ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
CfJiO-tUUAAymOx.jpg

Did UNC Mislead SACS and NCAA?

Making Sense of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's "Independent Studies" Policy

Documents Indicate that UNC's Again Misled its Accreditation Body, SACS

There has been considerable additional attention as of late on the limit on independent study courses at UNC, in large part because of award-winning News & Observer reporter Dan Kane's latest article. The key issue is whether athletes were given the "benefit" of exceeding this limit, thus rendering them ineligible by UNC's own standards...

http://bluedevilicious.blogspot.com/2016/04/did-unc-mislead-sacs-and-ncaa.html

Shameless. Roy dares the NCAA to sanction unx...

Roy Williams doesn't expect UNC hoops to get 'hit in any way at all' by NCAA sanctions

North Carolina coach Roy Williams doesn't expect the men's basketball program to be penalized by the NCAA once it completes its Notice of Allegations into the long-running academic fraud case that involved students and athletes at the school over an 18-year period.

When asked Sunday during an ESPN interview at the NCAA tournament's Final Four about the chances that North Carolina gets hit by NCAA sanctions, Williams said he would be speculating, but "I don't think we're going to get hit in any way at all. Hard to penalize somebody when you have no allegations against them.''

When asked to what extent the issuance of the Notice of Allegations has hurt the men's basketball program in areas such as recruiting, Williams said it had damaged the program because it had "painted it in a fairly negative opinion.''

"When the first notice of allegations came out, there were no allegations against men's basketball, and we tried to show that,'' Williams said in the ESPN interview from Houston, where the Tar Heels will play for the NCAA championship at 9:19 p.m. ET Monday. "People have to choose what they want to choose, but I knew that's what it's going to be because there was nothing there. We were not involved, but you know the NCAA has their process, and they've got to go through. I think they feel we have cooperated as much as you possibly can and gone through five different investigations, two in-house, one by the former governor, one by a federal prosecutor, now the NCAA, and every one of the them has said, you know, Coach Williams is telling the truth.

"And so that makes me feel better and each time they say it makes me, but still, it's still there, but it's something we've got to put up with. When I came here, and I've been criticized for this, when I came here, I said, "Guys, let's just please just focus on these Final Four teams and the kids and everything, and I've been criticized for that, and I think that's what we should be focusing on."

Williams said he has dealt with more personal attacks on his integrity and credibility.

"That made me a little more combative because that's something that I treasure,'' Williams said. "It's something that's extremely important to me is my credibility, my integrity, and it always used to be that somebody just tried to outwork everyone. Well, that's still the way I feel, but nobody ever attacked me personally like I feel some of the stuff has been more recently. I don't know if I've just gotten to the end and said, 'The heck with it, I'm not going to walk away and not say anything,' or I've just gotten older and don't care."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...pect-unc-hoops-get-hit-way-all-ncaa-sanctions

Approaching retirement age, UNC's Roy Williams as feisty and thin-skinned as ever

Roy Williams lives at a conflicted intersection. He fancies himself a fighter but has an emotional glass jaw.

He will say he doesn't care about the critical things that are occasionally said and written about him, but some of them still seem to crawl inside his self-acknowledged thin skin and take root.

There was the rant about ESPN's "Green Room Guys." There were the shots at CBS Sports' Doug Gottlieb. There were pugnacious, almost threatening words for Washington Post writer Kent Babb. On Saturday, Williams told a postgame media contingent, "I'm a hell of a lot smarter about basketball than you are" – a truism, for sure, but probably one that could have gone unsaid after winning to advance to the national title game against Villanova.

If this is Ol' Roy's last season, as some have suspected, he has touched seemingly every emotion along the way.

North Carolina's return to dominance in 2015-16, after a fairly extended stay at good-but-not-great, has been accompanied by the omnipresent cloud of NCAA investigation. Williams has protested the cloud's presence throughout.

Last summer, he sat in his office and discussed the NCAA Notice of Allegations that was delivered as the result of a sprawling academic scandal that engulfed the entire university. North Carolina was accused of five major rules violations, including lack of institutional control, but Williams himself was not charged with wrongdoing.

"I've said I felt very comfortable for a very long time because we've been investigated by 73 people and all 12 disciples of the Lord it feels like, and every one of them has said Roy Williams didn't know anything about this; he didn't do anything,'' he said at the time, with customary flourish. "So there was a sense of relief, but it's what I expected. It wasn't a big relief because it's what I thought was going to be there."

If Carolina basketball continues to escape tangible punishment in a scandal that has cost many others affiliated with the school dearly, it will not be received well by cynical college sports fans who suspect the Tar Heels are too big to fail.

The Carolina backlash has only grown as this season has unfolded and the Heels have advanced. It's one thing to avoid the NCAA hammer; it's another to win a title and avoid the hammer.

But while the outside world sees North Carolina potentially poised to get away scot-free and take the hardware with it, the feeling on the inside is that this has been an unending nightmare. And that bringing it up now, during the chase for a championship, is unfair.

"I would hope that if we're at the Final Four, it's about four teams of young men that should have this moment for themselves," Williams said Sunday at NRG Stadium. "We would have enough fire to burn this whole building down if we burnt all the paper that has been written about that stuff in the last 2½ years."

More will be written Monday night if the Heels win it. North Carolina and its coach should go ahead and brace for that now.

For a guy who has spent much of this season looking for fights, Roy Williams backed away from one Sunday afternoon.

Williams had been sufficiently feisty with the media for long enough that Pete Thamel of Sports Illustrated asked him a provocative question that also happened to be his first question of the day: "The last couple days, throughout this tournament, you've kind of tried to dictate what questions are asked of you. You don't want to be asked about retirement or the NCAA scandal. I'm curious why you as a coach feel like you have the right to dictate what's asked of you?"

That led to a communal inhale among a couple hundred reporters, waiting for Old Faithful to blow.

It didn't happen.

"Good question," Williams responded, placidly. "I don't have a great answer.

"I'm just being a human being. I've been asked five times since the ACC tournament, at least, if I was going to retire. So in today's time of social media, why in the dickens can't people get that information without feeling like they have to ask it themselves?

"For 2½ years I've been asked about the other stuff. I've answered it the same way every year. In today's times, why do I have to repeat the same thing? … I guess I would disagree with your question."

After that fairly disarming response, Williams referred back to the question four more times over the next 30 minutes. It stuck with him, just like the heckling Syracuse fans Saturday night. A lot has changed across eight Final Four appearances in 25 years as a head coach, but feisty Roy Williams still has the same glass jaw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/approa...406.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

Reactions: harttochesson
UNC to Award Players with Three Credits in Net-Cutting if They Win National Title

The North Carolina Tar Heels are just 40 minutes away from winning the program’s sixth national title, but university administrators are prepared to sweeten the pot for the players by offering credit towards their degree if the team cuts down the nets on Monday night.

In fact, UNC will give the players three credits for a special course named Celebratory Net-Cutting 405.

“Climbing up a ladder high above the ground and using a sharp tool to cut a single strand of net is a skill as difficult and delicate as performing ballet, in my opinion, and universities give academic credit for that,” said head coach Roy Williams. “I think they should get more than three credits, to be honest. And my players need more than three credits, too. I don’t think any of them are even close to being eligible academically for next season.”

The coach said the net-cutting course shows North Carolina is taking education seriously again.

“It would be easy for us to just make up fake courses again and have tutors do all the players’ work,” said Williams. “But we’re not doing that. We’re making them put in the time. In fact, that’s an actual course. Time Studies. The players all sat in a room today for 10 minutes and learned about the passage of time. That was worth nine credits of independent study. And they all aced it.”

NCAA president Mark Emmert said his organization is pleased with the changes the UNC athletic department has made.

“We’re happy with any real courses they want to create for their players,” said Emmert, “as long as they don’t teach them about basic worker rights or unionizing.”

Last edited:
Apparently Roy himself took suspicious classes too while working on his master's. A beautiful passage of his own admission can be found on pages 51-52 of his autobiography, "Hard Work."

In the final summer of my graduate school year, I needed two more courses to get my degree. One was required and the other I wanted to be really easy. I heard about a guidance counseling course taught by Dr. Perry. I’d heard it had no tests, no papers, and no projects. That was my kind of class. My roommate, Roy Barnes and I went to find out about it and were told it was full. So I told Roy that we were going to see Dr. Perry at his house. Roy didn’t want to go, so he hid behind a bush when I knocked on Dr. Perry’s door.

When he opened the door, I said, “Dr. Perry, my name is Roy Williams. I’m in graduate school in health and physical education finishing my master’s. I need one more course to graduate. I would like to take your course, but they said the only I could get in was with professor approval. Dr. Perry, this is it for me. They told me your course has no tests, no papers, no projects — and I’m being honest with you, that’s what I want. I can contribute to the class with the best of them. Will you let me in?”

Last edited:
Haha this stuff is gold today. I can understand his response to the retiring question though, but he has to know he's getting hammered about the scandal because he is lying. I just wish one of these reporters would prepare themselves when he does his usual bit and call him on his lies in the interview.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Unusual take here. The writer admits unx cheated their azzes off but also calls it "noble" because the NCAA is corrupt yada yada yada. As one of the comments attests , the writer fails to mention unx's "carolina way" nonsense. Yes , the flagship thumbed their noses at a broken , self-interested system. They also did it while flaunting a holier-than-thou "we do things the right way and you don't" attitude towards the rest of the world. They were every bit as corrupt and self-interested as the NCAA so , no , "noble" isn't the word I'd choose...

UNC's Blatantly Fake Classes Were The Best Thing For Athletes

The NCAA is expected to complete its investigation into claims of long-running academic fraud at North Carolina within the next few weeks, and given the size and scope of what’s alleged, major sanctions are a distinct possibility. But Roy Williams isn’t sweating it. He believes the basketball program will get off scot-free. And it should.

The scandal largely concerns the university’s Department of African and Afro-American Studies, which is accused of offering sham independent-study “paper classes.” Athletes made up a disproportionate number of the students in these classes, with players from the football, and men’s and women’s basketball teams enrolling in large numbers. The NCAA’s Notice of Allegations says players were “steered” to those classes by advisors in the athletics department, and that it was common for players to receive high grades regardless of the quality of their work.

As the Tar Heels have made it all the way to tonight’s national championship game, Williams is being asked about the scandal more and more. In an interview with ESPN yesterday, Williams bemoaned its drag on recruiting, but dismissed any fear of actual punishment.

(The 2014 Notice of Allegations does not specifically accuse men’s basketball of anything, though the program repeatedly appears as one that sent a large number of players through the AFAM department, with 167 paper class enrollments since Williams took over in 2003. Former player Rashad McCants has said Williams was “100 percent” aware of the paper class system; whistleblower Mary Willingham claimed Williams told her in a conversation that her job was to keep his players eligible. As of the 2014 Notice of Allegations, neither accusation was corroborated.)

If we assume that the bulk of the allegations against UNC are true—applying the criterion of embarrassment, it seems safe to do so—then congratulations to Tar Heel athletics for gaming an eminently gamable system in a way that played a partial but significant role in building a winning program. To the NCAA, this is a scandal, but to North Carolina and the athletes who took part, this was very obviously the right thing to do, a way of meeting scam requirements with scam action.

MORE...

http://deadspin.com/uncs-blatantly-fake-classes-were-the-best-thing-for-ath-1768863752

UNC to Award Players with Three Credits in Net-Cutting if They Win National Title

The North Carolina Tar Heels are just 40 minutes away from winning the program’s sixth national title, but university administrators are prepared to sweeten the pot for the players by offering credit towards their degree if the team cuts down the nets on Monday night.

In fact, UNC will give the players three credits for a special course named Celebratory Net-Cutting 405.

“Climbing up a ladder high above the ground and using a sharp tool to cut a single strand of net is a skill as difficult and delicate as performing ballet, in my opinion, and universities give academic credit for that,” said head coach Roy Williams. “I think they should get more than three credits, to be honest. And my players need more than three credits, too. I don’t think any of them are even close to being eligible academically for next season.”

The coach said the net-cutting course shows North Carolina is taking education seriously again.

“It would be easy for us to just make up fake courses again and have tutors do all the players’ work,” said Williams. “But we’re not doing that. We’re making them put in the time. In fact, that’s an actual course. Time Studies. The players all sat in a room today for 10 minutes and learned about the passage of time. That was worth nine credits of independent study. And they all aced it.”

NCAA president Mark Emmert said his organization is pleased with the changes the UNC athletic department has made.

“We’re happy with any real courses they want to create for their players,” said Emmert, “as long as they don’t teach them about basic worker rights or unionizing.”

DevilDJ, this is hilarious!!!!!!!

OFC

Did UNC Break Federal Law? UNC Academic Fraud and Implications for Pell Grant Awards

Yesterday, I discussed the evidence that UNC violated its own academic policy regarding the limits on independent studies as a follow-up to Dan Kane's article in the News and Observer. (for more details on this issue, Mr. Kane's article is highly recommended.) The implications for violating this policy reach beyond the academic fraud issues and could impact the validity of UNC's Pell Grant awards.

Why? Enrollment status is used to determine federal student aid awards. A student enrolled half-time only receives half of the award given to a student enrolled full-time. The determination is made based on credits towards the degree in which the student is enrolled.

While this issue also impacts the current NCAA investigation of UNC, the latest findings raise the question of whether UNC broke federal law by including courses that should not have counted toward students' degrees to determine aid eligibility.

And if UNC did it, how widespread is the problem? Are federal dollars, designed to assist students in obtaining an education, actually being used instead to ensure athlete eligibility to continue funding athletic department coffers?

MORE...

http://bluedevilicious.blogspot.com/2016/04/did-unc-break-federal-law-unc-academic.html?spref=tw

Academic Fraud, Impermissible Benefits, and the UNC case: The Theater of the Absurd

Parts of this document were posted as a daily update on BlueDevilicious.com on 1/24/2016. I'm updating it here, since the issue of academic fraud and whether this is in the NCAA's "wheelhouse" as some call it, still continues. At the end, I discuss why the NCAA's decision is a critical one both for academics as well as athletics.

MORE...

http://bluedevilicious.blogspot.com/2016/04/academic-fraud-impermissible-benefits.html?spref=tw

Joe Nocera ‏@NoceraNYT

Joe Nocera Retweeted LEROY CORSO Fraudulent classes wrong whether involving athletes or not. Issue for accreditation board, not NCAA.

Ted Tatos ‏@BlueDevilicious

@NoceraNYT Correct, academic fraud has been established by SACS. NCAA issue is whether it impermissibly benefitted athletes & eligibility.

B. David Ridpath ‏@drridpath

@BlueDevilicious @NoceraNYT although NCAA has cited academic fraud in previous cases

@drridpath @NoceraNYT Yes, no reason for NCAA to allege in UNC case because UNC already admitted fraud to SACS. ? is effect on eligibility.

@BlueDevilicious @NoceraNYT NCAA picks and chooses when to use it because not a specific bylaw. Cited in Marshall case for one class.

@drridpath @NoceraNYT True, Marshall case involved copies of final exam, if I remember correctly.

@BlueDevilicious @NoceraNYT have everyone same benefit. Department voided exam, made students take additional class and NCAA still said AF. not that is wasn't bad but NCAA reached in and dictated how class was run and how university should react. even though other students involved. NCAA said target was athletes and I say same target for UNC, plus systemic over two decades, multiple teams, faculty, advisors, grade changes--you get the picture?

Dan ‏@FreeTheFalcon

@drridpath @BlueDevilicious @NoceraNYT Ridpath, what about the fraud you've helped perpetuate with Mary Willingham?

@FreeTheFalcon @BlueDevilicious @NoceraNYT and we have an idiot troll. Mary has been proven right- time and time again!

Joe Nocera ‏@NoceraNYT

@FreeTheFalcon @drridpath @BlueDevilicious The old story: blame the whistleblower.

Posted: Yesterday 11:48 PM Scandal thread v.7774 - Dear UNC:

manalishi
PP HOF - SpecOps
Rating: 4.1/5 this site
1523 posts this site
Ignore this Member

winner.jpg

Carry on.

And maybe without quite so much negativity this go-round?

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Being part of history can’t erase UNC’s sense of loss

North Carolina’s entire weekend had a sense of finality about it, in part because Johnson and Paige had given so much to North Carolina, endured so much during their careers, had spent four years building toward this moment. But there was also, unavoidably, the NCAA’s investigation hanging overhead.

There may not be a soul alive who at this moment knows how things will turn out, given the unprecedented nature of the allegations and the NCAA’s uncertain jurisdiction, but despite Williams’ protests to the contrary, men’s basketball was specifically mentioned as a program that benefited from the impermissible academic assistance.

These players didn’t have anything to do with what went on for far too long at North Carolina, but of course there’s no way to untangle the two. No one knows whether this was not just Paige and Johnson’s last shot at a title, but perhaps North Carolina’s last for a while.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article69970787.html

Yes , boys an' girls it's real. This is not a photoshop. IC at its finest upon learning that Nova cancelled classes today...

CfS_NpdXIAUA-Df.jpg

This graphic is REAL. F U John Skipper. Unreal...

CfQF3KZVAAATrDo.jpg

It doesn't show that Coach K won 5
dean smith won 2
hof coach roy williams won 2

That changes everything or am I missing something here. OFC

"Hey Mark , ya gotta minute? Wanna ask a favor..."

635954071901085778-USP-NCAA-BASKETBALL-FINAL-FOUR-CHAMPIONSHIP-GAME--80989854.JPG

" mr. jordan tell roy williams not to resign tonight. Every things gonna be alright.Tell John Swofford he's not going to lose his job either. They are also people who have the power to give roy a couple of extra scholarships over the next couple of years for screwing up his recruiting caused by all this mess. The NCAA loves the university of north carolina and you also michael. We apologize for any embarrassment that this has caused the peoples university. Thank you again mr. jordan for getting all this cleared up. Tell sylvia hatchell how much courage it took for her to lay down on the sword for the university and save the integrity and legacy of great men. One more thing we are now investigating this pay the referee fund scandal that has been going on for years. It's so hard to trace but we have a name.He is a poster from a a message board called DI. We know he is the organizer and the one that makes sure the money gets to the right place. We have a good source named Gary-7 that has been working under cover for a good while now. This scandal goes deep and involves hundreds of college officials. Once again mr. jordan thank you for letting me keep my job. ;) OFC

" mr. jordan tell roy williams not to resign tonight. Every things gonna be alright.Tell John Swofford he's not going to lose his job either. They are also people who have the power to give roy a couple of extra scholarships over the next couple of years for screwing up his recruiting caused by all this mess. The NCAA loves the university of north carolina and you also michael. We apologize for any embarrassment that this has caused the peoples university. Thank you again mr. jordan for getting all this cleared up. Tell sylvia hatchell how much courage it took for her to lay down on the sword for the university and save the integrity and legacy of great men. One more thing we are now investigating this pay the referee fund scandal that has been going on for years. It's so hard to trace but we have a name.He is a poster from a a message board called DI. We know he is the organizer and the one that makes sure the money gets to the right place. We have a good source named Gary-7 that has been working under cover for a good while now. This scandal goes deep and involves hundreds of college officials. Once again mr. jordan thank you for letting me keep my job. ;) OFC

Awesome. lollers

This subject has been touched on before. Found this info on it. unx fans say the "scandal" ( or "junk" as Roy calls it ) is hurting recruiting. True enough. But ROY is hurtin' it much more...

Posted: Today 4:31 PM Roy Hurting UNC Players NBA Draft Stock

wufpakman21
Starter
Rating: 2.3/5 this site
5032 posts this site
Ignore this Member

Heavy Sanctions are on the way for UNC basketball... anybody with common sense at this point realizes that. That said, even without the sanctions the recent history suggests that sticking around and playing for Roy at UNC is not a great career decision.

James Michael McAdoo was a projected lottery pick. Stayed in school under Roy and went undrafted. Literally lost millions in the process of not leaving UNC. To his credit he has caught on at GS at the end of the bench.

Marcus Paige was a end of 1st Rd, early 2nd rd lock after his Soph year. He stuck around, and after two subpar season's he is now projected to go undrafted. Again, he lost millions under Roy. Great kid, great 4 year college player, etc but what does he have to show for it now moving forward?

But what I really wanted to look at was the case of guys like Jackson and Hicks. Sure fire one and done or at the most 2 year players. 5 Star studs. Cant miss prospects.

Look at the current case of Justin Jackson and Isiah Hicks

Here is the Top 15 in the class of 2014:

1) Jahil Okafor - NBA one and done

2) Emmanuel Mudiay - Straight to pro's, Europe/NBA- Nuggets- one and done

3) Stanley Johnson- NBA- one and done

4) Karl Towns- NBA- one and done

5) Myles Turner- NBA- one and done

6) Cliff Alexander- Pro/Europe?- one and done

7)- Kelly Oubre _ NBA- one and done

8) Justice Winslow- NBA- one and done

9) Tyus Jones- NBA- one and done

10) Justin Jackson - still at UNC for a 3rd year?

11) Trey Lyles- NBA- one and done

12) Deangelo Russell- NBA- one and done

13) Kevin Looney- NBA- one and done

Others in the top 25 rated after Jackson:

Isiah Whitehead- declared/NBA/Big East POY, Chris McCullough/NBA, Devin Booker- NBA- one and done

Others projected to leave this year ranked after Jackson: Grayson Allen, Romelo Tribble, Tyler Ullis etc.

Essentially 90% of their class in the top 25 are gone making millions in the NBA. The only hold overs from the 2014 class still in school are essentially Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson, Thomas Welch and Devin Robinson. Two of those kids are at UNC. The rest are either NBA players right now or on the way this year. Making $$$ and living out their dreams.

Now take a look at Isiah Hicks class of 2013; top 20 member. Others in his class:

1) Andrew Wiggins- NBA one and done

2) Jabari Parker- NBA one and done

3) Julius Randle- NBA one and done

4) Harriston Twins- NBA two and done

6) Noah Vonleh- NBA one and done

7) Rondae Jefferson- NBA one and done

8) Chris Walker- Pro/Europe

9) Casey Hill- ??

10) James Younng- NBA one and done

11) Wayne Selden- Declared/NBA

12) Jerrell Martin- NBA

13) Terry Rozier- NBA

14) Bobby Portis- NBA

15) Dakaria Johnson- NBA

16) Isiah Hicks- Still at UNC

17) Cat Barber- Declared NBA

18) Joel Embid- NBA

19) Tyler Ennis- NBA

20) Marcus Lee- UK/declared NBA

Others of interest around top 25: Zach Levine- NBA, Demetrius Jackson- declared NBA, Jordan Mickey- NBA etc..

So this begs the question. After Roy has cost other guys like McAdoo and Paige a lot of $$$$$$ in either advising them to STAY in school or not developing them at the same rate as their peers....

Why are Justin Jackson, Isiah Hicks, and Theo Pinson the "outliers" in the top 25 that aren't A) Already in the NBA or B) On their way ?

The local media kind of ignores these FACTS. Hearing them talk out of one mouth about how college athletes need to be paid, and then on the same show talking about how guys like Jackson, and Hicks should come back to UNC.

Come back for what exactly? No money? Sanctions ? What is in it for these kids that have had their stock damaged by Roy to continue to play for nothing? The trend of Roy failing these high level recruits and Coach K pumping out one and done's of late is an interesting case study.

Reactions: skysdad
North Carolina’s entire weekend had a sense of finality about it, in part because Johnson and Paige had given so much to North Carolina, endured so much during their careers, had spent four years building toward this moment. But there was also, unavoidably, the NCAA’s investigation hanging overhead.

There may not be a soul alive who at this moment knows how things will turn out, given the unprecedented nature of the allegations and the NCAA’s uncertain jurisdiction, but despite Williams’ protests to the contrary, men’s basketball was specifically mentioned as a program that benefited from the impermissible academic assistance.

These players didn’t have anything to do with what went on for far too long at North Carolina, but of course there’s no way to untangle the two. No one knows whether this was not just Paige and Johnson’s last shot at a title, but perhaps North Carolina’s last for a while.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article69970787.html

Not the "bad guy?!" Yes they are , Brett. Lord Amighty , Friedlander doin' his usual slobber job on the CHeats. Guy's a bought-n-paid for hole. Another "Protecting media access" fluff piece. Pretty much Brett's specialty....

Tar Heels weren’t the ‘bad guy’ they were made out to be

The prevailing narrative from Villanova’s dramatic 77-74 victory at NRG Stadium, earned on a buzzer-beating 3-pointer by Kris Jenkins, is that the good guys came out on top while the bad guys got what they deserved.

There’s no doubt that the Wildcats are deserving champions and a true feel-good story. But to portray the Tar heels as an unsavory bunch of scoundrels guilty of breaking the rules, mailing in classes and every other possible transgression short of the Kennedy assassination isn’t just unfair, it’s completely inaccurate.

What the snarky internet memes always seem to ignore is the fact that none of the players on this year’s roster were around when the alleged NCAA violations currently under investigation were taking place. Or that they have all had to live up to more rigid academic standards because of the scrutiny their program is under and the changes that have taken place in the aftermath of the Wainstein Report.

Senior guard Marcus Paige, for instance, is a first-team Academic All-America and a two-time winner of the Skip Prosser Award as the ACC’s top scholar-athlete.

His college legacy should not be soiled by the deeds of others. Neither should that of his teammates.

And speaking of legacies — a subject that came up nearly as much in Houston last week as coach Roy Williams’ future and the scandal that has lingered on longer than the television series of the same name — it would also be a shame if Paige, Brice Johnson and the rest of these Tar Heels are ultimately remembered by the final five seconds they were on the court together.

They overcame too much over the past four years for that to happen. And they did it under the most intense kind of pressure imaginable.

“What hurts most is to see Joel (James) cry,” he said. “He’s a tremendous person off the court. I told him I want to be just like him — the grades he makes, the choices he makes, how hard he works. It’s just so important to me.”

That’s not the kind of thing bad guys say or think.

So go ahead and frame this UNC team in a negative light. Every epic tale needs its villain to be vanquished by the mythic hero. The difference here is that while the good guys won Monday night in Houston, the good guys also lost.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/53321/tar-heels-werent-the-bad-guy-they-were-made-out-to-be/

unx student paper....

Opinion: College sports deserve to be made ethical

We are proud. Our North Carolina Tar Heels have had an amazing tournament run, giving this community life.

Our memories, as always, mark and make this history. Your time on Franklin Street this semester — deafening chants, the smell of fires and the crystallization of a giant community suddenly and harmoniously showing itself — etches this history into a collective consciousness of now.

We felt that when we beat Duke, when we advanced to the title game and almost again last night.

We are proud to be Tar Heels. Those feelings, and memories, are worth protecting and preserving.

But for the last few years at UNC, and in this nation, loving college athletics has not been easy.

As much as coaches and administrators (even our beloved Coach Roy Williams) would like to ignore it, our university committed fraud and embarrassed itself by administering fake classes and siphoning athletes toward them.

Even Jan Boxill, a professor of sports ethics, administered fake classes.

But UNC didn’t operate in a vacuum. This scandal ultimately happened because colleges administer professional sports teams but won’t admit it because doing so would blow up the myth of amateurism — a myth that allows us to exploit the labor of athletes.

The NCAA, which could address these systemic issues, continues to act with purposeful stupidity in defending a regressive status quo. That structure creates a space for the wrongheaded actions that UNC took.

This all came to a climax with the release of the Wainstein report in fall 2014. This report painted an image of what the two decades of fraud and lies looked like. It was the University admitting to a problem but never fully accepting the weight of the blame.

We have written in the past on ideas for solutions, and there are many more ideas besides ours.

But it should be said again: Our college athletics damaged this university.

The departure of Chancellor Holden Thorp, the public relations scandals that followed and whatever sanctions might come have been real costs.

And in the same breath, we should also know this: College athletics help to make this university great.

After last night we must realize that this team, and sports in general, continues to be a cultural institutions that do incredible things.

Memories like this do not happen everywhere.

But, in order to keep this, we must actively look to address these real issues. If we do not take the time to fix the problems of college sports, we will go on tolerating lies and exploitation.

Ignoring and allowing these problems stains and erodes the greatness of sports. It stains and erodes our memories and our history.

We do not want to have to explain the greatness of this season with a prelude first on the issues in college sports.

Instead, let us look them in the eye and fix them. UNC can lead these efforts.

We are proud to be Tar Heels. As a community and university, let us continue to address the problems of college athletics so we never have to express that belief with doubts in our hearts.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2016/04/edit-1-0405-nova

Johnson: Collegiate athletics still struggling with academic accountability

Villanova’s win, on the other hand, points to the things that are right with a successful college basketball program.

Having a strong academic institution like Villanova as the reigning men’s basketball champion is the perfect example of what college sports should be,

It was also a bad look for the NCAA when setbacks in the UNC case noticeably allowed the men’s basketball team to play in March.

If the NCAA levies stiff penalties against UNC for 18 years of misconduct, an effective message would be sent about serious reform. If not, the outcry in academic circles will be substantial, but as usual, the games will continue.

http://onlineathens.com/opinion/201...tics-still-struggling-academic-accountability

If the NCAA levies stiff penalties against UNC for 18 years of misconduct, an effective message would be sent about serious reform. If not, the outcry in academic circles will be substantial, but as usual, the games will continue.

I don't know about the last part of that statement. Not if the talk about the lawsuits from formerly punished/investigated schools waiting in the wings or the unnamed US Senator watching developments just in case nothing happens are true...

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
UNC scandal forces NCAA to redefine its academic misconduct policy

There was confusion around college sports last summer when the NCAA hit North Carolina with a lack of institutional control charge for its academic fraud scandal. By charging North Carolina with "impermissible benefits," the NCAA used a phrase more commonly applied for gaining something of monetary value, not free academic grades.

The NCAA stayed away from the North Carolina case for years despite reports showing that a disproportionate number of athletes received high grades from bogus classes for decades in order to stay eligible. Finally, the NCAA acted by going with the impermissible benefits charge, a way around the NCAA bylaws and the constant confusion and frustration over who gets to define academic fraud -- the NCAA or the individual school.

On Friday, the NCAA Division I Council passed changes to clarify its academic integrity rules, marking the first legislative switch in this area since 1983. The North Carolina case is still pending. The NCAA has said a new notice of allegations will soon be sent to the university.....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...aa-to-redefine-its-academic-misconduct-policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT