ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

If Reeves gets no time next year we won’t have him the following year . Kids aren’t staying three years any where any more to ride a bench when you can simply find playing time else where and play right away .
Also whoever Duke lands and Reeves doesn’t see the court any, he’s probably going to look at it as being recruited over .
I'm not upset or rattled the Duke staff and fans are looking for another 5. I get it. What is bothersome is that we have an entire summer, this kid burned his redshirt and he knows the system. Those who are in the portal know Reeves is on the roster. Why would they come to Duke, and get a large amount of pt, if Young was your first BIG off the bench, and Reeves is essential Lively 2.0. What is the buy - in to come? Outside of Hunter, no one in the Portal can come in and get 25 to 30 minutes at the 5! If you come to Duke to help win a Ship, playing your role. It's great.

McCain is going to be really good. I hope Foster comes in with a chip on his shoulder for being slighted in the McDonalds AA game and the overall rankings.

As far as getting a transfer 5 goes. I trust the staffs judgement: if they feel like Reeves can actually give 15-20 good minutes a game, then Shedrick would make total sense. If they feel Reeves is still a year or 2 behind, I think they will go after a bigger fish.

Young is what he is..a solid offensive player and a below average defensive player. He’s matchup dependent. Some games he can give 20 good minutes, some games (Miami last year) he should not be on the floor at all.
We need more than just Reeves and Young.

That's why I think we can be effective with Shedrick. Shedrick put up good numbers when he got minutes but ended up in Bennett's dog house. He was Virginia's best player in their tournament game when their center got hurt. We have Young and Reeves, so 20 minutes from Shedrick is all we need. He has 2 years left which is great.

That's why I think we can be effective with Shedrick. Shedrick put up good numbers when he got minutes but ended up in Bennett's dog house. He was Virginia's best player in their tournament game when their center got hurt. We have Young and Reeves, so 20 minutes from Shedrick is all we need. He has 2 years left which is great.
Playing 3 guys actual minutes at 1 position never happens, and probably shouldn’t ever happen for chemistry sake. Plus Flip can play some center too.

It’s just so hard to figure out what the staff should do because Reeves is such a mystery. My gut tells me the staff thinks he’s still a year away due to us wanting Holmes and some of the high-end possible transfer bigs.

One thing I am sure about is that Scheyer will communicate with Reeves about the situation and Reeves will know where he stands. I like Reeves, he looks productive when he plays, but he's not ready to be the No. 1 guy. If Scheyer brings in someone else, it's because he feels we need someone, and that Young and Reeves will still be useful.

I don't think Flip plays the 5 position except in a dire emergency or end of game situations.

Shedrick averaged 20.8 minutes per game in 2022, which might be roughly the amount of minutes he'd get here. Duke had 13.3% more possessions than Virginia did that year.

His 2022 numbers were 6.9 ppg, 5.1 reb, 1.9 blocks

If you add-on an additional 13.3%, they would be: 7.8 ppg, 5.8 reb, 2.2 blk

Not bad. 8-6-2 in 20 minutes while shooting 64% from the floor and 71% from the line. I'd take that efficiency.

We can't base our whole season on Reeves making a big jump. We will bring in another 5. If Reeves busts out this year we will be set for next year.
100% agree. Having Flip, Proctor, and Mitchell coming back, I can't imagine that we go in to the season with Young/Reeves as our only 5 men. The ceiling is way too high for this team to do that.

Also, I think people really underrate how insanely good Lively was defensively. Nobody from the portal is replacing that 1-1, but Shedrick would be a consolation for sure.

Adem Bona has declared for the draft while maintaining eligibility. No transfer portal entry as of now
He's a name to watch moving forward. This is the guy I heard as being a possibility with Duke but was asked not to share the name until it went public. If he does enter the portal, I would expect Duke to be a player here.

I'm just not seeing why everyone is wanting a dominant type center. I agree we need a center. Young and Reeves? will be good role players. I worry that if the staff gets someone that wants plenty of touches, it will take away from Flip, Mitchell, Proctor, Roach? and the freshmen that we already have.

These aren't Church's Chicken All Conference kids coming in. Or they better not be.

I'm just not seeing why everyone is wanting a dominant type center. I agree we need a center. Young and Reeves? will be good role players. I worry that if the staff gets someone that wants plenty of touches, it will take away from Flip, Mitchell, Proctor, Roach? and the freshmen that we already have.

These aren't Church's Chicken All Conference kids coming in. Or they better not be.
This is why I want Shedrick. I think his play fits our makeup next year.

He's a name to watch moving forward. This is the guy I heard as being a possibility with Duke but was asked not to share the name until it went public. If he does enter the portal, I would expect Duke to be a player here.
Bona fits the bill on what we need. The guy was the 18th recruit in the country a year ago. Per his scouting profile “runs like a deer and is an explosive leaper. Raw skill wise but defends and rebounds with passion. Can protect the rim.” That sounds dead on Lively.

And I agree with the statement that Lively (2nd half of the year) was so good defensively that no one will be able to replicate that. But Bona could come close, and maybe be more consistent offensively.

Bona fits the bill on what we need. The guy was the 18th recruit in the country a year ago. Per his scouting profile “runs like a deer and is an explosive leaper. Raw skill wise but defends and rebounds with passion. Can protect the rim.” That sounds dead on Lively.

And I agree with the statement that Lively (2nd half of the year) was so good defensively that no one will be able to replicate that. But Bona could come close, and maybe be more consistent offensively.
Yea he was the PAC-12 freshmen of the year, he would certainly help.

Bona would be a wonderful fit for next year.

Bona is arguably a better college player than Lively. He is a stud when healthy. Lively may have more upside in the NBA.

Last edited:
Yea he was the PAC-12 freshmen of the year, he would certainly help.
Looks like he cannot work out for NBA teams because he is still rehabbing his shoulder injury. Is there a reason to think he would leave UCLA rather than go back there? Does it come down to his supporting cast at UCLA or exposure/NIL deals?

Looks like he cannot work out for NBA teams because he is still rehabbing his shoulder injury. Is there a reason to think he would leave UCLA rather than go back there? Does it come down to his supporting cast at UCLA or exposure/NIL deals?
The only thing I have heard is that UCLA is trying to bring in a 7-3 Spanish kid who will be a lottery pick next year. My guess is Bona either stays in the draft or returns to UCLA. Reading Bona's statement it sounds like he's moving on, but you never know.

Last edited:

McCain is going to be really good. I hope Foster comes in with a chip on his shoulder for being slighted in the McDonalds AA game and the overall rankings.

As far as getting a transfer 5 goes. I trust the staffs judgement: if they feel like Reeves can actually give 15-20 good minutes a game, then Shedrick would make total sense. If they feel Reeves is still a year or 2 behind, I think they will go after a bigger fish.

Young is what he is..a solid offensive player and a below average defensive player. He’s matchup dependent. Some games he can give 20 good minutes, some games (Miami last year) he should not be on the floor at all.
We need more than just Reeves and Young.

Thanks I didn't even catch these updated rankings. I'm shocked though. I absolutely love McCain's game but I don't understand being #10 in the class after watching everyone? I know it's just ESPN but frustrates me b/c I always pegged McCain as a 2 year guy - this is the type of stuff that throws wrinkles into the equation. He would be such a vital piece in his Soph year. Top 10 spots are reserved for guys with freakish athletic ability. We go and pick up an elite shooter who will be the perfect college-type player and they go and push him into the top 10. Now he's on some mocks in the lottery. I guess I'm missing it.

Conversely, how in the world can Foster be 23rd? No way they are watching these kids play other than all-star games. To our benefit, they are seriously putting a chip on that kid's shoulder. I'm happy Power is floating in the 30 range too after completely dominating the circuit last year.

For some reason it is just frustrating. I feel like Jon is going after 1 or 2 big fish and then getting some multi-year shooters (Power, McCain, Harris in 24). Then the recruiting services prop up their rankings and the noise picks up. Incredibly hard to build a team in the out years like this.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
for anyone curious about Sanogo. Field of 68 pod today mentioned he’s most likely remaining in the draft but the slim chance he returns to college, he’s probably not playing at UConn.

• Wow
Reactions: Duke Blu
Here's one potential name to consider: Adama Sanogo

Sanogo can't really go back to UConn. Sanogo-Clingan won't happen again. Various pundits have alluded to this. Donovan Clingan would have been drafted. He's returning to UConn to be the guy and get starter minutes.

Sanogo, however, isn't guaranteed of been drafting. There's a great chance he goes undrafted. If he doesn't get good feedback from the NBA, what does he do? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him transferring. Who wouldn't want Sanogo on their team?

Here's one potential name to consider: Adama Sanogo

Sanogo can't really go back to UConn. Sanogo-Clingan won't happen again. Various pundits have alluded to this. Donovan Clingan would have been drafted. He's returning to UConn to be the guy and get starter minutes.

Sanogo, however, isn't guaranteed of been drafting. There's a great chance he goes undrafted. If he doesn't get good feedback from the NBA, what does he do? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him transferring. Who wouldn't want Sanogo on their team?
Lol Imagine this team (I feel like one of our guards de-commits/transfers if Roach returns)

PG - Proctor
G - Roach
F - Mitchell
F - Flip
C - Sanogo

Bench
G - Foster, McCain, Schutt, Blakes
F - Power, Stewart (he can play down low)
Bigs - Young, Reeves

Reactions: dukedevilz
If Roach comes back I think one of the freshman guards transfer. Roach was planning on moving on after this year. I'd take Roach back in a heartbeat. If Roach comes back we return 4 starters.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT