ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech next

The_Only_Blue

Cameron Crazy
Nov 10, 2021
How will we match up against them? We are both big and I wonder how will Jeremy play against someone who's bigger? Looks like they switch like we do on pick and rolls which is how the ND PG Matthews was getting to the basket often. But in the end when it mattered, TTU defense with some help from the zebras won.

Reactions: christophero
why are we being forced to travel across the country while tech has a week getting used to pacific time zone and playing in san diego? I hate this

Texas tech starting guards are huge. 1 6’5 and 2 6’6

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
TT matchup zone into man won’t be easy to figure out. Glad we have three days to review film and prep. Wonder if we apply little full court pressure to shorten shot clock.

Keels and More are strong dudes. I didn't watch the whole TT game yesterday. They are formidable for sure. But I didn't see anything that bothers me too much. They may be big in the back court, but we will have a clear size advantage in the front court. I like a similar game plan to MSU.....lots of points in the paint in the first 30 minutes of the game, then drop a few key 3's to seal the deal, and we cruise. ND had them on the ropes, but just couldn't close it out.

Wishful thinking? Well, sure, I'm a homer, but I don't think it's unrealistic.

Duke opening up +1. Interesting
And the reason why is Duke is better on offense than Texas Tech and Texas Tech is better on defense than Duke. Here are the KenPom numbers:

Duke- 4th in offense and 42nd in defense
TT- 1st in defense and 46th in offense

We damn near mirror each other on the opposite end of the court except they are #1 in their best category and we’re #4 in ours.

Expect a close game. Whoever’s BEST shows up will win (duh). They have to deal with our offense and we have to deal with their defense. They’re 27-9. That’s a lot of losses for a team with the No. 1 defense and I’m not sure how their defensive numbers stack up with others in the history of KenPom. I want to see the other teams they’ve lost to and see if we have similar profiles.

Keels and More are strong dudes. I didn't watch the whole TT game yesterday. They are formidable for sure. But I didn't see anything that bothers me too much. They may be big in the back court, but we will have a clear size advantage in the front court. I like a similar game plan to MSU.....lots of points in the paint in the first 30 minutes of the game, then drop a few key 3's to seal the deal, and we cruise. ND had them on the ropes, but just couldn't close it out.

Wishful thinking? Well, sure, I'm a homer, but I don't think it's unrealistic.
The big question is gonna be which 30% 3 pointer shooter is gonna go off and shoot 50% against us... There always seem to be 1 against us 😂😂

I also wonder is Texas Tech coming home then flying back to San Francisco or going directly from San Diego to San Fran? If the latter, I wonder if we fly out earlier to get adjusted to the time change since Texas Tech will have been there for a week.

I also wonder is Texas Tech coming home then flying back to San Francisco or going directly from San Diego to San Fran? If the latter, I wonder if we fly out earlier to get adjusted to the time change since Texas Tech will have been there for a week.

I hope we would fly out earlier and get used to the time change. I also hope that K calls up Brey and asks him how he prepared for Texas Tech, we may need all the info we can get.

Anyone hear anything official on AJ? He looked fine post game, but i haven't seen anything official. He's so important for Thursday because we are gonna need his shooting againt Tech.

Anyone hear anything official on AJ? He looked fine post game, but i haven't seen anything official. He's so important for Thursday because we are gonna need his shooting againt Tech.
I believe K said he’s ok

This is interesting….

Texas Tech ranks 21st in 2’s
Duke ranks 33rd in 3’s and 9th in 2’s

We certainly haven’t faced a defense this good all year so if we can adjust to them a lot quicker, I like our chances. K has done better than most coaches against great defensive teams (see his record against Virginia/Syracuse, etc.) It’s still going to be a challenge but I would rather face a team who (throughout the season) struggles to score than a team that scores easily.

Texas Tech ranks 21st in 2’s
Duke ranks 33rd in 3’s and 9th in 2’s

We certainly haven’t faced a defense this good all year so if we can adjust to them a lot quicker, I like our chances. K has done better than most coaches against great defensive teams (see his record against Virginia/Syracuse, etc.) It’s still going to be a challenge but I would rather face a team who (throughout the season) struggles to score than a team that scores easily.
They’re physicality is scaring out fans tj death but if we can play fast and speed them up, we can wear them down

Reactions: Quavarius
They’re physicality is scaring out fans tj death but if we can play fast and speed them up, we can wear them down
We can match their physicality! That’s why Michigan State was a better matchup with us than Davidson. Give me a team that allows Mark/Theo/Paolo to be as physical as possible and I like our chances.

Reactions: sheyduke and Liftee
In Texas Tech’s nine losses, they gave up an average of 68.1 points. Now, that is inflated because Kansas scored 94 against them in 2OT.

take out the 94 Kansas scored, and it’s 64.9

So, we need to score between 65-70 points (IMO) to feel comfortable beating them, which is going to be tough.

ND got hosed, that's for sure. That said, they made some boneheaded plays down the stretch too that led to their loss. No missed call was as bad as last night with the TCU kid being bumped into the half court. How that doesn't get called is beyond by comprehension for rational thought.

In Texas Tech’s nine losses, they gave up an average of 68.1 points. Now, that is inflated because Kansas scored 94 against them in OT.

take out the 94 Kansas scored, and it’s 64.9

So, we need to score between 65-70 points (IMO) to feel comfortable beating them, which is going to be tough.
They're UVA, but way better.

I think their 2 bigs like to shoot 3s. Mark and Theo will have to go out and guard their guy.
Looks like their top 3 point shooters are Forward Bryson Williams who is 6'8 at 40.9% and Guard Terrence Shannon 6'6 at 38.8%. Everyone else is low 30% range. Bryson Williams is also their top scorer at 13.9 Points per game. Full team stats below

Put pressure on their offense by scoring. If we are solid shooting the 3, that will spread them out. Easier said than done, but they have lost 9 games.

We almost got the gift of all gifts with Memphis and ND almost clipping Gonzaga & Texas Tech. We have by far the toughest road left to get to the Final 4. We know we are more talented than whoever we play, the question will be can we play together as a team and step up in the final minutes like we did on Sunday?

I think that the way the game is officiated will go a LONG way in determining the outcome of the Texas Tech game. Texas Tech is very physical, long, athletic, and they switch everything. They are the #1 defense in the country. I watched all 4 days of tournament action, and it's obvious that these Big12 teams are playing a mixture of basketball & football. If the refs let Texas Tech hand-check, bump, and push down low for rebounds, this could be a 50/50 game. If the refs call a tight game, I think Duke wins by 10+.

The officiating in college basketball is going to be getting hammered these next 3 days for how awful it was all weekend (and it definitely was awful.) So let's hope that changes are made and the games get called more tightly.

Reactions: KDSTONE
To beat TTU you gotta make your 3-point shots. Very rarely do we allow points in the paint.
Were a deep team- we can play 10 guys if necessary and often times sub out like a hockey team to maintain our intensity on defense.
We can really be bad offensively but most of our points come off turnovers in transition or in the paint- through Bryson Williams. Every once in a while we shoot well from 3-point but that's rare.

signed-

a red raider fan.

Last edited:
To beat TTU you gotta make your 3-point shots. Very rarely do we allow points in the paint.
Were a deep team- we can play 10 guys if necessary and often times sub out like a hockey team until we find the right matchups.
We can really be bad offensively but most of our points come off turnovers in transition or in the paint- through Bryson Williams. Every once in a while we shoot well from 3-point but that's rare.

signed-

a red raider fan.

ahh and that may explain your offense and defense. It’s hard to get in rhythm with frequent subs on offense, but it will wear down opponents on defense. Thanks for the info

Reactions: BleedScarlet&Black
I believe they have 5 transfers on the team so experience goes to them. We have a size advantage inside so we should exploit that...the B12 has been pushed hard this tournament in most games so maybe that conference wasnt as tough as people think...if we play with the intensity we did vs MSU and TTech brings their normal game vs playing out of their skins...we win by double digits. As they say though..if ifs and buts.....

Reactions: sheyduke
We almost got the gift of all gifts with Memphis and ND almost clipping Gonzaga & Texas Tech. We have by far the toughest road left to get to the Final 4. We know we are more talented than whoever we play, the question will be can we play together as a team and step up in the final minutes like we did on Sunday?

I think that the way the game is officiated will go a LONG way in determining the outcome of the Texas Tech game. Texas Tech is very physical, long, athletic, and they switch everything. They are the #1 defense in the country. I watched all 4 days of tournament action, and it's obvious that these Big12 teams are playing a mixture of basketball & football. If the refs let Texas Tech hand-check, bump, and push down low for rebounds, this could be a 50/50 game. If the refs call a tight game, I think Duke wins by 10+.

The officiating in college basketball is going to be getting hammered these next 3 days for how awful it was all weekend (and it definitely was awful.) So let's hope that changes are made and the games get called more tightly.

In other words, have to hope officials call all the BS fouling these guys do. I hate watching teams like this that are so called great defensive squads when in reality all they do is maul people constantly. Anyone that watched the ND game saw first hand that these guys aren't playing good D, they are just fouling the sh*t out of the opponent and getting away with it.

We can match their physicality! That’s why Michigan State was a better matchup with us than Davidson. Give me a team that allows Mark/Theo/Paolo to be as physical as possible and I like our chances.
This is why I see Tech doubling Paolo. I watched the game and man are they grown size wise.
if Mark and Johns can hold the low post down and we can get them the ball , Duke improves their chances . Techs two bigs aren’t tall but are physical and the Santos kid will try to push mark off the block.

Reactions: DukeJim99
In other words, have to hope officials call all the BS fouling these guys do. I hate watching teams like this that are so called great defensive squads when in reality all they do is maul people constantly. Anyone that watched the ND game saw first hand that these guys aren't playing good D, they are just fouling the sh*t out of the opponent and getting away with it.
Anything around the restricted arch they are sending three to four bodies in. Almost forcing the officials hands not to call anything. ND started spreading them out and the whistles started blowing .

If Duke takes it to TT, plays with heart, stands up to them, and play aggressive and force the refs to make calls, we will be in the bonus by the first media TO...

Reactions: KDSTONE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT