ADVERTISEMENT

The Zion case: What should be our level of concern??

I agree on the "circus" comment. IMHO all the big players know how to play the game. What's that saying....."don't hate the player, hate the game."

Can parents get loans based off of expected future earning potential of their son while he is still in high school or college? I don't know, but I would suspect for the right interest rate it's very possible.

If players can get insurance based on their possible future professional earnings while in college, I am sure they can get a loan. The entity giving the loan gets interest money out of it, win win.

If Zion's parents cleared it(the house, any loans) with Duke beforehand I am fine with it. If not it is a huge lapse in judgement that could have sank the program. I'll assume the former.

If Zion's parents cleared it(the house, any loans) with Duke beforehand I am fine with it. If not it is a huge lapse in judgement that could have sank the program. I'll assume the former.

I look at it this way, if we as fans knew about the house, you have to believe that K and Duke knew about it as well. Thus, making sure it was within the rules.

“Then Wallach tweeted that in their case to prove Williamson received impermissible benefits, Ford and her team used Wikipedia and Zillow.

Yes, Wikipedia and Zillow were seriously used in a court of law.”

Well.. the case is basically closed at this point. Can’t wait for the haters to still say Zion/Duke/K is guilty but cheated their way out of the lawsuit.

Reactions: christophero
I don’t know how much K knew. I’d guess that, as smart as he is, he dotted his i’s and crossed his t’s. But, he’s not the coach he used to be. In a lot of ways, he’s more like a manager.
Case in point, the Cam Reddish coming up injured less than an hour before the NCAA game against VT. I heard K was livid at him, but he played 35+ minutes the next game. I believe the old K wouldn’t have played him against Michigan St. But, the game has changed, and so has he.
What worked in recruiting 20+ years ago doesn’t work now.

Lot of assumptions there Mac. First, you are assuming the Williamsons actually did anything wrong. Then you are assuming that this manager version of K would have somehow missed leased cars and a move to NC. As for Cameron, we don't know all of those details but I cannot imagine that K of thirty yers ago would have kept a guy who could contribute out of an elite eight game. That would have punished a lot of guys who had worked hard to get to that point.

First off SDevada, I didn’t say the Williamson’s did anything wrong. I said I’m sure K dotted his i’s and crossed his t’s. The other part that I said, take that however you wish. Assumptions, opinion... whatever. In my opinion, he’s no where as good as he used to be. He’s K though, so he’s still good. There’s another example too. Bagley getting to wear a retired jersey, for 1 season. Think that was not done to get him sealed to Durham? He does things now that I don’t think he would have done 20+ seasons ago. In a way though he has to, to get the elite recruits anyway.
Why are some of y’all so caught up on believing K does no wrong?

I don’t know how much K knew. I’d guess that, as smart as he is, he dotted his i’s and crossed his t’s. But, he’s not the coach he used to be. In a lot of ways, he’s more like a manager.
Case in point, the Cam Reddish coming up injured less than an hour before the NCAA game against VT. I heard K was livid at him, but he played 35+ minutes the next game. I believe the old K wouldn’t have played him against Michigan St. But, the game has changed, and so has he.
What worked in recruiting 20+ years ago doesn’t work now.

Interesting... I think the "manager" designation has some merit in these days of OAD. That could probably apply to a number of coaches I suppose.

I will agree K is not the same coach as say, 25 years ago, The Reddish incident infuriated K from what a well-placed insider told me.However he cooled off enough to play him almost the entire MSU game. I dont know if the 80's & 90's K lets him off the bench next game......OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
First off SDevada, I didn’t say the Williamson’s did anything wrong. I said I’m sure K dotted his i’s and crossed his t’s. The other part that I said, take that however you wish. Assumptions, opinion... whatever. In my opinion, he’s no where as good as he used to be. He’s K though, so he’s still good. There’s another example too. Bagley getting to wear a retired jersey, for 1 season. Think that was not done to get him sealed to Durham? He does things now that I don’t think he would have done 20+ seasons ago. In a way though he has to, to get the elite recruits anyway.
Why are some of y’all so caught up on believing K does no wrong?
I have no problem saying K is wrong, when there are actually facts to support that. This is all supposition and surmise. Show me facts and we can talk.

Reactions: jwill133
Somehow I think we could find ways to occupy ourselves. I just like to reserve criticism for those situations where we actually know what happened.

Somehow I think we could find ways to occupy ourselves. I just like to reserve criticism for those situations where we actually know what happened.

To each his or her own.....I think opinion is tied to the success or failure of a message board in some respects. You get the pulse of what (in this case) TRUE DUKE fans (minus the trolls) are thinking. I think its a major reason this board is so successful. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
To each his or her own.....I think opinion is tied to the success or failure of a message board in some respects. You get the pulse of what (in this case) TRUE DUKE fans (minus the trolls) are thinking. I think its a major reason this board is so successful. OFC
Agree completely. There’s another thread about Vernon Carey. The “opinions” vary on him. Yet, when the “opinions” on the program, or K, drift away from only praise, it’s frowned on by some.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Agree completely. There’s another thread about Vernon Carey. The “opinions” vary on him. Yet, when the “opinions” on the program, or K, drift away from only praise, it’s frowned on by some.

There's no doubt about it....OFC

According to the haters, even the legal system is biased toward Duke. Oh what is a hater to do? The gnashing of teeth and the wails of grief are of biblical proportions. Wait!!! Maybe therein lies the answer. Prayer. Or in the Ruptards cases, snake handling.

Reactions: hart2chesson
According to the haters, even the legal system is biased toward Duke. Oh what is a hater to do? The gnashing of teeth and the wails of grief are of biblical proportions. Wait!!! Maybe therein lies the answer. Prayer. Or in the Ruptards cases, snake handling.

"Legal system biased toward Duke???!!" The poor haters going to hate!
#LoveIt
#RoyKnew

OFC

I don't think she has a case either but to be fair this is a puff opinion piece. But so are the numerous negative articles on the case.

I know I’m in the minority here but I have a hard time believing K didn’t know what was going on with Zion. There is no doubt in my mind Zion took money in some form illegally. I just hope Duke wasn’t a part of it.

My friend was a highly recruited Southwest Conference Football Recruit in the 70s. His dad accepted a suitcase full of money from the out-of-state school. My friend wanted to commit to the in-state school. He called his future coach and explained his dilemma. The coach said"you did nothing wrong". Your dad keeps the cash, and you sign with us

Reactions: christophero
"There was just one problem. The documents submitted in support of the allegation appear to be completely bogus including what appears to be a doctored South Carolina driver's license which lists Williamson's height as "284" and his weight as "6'0". Other problems with the 'license' include the horizontal versus vertical orientation and the lack of shadows in the photo.

Further challenging the ID's validity is the address listed. Darlington, South Carolina is three hours away from Williamson's home of Spartanburg. There's also the matter of Williamson's middle name not being included on the supposed state issued identification. Another point of concern is the signature on the license has the letters tilting the exact same way as the agreement as if they were copied on in a photo editing program."

Reactions: skysdad
the only thing that worries me is that someone else will look into these allegations, someone who actually knows what they are doing. Hopefully there was no wrongdoing, but you never know.

Last edited:
the only thing that worries me is that someone else will look into these allegations, someone who actually knows what they are doing. Hopefully there was no wrongdoing, but you never know.
Had there been any real wrongdoing, even this hapless laughingstock of a team of attorneys would have found it. The fact that they have to resort to forgeries and unsubstantiated garbage tells you all you need to know about whether there is a there there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT