have next year go to waste and we lose in the wrong March matchup because we get killed on the glass.

If Ryan Young had decided not to return for next year, Shedrick would have been an ideal BACKUP CENTER!!! Hell, he could not even beat out that stiff Caffaro for the starting center at UVA. With the aspirations of a national championship, we differently need a better center than that!!!!

OFC
Yes! No one has said Shedrick is a bad player, but he's another Ryan Young, at best. Why would we want two backup centers? Not only do we end up with two backup type of kids, it hinders the development of Reeves. We 100% need more of an impact type of 5.

Except that teams who don't start a really tall center usually have a 6'8" guy who weighs 270 and can jump. OFC

Duke will be good without adding a center, I agree. On paper though, a decent center puts Duke over the top.
Many feel Shedrick isn't the answer, citing that he sat the bench for Virginia much of the season. True, he did. Was he that bad, or is it possible Bennett made a mistake?

For those that question this, a good comparison (as far as Shedrick sitting) is Justin Robinson a few years ago. The kid sat the bench, only playing in mop up duty, then as his senior season was coming to a close, got more minutes, and suddenly looked like a solid player. Was he that bad too, or is it possible K overlooked him?
I know it's taboo to question the goat.

Duke will be good without adding a center, I agree. On paper though, a decent center puts Duke over the top.
Many feel Shedrick isn't the answer, citing that he sat the bench for Virginia much of the season. True, he did. Was he that bad, or is it possible Bennett made a mistake?

For those that question this, a good comparison (as far as Shedrick sitting) is Justin Robinson a few years ago. The kid sat the bench, only playing in mop up duty, then as his senior season was coming to a close, got more minutes, and suddenly looked like a solid player. Was he that bad too, or is it possible K overlooked him?
I know it's taboo to question the goat.
Except Shedrick played more during the 21-22 season than he did for the 22-23 season. There was already tons of tape/opportunities out there for Shedrick. Justin Robinson was never given a real opportunity other than mop-up time to show what he could do. And yes, seems like K overlooked him, we sure could have used his perimeter shooting the year before on the Zion team when Jack White went ice cold.

I don’t see how how the Shedrick/Robinson situations are comparable at all.

Reactions: JimboSlice00

Amile's injury made the difference...

Except Shedrick played more during the 21-22 season than he did for the 22-23 season. There was already tons of tape/opportunities out there for Shedrick. Justin Robinson was never given a real opportunity other than mop-up time to show what he could do. And yes, seems like K overlooked him, we sure could have used his perimeter shooting the year before on the Zion team when Jack White went ice cold.

I don’t see how how the Shedrick/Robinson situations are comparable at all.
Yes it is comparable, in the sense that it’s quite possible that both kids were not given a fair chance. Coaches are far from perfect. Just because a player sits, doesn’t necessarily guarantee the coach was right.

We are also comparing what he did on an offensively inept team, whereas on Duke, he will be surrounded by better players. His stats in his 15? starts this past season were very respectable.

Yes it is comparable, in the sense that it’s quite possible that both kids were not given a fair chance. Coaches are far from perfect. Just because a player sits, doesn’t necessarily guarantee the coach was right.

We are also comparing what he did on an offensively inept team, whereas on Duke, he will be surrounded by better players. His stats in his 15? starts this past season were very respectable.
I mean, sure, in that case than you could say every single kid (thousands in D1) that isn’t playing a lot could possibly be overlooked. Was Kale Catchings overlooked because he didn’t play? Shedrick played a lot his sophomore year, he definitely was given a fair chance IMO. Justin Robinson was not given a fair chance.
Plus let’s be honest, Shedrick wasn’t replaced by Ralph Sampson. He was replaced by 2 stiffs.

Duke hasn’t had many kids play a lot and then minutes decrease as the years go on. Greg Paulus comes to mind, started his first 3 years then when he got benched his SR year (for FR Elliott Williams I believe) the team took off. I see Shedricks situation more in line with Paulus.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboSlice00
Shedrick seem to be a much better defender than Young.
In addition, Shedrick has 2 years left. So, after this season Young leaves, then next season you would have Shedrick and Reeves. If Reeves makes a jump then, you would have a nice 1/2 punch with a senior and junior.

I say all of that to say, Shedrick is not the worst back up plan.

Shedrick seem to be a much better defender than Young.
I do not disagree. Again, I'd take him but I certainly hope if that's the case- that means Duke exhausted every single last option before him. Both he AND Ryan are great backup centers at a program like Duke. Jon knows more than I do, but just speaking from a fans perspective.

Ryan Young....17.7mpg, 6.4pts, 5.5 boards, 0.5 blocks 68.5% field goal percentage

Kadin Shedrick...17.5mpg, 6.2 pts, 3.8 boards. 1.4, blocks 64.7% field goal percentage

I do not disagree. Again, I'd take him but I certainly hope if that's the case- that means Duke exhausted every single last option before him. Both he AND Ryan are great backup centers at a program like Duke. Jon knows more than I do, but just speaking from a fans perspective.

Ryan Young....17.7mpg, 6.4pts, 5.5 boards, 0.5 blocks 68.5% field goal percentage

Kadin Shedrick...17.5mpg, 6.2 pts, 3.8 boards. 1.4, blocks 64.7% field goal percentage
Key Term...BACKUP. Shedrick is not a starter. If we are looking at 'Centers by Committee', then cool. If we looking at a starter because we are not confident in Reeves and Young's production, then let's continue to see what's in the portal.

Key Term...BACKUP. Shedrick is not a starter. If we are looking at 'Centers by Committee', then cool. If we looking at a starter because we are not confident in Reeves and Young's production, then let's continue to see what's in the portal.
What about if Dickinson goes to Kentucky and then Oscar pulls out of the draft, but now see's his center spot gone, would we go after him?

Reactions: jamsession3
Oscar has a very good NIL deal in place. I think he either stays in the draft or stays at Kentucky. Shedrick is the only big man I've seen show interest in Duke so far. I'm sure staff will look around. I am in the camp that we need to add someone.

Creighton SG Nembhard to Gonzaga. Nice pick up for them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT