ADVERTISEMENT

The Carolina Way VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting stuff here. Click on the names. Lulz....

Interactive graphic: One year after the Wainstein report

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/10/interactive-graphic-one-year-after-the-wainstein-report

Check out Dorrance ( for example ) lyin' his azz off...

Dorrance denied any knowledge of how the paper classes, but said he tried to arrange for less strenous classes for his players that had national team committments.

CR7XXsTUEAAn9Au.jpg

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
From the http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/records/ data dump. Page 3383. Mary Willingham/Beth Bridger...

sw7ic6.jpg

Provost Dean AND B-Rad tried to discredit Mary's research ( Recall the 3 "independent "experts" brought in to refute Mary's claims? ) and flatly denied that ANYONE at unx read on a grade-school level yet here they are readily conceding the fact. Bridger was one of B-Rad's colleagues whom he felt was unfairly maligned for her role in the scam too. Sickening. One more thing. There's mention of the tests used to get those results. Dean , of course , never allowed his "experts' access to such tests. #carolinaway

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
From the http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/records/ data dump. Page 3383. Mary Willingham/Beth Bridger...

sw7ic6.jpg

Provost Dean AND B-Rad tried to discredit Mary's research ( Recall the 3 "independent "experts" brought in to refute Mary's claims? ) and flatly denied that ANYONE at unx read on a grade-school level yet here they are readily conceding the fact. Bridger was one of B-Rad's colleagues whom he felt was unfairly maligned for her role in the scam too. Sickening. One more thing. There's mention of the tests used to get those results. Dean , of course , never allowed his "experts' access to such tests. #carolinaway

Wow! So much for that lie...but I'm sure they're working on how to spin this as I type.

OFC

Dan Kane. Video too...

A year after Wainstein report, key issues still in play at unc

A year ago Thursday, a 131-page report detailing 18 years of fake classes in the African and Afro-American Studies department delivered a staggering blow to unc-Chapel Hill’s academic reputation and to its athletics programs.

That day, Chancellor Carol Folt promised swift action to correct what had gone wrong: a system of bogus classes that helped keep athletes eligible to play and a substantial number of key university officials who failed to stop it. NCAA investigators were set to follow up on the findings produced by a legal team led by Kenneth Wainstein, a former top U.S. Justice Department official.

In the past year, the university has received notice of five serious NCAA violations. A former faculty leader implicated in the fake classes resigned under pressure. The commission that accredits the university placed it on probation.

Yet quite a bit remains unsettled. Some key developments flowing from Wainstein’s investigation that are still in play:

The NCAA investigation: By now, the university would have had to respond to the NCAA’s allegations, which include a lack of institutional control, the most serious charge the NCAA can levy. But in mid-August, unc announced it had found evidence of more improper academic help, which created a delay in the NCAA infractions case.

At the time, unc officials said it should be clear within 60 days whether the NCAA would need to issue a new notice of allegations, or let unc respond to the current one.

Those 60 days passed last week, making it seem more likely that the NCAA will choose to issue a new notice of allegations, which will extend the time to resolve the case by at least another 90 days. All of this means that the NCAA case is unlikely to be resolved before spring.

The new allegations involve Jan Boxill, the former academic counselor for women’s basketball players, who later became unc’s faculty leader. unc officials said the new allegations are similar to those in the notice, which accused Boxill of writing and editing parts of women’s basketball players’ papers and requesting a grade for one player.

Rick White, a unc spokesman, said Wednesday: “We have not received a revised (notice of allegations) from the NCAA nor have we received a revised timeline.” He said that information would be made public as soon as unc is notified.

The NCAA could reduce scholarships, issue postseason bans or take away titles won by previous Tar Heels teams.

Disciplinary actions: At the release of the Wainstein Report, Folt said nine unc employees were facing termination or disciplinary review. Since then, three of those employees have left unc, including Boxill, while a former academic counselor for athletes was fired from a similar job at unc Wilmington.

unc reported that information as part of settling a public records lawsuit with a media coalition that included The News & Observer and The Charlotte Observer.

Since then, unc has made no determination regarding the other five employees, who have not been identified by unc.

One of them appears to be Bobbi Owen, a former senior associate dean who oversaw the academic support program for athletes. Wainstein reported that she became aware the African studies department was offering abnormally high numbers of independent studies and sought to bring that number down, but did not look into why they were so high in the first place.

Owen was later replaced as director of a unc honors program in London for the spring 2015 semester, but no explanation was given.

“We’re hopeful the personnel reviews will be concluded soon,” White said. “When those are completed, we will announce the results in accordance with the agreement we have with the NC Press Association.”

Transparency: Folt pledged unc would step up its efforts to be transparent in its actions. It has created a new website that lists all public records requests and whether they have been processed.

But a check of the website shows many unfulfilled requests, some of which do not involve voluminous records. The N&O, for example, has not received legal and public relations bills from some of the firms unc has contracted with, nor has unc responded to a request for any letters of disassociation issued to people involved in the scandal. Both requests are several weeks old.

White said a much more voluminous request has tied up unc’s public records staff. Last year, The N&O requested all records provided to Wainstein for his investigation. (The Daily Tar Heel, unc’s student newspaper, made a similar request.) unc began releasing those Wednesday, making public roughly 200,000 pages of records. unc officials say 5 million pages of records were originally provided to Wainstein.

unc reviewed the records before releasing them, with some names and dates redacted. That review led to unc identifying the further allegations of misconduct by Boxill. The N&O has requested those particular records be released immediately.

unc reforms: Even before the Wainstein report’s release, unc had announced roughly 70 reforms related to the scandal. Some of the key reforms are tighter academic requirements on independent studies that include limits on how many each professor can offer; regular and more thorough reviews of academic department chairmen; and no involvement by the athletics department in the operations of the academic support program for athletes.

Since then, unc has announced additional changes, most recently limits on communications between faculty and coaches and academic support staff. unc also announced two working groups, one that would focus on policy and procedures and a second on ethics and integrity.

External reforms: The scandal has drawn the attention of members of Congress, some of whom have cited it in filing legislation calling for a presidential commission to examine college sports. Last month, four bill sponsors brought unc whistleblower Mary Willingham and others to Capitol Hill to speak at a private briefing of congressional staff, but it’s unclear whether their efforts drew more support.

Meanwhile, the NCAA is developing new regulations regarding academic misconduct that speak directly to the unc scandal. The proposed regulations would give the NCAA more latitude over “impermissible academic assistance,” according to a report by Jon Solomon of CBSSports.com.

NCAA officials have said they are limited in pursuing academic misconduct because member universities have insisted only they should make the call on the legitimacy of a class. The NCAA has not explained why it did not pursue an academic misconduct case against unc over the fake classes, but that would have been likely if unc had called the classes fraudulent. The NCAA has instead alleged impermissible benefits.

One of the classes led to a felony charge of obtaining property by false pretenses against former African studies chairman Julius Nyang’oro, but the charge was dropped when he cooperated with Wainstein’s investigation. At a news conference after the report’s release, Wainstein described the classes as “corrupted” and part of a “scheme.”

Solomon reported last month that Kathy Sulentic, who leads the NCAA enforcement staff’s academic integrity group, told Division I faculty athletics representatives the new regulations would allow the NCAA to make a charge in an obvious case of academic fraud in cases where “the institution, for whatever reason, came out with an absurd result.”

White, the unc spokesman, declined to say whether the classes were fraudulent.

“We have identified some classes as ‘irregular.’ We’ve certainly done that,” White said. “The Wainstein report has done that, and I would refer you back to the Wainstein report for that material.”

Lawsuits: Former athletes have filed two lawsuits against unc over the fake classes, alleging they were denied a proper education. The athletes in both are seeking the lawsuits be certified as class-action cases. One of the lawsuits also names the NCAA as a defendant and calls for an independent commission to certify that athletes in big-money sports programs are receiving the same educational opportunities as non-athletes.

Both cases remain active in federal court and are assigned to U.S. District Judge Loretta Biggs of North carolina’s Middle District. She has not ruled on dismissal motions filed by unc and the NCAA.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article40937289.html

No mention of the word, "bifurcated." Wainstein showed that many of the bs classes were "bifurcated." IOW , regular students were required to actually perform work for credit while idiot jocks did zippo an' coasted. #carolinaway. Oh...and Dean is still a corrupt azzwipe. Regurgitating the company line about "rogue offenders" 5+ years in?! WTF....?!

UNC graduate ‘really feels the sting’ of his AFAM minor

To “make whole” is a legal term, explains Carrboro resident Andrew Dykers. “It means to make amends, to right your wrong. It’s an attempt to put the person back into the condition they would have been if the wrong had not occurred,” said Dykers, who graduated from UNC in 1995. Dykers wants the University to make him whole; as he says, UNC has wronged him — and he wants it righted.

The Wainstein report, released a year ago today, detailed extensive academic fraud in the former Department of African and Afro-American Studies, which Dykers minored in. Dykers, a Carrboro-based lawyer, made the decision to remove his minor from his resume after the release of the Wainstein report.

Wainstein’s report concluded that from 1993 to 2011, the University offered fraudulent classes within the AFAM department. Though he never took an illegitimate class, Dykers said he took a class with Julius Nyang’oro, who oversaw some of the fraudulent classes, the report concludes.

“You know, there was all this talk about these bogus classes where no work was done, but that class was actually challenging,” Dykers said. “What was happening was there was a fairly large group of football players, and I could tell they were clowning and not concerned. And I was a dean’s list student, and I knew that it was difficult and they had more to lose than I did, and I immediately knew something was up.”

But the evidence of his hard work on his resume — the listing of his minor — is overshadowed by the scandal that is now synonymous with the former department. Dykers said once he removed his minor from his resume, he felt his job search process become easier, prompting his decision to appeal. He said UNC should let degree holders take new classes if they choose.

“The school acknowledges wrongdoing and disrepute. The school has fired people, and it has changed the name of the program. You don’t change the name of a program unless it has suffered disrepute,” he said. The more than 70 reforms UNC lists as proof of progress from the scandal ignore the people most affected by the scandal, he said. “Of course we need things in place to make sure professors aren’t giving 300 independent study classes a year. You want a pat on the back for that?” Dykers said.

Provost Jim Dean said UNC has been focused on specific students who were in the irregular classes. He said no offer has been made toward degree holders like Dykers who never took an irregular class. “For students who are in that situation, we feel we have a responsibility to make it right for them, and we have reached out and done that,” he said. Only some students have inquired about it, and to Dean’s knowledge, no one has taken UNC up on the offer.

Dykers said the students who took the paper classes haven’t suffered as much as the AFAM degree holders who never took irregular classes. “I don’t see them as innocent frankly, for lack of a better term, as I do people like myself who never took any bogus classes, and that’s the only group that has been offered any kind of reconciliation from the school,” he said. “All I’m asking them to do is extend that same offer to people like myself — it’s the person that has to go and put it on their resume that really feels the sting.”

Dean said Dykers is the only degree holder who hasn’t taken an irregular class that is seeking amends. “I certainly respect his point of view,” he said. Dykers said his decision not to speak up while he was a student is what makes him passionate about the issue now. “That class was easily the best preparation I had for law school. You hear all this talk about ‘paper classes’ — that was a paper class, but no one was writing it for me.”

Dean said he is proud to have the department at UNC. “To look back now and say that the department is somehow unworthy because of one professor teaching courses at one period of time, and that means anybody that has a degree from that department is somehow harmed — I just can’t get there,” he said.

Dykers would rather not sue his alma mater, but he thinks he could build a case on breach of duty and negligence. “I love the University. I do not want to fight the University; I want to work with the University. I want the integrity of the University to be restored fully,” he said. “I don’t think that can occur until there are actions taken to make whole the students who have suffered the most disrepute.”

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/10/unc-graduate-really-feels-the-sting-of-his-afam-minor

Dr. Newsom. Used to work at unx. Blog...

https://minerva5.wordpress.com/2014...stitutional-racism-not-athletic-skullduggery/

Cookie Newsom ‏@newsom_cookie

@DevilDJ32 @TGibbsABC11 @mmountshoop@RealSilentSam That this department was chosen to undermine speaks volumes about state of race at unc

Spoken like a woman who has her employer by the short an' curlies...

unc’s Sylvia Hatchell attempts to keep calm amid storm surrounding her program

Hatchell says program will be “more than OK” amid NCAA investigation, transfers

Doesn’t have much to say on investigation, contract status

unc women has just eight scholarship players, seven below NCAA limit

After the last remaining member of the best recruiting class in school history transferred, and after her program found itself in the crosshairs of an NCAA investigation, and after a former player publicly decried her lack of a contract extension, Sylvia Hatchell says, against all odds, all will be OK.

In fact Hatchell, who’s approaching her 30th season as the women’s basketball coach at North carolina, said “We’re going to be more than OK.”

She was speaking at Wednesday’s annual ACC women’s basketball media day. It’s the first time she’s spoken in a setting like this one, with microphones and cameras in front of her, since her program appeared to be imploding.

Despite what it looks like, the program is not imploding. At least not according to the woman who has led it since 1986.

I CAN’T TALK ABOUT THE NCAA BECAUSE I REALLY DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. ... ALL I KNOW IS THAT THIS IS A GREAT TIME FOR ME. PEOPLE THINK I’M (HAVING) A ROUGH TIME, ALL THIS STUFF. THIS IS A GREAT TIME.

Sylvia Hatchell, unc women’s basketball coach

“You remember the Apollo flight, 13, I guess, when people thought it was going to be a disaster?” Hatchell said. “And the astronauts, one of them, said, ‘No, this will be our finest hour?’

“OK, this will be our finest hour. So I’m great, and I’m fine. I love practice every day. These kids are great. We’ve got what it takes.”

Between the end of last season and the beginning of this one, it’s been one thing after another for unc’s women’s basketball program and Hatchell.

A lot of the program’s issues have been related to unc’s ongoing NCAA investigation. The Notice of Allegations (NOA) that unc received from the NCAA targeted Hatchell’s program in a different way than the others.

And that’s because it targets Jan Boxill, the former unc women’s basketball academic counselor who was shown to provide illegal help to former players. Boxill is the only individual associated with a team – coach, player, support personnel – to be specifically charged with a violation in the NOA.

“I can’t talk about the NCAA,” Hatchell said when asked about it, “because I really don’t know anything about it. ... All I know is that this is a great time for me. People think I’m (having) a rough time, all this stuff. This is a great time.”

The release of the NOA, to which unc’s response has been delayed in part because it found previously undiscovered wrongdoing related to Boxill, cast so much of a pall around Hatchell’s program that few reacted with surprise when the last remaining members of a gifted sophomore class decided to transfer.

Two years ago, that four-player class, led by Diamond DeShields, the top high school prospect in her class, arrived in Chapel Hill with national championship aspirations. Now not a single member of that class remains.

DeShields transferred after her freshman season, when Hatchell sat out while receiving treatment for leukemia. And after last season, Jessica Washington, Allisha Gray and Stephanie Mavunga, the other members of the DeShields class, decided to transfer, leaving Hatchell with eight scholarship players – seven fewer than the NCAA limit for Division I women’s basketball teams.

Hatchell’s numbers are so thin that among the usual, more mundane questions asked Wednesday was directed to players Jamie Cherry and Xylina McDaniel. That question: Why didn’t you leave too?

“With me, I’m big on personal loyalty,” sophomore guard Cherry said. “And of course, I’ve been loyal to coach Hatchell since I was a freshman in high school. And I plan on sticking with her until I graduate. So leaving wasn’t even in my mind.”

Ditto for McDaniel, a senior forward who is unc’s leading returning scorer.

“I’m real big on loyalty as well,” McDaniel said. “I’ve just lived by that my whole life. And no matter what coach Hatchell has gone through or what the team has gone through, I’m not going to leave. I would never leave.”

Several of Hatchell’s former players have expressed their loyalty too. Hatchell said she often hears from many of them.

“They’re like my children,” she said. One of her former players, Meghan Austin, now a coach herself, wrote a scathing editorial in The News & Observer in Hatchell’s support.In her editorial, Austin wrote that Hatchell and the women’s basketball program had become a scapegoat amid the larger NCAA investigation into the long-running scheme of bogus no-show African- and Afro-American Studies courses. Austin suggested that women’s basketball was being sacrificed to protect men’s basketball and football, both of which had more enrollments in the suspect courses.

“They’ve been all very, very loyal, and (would be more outspoken) if I would let them loose,” Hatchell said. “And I’ve tried to control them a little bit and everything and (say), ‘We’re good, we’re good – everything’s great.’ But they have come running to my defense, trust me.”

Hatchell wouldn’t say whether she agreed that her program had been made a scapegoat. She also didn’t have much to say about her thoughts on her contract situation, another topic Austin wrote about in her editorial.

unc in the spring announced the extensions of three coaches, including men’s basketball coach Roy Williams. Hatchell’s contract expires in 2018, which is when Williams’ was also due to expire before his extension.

“I’m not worried,” Hatchell said. “I mean, look at my history. … We’ve won a lot of championships and we’ve got some more in front of us that we’re going to win.”

Hatchell led unc to a national championship in 1994. Her teams have won eight ACC tournament championships, none since 2008.

That class she brought in two years ago, the one with DeShields and Gray, was supposed to restore some of the luster to her program amid recent good, but not great, seasons. That was the plan, anyway, before the NCAA case erupted and those four players transferred.

Now Hatchell has about half of a full scholarship team. She has filled out her roster with six walk-ons. Recruiting, has been better than expected, and she hopes to sign a seven-player class soon.

But no one knows what to expect out of this season, one that during the summer seemed over before it began.

It hasn’t seemed that way to Hatchell.

“The past is behind us,” she said when asked if she has a better appreciation for real-life adversity after her fight against cancer. “And it’s not leukemia. And I see it as an opportunity to show everybody.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article40800936.html

You really shouldn't post in this thread.

You're right but that's their attitude. Honestly , the most startling aspect of all this is how the rank-an'-file Walmarters don't care. Sure , there are some interested in integrity ( mostly alums ) who are genuinely embarrassed by the depth of corruption but most just wanna "get away with it." As much disdain as I have for 'em I woulda never believed unx ( and their minions ) would devote so many resources to covering up cheating. Especially since they put all those years into that "Dean did things right/ the carolina way" mantra. Eye-opening to say the least.

unc releases records in academic fraud probe

The University of North carolina at Chapel Hill released more than 214,000 pages of documents Thursday, a fraction of the nearly 5 million pages of records investigators collected in an academic fraud scandal involving faculty, staff and student-athletes.

WRAL News reviewed some of the 200,000-plus pages on Friday and found numerous emails from Mary Willingham...,

In one email, Willingham complains to then-Chancellor Holden Thorp about "unacceptable harassment" by a senior associate athletic director at the school.

"I reported what I saw and 912 days go by with no interest in me or my claims/truth telling," Willingham wrote. "What your administration decided to do with what I told them was out of my control. I have always done and continue to do the right thing for our students."

Willingham also traded numerous emails with Jay Smith, a unc-Chapel Hill professor of history who co-wrote her book, "Cheated: The unc Scandal, the Education of Athletes, and the Future of Big-Time College Sports."

"I would love to see the N&O run a story on the University's decision to harass you," Smith wrote to Willingham in April 2013."I would love to see Holden (Thorp) and (Director of Athletics) Bubba (Cunningham) squirming when confronted with questions about this … It’s been a long time since I had to fight this hard to restrain myself. I want to unload on those SOBs."

One month later, Willingham told Smith she planned to "make a scene" and threatened to turn her recordings, emails and 1,100-plus documents over to the media. "This system of collegiate sport is beyond broken," she wrote.

Smith shared his concerns with faculty members on a listserv in December 2012. Under the subject line, "more depressing news," he shared a note from a fellow instructor who was "not sure how to deal with an apparent case of plagiarism involving an athlete."

"The student admitted that he had an athletic tutor re-write the first four pages of the paper … Do we do anything? ... The re-writing was substantial ... We don’t know all the details, of course. But I’m horrified, just horrified, that this is still evidentially going on. I find it almost inconceivable. I am going to recommend that this be turned over to the honor system, but I do so with conflicted feelings. You know who deserves to be punished for this? unc."

unc's records also showed emails from tutors who were helping student-athletes with their classwork. Some tutors complained about the students' lack of effort, including one who "isn't going to class." Another tutor wrote that a student didn't care about the quality of his homework assignments because "the teacher never collects them."

In one email, a student-athlete asked for help getting a higher grade, saying, "without a C, it's pretty much over with for me. Anything I can do, I'll do anything. I just need to get this C so I can play next season."

A 2008 email from an assistant dean in the academic advising program warned that the university could no longer code students as full-time if they were enrolled in fewer than 12 hours of courses.

"We have recently learned that this can no longer happen because it 'violates the law' in some way," the assistant dean wrote. "Our office will need to know from you what procedure to follow in January for student-athletes who may be affected by this new policy."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-re...mic-fraud-probe/15004225/#6LeGvs8caB6KjOyW.99

Couple of things. More evidence of how tptb at unx harrassed Mary. Dollars to doughnuts , much of it from Vince Ille. Check out the italicized on his letterhead. "Priorities..."

i293e1.png

E-mail from Ille ( "Vin" ) to Jay Smith. Given the response from Perry Hall it's pretty obvious how they felt about having their scam exposed...

24g1rbn.png

Final thought. How 'bout the comment referring to how unx coded some student athletes as "full-time" even though some ( most? ) took less than 12 hours? That could be huge. Can't play your sport if you're not a legit full-time student. That's another "prong" all to itself.

Exit survey comments from a departing unx athlete....

Cheating Blue Ram ‏@CheatingBlueRam

Student athlete channels Silent Sam in their exit survey.

CSBG_zaUwAEqSNi.png

Mutima will probably get the "rogue offenders" treatment. Too bad. Compared to the others around 'im , he seems like an entirely decent guy. He hated having his classes become a dumping ground for wayward jocks. Openly complained about it too. Tried to export as many as he could. The players took no interest in his courses and some created disturbances like kids in grade-school while he tried to teach. He also resented the fact many of those kids were takin' their educational opportunity for granted. Like I said , probably a pretty decent guy but he had no tenure so he was forced to suck it up an' take it. Probably get a few bucks to be another fall guy. #carolinaway...

Still waiting After moving past the initial shock of the report’s findings, the University community looked to the names in the report to determine who should be held accountable.

At the press conference last year, Folt said nine employees at the University would face disciplinary review — including four whose employment would be terminated.

That day, responding to questions from the crowd, Folt declined to share the identities of these individuals until they received their due process through the University’s human resources processes.

Two firings, of former athletic tutors Jaimie Lee and Beth Bridger, and two resignations, by former professors Jan Boxill and Timothy McMillan, are all that have been made public by the University after a settlement among unc and 10 media organizations, including The Daily Tar Heel.

The Daily Tar Heel attempted to contact all current University employees who were specifically named in the Wainstein report, not including the “witness account summaries” section which summarized the more than 100 interviews the Wainstein team did. African, African American and diaspora to 'em or professor Alphonse Mutima declined to comment on the report but did confirm that he is under review.

“The University hasn’t made a definitive decision regarding my situation,” he said.

Many other employees chose not to comment or could not comment due to the NCAA investigation.

Mutima, according to the report, pushed back against attempts by former administrative assistant and director of the paper class scheme Deborah Crowder to change grades and place students in his Swahili courses that Mutima said misbehaved. Despite his frustration, the report says Mutima ultimately took advantage of the paper classes by directing distracting students out of his classroom.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...report-the-ncaa-and-discipline-decisions-loom

unx alum Bob Lee...

“The ATO Two” Have Been Reinstated at unc

http://bobleesays.com/2015/10/23/the-ato-two-have-been-reinstated-at-unc/

"COMMENTS"
section reveal Lee's disdain for his alma mater......

THECOWDOG

Fedora has no choice. He absolutely must take this team to new heights. NOW.

If not…he’ll be stuck in pergatory for the next 5-6 years. 2 or 3 with no post-season, and schol reductions thru the rest of the decade.

I don’t blame him, ’cause Larry ain’t TV material, and I doubt he’d be interested in going back to assistantship.
and another

BOBLEE

Totally agree. His future is NOW. He needs to attract attention to himself ASAP and fly the coop. 8 Ws minimum… 9-10 even better and maybe he can parlay that into a one-way ticket to “a football school with a full-size IPF”.

OLD MACDONALD

Has someone gotten to you BL? With the A-Loft, the Duke locker room trashing, and now this ATO thing (just off the top of my head), you have 3 data points with which to make some conclusions about the way Fedora and Cunningham handle the football program. I don’t think you did “which ox is being gored” naval-gazing regarding Chuck’s Killian kids. I know you feel no loyalty to unc. So why the kid gloves?

BOBLEE

Personally… I think “they did it”. They being The Fighting Fedorians. I am on record that Fedora,alas, runs a VERY loose ship. I am not at all surprised at how this is playing out. … ONE of several reasons I am “estranged” from “where I went to college a long time ago.

Bilas' appearance in the upcoming B-Rad opus and his apparent support for Roy has been discussed here. I've tried to give 'im the benefit of the doubt. Clearly , he hates the NCAA...maybe to the point of extending a free pass to unx for the most egregious violations in NCAA history. Regardless , I ran across this Twitter exchange from this past June. Ya know , it's one thing to hate the NCAA so much ya end up defending a serial cheater but it's another to buy the PR-driven unx company line. Bilas should heed his own advice. "Stay in your lane" , Jay. Disgusting...

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas

Is NCAA now attempting to make academic assistance an extra benefit? http://es.pn/1g2sXYl Stay in your lane, leave it up to each school.

Michael C ‏@NCSU84

@JayBilas unc decided on its own how much assistance was needed...that turned out well, for them at least .

Jay Bilas@JayBilas

@NCSU84 Assistance and academic misconduct are two different things. And, that emanated from an academic department.

Bilas' appearance in the upcoming B-Rad opus and his apparent support for Roy has been discussed here. I've tried to give 'im the benefit of the doubt. Clearly , he hates the NCAA...maybe to the point of extending a free pass to unx for the most egregious violations in NCAA history. Regardless , I ran across this Twitter exchange from this past June. Ya know , it's one thing to hate the NCAA so much ya end up defending a serial cheater but it's another to buy the PR-driven unx company line. Bilas should heed his own advice. "Stay in your lane" , Jay. Disgusting...

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas

Is NCAA now attempting to make academic assistance an extra benefit? http://es.pn/1g2sXYl Stay in your lane, leave it up to each school.

Michael C ‏@NCSU84

@JayBilas unc decided on its own how much assistance was needed...that turned out well, for them at least .

Jay Bilas@JayBilas

@NCSU84 Assistance and academic misconduct are two different things. And, that emanated from an academic department.

Who cares if it is UNC? It could be any other major program he was asked about. If he is doing his job as a so called college basketball expert, you don't make the blatant comment he made and also in the context in which he said it.

The only next step to his emphatic defense of Roy, being that UNC has been charged with Lack of Institutional Control, is to segue into the talking points that this is all a UNC Women's basketball issue, and once you start heading into that trap, which is the only way to go if you defend Roy, then you truly have lost all credibility.

I saw the exchange live and it smelled of someone who was being paid off. He lost a lot of respect with his comments.

He could have said " well don't lump Roy in with Boeheim, Brown, and now Petino until we see what the NCAA rules"' but he did not say that. He emphatically immediately implied UNC Men's basketball or Roy Williams would not be penalized, and dismissed the whole premise immediately.

At this stage of the game, with the evidence at hand, you can't say that in the position he is in with a straight face.

Who cares if it is UNC? It could be any other major program he was asked about. If he is doing his job as a so called college basketball expert, you don't make the blatant comment he made and also in the context in which he said it.

The only next step to his emphatic defense of Roy, being that UNC has been charged with Lack of Institutional Control, is to segue into the talking points that this is all a UNC Women's basketball issue, and once you start heading into that trap, which is the only way to go if you defend Roy, then you truly have lost all credibility.

I saw the exchange live and it smelled of someone who was being paid off. He lost a lot of respect with his comments.

He could have said " well don't lump Roy in with Boeheim, Brown, and now Petino until we see what the NCAA rules"' but he did not say that. He emphatically immediately implied UNC Men's basketball or Roy Williams would not be penalized, and dismissed the whole premise immediately.

At this stage of the game, with the evidence at hand, you can't say that in the position he is in with a straight face.

Spot on. ^^^ One other thing....Jay has never been shy about giving his opinion on an issue. Never ever. That said , when confronted with the portion of the NOA that specifically targeted men's basketball last week on Twitter ( linked here earlier ) he punted. I couldn't believe it. All his legalese & pontificating went out the window. Telling...VERY telling. Look , he's a Blue Devil an' all but on this issue , he's mistaken. Can't say exactly WHY he's taking this stance either. Hates the NCAA? Loves Roy? Both? Regardless , his is an opinion I've always respected but this? Nope. Can't get there.

Cheating Blue Ram@CheatingBlueRam

Cheating Blue Ram Retweeted Edmond Dantes

Last week in a couple of different Tweets, Edmond seems to forecast the document dump. How did he know?

Edmond Dantes ‏@EdmondDantesunc

@CheatingBlueRam who on campus didn't know? And who said that was the data dump I was referencing? #staytuned

@EdmondDantesunc "who on campus didn't know?" Are you confirming you are affiliated with unc? As employee or through a contracted service?

@CheatingBlueRam oh my gosh, you are SO smart. You got me!

@EdmondDantesunc Are you going to provide the public record request number to add some credibility to your assertion?

@CheatingBlueRam this is Twitter, do you think credibility matters to anyone? I surely don't give a ****.

@EdmondDantesunc Classy response from a unc affiliate. Exactly what the public has come to expect.

@CheatingBlueRam the "classy" retort is a little gauche, don't you think?

@EdmondDantesunc Is spreading baseless rumors appropriate behavior for a unc affiliated professional? I think the citizens of NC expect more

Mr. Bustin Clays ‏@citori525

@CheatingBlueRam @EdmondDantesunc #unc don't care just win baby. Their whole existence is now predicated championships. Damn the education.

Is @EdmondDantesunc a hired member of the PR team or a member of the unc administration that felt the need to attack Jay & Mary yet again?

Covering up...7.5

Coming Clean...0

5+ Years ( An' Countin' ) of the "carolina way" being exposed as the lie it's always been...Priceless

unc: $7.5M SPENT ON LEGAL, PR FROM ACADEMIC SCANDAL

unc Chapel Hill said they spent over $7.5 million on legal, PR expenses to date from the recent academic scandal.

unc posted detailed information on the carolina Commitment website in response to a public records request from The News & Observer seeking "legal/public relations bills for the unc scandal."

The university said it estimates they spent approximately $7,565,940 to date for services from three law firms and one public relations agency.

The bills from the law firms came from mid-2014 and mid-2015. One of the law firm's invoices dated back to late 2012, according to unc.

Last November, unc said they spent over $3 million on the 131-page Kenneth Wainstein investigation, which uncovered 18 years of academic fraud at the university.

In those 18 years, the report showed 3,100 students were enrolled in paper classes, many of them were athletes. Those classes required little to no work. Over the span of almost two decades, the report showed student athletes were steered toward those classes to boost their grades and eligibility.

No state-appropriated or tuition dollars are being used for the expenses, according to the university.

In the release, unc said that it is common for major universities to hire outside firms and that it is more cost-effective than hiring additional permanent staff.

The university said they are "responding to an unprecedented combination of simultaneous issues," which include:

Pending class-action lawsuits from former student-athletes and former employees.

A pending NCAA investigation.

A pending review of academic reforms from the South Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, a regional accrediting agency.

Two public records requests - the largest in university history. Lawfirm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP compiled a database of almost 1.7 million unique electronic records which was about 5 million pages.

A sharply rising volume of regular public records requests.

Pending personnel reviews resulting from the 2014 Wainstein report.

Leadership transitions in the Office of University Counsel because the vice chancellor and general counsel left to accept positions at other institutions.

http://abc11.com/education/unc-$75m--spent-on-legal-pr-from-academic-scandal/1051987/

And btw....unx says not one cent of taxpayer dollars has funded any of this?! Yeah , sure. Whatever.

Look who dominates the discussion. Lulz...

Gary Parrish‏@GaryParrishCBS

BREAKING: The NCAA is investigating allegations of academic misconduct at Pacific, a source told @CBSSports.
Story: http://cbsprt.co/1POf7rR

The Power K ‏@The_Power_K

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports Someone has to pay for what unc did...

JoeytheBonz ‏@Bonzo_Cat

@GaryParrishCBS no doubt a decision comes down on this before carolina.

John Broward ‏@ACCRecruitingXP

@Bonzo_Cat @GaryParrishCBS the @ncaa needs to give unc the death penalty for their quarter of a century of cheating w/ 1,200 athletes first

Ramar ‏@Duvisited

@GaryParrishCBS Meanwhile, at unc...

Josh Wheeler ‏@golfmanky1982

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports Wonder how that investigation into academic misconduct is going at unc....

Jeff Aronson ‏@jamfan40

@GaryParrishCBS How about looking into what unc did

Keith Rupley ‏@rupley77

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports Oh, this is perfect cover for the NCAA. They'll knock the hell out of Pacific, ol Roy/unc will get off clear

BlueBuffalo ‏@joboo43

@GaryParrishCBS @JonSolomonCBS @CBSSports so whatever happened with the unc and Miami investigations?

Brian Wright ‏@cubbiesfan71

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports when are they going to look at unc?

Fran Anderson ‏@Franderson2

@GaryParrishCBS what about unc?

Mr. Bustin Clays ‏@citori525

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports 5 years and counting 5 freaking years of lying, covering up, payoffs and golden parachutes. #unc unpunished.

Scott Gee ‏@cubfan23

@GaryParrishCBS NCAA is so mad at unc, Pacific will get a 10 years penalty.

Greg Weber ‏@WeberGP

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports the NCAA is so mad at unc that it'll slap another 2 years probation on Pacific

talan shinn ‏@talanshinn

@GaryParrishCBS @CBSSports @NCAA must be furious with unc

"No job is too big , no FEE is too big..."

unc scandal legal, consulting costs climb past $10 million

unc releases records showing millions more spent on legal and public relations work

Kenneth Wainstein’s firm has charged roughly $5.8 million for investigation and record production

Public relations costs now over $2 million

The legal and public relations costs from unc-Chapel Hill’s fake-class scandal have climbed well past $10 million, according to billing records released Monday.

The records show the university paid another $2.7 million to the Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft legal firm after it released a report that represents the most comprehensive investigation into the scandal to date. The firm had previously been paid $3.1 million to conduct the investigation.

Much of Cadwalader’s new billings reflect efforts to make public the more than 1.7 million records the firm had obtained to investigate the scandal. unc released the first batch of those records – more than 200,000 pages – last week. The News & Observer and unc’s student newspaper, the Daily Tar Heel, had requested the records.

unc officials say those public records requests represent the largest in the university’s history. The university’s review of the records before their release led to more misconduct allegations against one of the key players in the scandal, former faculty leader Jan Boxill, who is accused of writing and editing parts of papers for women’s basketball players while working as the team’s academic counselor.

The billings show Cadwalader hired outside attorneys at a cheaper rate to handle much of the document production. They charged an average of $95 an hour as opposed to the $990 an hour Wainstein charged for his work.

The News & Observer had also asked for the legal bills of two other firms hired to work on the scandal: Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom and Bond, Schoeneck & King.

unc reported that Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom has received $1.9 million to respond to three lawsuits filed by former athletes over the fake classes as well as legal work on the review by the commission that accredits the university. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges put unc on probation in June for failing to comply with several accreditation standards.

unc has contracted with Bond, Schoeneck & King to handle NCAA matters. Billings released Monday show it has charged unc $1.3 million since December 2012. Rick White, a unc spokesman, said he could not confirm whether all of the money was spent responding to the fake classes. unc is facing five major NCAA violations, including a lack of institutional control, according to a notice of allegations the NCAA sent in May. The case has yet to go to the NCAA’s infractions committee.

Bond hired Jo Potuto, a former chairwoman of the infractions committee and the longtime University of Nebraska faculty athletic representative, as a consultant to review the Wainstein report. A bill from November 2014, shortly after the Wainstein report’s release, shows $6,397.41 spent on “Independent Contractor/Consultant Services and Expenses.” White could not confirm that money was spent on Potuto’s work.

Several months of billings for this year from Bond, totaling roughly $600,000, are not itemized. White could not explain why.

The scandal involves classes within the former Department of African and Afro-American studies from 1993 to 2011 that never met and brought high grades if a paper was turned in. The majority of the classes were created and graded by Deborah Crowder, a clerical employee who was the department’s manager. The rest were created by Julius Nyang’oro, the former department chairman, who admitted in Wainstein’s report that he gave athletes high grades to help keep them eligible.

Edelman, a public relations firm, billed the university $1.7 million for several months of work in 2014. unc officials had previously reported the firm had a contract for that amount. Some of the money is for unrelated public relations work, unc officials said, such as helping the university revamp its overall communications strategy.

The university previously spent $940,000 on another investigation led by former Gov. Jim Martin (who only charged expenses) and the Baker Tilly consulting firm in 2012, and spent roughly $500,000 on two other public relations firms and a consultant prior to 2014.

unc officials say none of the money to pay for the legal and public relations bills has come from students’ tuitions or state appropriations. The money typically has come from a unc foundation that is supported by private donations.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article41475339.html

The Working Group’s Failure of Nerve

Some of the richest, most revealing nuggets from the “working group” website recently unveiled by Provost Jim Dean and AD Bubba Cunningham are found on the page of “responses” to earlier recommendations made to the university by previous committees. Quite a few faculty- and outsider-review committees have been empaneled over the past five years–a headline-making scandal will do that–and there is no shortage of good (and some bad) ideas in the reports that they all produced. The Provost’s committee at least took the time to read them all (no small feat), but the responses they provide to the boldest and most substantive of the previous recommendations underline unc’s extreme caution, its lingering arrogance, and its tragic lack of nerve.

The general strategy of dodging and weaving announces itself in every line. The working group’s “responses” frequently refuse even to engage the issues raised in the original recommendation. Just as often, they refer mechanically to some established policy or procedure as if to imply that the issue has already been addressed somewhere inside that procedure. Most frustrating of all, the responses sometimes acknowledge the wisdom of a recommendation before dispassionately announcing the university’s refusal to implement it. Exhibit A in this category is the response to a recommendation made by the committee chaired by Association of American Universities president Hunter R. Rawlings III.

Rawlings Report (Sept 2013)

Recommendation

unc-CH should consider requiring a “year of readiness” for student-athletes admitted under the “special admissions” category, and consider advocating for this reform nationally. During this year, these students would be ineligible to participate in varsity competition (though they would retain four years of athletic eligibility) and would have limited practice participation.

Response

The Working Group would support a “year of readiness” nationally, but we do not recommend that it be implemented unilaterally by unc.

The working group sees the wisdom in imposing a year of ineligibility on athletes with weak academic credentials, and the group would have no objections if the NCAA adopted it as a rule applicable to all, but they see no reason for unc to lead the way in this matter–and certainly not by example. Supporting the athletic department’s quest to remain “competitive,” the group insists that there will be no unilateral disarmament. And we won’t be agitating on the national stage either. Every talented eighteen-year-old we can recruit is going to be out on the field helping the team immediately, academic needs be damned.

The unc community needs to ponder the implications of this formal stance–a stance taken by the university’s chief academic officer and his handpicked committee. The provost is saying, in effect:

our athletes are recruited to be athletes. They are recruited by coaches who need their services. Who are we–mere professors and administrators–to get in the way of the competitive needs of the university’s athletic program? The weak students will probably struggle in the classroom in their first year, and their best long-term academic interests will be neglected. And yes, some will miss a long overdue opportunity to receive needed remedial help. But their teams and their coaches need them. And although winning isn’t everything, only winning can justify those otherwise obscene coaching salaries. Sacrifices must therefore be made. Go Heels!

And so…the provost’s working group has formally opted to place competitiveness above academics. (As we will make clear in subsequent blog posts, this is only one of many instances in their website where they make their priorities clear.) Who at unc, if not the provost, might be expected to articulate the primacy of the university’s academic values in the operation of its athletic program? Who indeed.

http://paperclassinc.com/the-working-groups-failure-of-nerve/

Oh, you know, nothing to see here....

CO6qE6TUkAAUte2.png

^^^ Next time some unx fan regurgitates the "rogue offenders"/"AFAM only" company line , punch 'em in the mouth with this e-mail. AFAM was merely "Ground Zero." Other departments were also involved ( EXSS in this particular case ) and so were other educators. Here , it's Deb Stroman. Jaimie Lee's mentioned too. Her mom , btw , was a long-time office assistant to Dean Smith making Jaimie a tarhole born an' bred. The incest runs deep there. Lee was designated to shmooze Nyangoro to make 'im more pliable for the needs of the athletic department. Check out their correspondence sometime. Nuthin' explicit but definitely flirty an' playful. She hooked 'im up with the primo seating at Kenan and in the Nose Dome. He was easily seduced. Stroman? Deb's especially despicable. an African American woman herself , she actively supported the AFAM scam and the exploitation of under-educated African American athletes at the glorious "flagship." About the 16 minute mark , she blames the athletes for the scam and vehemently disagrees that the NCAA should re-investigate unx. Phillip Jackson of the Black Star Project slices her and unx to pieces....

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10672168

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@LocoCravey @RealSilentSam @Humane_Force Bigger sell-out? Deb Stroman or Winston Crisp?

Humane Force‏@Humane_Force

Based on what we know, Deb's actions are more disappointing. @DevilDJ32 @LocoCravey

Skadden, Cadwalader Snag Slice of unc’s Mounting Legal Fees

According to unc, the school has received nearly $2.8 million in legal bills for work handled by Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom between February and July of this year, with roughly $1.9 million of that sum itemized for matters “related to the academic irregularities.”

http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=12...s-Mounting-Legal-Fees?slreturn=20150927222806

pointwolf
A wise man, indeed
13154 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 1:23 PM

Re: Cheater Continuing Saga (strongly recommend page 2)

BIG RAM, " we are not between a rock and a hard place. The ncaa is between a rock and a hard place and there's another ten mil to back up that first 10 mil ....and they can take that to Dan Kane."

My take = you know where he stands and what he stands for. RAM is not drinking cool aide but is serving it to many. That first 10 mil has left many unc grads and fans believing it is all academics and from 2 or 3 wayward individuals. Sorta like if they lose their graduates and fans they lose the battle for brand.

unx alum Bob Lee...

I agree Joe. “The Butcher” belongs back at The U !

The Butcher got in trouble at uncCH by trying to install The U Culture at a “Harvard of The South” wannabee.
He recruited the same type of “youngsters” he recruited to The U. Marvin Austin was the next generation of Warren Sapp. Greg Little (actually a Bunting recruit, I think) was “a Michael Irvin”.

“The Scheme” had been in place at unc looong before Butch arrived in Chapel Hill. He didn’t know about it or care about it. It was “a basketball thing”. At The U he never had to be concerned about “academics” or “eligibility majors” et al. He could disguise FB recruits as Swimming recruits and knew no one would say a thing.

‘Canes Football was The Show in Coral Gables and BMFD was The Ringmaster. John Blake’s “Black Santa” routine would have been all the rage at Killian High or St Thomas Aquinas and all across the mangrove swamps and the (very) mean streets of Liberty City et al.

I know what you’re thinking. What about the sacrosanct “image” of The ACC? You mean The ACC with Louisville… and a certain ever-lasting TGU? THAT ACC? Bwahahaha….

I’ve always said this about The unc BOT3’s Monty Python-esque hiring of Butch…..

Those Fat Cat Jock-sniffers were so braggin’ rights-obsessed and blown away by his rings and the whole BMFD thing, they never asked “the questions”… or tried to explain that “carolina Way” silliness.

So BD just assumed he could operate as he always had at Miami and he did – until Marvin hit SEND…. and suddenly:

Holy Freakin’ Choo Choo! What has happened “amid our sacred pines” !!

http://bobleesays.com/2015/10/27/i-agree-joe-the-butcher-belongs-back-at-the-u/

Revealing e-mails from Jan Boxill....

What Was Jan Boxill Thinking? 3 Gems From Her Inbox

To many in academe, the most intriguing question following last year’s bombshell report of widespread academic fraud at the University of North carolina at Chapel Hill was not “How could this happen?” but, instead, “What was Jan Boxill thinking?”

Ms. Boxill, an ethicist and former chair of the Chapel Hill faculty, was found to have been a willing participant in the fake-classes scheme, conspiring to manufacture grades in order to keep athletes eligible to compete when she was an academic counselor for the players. Here’s a now-infamous example of Ms. Boxill trading emails with the mastermind of the scheme, the former manager of the department of African and Afro-American studies, Deborah Crowder:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/what-was-jan-boxill-thinking-3-gems-from-her-inbox/106098

Speaking of Boxill , these comments were made by her in an article first posted in 2010...

CSRPxUCW0AIukl5.jpg

The article...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...our-way-to-the-top/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Update. unx PR never sleeps. Tryin' to scrub these here interwebz , dadgummitt! Lulz...

Today, UNC has purged the IBIBLIO project of their archives of the Carborro Citizen http://www.ibiblio.org/carrborocitizen/main/2010/08/26/cheating-our-way-to-the-top/

Best of luck to the UNC PR machine as they try to purge the Google Cache of the same article: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...our-way-to-the-top/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Are the web pages affiliated with state agencies public records? Is deleting those pages compliant with NC records retention laws?

A web archives that existed for 5 years suddenly vaporizes when it is discovered it includes an unflattering quote from Jan Boxill.

https://twitter.com/CheatingBlueRam

Premier programs in NCAA purgatory

The ACC is turning into the SEC of college basketball.

Three of the conference's premier programs -- Louisville, Syracuse and North carolina -- have come under NCAA scrutiny in recent years. Syracuse took a self-imposed ban from last year's NCAA tournament. The NCAA's investigation into fake courses at unc is ongoing (and going and going). The NCAA is just beginning to wade into the murky waters of the sex scandal at Louisville.

These are three national programs run by Hall of Fame coaches.

What's going on? And will Swofford have anything to say about this?

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...sketball_media_day_5_things_to_watch_for.html

Pack Pride is digging thru the latest unx data dump. Someone unearthed this one. Deb Crowder chastises Art freakin' Chansky for being too complimentary of Duke. Lulz...

Hedjhog
Starter
6988 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report

I found this rather funny... Dirty Debby was a "better fan" than Art Chansky page 11038 of PDF1A

Sent:Monday, March 1, 1999 4:10 PM
To:achansky@goheels.com
Subject:Duke

Dear Mr. Chansky:

If you find yourself rooting for Duke, even a little bit, you need to
find some other way to make your living. Carolina fans, at least the
real Carolina fans, deserve more. It is difficult to follow the Heels
on the Tar Heel Sports Network these days because it often seems as
though we have accidentally tuned into the Duke broadcast, since all of
the praise is heaped on them. Those of us that know anything about
basketball know they are talented and don't need to be constantly
reminded of it. People do not listen to a network supposedly affiliated
with a school to hear praise of another team. I have listened to
broadcasts from other neighboring ACC teams and there is never anything nice said about the other team and that is fine. Re this Duke team:
since they are so talented it would be refreshing if for once they would
not constantly resort to bumping and hand checking. You should point
that out sometime when you once again see fit to make them the focal
point of your print or broadcast media.

Deborah Crowder
Pittsboro, NC 27312

unx refuses to distance themselves completely from those with the stench of scandal on 'em. They kept Lissa Broome and now this guy. Thing is , Guskiewicz didn't appear to be the fanboy(girl) that Broome is. Regardless , "cleaning house" just ain't something unx wants to do. One reason why their claims of "reform" and "moving forward" will always ring hollow...

Guskiewicz named unc Arts and Sciences dean

Former unc official: Pressure led to improper graduate admission of athletes
Kevin Guskiewicz, a sports medicine professor, will lead college

Guskiewicz is a well-known concussion expert who has advised NCAA, NFL

College of Arts and Sciences was the location of the academic and athletic scandal

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article41854134.html

Former unc official: Pressure led to improper graduate admission of athletes

Waddell is one of several athletes unc athletics officials sought to keep eligible to play by getting them into graduate school,

Two of the people involved in the Waddell case have ties to sports at unc. Kevin Guskiewicz, a professor and director of the Exercise and Sports Science’s graduate studies program in 2003...,

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article11845640.html

"porcophile..."

"But wait, there's more. Among the four classes that Guskiewicz indicated Waddell would take that fall was a notorious paper class--AFRI 120. Why in the world would that class be considered a "prereq" for an EXSS grad program (which is what Guskiewicz indicates in his letter)? It clearly would not, it makes no sense at all. It was listed among Waddell's courses only because it was a paper class--a paper class that Blanchard had obviously proposed. (The EXSS 88, Emergency Care, class was also notorious, present on most fb players' transcripts, but it not fraudulent in the way of Crowder courses.)

Note the last sentence, in particular: At least when I was on the faculty, graduate programs were serious business. (Mess with undergraduate courses if you must, but keep your g--d--n hands to yourself when it comes to our graduate school.) Of course this latest mess involves only Exercise and Sports Science, which many Arts and Sciences faculty don't think should exist in the first place, and certainly not in their college. The irony is that Guskiewicz is a genuine scholar, whose work on brain damage in athletes is important and respected. That he was corrupted speaks volumes.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport....dal-Sporting-News-Joins-the-unc-Bashing/page6

Cheating Blue Ram@CheatingBlueRam

Cheating Blue Ram Retweeted Cheating Blue Ram

@LocoCravey @newsom_cookie Am I wrong with this tweet?

https://twitter.com/CheatingBlueRam/status/...061371950743552 … New blood and new ideas are desperately needed.

Cookie Newsom ‏@newsom_cookie

@CheatingBlueRam @LocoCravey

Definitely needed, but definitely not welcome. They like the status quo and fight to keep it.

For contextual purposes , here's Cookie's account of her experience at the glorious "flagship..."

https://minerva5.wordpress.com/2014...stitutional-racism-not-athletic-skullduggery/

Pack Pride is digging thru the latest unx data dump. Someone unearthed this one. Deb Crowder chastises Art freakin' Chansky for being too complimentary of Duke. Lulz...

Hedjhog
Starter
6988 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | Report

I found this rather funny... Dirty Debby was a "better fan" than Art Chansky page 11038 of PDF1A

Sent:Monday, March 1, 1999 4:10 PM
To:achansky@goheels.com
Subject:Duke

Dear Mr. Chansky:

If you find yourself rooting for Duke, even a little bit, you need to
find some other way to make your living. Carolina fans, at least the
real Carolina fans, deserve more. It is difficult to follow the Heels
on the Tar Heel Sports Network these days because it often seems as
though we have accidentally tuned into the Duke broadcast, since all of
the praise is heaped on them. Those of us that know anything about
basketball know they are talented and don't need to be constantly
reminded of it. People do not listen to a network supposedly affiliated
with a school to hear praise of another team. I have listened to
broadcasts from other neighboring ACC teams and there is never anything nice said about the other team and that is fine. Re this Duke team:
since they are so talented it would be refreshing if for once they would
not constantly resort to bumping and hand checking. You should point
that out sometime when you once again see fit to make them the focal
point of your print or broadcast media.

Deborah Crowder
Pittsboro, NC 27312

Complaining about Duke getting away with bumping and hand checking...from top to bottom all Heel 'fans' are alike...whine, whine, whine.

OFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT