ADVERTISEMENT

The Zion case: What should be our level of concern??

Take it easy, im no UNCheat fan here. But to answer your question, no i am not ok with what they did or their punishment or lack thereof!

Jperry I will take you at your word. Trouble is we have numerous "Recruit" posters show up in a heartbeat after a Duke loss, negative story, etc. It gets old. My apologies, and take your word for now.
Btw what team do you pull for? OFC

Jperry I will take you at your word. Trouble is we have numerous "Recruit" posters show up in a heartbeat after a Duke loss, negative story, etc. It gets old. My apologies, and take your word for now.
The one and only University of Kentucky!
Been keeping an eye on your thread here very interested in seeing your guys discussions/concerns on the matter. I started my first and only thread on here when this story first broke because nobody here had posted about it and therefore wanted to see honest opinions on this but it turned into an $hi+ fest and has since been deleted, about a month ago.
Everyone here is surprisingly mute on the subject at hand or kind of shrug it off, maybe waiting to see more details or even dont care for that matter, IDK. Actually a very quiet board now that i think about it.
Seems like each week this story gets more interesting though.

The one and only University of Kentucky!
Been keeping an eye on your thread here very interested in seeing your guys discussions/concerns on the matter. I started my first and only thread on here when this story first broke because nobody here had posted about it and therefore wanted to see honest opinions on this but it turned into an $hi+ fest and has since been deleted, about a month ago.
Everyone here is surprisingly mute on the subject at hand or kind of shrug it off, maybe waiting to see more details or even dont care for that matter, IDK. Actually a very quiet board now that i think about it.
Seems like each week this story gets more interesting though.

Lmao, Kentucky huh....Well I pull for you against UNC but thats my limit.....OFC

Reactions: Jperry1987
UK, the Lance Armstrong of College BB.

Actually I think we would be the LA of CBB if it turns out to there is truth to this. Our program is revered for its standards and values...this would definitely bring that house down if true. I hope for it to be nothing but inflammatory rhetoric by a scorned advisor so we can continue to uphold our image.

If Zion got all sorts of improper benefits, I want to know about them and I want Duke to stop them right away and take their punishment. I do not want to be UNX and hire lawyers to split hairs and find a technicality to get us out of trouble.

Having said that, I realize the truth may be in the eye of the beholder and what is a legitimate defense to us may be a technicality to a hater.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
As long as Duke did their vetting process and found no reason to believe Zion or his parent did anything wrong then I good with that. If his parents lied to Duke and Duke found nothing then there isn't much on Duke in my opinion. They did all they could reasonably do to insure he was eligible to play. So again - if his parent lied, that's on them.

The UK boards constantly state they are clean, Cal is clean, even though they are recruiting the same guys the other schools are that it seems took money. They”backed off” those guys because of the money issues. The likelihood that the program with #1 or #2 recruiting classes for years never crossed the line is statistically hard to believe. Could be true but history (UCLA) shows it’s rare. Maybe Duke and UK reputation is enough.

Please extend us the courtesy of never comparing, or appearing to compare, our reputation with Kentucky's. They are not REMOTELY in the same hemisphere.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't understand why a fan of another program gets anything out of coming over to another board and decides to give opinions. Let me say I don't know why a Duke fan would go onto another programs sports discussion board either. They always seem to start their post with "I come in peace" or "I like to discuss basketball or whatever with other programs fans." The thing is sooner or later 95 percent of the time they turn into what they were from the start, trolls. We have a prime example here of that. They begin sincere but it doesn't take long before their true intentions are and thats to instigate. For UK trolls I don't know whether it's the " shot " or the stomp that they just can't get over or is it that Coach K is so much more dignified and of high character than their all their coaches with a nod of approval to Tubby Smith and they fired him. Just don't get it. As far as the unc cheater u fans go is they just can't get over the fact that Coach K had the nerve to come in and not only turn Duke into their equal and in the last 10 or so years a better program. I know I tend to be hard on opposing fans that seem to find their way on to our free board. I've been on board for over 14 years now and I know when one of them creeps in. I know we can't stop them from coming to the board. Most of them are banned eventually, some sooner than others. I think I have come to the conclusion that once they've been had is to ignore them or not respond. If we do not respond they will just eventually go away. My apologies to the 5 percent of opposing fans that are sincere. OFC

If Zion got all sorts of improper benefits, I want to know about them and I want Duke to stop them right away and take their punishment. I do not want to be UNX and hire lawyers to split hairs and find a technicality to get us out of trouble.

Having said that, I realize the truth may be in the eye of the beholder and what is a legitimate defense to us may be a technicality to a hater.
I agree and would not want to go the cheaters route

I'm a little nervous, but I also find it hard to believe Coach K would jeopardize his whole legacy over something like this.

K wouldn't jeopardize his legacy over a player, not even Zion. Like I said in an earlier post, it was said that K and Duke went through the vetting process of Zion and his parents. If he and/or his parents lied to Duke and NCAA then that's on them and not Duke or K. Just my opinion.

Zion was not the recruit you would sell out for anyway! There were more questions about how his game would translate to college than most highly rated recruits that I remember. Heck, RJ was higher regarded for most of the recruiting process. As it turned out, Zion became the player that I thought Reddish was going to be. That said, Zion was a luxury recruit and not a must have recruit and in that context, that makes it even more unlikely that Duke would have done anything below level to get him.

IMO, Zion's lawyer's next move will be to request the law suit to be consolidated. This would mean moving everything to the NC court which actually has precedent in this matter. That action could take a few months and be a defeat for the agent. The haters will be able to slobber all summer.

You think there’s any chance Zion settles out of Court? That is usually a popular resolution (for rich people) when there is going to be a ton of litigation, and he/his family potential being dragged through the mud, even if he is “innocent”..

I know our rivals would looooove that because they can always act like he did it because there was some really bad cheating from Duke and say K paid him to settle out of Court. They may get more out of that then if he admits to some low level basic “benefits”.

Reactions: christophero
In light of all that is going on in the world right now this seems a lot less important. Having said that, I hope Zion doesn't settle. I don't think there's anything here and these are grifters trying to get money for nothing. I just don't see K exposing himself or Zion either. But hey, I am just some poor schlub on a message board and I don't know jack shit, haha

I am not a lawyer but my guess is they will settle. The haters will assume we are guilty.

Reactions: skysdad
You think there’s any chance Zion settles out of Court? That is usually a popular resolution (for rich people) when there is going to be a ton of litigation, and he/his family potential being dragged through the mud, even if he is “innocent”..

I know our rivals would looooove that because they can always act like he did it because there was some really bad cheating from Duke and say K paid him to settle out of Court. They may get more out of that then if he admits to some low level basic “benefits”.
Eventually, yea there is a good chance of that if for no other reason than to put an end to the aggravation. I don't think that is an option anytime soon but that is just an opinion. It might get to the point where Zion's lawyers agree to a settlement of a few million dollars just to get her to shut up and go away. I still think she is just grasping at straws and has nothing on him. She should have been registered in NC and Zion would have been held to that contract. Not very professional.

I don't. I don't think Duke was involved. But something could have come out if he was under oath. You never know.

I think he took something...from who I have no idea...I doubt he or most big names play one year for free

I don't. I don't think Duke was involved. But something could have come out if he was under oath. You never know.
Yes.. and even the tiniest things would be blown out of proportion.. I’m sure every recruit at every school gets some benefits here and there.. even if it’s just a coach giving them $5 for gas one day after practice.. something like that would be turned into the biggest thing ever with Zion.

Reactions: christophero
Yes.. and even the tiniest things would be blown out of proportion.. I’m sure every recruit at every school gets some benefits here and there.. even if it’s just a coach giving them $5 for gas one day after practice.. something like that would be turned into the biggest thing ever with Zion.

It would be treated like biggest scandal in history if Duke was involved. OFC

If anyone believes Capel isn’t dirty, you’re living in denial.

Last edited:
Honestly, my gut feeling says Zion was paid. I hope not, but it is what it is. If it did happen we own up to it and move on after some inevitable trash talking from the inferior teams fan bases, but I’m holding out hope that everything’s fine.

Zion's attorney is saying these claims are "baseless". Why risk everything for what they're claiming?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT