ADVERTISEMENT

The Zion case: What should be our level of concern??

VaBD I know we dont always seem eye to eye, but I am in lockstep with you here pal.....OFC

Yeah I think it may get bad...and I think alot are involved that some think are squeaky clean.

I've said for years every teams cheats somehow...including Duke...it's just how bad the cheating is...that's the question

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’m not saying Duke has or hasn’t done anything wrong. I read some articles today that make it look bad, but it’s only one side.
The game has turned into too much of a circus. Too many people involved, and many of them are seeing $ signs. K’s seen a lot in his coaching time, and with the way Everything is nowadays, I wonder how much more he can take.

I’m not saying Duke has or hasn’t done anything wrong. I read some articles today that make it look bad, but it’s only one side.
The game has turned into too much of a circus. Too many people involved, and many of them are seeing $ signs. K’s seen a lot in his coaching time, and with the way Everything is nowadays, I wonder how much more he can take.

Mac I wont be a bit surprised if he retires sooner than most on here think....OFC

Yeah I think it may get bad...and I think alot are involved that some think are squeaky clean.

I've said for years every teams cheats somehow...including Duke...it's just how bad the cheating is...that's the question
CERTAINLY cannot disagree w/you at this point! OFC

I've heard about the house for Zion's Mom in Durham for a few years. If it's true, that a Duke booster was paying for it, and the coaching staff didn't know, shame on them. A lot of outside people knew. I have to believe there is a different story.But then again, i though the same thing about Lance Thomas' jewelry and don't know how that wasn't notice by the coaching staff.

I've always been under the impression that all of the big recruits have always and will always get paid, this means nothing to me. And nothing will happen to Duke.

You are living an extremely naive life if you think big time college sports are clean and pure. ACC basketball is professional sports that some fools with the NCAA prefer to call amateurism.

I've always been under the impression that all of the big recruits have always and will always get paid, this means nothing to me. And nothing will happen to Duke.

You are living an extremely naive life if you think big time college sports are clean and pure. ACC basketball is professional sports that some fools with the NCAA prefer to call amateurism.
I hope you are right about the nothing will happen to Duke part. There are a LOT of people out there who are hoping for Duke and Coach K to be taken down. I wonder if reporters will be asking coach about the house after games.

If Zion’s parents were/are living in that house and it was being paid for by boosters, Nike, Duke, whoever.. how would anyone think it would not be discovered? Where someone lives and the value of their home is info almost anyone can find if they want to. Surely if people were doing something “illegal” or something that would backfire on Duke/Nike, they would be smart enough not to move a middle-class family into a “rich” neighborhood overnight. I’m not saying anything did or didn’t happen, I just want to understand how people think this would go unnoticed if it did happen.

If I was an elite college that can pay players to play for my team, I would do something like have a distant relative/friend give the parent(s) a “job” at their business and pay them a high salary for doing almost nothing. I wouldn’t just buy them an insanely valuable house and have them move in while their kid is playing at my school. Seems like the dumbest move ever.

This Zion crap falls right into line with everything else crazy in the world. No one is happy. Everybody wants more. College sports have become a bidding war for their one year of college. If you aren’t playing that game, you’re going to lose. And from where I sit, it stinks that it’s become that.

We aren’t the Duke team from years ago. Can’t pound our chest screaming we are squeaky clean while laughing and calling Roy, Self, and Calipari cheaters.
There have been a few players before Zion that put clouds over our program. Sometimes, many don’t want to see it though.

I'm sure we all remember Duhon's mother getting a nice job at Duke when Chris decided to attend. I'm not saying she wasn't qualified, but it was pretty transparent. As for the Zion house, I have to assume Duke knew about it and was sure it was legal. Didn't Bagley's father get some money from Nike or something?

As for the Zion house, I have to assume Duke knew about it and was sure it was legal.
That’s what I’m thinking.. I don’t see anyone involved with Duke (or most any elite college) being dumb enough to do or allow something like this to happen if it wasn’t somehow within the rules. Hell, I don’t even think Zion or his family would want to do something so obvious DURING his Duke season. There has to be more to this.

This Zion crap falls right into line with everything else crazy in the world. No one is happy. Everybody wants more. College sports have become a bidding war for their one year of college. If you aren’t playing that game, you’re going to lose. And from where I sit, it stinks that it’s become that.

We aren’t the Duke team from years ago. Can’t pound our chest screaming we are squeaky clean while laughing and calling Roy, Self, and Calipari cheaters.
There have been a few players before Zion that put clouds over our program. Sometimes, many don’t want to see it though.
Any recently?

Any recently?
Read up on Bagley's dad. Do so also not as a Duke fan. If anyone has read up on him and doesn't come away scratching their head, I would say they aren't wearing blue goggles, they're wearing a welding helmet.

Count me in the group that believes anything paid to Bagley's family was a heck of an investment on Duke's part that paid out exceptional returns, same with Zion. I see no issue with this.

I would have been much more angry had Duke NOT offered Bagley or Zion anything. I mean, we are talking pro sports disguised as amateurism here just so the old suits can keep their pockets deep....

Reactions: dbav
Read up on Bagley's dad. Do so also not as a Duke fan. If anyone has read up on him and doesn't come away scratching their head, I would say they aren't wearing blue goggles, they're wearing a welding helmet.
I did at the time and my recollection was that he acted within the rules. Plus, his son, who played for us, did nothing to embarrass the university

The point I was making with Bagley's dad is that Duke has a staff of smart people in Compliance and they are going to pass everything through Compliance before taking a kid. Coach K has too much to lose. Doesn't mean we don't think he's splitting hairs, but he's staying on the right side of the law.

UNX people think Roy's an angel. I don't think K's an angel, I just think he knows how to keep his program legal within the rules.

My guess is they knew about the house and it was within the rules. It is hard to imagine that they did not know, and if they did know that they let it go on while Zion was at Duke.

The point I was making with Bagley's dad is that Duke has a staff of smart people in Compliance and they are going to pass everything through Compliance before taking a kid. Coach K has too much to lose. Doesn't mean we don't think he's splitting hairs, but he's staying on the right side of the law.

UNX people think Roy's an angel. I don't think K's an angel, I just think he knows how to keep his program legal within the rules.

Roy is crook from word go.....Kept players eligible at Kansas thru another crooked bird, academic liaison Wayne Walden. Made sure to bring Walden to "The hole" with him to continue with the bogus classes. Theres no grey area w/Roy, hes just a CHEATER!!! OFC

Reactions: Liftee
I did at the time and my recollection was that he acted within the rules. Plus, his son, who played for us, did nothing to embarrass the university
It's not about the son, and I didn't say he did anything wrong. They can't help who their parents are. This is what I felt would happen with some of our fans though. We even have a fan say whatever was 'possibly paid to Bagley and Zion was worth the investment.
I'm glad we had Zion. It's to be determined if it will cost Duke and/or K.

I'm sure we would have felt the same had either suited up for another blue blood. Cough, cough.

It's not about the son, and I didn't say he did anything wrong. They can't help who their parents are. This is what I felt would happen with some of our fans though. We even have a fan say whatever was 'possibly paid to Bagley and Zion was worth the investment.
I'm glad we had Zion. It's to be determined if it will cost Duke and/or K.

I'm sure we would have felt the same had either suited up for another blue blood. Cough, cough.
Haters are always going to hate so until I hear something like that from someone in the know,I just dismiss it as part of the deal when you run such a visible program. As far as the fine line, my understanding is that Duke utilizes the services of a few lawyers to look at the NCAA rule book for those fine lines. As long as we are on the right side, I don't really care if the line is razor thin. With Zion, I would think they knew that he would be under particular scrutiny and so did vet him and his parents to make sure they did not go over that line.

I am in the camp that until some legitimate evidence against Duke comes out that they have been cheating, that they are crossing their xs’ and dotting their is’ to make sure they are not violating NCAA rules. I believe in the Duke program and Coaching staff.

I am in the camp that until some legitimate evidence against Duke comes out that they have been cheating, that they are crossing their xs’ and dotting their is’ to make sure they are not violating NCAA rules. I believe in the Duke program and Coaching staff.

Very well said. I agree completely.

Reactions: hpnole and Hurley22
If the house and the cars are the issue I would have to think Duke knew and did due diligence on the matter. There is just too much at stake here. Others have mentioned that Zion's parents could have used savings to pay rent for a year knowing Zion would soon be in the NBA. As long as Zion is not being paid by Duke (or the parents) there is not much the NCAA can do, other than rule Zion ineligible.

me too, I would hate to think anyone involved with the program would do something illegal . There is just too much at stake.

me too, I would hate to think anyone involved with the program would do something illegal . There is just too much at stake.

Not really...as UNC showed in their fake class garbage for 100 years if you are a blue bloods program nothing will happen to you...and Duke is no different

If all they have on Zion is his family rented a house in a nice neighborhood, that could be paid for easily in many ways that have nothing to do with Duke. Savings, Loans, Relatives, all of which can be paid back. As long as a Duke booster is not involved, seems like the NCAA has no jurisdiction over where people live.

If all they have on Zion is his family rented a house in a nice neighborhood, that could be paid for easily in many ways that have nothing to do with Duke. Savings, Loans, Relatives, all of which can be paid back. As long as a Duke booster is not involved, seems like the NCAA has no jurisdiction over where people live.

I remember when the NCAA got wind of a DUKE BOOSTER giving former NC STATE great David Thompson a blazer in hopes of luring him to Durham in the early 70s (Bucky Waters era). We were thus not eligible for post season play that season. OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
I remember when the NCAA got wind of a DUKE BOOSTER giving former NC STATE great David Thompson a blazer in hopes of luring him to Durham in the early 70s (Bucky Waters era). We were thus not eligible for post season play that season. OFC

State was also placed on probation around the same time. Many believe Dean Smith was responsible for turning both programs in.

It cost Duke nothing as Duke was never going to get Thompson and was not eligible for the post season anyhow. It cost State dearly.

State was also placed on probation around the same time. Many believe Dean Smith was responsible for turning both programs in.

Would not doubt it. dean smith had a closet and more than one skeletons were kept there. OFC

Reactions: toophly1124

Wasn't it a booster's house?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT