ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Often wonder if Roy woulda expressed such concern if his players had been "clustering" in , say , Math or Science? "Ya know Wayne. Seems a whole buncha my fellerz are a-clusterin' in that dadgum Nuke-Klar Physics. Think I should pull 'em outta thar?"

Reactions: harttochesson
Love it when B-Rad gets his panties in a bunch. Here he does his usual companyman defense of unx versus another academic...one who is presumably STILL in the field rather than , say , sellin' shoes and bilking delusional fans to fund his delusional film-maker aspirations. Lollers....

Still more. Quick note to Bradley. Tellin' people ( particularly other academics ) that ya "worked in academic support at unc:" as if you're actually proud of it might not be something ya want on your resume. Jus' sayin..."

B-rad is so far outta his depth he's just making things WORSE for unx. Why someone hasn't muzzled 'im is a question for the ages. Were it not for that idiot fanbase pushin' 'im he probably woulda stfu by now. unx'ers whine about Dan Kane. He's ONE guy at ONE newspaper in NC. I'll say this. I can't say who it is but I know for a FACT another NATIONAL source has taken a sudden interest in unx...particularly these LD/ADHD findings. Can't say if anything comes of it but they're very interested. Also , as the following attests , other national sources are weighing in. Keep talkin' Bwadley....

That baseball program sure went from zero-to-sixty in a hurry , didn't it? #MikeFoxKnew...

Posted: Today 11:45 AM

Re: UNCheat Scandal-Fake LD Diagnoses & Drugs vs. Fake

TheJungleWolf
Bench Warmer Rating: 3.6/5 this site
1679 posts this site
Ignore this Member

I got a response from Bell Wheelan. She said that she had never heard of such arbitrary LD/ADHD testing. Thanked me for the heads up. I replied by supplying that 2011/12 chart of testing above^^^, from BDevil

Belle , btw , is the president of SACS....unx's accreditation agency. The same agency that placed unx on probation ( something they had never done to a Research University at unx's level! ) for academic fraud relating to their athletics programs and for doing what unx does better than anyone on the planet...lying. Considering the fact that unx is on probation as I type this , having her made aware of this latest "prong" is probably NOT a good thing for the flagship.

http://www.sacscoc.org/president.asp

unx alum Bob Lee...

NYT on TGU: Nothing New …BUT

The Old Gray Lady – The New York Times – like that old gray mare, ain’t what she used to be….

BUT. If you are a vain-glorious, terminally self-indulgent institution that STILL can’t pass a mirror without admiring itself…. you probably DO NOT want to be the subject of a New York Times’ article containing the words – UNC and Scandal. Too bad, caused that’s what happened yesterday. …. Some NYT ink-stained scribe named Joe Nocera did a rehash of the 5 W’s of The Great Unpleasantness.

I didn’t see anything in his article that every ABCer hasn’t memorized…. and every TCW-oholic TruBlue has tried to exorcise from his/her memory. He does make a connection to DEAN SMITH…. as in implying “how could HE have NOT known?” which is enough to ruin My Buddy’s Art day fer sure.

Larry Fedora and Ol’ Roy’s recent dismissives of “there’s nothing to it any more…. so move along you people” are, of course, quite incorrect.

There IS Something Left To Do …. The NCAA has yet to pass a Final Judgment on the whole steaming pile o’ crap. That might come “this Spring” or it may be delivered by a 5th Horseman of The Apocalypse on That Great Getting’ Up Morning. Who the heck knows?

As with those blind men and the elephant…. everyone will “see” what they want to see in this article. He was …. too tough on Dean …. not tough enough on Dean …. too tough on UNC …. not tough enough on UNC. …. blah blah yadda yadda.

The undeniable absolute is that a major national newspaper wrote ANOTHER lengthy article about The UNC Scandal.

For TruBlues, I’m pretty sure very very very few semi-literate 17 y/os read The New York Times. I’d bet not a single one. I’d bet Ol’ Roy doesn’t either.

COMMENTS:

MATTN

How much Adderall exactly do you need to pass a fake class that never meets?

BOBLEE

I don’t know. Does anyone think Roy has a clue what Adderall is? Dickie, of course, has no “clue” about ANYTHING.

BILL-THEBLUEDEVIL

Interesting article. I wish Vegas would come out with two numbers to bet on regarding this historic ALI Shuffle by UNC. Set the total cost from Marvin’s tweet forward at 31 million and 1 to 2.5 to 1 odds that the men’s basketball and football programs receive nothing more than a slap on the wrist while Sylvia Hatchell and the women’s team get sent to a concentration camp in Siberia for ten years. I will take under 31 million and risk losing 250 on a c note if they do indeed hammer UNC. If UNC gets smoked you could see 35 million by the time the we are innocent UNC lawyers finish defending Dean’s honor.

The University would have been much better off to admit they created these classes to keep ineligible athletes on the field and take a modest punishment years ago. They would have saved a tremendous sum of money and the probation would have come and gone. What have UNC athletics accomplished on the field of play the last 5 years? Nothing that probation would have damaged.

BOBLEE

Now Bill …. 11-3 in FB was pretty good! …. But your point IS valid EXCEPT…. No ABCer can fully appreciate how critical The Carolina Way has been to its disciples over the past 50+ years. It is the egotistical Oxygen needs to sustain Life. It cannot be forsaken any more than one could cut off both opposable thumbs.

For sure WBB will be pummeled into unrecognizable goo…. but I think MBB gets more than “a wrist slap” and ORW’s head will explode when he gets hammered….

DICK GRAY

I have read a story about Lincoln (the topic was ambiguity – on purpose – in prose) who, when asked to write a letter of recommendation (that he felt compelled to write) for a young man Lincoln considered lazy, wrote something to the effect that the prospective employer “would be fortunate indeed to get the young man to work for him.” I wonder what Dean Broun, who still lives and works in the land of the kool aid drinkers, really meant when he wrote: “Dean was an unusual guy, but it can be done.”

BOBLEE

The Cult of Dean will never die…. In our lifetime.

PORCOPHILE

Think how much worse this would be if South Building hadn’t spent those millions on public relations.

BOBLEE

The mind reels at that prospect ….. “Spin and obfuscation”.

DRVINNYBOOMBATZ

The PR firm has contained this some as far as keeping it out of most of the in state media outlets. They cannot stop social media posts from getting to national journalists like Nocera. I heard that 60 Minutes actually has a copy of Cheated but a UNC alum at CBS was able to squash having TGU on the air.

BOBLEE

The Mythical “UNC Mafia” that have been puppeteers of The Carolina Way for multi-decades. I think ESPN’s John Slipper (UNC’75) is the current “Don” of that Family.

DR.VINNYBOOMBATZ

Will anyone in their comments to the NY Times piece think to ask about Mr. Swofford’s role in the scandal?

BOBLEE

My reply to the on-going ABCer concerns re: Swoff is why don’t representatives of the thirteen other members of the ACC ever try to oust him as Commish ??? He serves at the pleasure of the member institutions and could be voted out at any time… but such concerns are never voiced by officials at NCSU, Duke, Clem, UVA, etc etc. Other than ABC fan complaints convinced of his “obvious” malevolence, NOTHING is ever said ???

http://bobleesays.com/2016/02/13/the-nyt-on-tgu-nothing-new-but/

"Reform" "Transparency" "Moving forward etc." Love reading sock puppets like "Not UNC PR ‏@HeelTruths" follow around anyone who criticizes the flagship. Hilarious....

Admitting guilt ( ALL of it! ) and self-imposing the draconian sanctions worthy of the crimes , costs nothing. "Priorities," tarhole-style...

Cost For Colleges To Conduct Internal Investigations Is Substantial

Receiving a notice of allegations from the NCAA hits an athletic department in the wallet, regardless of whether we’re talking about a few impermissible calls and texts to recruits or larger issues like the academic scandal at UNC.

Those violations were relatively minor in the grand scheme of violations – although they were described as “major violations,” they’re nothing compared to something like what happened at Penn State or UNC

Thirty thousand sounds like a hefty bill for such seemingly minor violations, but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the invoices UNC has been racking up.

In an effort to be transparent about how the academic scandal has been handled at UNC, the university established a website where it provides information about its investigation, including the mounting cost of righting the ship.

According to the website, retaining the services of three law firms and one public relations firm has cost the university over $7.6 million since 2012. As you can imagine, the number of public records requests coming into the university has increased – so much so that the university has gone from zero employees dedicated to public records to the equivalent of 9.2 employees in this department, with a cost of $600,000.

That’s $600,000 and 9.2 people who do nothing but maintain records and respond to open records requests. All as a consequence of the academic improprieties that came to light. Talk about opening a can of worms.

UNC says no tuition dollars or state funds have been used to fund the investigation and ensuing reform. Instead, these costs are covered by a foundation funded by private dollars.

How many of those donors do you think considered their hard-earned money would go to cover legal costs for a huge academic scandal that kept the university in the news for all the wrong reasons when they donated?

http://campusinsiders.com/news/cost-for-colleges-conduct-internal-investigations-02-16-2016

Video: NCAA Must Ferret Out Academic Fraud to Maintain Trust With Public

Michael F. Adams, a longtime NCAA leader, spoke with The Chronicle about the need for tougher admissions requirements for elite athletes and for strong deterrents to cheating to ensure the legitimacy of big-time college sports. "The message has to be sent … that the cost of cheating in the NCAA is not worth it," said Mr. Adams, the chancellor of Pepperdine University and a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division I Committee on Infractions. But until coaches internalize that message, he said, colleges may see more cases of academic fraud.

BRAD WOLVERTON: So you've seen this rash of cases involving academic misconduct recently. You had Syracuse, you've got UNC under investigation. Not to comment on anyone in particular, but what do you think has contributed to that? Some people say it's actually the tougher standards on the front end.

MICHAEL ADAMS: Well, those people and I would disagree. I think there are two things that are compelling to me. When I was chair of the executive committee of the NCAA in some of the last years of the late Myles Brand, who was a very close friend of mine, we put a lot of money into enforcement. I think that was a smart thing. So I think, on one hand, some of the cases that are coming forward now are because the NCAA is doing a better job investigation-wise and sort of ferreting out what's going on. And then secondly, I think there are some coaches out there unfortunately — I've met some of them — who've decided that their way to success was to cheat. And I think without having deep animus toward them, which is sometimes hard, I do think the message has to be sent to them that the cost of cheating in the NCAA is not worth it. And I think until that messages is internalized, we may have some more cases like this.

http://chronicle.com/article/Video-NCAA-Must-Ferret-Out/235248

Gawd. Wanna know how long unx's case has been dragged out? THIS long...

UNC's NCAA case has outlasted a sanctioned assistant's ban

Rarely do the procedural aspects of an NCAA scandal outlast punishments handed down as a result, but here we are.

If it feels like North Carolina's NCAA case has been dragging on for years, it's because it has. The last vestiges of the Tar Heels' case won't come to a conclusion until at least April of 2016 due to new violations disclosed by the school in August of 2015. Considering this all started in 2010, that's a long time. So long, in fact, that former football assistant John Blake's three-year show-cause penalty has already expired, and he was just hired as the defensive line coach at Lamar.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../john-blake-north-carolina-show-cause-scandal

CbjH4TzUsAEd-kW.jpg

Judge tosses lawsuit by former UNC athletes over bogus classes

Former Charlotte Christian star Leah Metcalf says she was funneled into a shadow curriculum at UNC-Chapel Hill

That course work kept her eligible, she says, but cost her a legitimate college education

Judge dismisses case, saying the school has immunity and the time for filing a complaint has passed

A Mecklenburg County judge on Friday dismissed claims by two former UNC-Chapel Hill athletes – including one from Charlotte – that school officials undermined their educations by coercing them to take a “shadow curriculum” based on bogus classes.

Former Charlotte Christian and UNC basketball player Leah Metcalf and James “Cooter” Arnold of Mocksville, a four-year member of the Tar Heel football team, claim in their lawsuit that they both had high academic aspirations when they agreed to accept athletic scholarships at the school.

Instead, they claim, they were blocked from receiving the elite education they were promised because their coaches and academic counselors funneled them into a series of “sham” courses offered by the Department of African and African American Studies.

Those classes, which often did not have a teacher nor require attendance, are at the center of a long-running scandal that has damaged the school’s international reputation for classroom and athletic excellence. For almost 20 years, the school used the curriculum to keep athletes eligible in football, basketball and other sports.

In legal briefs and during oral arguments before Superior Court Judge Robert Ervin, university attorneys said the case lacks merit. UNC attorney Lisa Guilford of Los Angeles also told Ervin that under state law, the university could not be sued. Even if it could, the deadline for filing a complaint closed years ago.

At the close of the hour-long hearing, Ervin agreed.

The athletes’ attorneys, Geraldine Sumter of Charlotte and Cyrus Mehri of Washington, D.C., said they will take the case to the N.C. Court of Appeals.

Rick White, the university’s vice chancellor for communications and public affairs, said Ervin followed the law in reaching his decision. Meanwhile, he said, UNC has taken responsibility for the academic improprieties and has made necessary changes.

Asked if Metcalf and Arnold had indeed been boxed out of receiving a true UNC education, White said, “The full university experience depends on each student” and that a degree from the school is more valuable than ever.

“We’ve had record applications – from 150 countries, all 50 states and all 100 North Carolina counties. That doesn’t sound like a university that has a problem with a devalued degree.”

In their filing, university attorneys say the lawsuit doesn’t explain how Metcalf was damaged by her enrollment in the disputed classes or how they may have contributed to her decision not to pursue a medical career.

Mehri, though, said his clients – the third group of athletes to sue the school over the disputed classes – signed scholarships with the school on the promise of having full access to that very education. Metcalf wanted to be a doctor. Instead she majored in math and African-American studies and is playing professional basketball in Poland.

Arnold sat behind his attorneys in the courtroom. When he arrived at Chapel Hill as a freshman, the lawsuit says, he was handed a class schedule that someone else had filled out. He graduated in 2009 with a major in African and African-American Studies, and “was unable to get a job requiring a college degree,”

After the hearing, Mehri gestured toward Guilford. “I’d like her to tell the UNC students, the faculty and the board of governors what she just told this court – that these kids were not harmed.”

While he did not rule on the merits of the case, Ervin, a graduate of Davidson College and Harvard Law, probed some of the plaintiff’s allegations. Since the athletes were enrolled in legitimate classes, he said, shouldn’t they have known the others were lacking? “You can’t be an active participant then turn around and say, ‘I was defrauded,’ ” he told Mehri.

The attorney responded that the students trusted and deferred to the authority of their coaches and counselors, who in turn were participating in an unprecedented conspiracy of academic fraud.

The judge pushed back, saying it would be a better world if he could believe that “these things were not taking place at other universities.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article61302252.html

If the deadline for filing has passed then it is what it is. That said , the honorable Judge Ervin sounds like a hole. Blaming the athletes is exactly what unx has done. "Sure...we know the classes were bs but it's not OUR fault these athletes enrolled in 'em...even though WE "clustered" these kids in the classes for the specific purpose of not educating them while freeing up more time to devote to their athletics." And the "everybody does it" rationale? From a sitting judge? WTF? "I'm sorry my client tried to rob that bank but , hey,,,,,everybody else was tryin' it too." "Good argument , counselor. Case dismissed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT