ADVERTISEMENT

The Zion case: What should be our level of concern??

If Zion’s parents were/are living in that house and it was being paid for by boosters, Nike, Duke, whoever.. how would anyone think it would not be discovered? Where someone lives and the value of their home is info almost anyone can find if they want to. Surely if people were doing something “illegal” or something that would backfire on Duke/Nike, they would be smart enough not to move a middle-class family into a “rich” neighborhood overnight. I’m not saying anything did or didn’t happen, I just want to understand how people think this would go unnoticed if it did happen.

If I was an elite college that can pay players to play for my team, I would do something like have a distant relative/friend give the parent(s) a “job” at their business and pay them a high salary for doing almost nothing. I wouldn’t just buy them an insanely valuable house and have them move in while their kid is playing at my school. Seems like the dumbest move ever.
Exactly how I feel.

I think K just reads the fine print at the bottom of the pages lol

There’s just so many ways to do things by really smart people that don’t leave a paper trail...and can’t be “proven”...stuff they can do that’s not a violation, but shady. I don’t know how some of these idiots get caught lmao.

If it was a booster's home, don't you think that would have been much publicized already and led to some sort of punishment?

Said the house was owned by Duke alumni Thomas Morris. Not sure what more affiliation he may have with the program.

College basketball has become such a freaking circus; these stories now dominate college basketball headlines. That paired with constant OADs and not developing any connection to the players and that specific team is really making me lose my interest in college BB. I hadn't ever missed nearly as many games as I did this past season.

I know this isn't exactly the same thing to compare, but I was watching the first part of the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 and he said he was sued for $100M by the US Postal Service, who sponsored him. They settled out of court for $5M. Seems like a low amount when the original suit was for $100M.

Perhaps, this would be a similar fate for the Zion lawsuit? Just found it interesting that the lawsuit amounts were the same.

Reactions: christophero
So Zions parents attended college. Guess they might have jobs. Maybe they had enough money to rent a house for nine months before Zion got paid. Why do people assume they were poor? Sounds a bit racist.

So Zions parents attended college. Guess they might have jobs. Maybe they had enough money to rent a house for nine months before Zion got paid. Why do people assume they were poor? Sounds a bit racist.
Come on, a bit racist? I’m not saying anything is shady or not, but the home they’re rumored to have lived in while in Durham is a huge jump from the one in South Carolina.
A person has to either be blind or ignorant, not racist, to look at the 2 homes and not raise an eyebrow.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Let’s leave the racist comments and accusations out of this thread please. You can be openly skeptical and/or critical and not be racist. Holy moly.

Who was saying they were poor before? They lived in a house worth $160K.. in S.C. that’s not near poor.

Who’s house was it again? And how much was the alleged? not alleged? rent?

Will he have to answer in NC? Still this is seen as a big win for Zion. Legal experts in the articles I have read do not seem surprised.

Who’s house was it again? And how much was the alleged? not alleged? rent?
4,995 a month rent, they were paying 900 a month in South Carolina. Also the 3 luxury cars 2017-2018 listed in the agents charges (Benz, Escalade, Yukon)

Reactions: IFaZe
Where are you getting this info from?
That is what her lawyer filed, it is public, just Google Zion Williamson rent luxury cars. Multiple places have reported it. You can see the actual paper filed by her lawyer, with the reasons numbered for her claim.

I was just answering the question about their rent, the information is public that the lawyer submitted to why they are asking to have him testify.

Reactions: hart2chesson
That is what her lawyer filed, it is public, just Google Zion Williamson rent luxury cars. Multiple places have reported it. You can see the actual paper filed by her lawyer, with the reasons numbered for her claim.

I was just answering the question about their rent, the information is public that the lawyer submitted to why they are asking to have him testify.
I was not trying to pick a fight. I just did not know where to look for these numbers. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I just took a look at the filing. A lot of assumption and supposition with no offer of real facts.

Me either, and I didn't take it like that. Just was answering what was public as to the rent. Texting can come off with a totally unintended tone. My apologies if mine did.

Your tone was fine! I read it and just viewed as you offering your source....OFC

Reactions: dtodd4475
4,995 a month rent, they were paying 900 a month in South Carolina. Also the 3 luxury cars 2017-2018 listed in the agents charges (Benz, Escalade, Yukon)
I’m confused about the cars. So they bought them after Zion commited to Duke or? lol

It seems like Nike/agent money. The same thing Kansas, Arizona, LSU, etc. are trying to fight off with the Adidas wire tapes. Are the schools complicate or are they merely "victims" of fraud.

If you add up the monthly payments for everything it does seem a bit much. Someone or a bank would have had to loan them some money until Zion signed for the NBA. Seems like they could have waited a year to not have to answer these questions. Would like to know the answer.

Zion's father got the Benz after the season ended. Agents have been known to loan money to their clients given the contract they anticipate. As the season was over, nothing wrong with that. Plus, the allegations in the pleadings are just allegations and on first read, they seem pretty poorly researched. Just saying . . .

Reactions: christophero
K
r2O9l4q.jpg

If you add up the monthly payments for everything it does seem a bit much. Someone or a bank would have had to loan them some money until Zion signed for the NBA. Seems like they could have waited a year to not have to answer these questions. Would like to know the answer.

If they were not doing anything wrong, there is no reason they should have waited. I suspect Gina and her minions would have still made the same noise.

As long as Duke or boosters not involved seems like anyone could have fronted them some money to be paid back if they needed it. Might never hear the details. Guess it will eventually fade away.

or, just perhaps, they could afford everything that is at issue. Does anyone even know their financial circumstances?

I agree on the "circus" comment. IMHO all the big players know how to play the game. What's that saying....."don't hate the player, hate the game."

Can parents get loans based off of expected future earning potential of their son while he is still in high school or college? I don't know, but I would suspect for the right interest rate it's very possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT