ADVERTISEMENT

The off-season greatest hits- Minutes per game thread

I'm fine with 15-20mpg from Ryan. There will be games where he plays less. He had a very solid first half of the season; and they weren't all against cupcakes. If he did slim down, worked on his conditioning and tweaked some of his game there is definitely room for improvement there. I think he lost some confidence when Lively got more minutes. Teams also scouted his low post moves. I don't want Flip at the 5 for long stretches. I think Young will average around 15mpg.

Last edited:
If we are putting a minutes cap on Young, then we are saying Flip, Stewart, and Mitchell will always play good and foul trouble won’t ever be an issue.

Young isn’t a star, I’ll admit, but I don’t think he’s as bad as some of you are making him out to be.

Duke is very lucky to have him.

DBR is definitely more pro Young than here. But no one thinks he should play 40 minutes.

I haven't seen anyone say we weren't lucky to have Ryan and I certainly haven't seen anyone says he's a bad ball player.

12mpg-15mpg is okay, but 20mpg from him isn't ideal.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I hope our lack of success at snagging a portal 5 doesn't burn us. The 5 is a question mark, but every team has them. I am not complaining but we had a window there to plug a hole and thought we could have added a Theo type. Maybe they see something in the Stanford kid who knows.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone say we weren't lucky to have Ryan and I certainly haven't seen anyone says he's a bad ball player.

12mpg-15mpg is okay, but 20mpg from him isn't ideal.
Well no one says they hope a guy only plays 12-15 minutes a game, yet also claim he's a good player. I'm sure there will be some games where Jon will go more athletic, and Ryan will have matchup issues, but I also have this feeling that his size and ability will be needed as well. He knows his role, and he's smart.

Well no one says they hope a guy only plays 12-15 minutes a game, yet also claim he's a good player. I'm sure there will be some games where Jon will go more athletic, and Ryan will have matchup issues, but I also have this feeling that his size and ability will be needed as well. He knows his role, and he's smart.
Well considering he's a D1 athlete and plays at Duke, fair to say he's a good ball player. Plenty of good players at this level that contribute 12-15 mpg

Young is a solid offensive player with great foot work and post moves. He is an ELITE offensive rebounder. As far as being an ACC caliber guy: he is a below average defender with zero rim protection and zero ability to cover guys out to the 3 point line. Is that fair??

I guess it’s just personal preference. We are loaded with talent offensively, I believe we don’t need many points out of our 5 man. I do believe we need rim protection, defense, and rebounding out of our 5 man.

I (like others) am not hating on Young. I’m just not sure you can win big in March with his type of game at the 5. I believe Young’s season will go a lot like last year: Nov/Dec he will play 20 mpg and may even start. If this team hits it’s ceiling: than that probably means Young’s minutes in March are 5-8 per game.

But we don't have Lively. We have no proven rim protectors, at least at this time. If Flip and Mitchell get stronger that helps. Stewart could help, but he is rated lower than Lively, and look how long Lively took. We do have a ton of returning firepower. Our best 5 on the floor probably has Flip at the 5. I like the experience Young brings, but agree he should not play 20 plus minutes.

Last edited:
I'm still saying that by February, the Zoubek light will go on for Reeves and he will be our rim protector for 20 mpg. Don't worry I won't come back here and brag when that happens. Much.

But we don't have Lively. We have no proven rim protectors, at least at this time. If Flip and Mitchell get stronger that helps. Stewart could help, but he is rated lower than Lively, and look how long Lively took. We do have a ton of returning firepower. Our best 5 on the floor probably has Flip at the 5. I like the experience Young brings, but agree he should not play 20 plus minutes.
Couldn’t agree more. That’s why I (like you) was on here begging for a rim protecting role-player 5. I worry our hole at the 5 could be the reason this team ultimately falls short, we have had plenty of other great teams with a glaring hole:

2006- freshman Paulus played 32 mpg because he was the only PG on the roster.
2019: Jack White played 21 mpg because we lacked depth outside of the freshman. This was a function of too many guys leaving year in/ year out.

I worry this could be the same. One piece short, but at least this time we have other hopes (Reeves, Stewart.)

Reactions: christophero
I'm still saying that by February, the Zoubek light will go on for Reeves and he will be our rim protector for 20 mpg. Don't worry I won't come back here and brag when that happens. Much.
This is the dream. Was very pleased to see Reeves in some of the off season videos playing so hopefully that means his surgery was minor and he will have an entire off season to prepare. I believe in the kid too.

Reactions: BlobfishRCool04
That could happen
But it could not happen. If it happens great, our team will be better for it. My guess is Reeves gives us a bit next year, then more down the road.

Young's no Flip or Mitchell, but I'm not panicking with him in there either. He's got a year and an offseason under his belt, so let's hope he improved a little. It's not like he was a scrub.

If he's only playing 5 or so minutes come March, then this team will be in the talks for cutting down the nets.

This is the dream. Was very pleased to see Reeves in some of the off season videos playing so hopefully that means his surgery was minor and he will have an entire off season to prepare. I believe in the kid too.
Report from media day that I saw said that he hadn’t started any team drills, but he is suiting up and working on the court, just doing individual stuff. As for his play, for better or worse, I’m a firm believer that he’ll be our shot-blocker this year. You can’t teach size, and he has it. Add in some experience from last year, more coaching this off-season, and I think he’ll give us some good minutes. My concern though is how do we get him out there? There’s so many guys who deserve PT and getting them all ample time on the court will be tough. That’s a good problem to have though

Everyone is pulling for Reeves. I just wonder how long it will take. Zoubek was a borderline 5 star who didn't really break through til his senior year. Vrank barely played, although I thought he should have.
Vrank should've sat out a year. I didn't understand him not redshirting.

Last edited:
Zoubek's problem was athleticism not skills. He always had the skills, just couldn't get his feet going the same way (or his hands for that matter). For Reeves it's the opposite.

There's a short video of the team scrimmaging floating around. Stewart looks athletic on it but of course there's no defense being played so it's hard to draw conclusions.

The video posted yesterday has to be taken with a grain or salt, but we look fast and athletic. I think McCain is going to start as he looks the part. Saw he measured in at 6'3 so he grew a bit.

Where will McCain start? Not over Roach or Proctor. Proctor looked like the best player didn't he?

I like McCain but I like Foster too, he looks like he's physically ready to play.

Where will McCain start? Not over Roach or Proctor. Proctor looked like the best player didn't he?

I like McCain but I like Foster too, he looks like he's physically ready to play.
ESPN writer last month I think projected the starting lineup to be Roach, Proctor, McCain, Mitchell and Flip. He had Kansas as preseason 1 and Duke 2.

Just watched the scrimmage video. Flip and Reeves and Roach did not play. I didn't see Mitchell either. Young looked good, he even hit a 3. Power looks a lot like Baker out there, and I mean Baker when his shot was falling. it was pretty clear there was no Lively/Williams type as guys were getting to the rim at will.

Last edited:
Based on our squad Flip at the 5 makes the most sense. Young and Reeves playing the back up role. Flip in foul trouble is my only concern with that line up. Stewart is an x factor.
You don't play Flip at the 5 to protect him. Young and Reeves combine for 10 fouls. Plenty. Flip's offensive is more important than anything else!!!

Proctor seemed pretty far ahead of the freshman guards but that is to be expected. Deep team on the perimeter; we just need to get everyone healthy.

Reactions: Liftee
Don’t know if any of you saw the Facebook post by Duke mens basketball posted yesterday, but Coach Scheyer was talking to the players and telling them he wants them all to be confident but not comfortable. He added he wants the team to maximize their strengths. Should be fun to see who steps up in the early tests against Arizona, Michigan State, @ Arkansas, and Baylor.

Experienced Vets : Roach, Young, Flip, Proctor, & Mitchell

Vets wanting more time: Blakes, Schutt, & Reeves

Newcomers: McCain, Foster, Stewart, and Power

Is Borden still on the team? I saw a big guy that got a few dunks in the scrimmage, but it might have been the Stanford kid. Whoever it was looked decent in the scrimmage.

Reactions: jamsession3
Borden is still there and I saw him get at least one dunk. I don't think he is in the team's plans for major minutes. Not even Vrank minutes.

Foster reminds me of Roach. McCain is a big guard who will likely start. I think McCain or Young will start if we want to go big or small. Power has a nice shot; he may be in the mix. Remains to be seen how good a defender he is.

Tons of options, but I could see Jon playing a three guard lineup more than we think. We are so deep at guard this year it allows for more PT amongst our top four guards. McCain calling is three point shooting which we will always welcome.

My only concern with that is the obvious...
Flip playing at the 5. I certainly don't love that idea but I just have a gut feeling the three guard lineup puts our five best on the court.

And yes, Proctor is going to be a stud. I truly think he plays 35mpg.

I saw a video on Proctor at home, speaking to youth groups and showing clips of him growing up. What a good kid. His parents seem solid too. We are lucky to have him, especially for 2 years.

I saw that video too. Seems like a great kid. Love that we are getting a second year. He could be the best PG in the country next year. He looked very confident in the scrimmage.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
It was a casual 4v4 so I’m not reading too much into it. Young should look great against a smaller Stewart. That said, I’m looking forward to seeing ramped up scrimmages.

Foster is bigger in both size and Mass then Roach is and McCain is only two inches bigger then Roach . Thought that was Roach in for the upperclassman during four on four

So Roach reminded me of Roach lol. Now it makes sense. I thought Roach was still injured; but that is great if he is back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT