ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal thread

They may not be ready 6 months from now? Yikes that doesn't sound like minor surgery.
Jessie Edwards of Syracuse to West Virginia. Huggy Bear gearing up for one last run. They have gotten several transfers now. Big loss for Syracuse.
Huggy Bear? I’ve always preferred Thuggins

Reactions: christophero
Duke is being patient and waiting for a real difference maker. I expect some big names to enter the portal very soon and you’ll see Duke make a move.

Seems like Jesse Edwards could have been that guy. Surprised a little that the staff didn't reach out to see if he had any interest.

Seems like Jesse Edwards could have been that guy. Surprised a little that the staff didn't reach out to see if he had any interest.
I've heard it was a bidding war with Edwards and Duke does a great job of showing guys how much NIL money they could potentially make with the help of Rachel Baker, but when it comes to outright promising a kid a set amount, there are lines they won't cross.

Another thing to keep in mind....some of these guys go into the portal to explore their options, while others already have a destination/agreement in place before hitting the portal. I think Edwards falls into the latter category.

I've heard it was a bidding war with Edwards and Duke does a great job of showing guys how much NIL money they could potentially make with the help of Rachel Baker, but when it comes to outright promising a kid a set amount, there are lines they won't cross.

Another thing to keep in mind....some of these guys go into the portal to explore their options, while others already have a destination/agreement in place before hitting the portal. I think Edwards falls into the latter category.
I think we're following the right guidelines (although it certainly doesn't seem there are many). However WE ARE DUKE, and social media would have a field day if they even sniffed anything wrong done by Duke.

OFC

Great insight! I appreciate it.

Actually considering the offensive numbers posted at UVA, I think "Shad" might blossom ar Duke.OFC

The rumor at RR today is that Hunter D. is waiting on Oscar's decision to stay at Kentucky or enter the draft. If Oscar stays does Duke make a run at Hunter? He would be a heck of a pick up.

The rumor at RR today is that Hunter D. is waiting on Oscar's decision to stay at Kentucky or enter the draft. If Oscar stays does Duke make a run at Hunter? He would be a heck of a pick up.
Yep he’s option number two even though he went to Michigan over Duke why not go after him again .

Reactions: christophero
All these kids want a big NIL deal. That’s why if college continues this route they should put a cap on it. There’s a cap on league salary so do the same for college .

That’s not true. He set up 3 visits. Kansas, Maryland, and Georgetown. It’s probably going to be one of those 3 schools.
I agree with this. I have to laugh at the Kentucky fans and RR, when would Hunter set up visits to 3 schools now, but be waiting for Oscar? I guess he could visit them and then wait for a few months to make his final selection, but that doesn't make sense. I think that if Hunter was truly waiting for Oscar, he would not have set up 3 visits so quickly.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I think Kentucky fans think the way we do sometimes. Anyone would want to play for Kentucky, even if they would be the 8th man on the team and share the ball with 5 5-star recruits.

A lot of these guys are transferring to go somewhere where they will be showcased as opposed to a role player. That's why I don't think Dickinson is a match for Duke. That, plus I've always felt he's rather mechanical in his movements and complains on every call.

Actually considering the offensive numbers posted at UVA, I think "Shad" might blossom ar Duke.OFC
The plan is still to land a bigger name, but if it goes another 10 days or so and Shedrick comes to visit again and Duke still doesn't have their guy it wouldn't shock me if they take him (assuming he wants Duke). I do know Shedrick is not / has never been the #1 target, but time is running out and I don't think the Duke staff wants to be left empty handed. There are still multiple names that Duke is waiting on that may enter the portal, enter the NBA draft with the option to return, etc. The question is what if none of those guys materialize? Do you take Shedrick or roll with who we have?

Shedrick is what he is…a backup option. I’d say go ahead and take him if we were searching for a backup big, but we need a starter.

I trust that the staff will find the right guy in the next week or so. And the answer definitely isn’t Dickinson: though he’s very talented, we need a defensive shot-blocking rim-running center.

Bona from UCLA would be a perfect fit, former 5-star who said no thanks to John Calipari.

Bona is really good. He hasn't entered the portal yet. A little raw, but very strong and a good defender and shot blocker and rebounder. He is projected in the early 2nd round if he goes pro. I would take Bona over the Dayton kid. He was injured a bit this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Creighton pg Ryan Nembhard transfers to Gonzaga. Averaged 12ppg as a soph. Sallis tranfers from Gonzaga to Creighton. I think the Zags win that trade.

Creighton pg Ryan Nembhard transfers to Gonzaga. Averaged 12ppg as a soph. Sallis tranfers from Gonzaga to Creighton. I think the Zags win that trade.
Is this official? Haven’t seen it reported as such. In ACC news, UVA has picked up a couple dudes who were really good in really bad conferences. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Feel like they’ve got a pretty low ceiling at this point, especially if Beekman leaves.

Clemson and NC State made a swap.

Ben Middlebrooks committed to NC State and Jack Clark committed to Clemson today - within about an hour of each other.

I like Clemson in that trade, unless cash considerations and future picks were also involved.

Is this official? Haven’t seen it reported as such. In ACC news, UVA has picked up a couple dudes who were really good in really bad conferences. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Feel like they’ve got a pretty low ceiling at this point, especially if Beekman leaves.
Yeah sorry I may have jumped the gun on this. It was a rumor. I didn't realize Gonzaga lost Timme, Swarther, Smith, and Bolton to the draft. Sallis and Reid transfers. They need to reload.
SMG listed the top 30 transfers yesterday and Shedrick is in the top 30.

Last edited:
If Reeves gets no time next year we won’t have him the following year . Kids aren’t staying three years any where any more to ride a bench when you can simply find playing time else where and play right away .
Also whoever Duke lands and Reeves doesn’t see the court any, he’s probably going to look at it as being recruited over .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT