ADVERTISEMENT

The New Lounge

Drew Bree's shouldn't apologize for his comments at all. He was simply stating he feels like the flag was being disrespected when US citizens don't follow tradition and show respect while the national anthem is played. What's wrong with that?

Really Jurkin I see your point, and I dont think he meant ANY disrespect to African-Americans. As I mentioned i think in that moment he was caught up in the history of his own blood relatives FIGHTING for freedom. One could say his views need not be WALKED BACK, but he's doing all he can I think to mend fences. He still faces some hurdles:
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_10f4760a-a6bf-11ea-98af-f37c94a22a3b.html

OFC

I support a persons right to hold a peaceful protest. My question is why would you not turn and leave when the morons that want to loot and riot start acting up. Remove yourself from the problem and return the next day. Rinse and repeat. Let the trouble makers be easier to find.
Because that is exactly what the agitators want. They are trying to discredit the movement on one way or another for their own benefit. The people aren't having it any more. If you are not on board with this movement...well you arent gonna like the coming months.

Reactions: TheDude1
Shouldn't have to apologize...it's his right to say what he feels...if a teammate gets mad then so be it...deal with it

I don't see these athletes saying a word about the people tearing up their city looting and stealing...those people need to be in jail period....white black orange or green
But he cant deal with it... and he sees that. This is just as much self preservation than anything else. I have found Brees to be a decent man but he clearly kind of stepped in it.

But he cant deal with it... and he sees that. This is just as much self preservation than anything else. I have found Brees to be a decent man but he clearly kind of stepped in it.

He spoke his mind and what he felt and some didn't agree with it so they attacked him...if he wasn't still playing I doubt he would have apologized for his beliefs

Reactions: dukesince91
Really Jurkin I see your point, and I dont think he meant ANY disrespect to African-Americans. As I mentioned i think in that moment he was caught up in the history of his own blood relatives FIGHTING for freedom. One could say his views need not be WALKED BACK, but he's doing all he can I think to mend fences. He still faces some hurdles:
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_10f4760a-a6bf-11ea-98af-f37c94a22a3b.html

OFC
I agree Hart2chesson. Maybe, it was the timing of the statement, but either way it's his opinion and didn't mean it in a disrespectful way. This entire situation has turned into a shitstorm. Personally, I don't support George Floyd (as a person) and how a lot of people are uplifting him as a martyr..He has a lengthy criminal history and held a pregnant women at gunpoint (gun placed on her stomach). Might I add, he put himself in a position with the police by committing a crime and being under the influence of drugs. He shouldn't had been murdered by the police officer and I hope the police officer gets convicted for his crime and all the officers involved as well. However, my point is you have to hold yourself accountable and not put yourself in bad situation.I do support the change of Police using excessive force towards everyone. This isn't a isolated issue, this an issue that impacts everyone in the US. Candace Owens brings up many great points surrounding the George Floyd situation, you can find her take on youtube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
Only if your speech conforms to the liberal lefts agenda.
Right, because the right has absolutely no outlets for its speech. I guess
you haven’t looked at Twitter, FB or gone to any Trump rallies where he and his followers insult everyone who dares to disagree with them.

Reactions: dbav
Right, because the right has absolutely no outlets for its speech. I guess
you haven’t looked at Twitter, FB or gone to any Trump rallies where he and his followers insult everyone who dares to disagree with them.

I agree, it's not isolated to one party, everyone needs to come to a common ground and listen to each others points. That's a start for moving forward and coming together. Nothing wrong with having different views, but at least have facts to support them. The problem with today's society in the US, many news outlets, social media, etc report fake news and people take it as facts. We have too many people who react instead of educating themselves on matters.

Drew should’ve kept that apology. He said the exact same thing in 2016 but want to apologize now. That’s fake. Stick your guns.

Drew should’ve kept that apology. He said the exact same thing in 2016 but want to apologize now. That’s fake. Stick your guns.
Exactly. Why apologize for feeling a certain way, it's not prejudice or racist on how he feels. He simply feels like people should respect the flag. What's wrong with that opinion?

Exactly. Why apologize for feeling a certain way, it's not prejudice or racist on how he feels. He simply feels like people should respect the flag. What's wrong with that opinion?
I don’t have a problem with it. If that’s what he believe then it’s on him. Just like I believe any black person that stands for the flag or proudly join the armed forces is sick in the head. It makes no sense to me. That’s my opinion though.

On the other hand, his right to free speech is protected under the Constitution. I think.

Just to point out, it is only protected from government interference by the first amendment.

Brees said something that hurt many people, including his friends and teammates, even though that was not his intent. I am glad he is man enough to accept that it hurt people and apologize for that, and that his teammates accepted it.

Reactions: christophero
I don’t have a problem with it. If that’s what he believe then it’s on him. Just like I believe any black person that stands for the flag or proudly join the armed forces is sick in the head. It makes no sense to me. That’s my opinion though.

Why are they sick in the head if they join the armed forces? Aren't they Americans? Let's hear this non racial reason

Why are they sick in the head if they join the armed forces? Aren't they Americans? Let's hear this non racial reason
What you're asking doesn't make sense. You can't ask to separate race out of an argument that fundamentally about race. Now I didnt make the comment, but he obviously is referring to the same argument Muhammed Ali made...which was, why am I gonna go fight the Viet Cong overseas when you (the collective you) are my oppressors here. That is pretty extreme in my view but I understand the sentiment.

He spoke his mind and what he felt and some didn't agree with it so they attacked him...if he wasn't still playing I doubt he would have apologized for his beliefs
I don't disagree with you. But he is still playing, and he did apologize because he realized that his own views, beliefs, decisions on the matter were possibly going to interfere with his own happiness, prosperity or legacy. I'm sure he feels strongly about the flag still, but he was at least forced to stop and think about his own actions...even if for this moment...which honestly is the point of all you're seeing. I commend him for apologizing

Only if your speech conforms to the liberal lefts agenda.

*reads this post*

*then sees constant stories of police and law enforcement and national guard putting down peaceful protests that confirm with the liberal left agenda*

*scratches head in confusion and figures that the OP wasn't thinking very straight*

Reactions: SDevada
They shouldn’t join because it’s pretty obvious America doesn’t respect black lives. You do realize black people weren’t looked at as people at one point. Then after slavery they built prisons just to lock us up. Why would you fight for a country that put your ancestors through the worst thing ever on earth? No country has treated such a large group of people worse. So HELL NO I wouldn’t recommend a black person fighting for this country. When we get paid our debt then we might consider it. Even at then HELL NO

White people would do well to listen to black Americans, not just to their words but to their emotion, and try to understand what is behind it. Don't just have a knee jerk reaction, don't just talk because you want your own voice to be heard... listen, ask questions, and process.

Learning a bit of actual history would also go a long, long way towards making the conversations meaningful... far too many people are just uneducated about American history, and you simply cannot have a meaningful conversation about centuries of racial issues in our legal systems, our economic systems, our social systems, without having a pretty good understanding of the facts behind them.

Reactions: df64
What you're asking doesn't make sense. You can't ask to separate race out of an argument that fundamentally about race. Now I didnt make the comment, but he obviously is referring to the same argument Muhammed Ali made...which was, why am I gonna go fight the Viet Cong overseas when you (the collective you) are my oppressors here. That is pretty extreme in my view but I understand the sentiment.

How is this a race issue, please provide information that this is a race issue?

Don’t let me get on the wealth gap. A white man with a just a high school diploma make almost as much as a black man with a college degree. Black people are lower of all races when it comes to wealth. I wonder why

They shouldn’t join because it’s pretty obvious America doesn’t respect black lives. You do realize black people weren’t looked at as people at one point. Then after slavery they built prisons just to lock us up. Why would you fight for a country that put your ancestors through the worst thing ever on earth? No country has treated such a large group of people worse. So HELL NO I wouldn’t recommend a black person fighting for this country. When we get paid our debt then we might consider it. Even at then HELL NO

There is more black on black crime in this country than white on black crime...is that our fault too? Geez I understand some of what you're saying but some is just crap...a black guy killed a white guy the other night in my area over a parking space...did you hear about it? Any protests over of? Nope not a one

You are black? Okay then, I have some questions:)

They shouldn’t join because it’s pretty obvious America doesn’t respect black lives.

Obvious how?

You do realize black people weren’t looked at as people at one point.

Wasn't that a very long time ago?

Then after slavery they built prisons just to lock us up.

Aren't prisons just for criminals?

Why would you fight for a country that put your ancestors through the worst thing ever on earth? No country has treated such a large group of people worse. So HELL NO I wouldn’t recommend a black person fighting for this country.

But why would that history then impact now?

When we get paid our debt then we might consider it.

What do you want to have happen that would pay off said debt?

Don’t let me get on the wealth gap. A white man with a just a high school diploma make almost as much as a black man with a college degree. Black people are lower of all races when it comes to wealth. I wonder why

I got college degree..black guy working with me has HS diploma...we were hired same day at same rate...I make more now because I show up 5 days a week and he is lucky if he makes it 4 a week

How is this a race issue, please provide information that this is a race issue?
I don't know you've noticed but there are thousands of people protesting in the streets due to racial inequalities in the justice system. Just because YOU don't believe it and it isn't affecting YOU doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You are black? Okay then, I have some questions:)

Obvious how?

Wasn't that a very long time ago?

Aren't prisons just for criminals?

But why would that history then impact now?

What do you want to have happen that would pay off said debt?

Exactly

There is more black on black crime in this country than white on black crime...is that our fault too? Geez I understand some of what you're saying but some is just crap...a black guy killed a white guy the other night in my area over a parking space...did you hear about it? Any protests over of? Nope not a one

Soooo... I am going to go with "doesn't know his history" here, if you think black on black crime doesn't have anything to do with the history between white and black people... that black people were in chains for centuries, no ability to make money, no nuclear family, no generational memory passed down from parents to children... and then immediately after that we had black people not being allowed to go to good schools, not being allowed to own businesses, not having their votes counted, not being able to get high paying jobs to move to better places to live, not being able to get loans and mortgages to ensure they can move to better places to live, being considered animals by their "elected representatives", being lynched by people including police...

Black on black crime is basically poor on poor crime, and the reason that black people in America are so poor is almost ENTIRELY rooted in racism in our country.

If folks want, at some point I can sit and write up a short history of this stuff. For folks who don't know it all, it can be quite informative, when you consider the "big picture".

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Soooo... I am going to go with "doesn't know his history" here, if you think black on black crime doesn't have anything to do with the history between white and black people... that black people were in chains for centuries, no ability to make money, no nuclear family, no generational memory passed down from parents to children... and then immediately after that we had black people not being allowed to go to good schools, not being allowed to own businesses, not having their votes counted, not being able to get high paying jobs to move to better places to live, not being able to get loans and mortgages to ensure they can move to better places to live, being considered animals by their "elected representatives", being lynched by people including police...

Black on black crime is basically poor on poor crime, and the reason that black people in America are so poor is almost ENTIRELY rooted in racism in our country.

If folks want, at some point I can sit and write up a short history of this stuff. For folks who don't know it all, it can be quite informative, when you consider the "big picture".

Good grief

I don't know you've noticed but there are thousands of people protesting in the streets due to racial inequalities in the justice system. Just because YOU don't believe it and it isn't affecting YOU doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I noticed, but please provide facts that this was racially motivated. No facts support this claim and that's my point, this is pure speculation. I'm not saying he isn't racist, I don't know what his views on minorities are. The only evidence out there is he's used excessive force and he's been charged with murder. So, I ask again, how do we know this is racially charged?

Good grief
The Dude's post was spot on. Also, I saw the Dude's question about prisons. I am going to wade in a little bit. After the end of slavery, white southerners conspired to arrest their black neighbors, many on trumped up charges, and put them in chain gangs so that they ended up doing the same work they had done as slaves. There is a feeling in this country that prisons are disproportionately used as punishment for black people, while those same laws are not enforced as stringently when the defendants are white. The big example is the war on drugs. Drug treatment has been dismissed, ridiculed and underfunded, until white suburban kids started getting addicted. Now the paradigm has shifted. That shift has not gone unnoticed in communities of color.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
I noticed, but please provide facts that this was racially motivated. No facts support this claim and that's my point, this is pure speculation. I'm not saying he isn't racist, I don't know what his views on minorities are. The only evidence out there is he's used excessive force and he's been charged with murder. So, I ask again, how do we know this is racially charged?

To me it looks like a power thing. I have power over this man. I'm in control and I will act as I please.

I have another question. I watch all the memorial services for Mr. Floyd and they are certainly appropriate. What is the response to people that lost loved ones since this covid stuff started and they were told they had to limit people or couldn't have services at all?

I can personally give you some insight on a personal situation. I applied for a position at a company I was working for and was qualified to fill this role. I had several reference within the company and I felt pretty good about chances of landing this position. However, I didn't get the job because of minority quota. At first I wasn't upset until the person wasn't filling performing at the rate he was supposed to be doing. Nothing was ever done, that individual kept his job. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of equality?

I don't know how to do that but that is a red herring. This is bigger than this single act upon this man. It is about all the others that came before and those that are sure to come. The police treat us differently. They treat our children differently. I've lived this my whole life so you telling me doesn't exist is pretty laughable. But as to the extent of Chauvin...I dont know what his real motivations are...but we aren't going stand to for being killed in the streets for any reason.

To me it looks like a power thing. I have power over this man. I'm in control and I will act as I please.

I have another question. I watch all the memorial services for Mr. Floyd and they are certainly appropriate. What is the response to people that lost loved ones since this covid stuff started and they were told they had to limit people or couldn't have services at all?

Based off the evidence provided, it seems that it's a power thing for sure.

I have no doubt that people are profiled at times. I have a friend that is African American. He is a minister and has said himself that depending on what he's wearing he is followed in stores. This is a problem. But we have also talked about our education system is letting young people down, esp young black men. They are getting grades in school that allows them just enough to play sports. Once their high school career is over, the only thing they are equppied for is life on the streets. No job skills, no college future of any kind. I know of a dealer that was selling pot to a 1st grader. He said he was doing it because it was the only way he could make money. 2 lives being destroyed because it was the only life they knew.

I don't know how to do that but that is a red herring. This is bigger than this single act upon this man. It is about all the others that came before and those that are sure to come. The police treat us differently. They treat our children differently. I've lived this my whole life so you telling me doesn't exist is pretty laughable. But as to the extent of Chauvin...I dont know what his real motivations are...but we aren't going stand to for being killed in the streets for any reason.

I'm not stating that race doesn't play a role in certain cases.. However, statistically speaking, whites are killed at a higher rate by the police. So I view this as a excessive force issue. Race ties in it with certain cases, but I personally believe this is more than just a race issue. I believe systematically, this is a power issue and doesn't matter what color you are. The media paints a different picture most of the times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT