ADVERTISEMENT

The New Lounge

Now that the personal stuff is hopefully done... if you haven’t yet, give top Republican lawyer Ben Ginsberg’s piece a read... he was the GOP lawyer behind the 2000 recount battle, and worked for just about every Republican campaign and major voting case since (Sorry, just realized you may need a WaPo subscription to read it?)

“The president’s actions — urging his followers to commit an illegal act and seeking to undermine confidence in the credibility of election results — are doubly wrong... The president’s words make his and the Republican Party’s rhetoric look less like sincere concern — and more like transactional hypocrisy designed to provide an electoral advantage. And they come as Republicans trying to make their cases in courts must deal with the basic truth that four decades of dedicated investigation have produced only isolated incidents of election fraud.”

We are in such a strange time... Trump is literally committing a crime when he repeatedly urges his followers to vote several times, and he is urging them to commit a crime. But it seems that it simply doesn’t matter anymore if the President blatantly and on video breaks the law.

And Trumps longtime friend, political advisor, and self-described dirtiest player in the game, is advising Trump to use federal forces to seize ballots, arrest journalists, and possibly invoke martial law if he loses?

I really hope this is just a bizarre blip in American history and not a sign of what’s ahead, because our country can’t take this being the new norm.

But at least Trump isn’t doing something REALLY crazy, like accusing Joe Biden of being a drug add...

:oops:

Oh, and for numbers people, Biden is still about seven or eight points ahead, a lead which is about the same as the start of summer. Biden gained about five favorability points post convention... Trump, on the other hand, LOST ground after the convention, which is unheard of. Interesting that, unlike in 2016, there are very few undecided voters, and no real third party candidates other than GOP-surrogate Kanye West. (Btw, at some point can we talk about how ****ing bizarre that whole story is, that the Republicans are actively working to put a clearly-mentally-disturbed man on the ballot as a political ploy? But it’s 2020, so it’s the new norm, I guess?)

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
You know, is it worth posting any of this? I don't know who is actually left here who is actually interested in political discussion and not just getting off on attacking people online?

Who is still here and reading? Can we do a role call?

Oh, and for numbers people, Biden is still about seven or eight points ahead, a lead which is about the same as the start of summer. Biden gained about five favorability points post convention... Trump, on the other hand, LOST ground after the convention, which is unheard of. Interesting that, unlike in 2016, there are very few undecided voters, and no real third party candidates other than GOP-surrogate Kanye West. (Btw, at some point can we talk about how ****ing bizarre that whole story is, that the Republicans are actively working to put a clearly-mentally-disturbed man on the ballot as a political ploy? But it’s 2020, so it’s the new norm, I guess?)

Biden needs to maintain at least a 5 point lead (more if possible) to overcome Trumps built in advantages in the Electoral College. In 2018, Democrats were polling at +7 and still managed to lose the Governorship in Florida. Nothing should be taken for granted and every state should be contested especially with the money advantage that Biden now has. No one should be comfortable with any lead until after November 3rd.

There is a huge enthusiasm gap that is a major problem for Biden. That is the main reason for the push for mail in voting. When you look at voter registration numbers, they don't look good for Democrats. Democrats are re-registering as Independents at about the same pace as gaining newly registered voters. Republicans are outpacing democrats nationwide with newly registered voters and in Pennsylvania, a key state, reps are outpacing dems at 5 times the rate. That and you look at Trump’s primary votes where he had no challengers, he shattered state records for primary votes for an incumbent president and had more primary votes than any incumbent president in history. I know it sounds cliché, but the silent majority is a real thing and people tend to vote with their wallets. So... good luck.

There is a huge enthusiasm gap that is a major problem for Biden. That is the main reason for the push for mail in voting. When you look at voter registration numbers, they don't look good for Democrats. Democrats are re-registering as Independents at about the same pace as gaining newly registered voters. Republicans are outpacing democrats nationwide with newly registered voters and in Pennsylvania, a key state, reps are outpacing dems at 5 times the rate. That and you look at Trump’s primary votes where he had no challengers, he shattered state records for primary votes for an incumbent president and had more primary votes than any incumbent president in history. I know it sounds cliché, but the silent majority is a real thing and people tend to vote with their wallets. So... good luck.

The numbers simply don’t bare that out and it’s not what I’m seeing on the ground in a battleground state. Still a lot of time left though. Votes for the President in the primary who is running unopposed are worthless in terms of any meaningful data. I think this enthusiasm gap is a myth that the President is using to keep his base in line.

I do agree that this country does have a silent majority but, judging from the returns in 2018, they will probably vote against the incumbent. Realistically, undecided voters this late in the game will statistically decide to vote against the incumbent. The President has had 4 years to convince them and if he doesn’t have them now, it’s unlikely they swing to him before the election. Unlikely but not impossible.

Each election is different but I think the Biden campaign is happy with where they are right now.

Biden needs to maintain at least a 5 point lead (more if possible) to overcome Trumps built in advantages in the Electoral College. In 2018, Democrats were polling at +7 and still managed to lose the Governorship in Florida. Nothing should be taken for granted and every state should be contested especially with the money advantage that Biden now has. No one should be comfortable with any lead until after November 3rd.

Of course! But this one has been remarkably consistent… And I just don’t get trumps approach… I haven’t seen him do anything to reach out to new voters. I honestly am not sure he truly wants to do this again… I know that sounds crazy, but that makes more realistic sense to me than the people worrying he will lose and not leave office. I still remember Howard stern talking about conversations they had where Trump said he had no interest in winning, it was all just to drum up interest in starting a new conservative TV network.

The numbers simply don’t bare that out and it’s not what I’m seeing on the ground in a battleground state. Still a lot of time left though. Votes for the President in the primary who is running unopposed are worthless in terms of any meaningful data. I think this enthusiasm gap is a myth that the President is using to keep his base in line.

I do agree that this country does have a silent majority but, judging from the returns in 2018, they will probably vote against the incumbent. Realistically, undecided voters this late in the game will statistically decide to vote against the incumbent. The President has had 4 years to convince them and if he doesn’t have them now, it’s unlikely they swing to him before the election. Unlikely but not impossible.

Each election is different but I think the Biden campaign is happy with where they are right now.
Wait. The enthusiasm gap is a myth? This is a joke, right? Like I said, good luck.

Wait. The enthusiasm gap is a myth? This is a joke, right? Like I said, good luck.

It’s not about luck, it’s about numbers. You can talk about enthusiasm all you want but if Trump voters are so enthusiastic, why is his campaign out of money?

I looked up his ad buys this week and the campaign is not running any ads Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. These are states that he needs to win and it makes zero sense not to spend there when the goal is to get to 270. Not spending money in Pennsylvania is especially insane considering how much he has already spent there. The strategy does not make sense.

You’re narrative does not fit the current reality.

Last edited:
It’s not about luck, it’s about numbers. You can talk about enthusiasm all you want but if Trump voters are so enthusiastic, why is his campaign out of money?

I looked up his ad buys this week and the campaign is not running any adds Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. These are states that he needs to win and it makes zero sense not to spend there when the goal is to get to 270. Not spending money in Pennsylvania is especially insane considering how much he has already spent there. The strategy does not make sense.

You’re narrative does not fit reality.
Your narrative was destroyed by reality in 2016 and it will be again this year. Link to Trump's campaign being out of money?

Of course! But this one has been remarkably consistent… And I just don’t get trumps approach… I haven’t seen him do anything to reach out to new voters. I honestly am not sure he truly wants to do this again… I know that sounds crazy, but that makes more realistic sense to me than the people worrying he will lose and not leave office. I still remember Howard stern talking about conversations they had where Trump said he had no interest in winning, it was all just to drum up interest in starting a new conservative TV network.

I think he definitely wants to win now for a variety of reasons. He’s an unindicted co-conspirator in Cohens case as well as all the financial investigations that are on going. He has legit legal reasons to win.

I think his problem is he has idiots running his campaign. They have no focus or strategy that I can see to get to 270.

Thanks. Still find it amusing that you are claiming that the enthusiasm gap is a myth and basing that off of campaign funds. We'll see.

The enthusiasm gap is a myth for a lot of reasons. I just gave you the easiest one to research for yourself. If you want to know the truth about a campaign, look at where they’re spending money. That will tell you what’s really going on.

The enthusiasm gap is a myth for a lot of reasons. I just gave you the easiest one to research for yourself. If you want to know the truth about a campaign, look at where they’re spending money. That will tell you what’s really going on.

Trump spending is one of the reasons I think he doesn’t actually wanna win… He’s not spending money in any way shape or form like somebody trying to get votes.

Btw, interesting summary of the political mess at the CDC...

September 12, 2020 (Saturday)

Last night, at about 10:30, reporter Dan Diamond posted another blockbuster story in Politico. Political appointees at the Department of Health and Human Services have been altering the weekly scientific reports issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) following the course of the coronavirus pandemic. They believe the reports are undermining Trump’s cheery pronouncements about the disease, and claim there is a “deep state” at the CDC determined to hurt the president.

Since 1981, career scientists have compiled Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports to inform Americans about trends in disease. These records are not controversial. But in April, Trump passed over scientists to install one of his campaign advisers as assistant secretary of HHS for public affairs. Michael Caputo was a long-time Republican operative, an associate of Roger Stone who had worked for Russia’s Gasprom Media to improve the image of Vladimir Putin in the U.S.

Caputo promptly began trying to change the CDC reports on Covid. Although he has no background in medicine or science, he and his team claim that the scientists are exaggerating the dangers of Covid-19. An aide, Paul Alexander, wrote an email to CDC Director Robert Redfield calling for retroactive modifications to two reports, saying, “CDC to me appears to be writing hit pieces on the administration.” Alexander, recruited by Caputo from his position as an assistant professor of health research at Hamilton's McMaster University in Canada, has demanded that the CDC stop issuing reports until he is given the right to review them before publication and to make line edits.

“Our intention is to make sure that evidence, science-based data drives policy through this pandemic—not ulterior deep state motives in the bowels of CDC," Caputo said

2016, same story.

In 2016, Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million and threaded the needle in a couple of battleground states to win. That was also against an unlikable candidate in Hillary Clinton. A perfect storm so to speak.

He now has significant headwind against him because of things he’s done as President. I’ve never said that Trump can’t win but if you think this is the same as 2016 your more uninformed than I thought.

• Haha
In 2016, Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million and threaded the needle in a couple of battleground states to win. That was also against an unlikable candidate in Hillary Clinton. A perfect storm so to speak.

He now has significant headwind against him because of things he’s done as President. I’ve never said that Trump can’t win but if you think this is the same as 2016 your more uninformed than I thought.
We'll see.

I looked up his ad buys this week and the campaign is not running any ads Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. These are states that he needs to win and it makes zero sense not to spend there when the goal is to get to 270. Not spending money in Pennsylvania is especially insane considering how much he has already spent there. The strategy does not make sense.

You’re narrative does not fit the current reality.

Your*

Hard to have a political discussion with the people who make excuses for the self described pussy grabber who has talked about intentionally grabbing, touching, and fondly women who didn't want him to touch them. The blinders come on with supreme orange cult leader no matter what he says or does. Biden is an odd old man. Who behaves like a weird touchy feely grandpa. Where I take issue with him is the women who've come out talking about the unwarranted comments and touching.

People who treat this election like 2016 are delusional.

I think it is very safe to say that Hillary Clinton was the most hated of all major candidates of the modern day. People HATED her... “that shrill, pushy, scheming bitch”... and it was hate decades in the making... she was unique in that the entire GOP radio/media... Rush, Fox, all of it... came to be largely because of her and her husband, and they remained the focus of it for decades. I mean, Trump supporters STILL chant “Lock her up” and she hasn’t been in the public eye for nearly four years. She was a unique candidate.

Joe Biden is a guy who buys beer for firefighters and who took the train home to see his kids every night when his wife and daughter were killed in a car wreck.

Its just not the same.

Add to that the insanity of this Trump presidency, when REPUBLICANS say things like that they suspect he is owned by Russia and that he just wants to divide us and he is failing during a pandemic and he is morally bankrupt and an idiot and that he is incompetent and dangerous... REPUBLICANS say that...

I just don’t get how any Trump fan could feel confident about his reelection chances. It defies reality.

But so does thinking he is doing a good job, of thinking that Joe Biden is a genuine pedophile. So...

@Crest is Garbage thoughts on those quotes from TheDude about underage girls? Pretty normal stuff from a teacher?

I would have never had that conversation on a message board in the first place. I also don’t care what type of female the guy prefers as its none of my business. Y’all are just random people on the internet to me, your thoughts and opinions on a given subject don’t really matter to me.

The fact that you keep pushing this reflects poorly on you though. I think you have an unhealthy obsession that you may need to address.

I think it is very safe to say that Hillary Clinton was the most hated of all major candidates of the modern day. People HATED her... “that shrill, pushy, scheming bitch”... and it was hate decades in the making... she was unique in that the entire GOP radio/media... Rush, Fox, all of it... came to be largely because of her and her husband, and they remained the focus of it for decades. I mean, Trump supporters STILL chant “Lock her up” and she hasn’t been in the public eye for nearly four years. She was a unique candidate.

Joe Biden is a guy who buys beer for firefighters and who took the train home to see his kids every night when his wife and daughter were killed in a car wreck.

Its just not the same.

Add to that the insanity of this Trump presidency, when REPUBLICANS say things like that they suspect he is owned by Russia and that he just wants to divide us and he is failing during a pandemic and he is morally bankrupt and an idiot and that he is incompetent and dangerous... REPUBLICANS say that...

I just don’t get how any Trump fan could feel confident about his reelection chances. It defies reality.

But so does thinking he is doing a good job, of thinking that Joe Biden is a genuine pedophile. So...

I don’t think the people here are a good reflection of the country as a whole. I think the polls show that the majority of Americans feel differently than they do.

Most of the opinions expressed by these guys are how they “feel” about the election, how their friends “feel”, etc. They don’t actually look at the numbers, the money, etc. They don’t know how to actually evaluate the numbers.

This will be an extremely close election but not because of the reasons they believe. It will be close because of the built in advantage that Republicans have in the Electoral College.

Hard to have a political discussion with the people who make excuses for the self described pussy grabber who has talked about intentionally grabbing, touching, and fondly women who didn't want him to touch them. The blinders come on with supreme orange cult leader no matter what he says or does. Biden is an odd old man. Who behaves like a weird touchy feely grandpa. Where I take issue with him is the women who've come out talking about the unwarranted comments and touching.
I'm not seeing anyone making excuses for him. I focus on issues and which ones I consider important. And for that reason, I will not be voting for Biden. It's not always about the person. And the republicans are garbage too. But they are the closest party to my beliefs. Sorry for your hurt feelings.

Reactions: SNU0821
If Democrats win the Presidency and both houses of Congress, I think they should move to make Puerto Rico and DC states, then expand the House of Representatives to reflect the population gain of the last century. This would go a long way of ending the tyranny of the minority that we are currently dealing with.

It would also force the Republican Party to expel the more extreme elements of the current base in order to have a shot at winning elections. This country needs a sensible Republican Party.

Last edited:
Btw, for people who don’t keep up on polling, a number of the major polls made changes post-2016 bc they felt they didn’t accurately capture the Non college educated white male vote... ie Trumps base, and people who are less likely to respond to polls. So the polls you see now reflect that, which makes 2016 comparisons even harder.

Jesus... this is TRUMPS OWN former Deputy Director of National Intelligence, pointing out that the President of the United States is using Russian intelligence talking points.

If Democrats win the Presidency and both houses of Congress, I think they should move to make Puerto Rico and DC states, then expand the House of Representatives to reflect the population gain of the last century. This would go a long way of ending the tyranny of the minority that we are currently dealing with.

It would also force the Republican Party to expel the more extreme elements of the current base in order to have a shot at winning elections. This country needs a sensible Republican Party.
You're not radical at all.

Reactions: SNU0821
Who’s making excuses for Trump? Seriously. I’m starting to think you have some sort of mental issue because you keep making shit up.

I'm not seeing anyone making excuses for him. I focus on issues and which ones I consider important. And for that reason, I will not be voting for Biden. It's not always about the person. And the republicans are garbage too. But they are the closest party to my beliefs. Sorry for your hurt feelings.

Faux News, his allies, supporters of the cult, Rush, Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Breitbart, OAN, and others make excuses for his actions and words all the time. I mean, it's not all that different from the "vote blue no matter who" crowd or how MSNBC treats Biden with kids gloves. People don't want to actually take a critical look at their candidates any longer.

You know... another thing that has been getting a little strange is police departments getting engaged in social media campaigns that just seem designed to make things worse.

Assuming people saw this story of some lunatic ambushing and shooting two cops in California. ****ing disgusting, and obviously denounced by EVERYONE, bc no rational person thinks we should shoot cops. These are men and women who volunteer for what I think is the hardest job that is possible... maintaining law and order in a population where the vast majority of people are peaceful, but always with the threat of murderous violence just a breath away. It’s an impossible job.

But then official LA County Sheriffs twitter feed posts this:

And suddenly people begin to imagine there is some big black lives matter protest full of people calling for cops to die. And obviously (and rightfully) this is going to make people really, really angry.

But then it turns out... it’s not some big protest, like has been happening around the country... it’s a few assholes being assholes.

Now, obliviously these guys are ****ing douchebags.

But I don’t get... why is the LA Sheriffs twitter tweeting this? Like... they dealt with the guys. They arrested one guy and that was the end of it. It isn’t like there were more protests planned. It isn’t like it was still happening. The guys who were doing it weren’t checking twitter for updates. The tweet seems to serve absolutely no positive public interest.

And I don’t get it. I mean, I get that cops are pissed, and I get that this is particularly vile... but I feel like police department twitter feeds should be aimed at calming tensions, always.

And the NYC Sergeants Benevolence twitter feed... It’s like openly angry and hostile. (Gotta add, I get that it is a union twitter and not a department twitter, and union twitters are a different thing, but still...)

I just don’t get it. I feel like an official twitter feed of a police department should be operated at a very high standard, and I hate when instead they seem to be fanning the flames.

Last edited:

Its just not the same.

Hahahahaha ha. This is so delusional. I honestly can’t believe they let you be around children. You’re so far gone with TDS that there is no hope for you. Well, that and you’re a pedo and a terrible human.

This is the extreme liberal left. Pure insanity.

Who’s making excuses for Trump? Seriously. I’m starting to think you have some sort of mental issue because you keep making shit up.

No, you're just a part of the cult of Trump and unwilling to admit he is a piece of human garbage. If Obama did half of the shit the orange **** head has said or done the same people supporting Trump now would have been calling for Obama's head. Don't take that as me saying Obama is free from criticism either. He isn't. I have many qualms with his tenure in office.

You know... another thing that has been getting a little strange is police departments getting engaged in social media campaigns that just seem designed to make things worse.

Assuming people saw this story of some lunatic ambushing and shooting two cops in California. ****ing disgusting, and obviously denounced by EVERYONE, bc no rational person thinks we should shoot cops. These are men and women who volunteer for what I think is the hardest job that is possible... maintaining law and order in a population where the vast majority of people are peaceful, but always with the threat of murderous violence just a breath away. It’s an impossible job.

But then official LA County Sheriffs twitter feed posts this:

And suddenly people begin to imagine there is some big black lives matter protest full of people calling for cops to die. And obviously (and rightfully) this is going to make people really, really angry.

But then it turns out... it’s not some big protest, like has been happening around the country... it’s a few assholes being assholes.

Now, obliviously these guys are ****ing douchebags.

But I don’t get... why is the LA Sheriffs twitter tweeting this? Like... they dealt with the guys. They arrested one guy and that was the end of it. It isn’t like there were more protests planned. It isn’t like it was still happening. The tweet seems to serve absolutely no positive public interest.

And I don’t get it. I mean, I get that cops are pissed, and I get that this is particularly vile... but I feel like police department twitter feeds should be aimed at calming tensions, always.

And the NYC Sergeants Benevolence twitter feed... It’s like openly angry and hostile.

I just don’t get it. I feel like an official twitter feed of a police department should be operated at a very high standard, and I hate when instead they seem to be fanning the flames.
BLM is a disgusting group that should be labeled a domestic terror organization. Not surprised that you make excuses for them.

• Love
No, you're just a part of the cult of Trump and unwilling to admit he is a piece of human garbage. If Obama did half of the shit the orange **** head has said or done the same people supporting Trump now would have been calling for Obama's head. Don't take that as me saying Obama is free from criticism either. He isn't. I have many qualms with his tenure in office.
I’m now positive you have mental issues. I, and others here, have said we don’t like Trump personally. Again, I’m happy to put up with Trump to keep the Democrats out of office. That doesn’t mean I have to love the guy or excuse everything he has said or done. But here you are. Completely ignoring all of those things because ORANGE MAN BADDDDDDD! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT