ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about Oral Roberts

Heard their starting guards defend and play an uptempo offense . Good match up for Roach and Proctor .

Average 9 turnovers a game
6.9 steals a game
14 assist a game
5 blocks a game ( that’s a little impressive for only having one 7’)
Average 10 three’s a game and attempt at least 12 free throws a game .
Average 84 points a game as well .

Last edited:
Reactions: Quavarius
Heard their starting guards defend and play an uptempo offense . Good match up for Roach and Proctor .

6.9 steals a game
14 assist a game
Sheesh! This could be a difficult first round matchup

Watched a little of their game against Houston. Only their 3rd game but completely crumbled against their physicality and length. They are also not a great defensive team. Nobody that can guard Flip (well…no one can really).

Difficult game unfortunately but all the 12’s look pretty solid so is what it is. I’d like to think if we can just get physical and put tremendous pressure on their guards, we should be good. Not worried about their big with Lively’s lateral ability. He’s horrible in ball screens as a defender as well which bodes extremely well for Proctor.

Reactions: Quavarius
All I know is that Kansas fans are praying that they beat Duke.

6.9 steals a game
14 assist a game
He’s 7’5 with a long ass wingspan, and he has a good jumper.

Their main PG is nasty. They shoot, and shoot well. Top 25 in fg % and 3pt %.

Last edited:
Yeah . The seven foot five guy I can see us put Lively on him allowing Flip to guard their 6’9” forward. The X factor will be Mitchell’s ability to guard multiple positions .

They’re playing 4 out with:

7’5
6’5
6’5
6’1
6’0

I see they went to the Sweet 16 in 2021. Scheyer can use that to get their attention. This won’t be some unknown mid-major

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Like most 5-12 matchups, Oral Roberts is no scrub and this will not be an easy game. However, the summit leauge this year was HORRIBLE and they lost to every tournament team they played.

I think Jon will have us focused and ready because we got disrespected today.

It'll be a battle, but they aren't sneaking up on anybody anymore. This isn't a CJ McCollum out of no where deal. We know they are good and we have 4 days to game plan for them. I like our chances.

Oral Roberts plays in my Alma mater’s conference (The Summit), they went unscathed in the league. Abmas if you recall was the one that went crazy for them during the 20-21 season and led them to the Sweet 16, they upset Ohio State as a 15 seed in that tournament. I will say this, Duke will be the most athletic team, Oral Roberts has faced since Houston.

If Duke continues to play the way they have since mid February by playing great defense, dominating in the interior, and taking great care of the basketball, Duke SHOULD WIN by at least double digits.

Defending the perimeter will be KEY!!! Also, I am confident Coach Scheyer will have the team focused.

Hi Guys,
A little bit about ORU as 6 of their top 7 players are seniors and have 4 guys that played substantial minutes on the sweet 16 team. Houston was the only game they were not competitive in this year. Of course, every Power 5 conference game they had this year was on the road as is usually the case for smaller conference teams.

Abmas will be the key as he is the multiple conference player of the year and is fun to watch if he gets hot.

Duke will have a huge height advantage and i would think would dominate on the boards. Also, will get a ton of easy baskets. If Vanover who is their center gets in foul trouble ORU will be in trouble as very small team without him.

Very tall order for ORU as i think Duke is by far the worst matchup for them as a 12 seed. If ORU can get hot and hit 12 to 15 3s i think they can be competitive. (Hopefully)

Reactions: ConorONeill
Hi Guys,
A little bit about ORU as 6 of their top 7 players are seniors and have 4 guys that played substantial minutes on the sweet 16 team. Houston was the only game they were not competitive in this year. Of course, every Power 5 conference game they had this year was on the road as is usually the case for smaller conference teams.

Abmas will be the key as he is the multiple conference player of the year and is fun to watch if he gets hot.

Duke will have a huge height advantage and i would think would dominate on the boards. Also, will get a ton of easy baskets. If Vanover who is their center gets in foul trouble ORU will be in trouble as very small team without him.

Very tall order for ORU as i think Duke is by far the worst matchup for them as a 12 seed. If ORU can get hot and hit 12 to 15 3s i think they can be competitive. (Hopefully)
Interesting part of this is Duke has given up double-digit 3s three times this year -- 10 each time against N.C. State, Miami and Virginia Tech (all of those were the first matchups). Duke hasn't given up more than eight 3s in a game since January.

Not saying ORU isn't *capable* of lighting them; just that ORU's strength runs up against one of the best attributes for Duke's defense.

Interesting part of this is Duke has given up double-digit 3s three times this year -- 10 each time against N.C. State, Miami and Virginia Tech (all of those were the first matchups). Duke hasn't given up more than eight 3s in a game since January.

Not saying ORU isn't *capable* of lighting them; just that ORU's strength runs up against one of the best attributes for Duke's defense.
Yes sir. Watched Duke in conference tourney and they look like they are really clicking right now.

Not sure ORU will hit 12 to 15 3s but i promise you it won't be for the lack of trying them!:)

Max will pull from 25 ft especially on rebounds where players are trying to get back on defense and Duke will have to keep track of him. Vanover the 7'5" will also step out and shoot them on a regular basis. Every player that plays for ORU including bench players will shoot the 3. They all have the green light as well.

Duke has so much more size than ORU that it will be tough for them if the shots aren't falling.

Reactions: ConorONeill
One thing that jumps out in looking at Oral Roberts season is in terms of who they played. I see a whole lot of the opponent names with the following words: “Dakota”, “Central”, “Christian”, “Liberty”, “Saint”, “City”, “Omaha”, “Dakota State”. etc. and then they played Houston and lost by nearly 40. (Btw I’m still asking the question after all these years as to why we need two Dakotas? JK)

With that said you can’t just sneeze at a 30-4 record especially with a nice group of upperclassmen. They’ve had a fine season no doubt.

We probably win 9 of 10 against them. Our defense should travel well. Gonzaga is a 3 and plays Grand Canyon. Kentucky is a 6 and plays Providence. Some tough early games but we should get to the sweet 16.

One thing that jumps out in looking at Oral Roberts season is in terms of who they played. I see a whole lot of the opponent names with the following words: “Dakota”, “Central”, “Christian”, “Liberty”, “Saint”, “City”, “Omaha”, “Dakota State”. etc. and then they played Houston and lost by nearly 40. (Btw I’m still asking the question after all these years as to why we need two Dakotas? JK)

With that said you can’t just sneeze at a 30-4 record especially with a nice group of upperclassmen. They’ve had a fine season no doubt.
Yep. Lost on road to St. Marys and Utah st in pretty competitive games on the road. Oklahoma st cancelled game with them before season and just couldn't get any other big games scheduled without the wonderful 2 games there and no return games. Tough spot for a smaller school. Houston was 3rd game of season and was an eye opener for sure. Really struggled with Houston's physicality. Hopefully better prepared this time.

Conference was really down this year but they took advantage of it. Big task on Thursday that is for sure but all the fans and players are very excited to play someone like Duke. When else does a team like ORU get to play that type of team.

This may be the type of game where we let their star go out and get 25-30 and shut everyone else down. I do see that kid is only 5'11 so hopefully our size wears him down.

Let’s get a lead early. The longer they hang around, the more interesting it’ll be. I like our draw for the most part, but this isn’t a gimme. Let’s keep the turnovers down.

They apparently are an elite high ball screen offense with good guards. A lot like Miami. They haven’t seen a defender like Lively all year, he eats high ball screens for breakfast. This won’t be a Ryan Young game.

Thanks for the info and insight Darren. Nice that sometimes opponent's fans can post here politely and respectfully. Good luck Thursday.

Proctor really seems to have become our lockdown defender against guards and small forwards. I expect coach will put him on their star guard for most of the game. Proctor has him by 6 inches, and that long wingspan, hopefully that will help contain him. Historically we have struggled against teams with this sort of backcourt, but as long as our defense travels well, I think we take care of business.

Let’s get a lead early. The longer they hang around, the more interesting it’ll be. I like our draw for the most part, but this isn’t a gimme. Let’s keep the turnovers down.

They apparently are an elite high ball screen offense with good guards. A lot like Miami. They haven’t seen a defender like Lively all year, he eats high ball screens for breakfast. This won’t be a Ryan Young game.

Speaking of, are Miami's guards not scary good to play against? It shows just how much Duke has improved when Miami started to press heavily in the ACC Tournament and Duke handled it very well without turning the ball over. I was surprised they didn't throw a few away despite their improvement. They make you think that every 3-pointer they heave is going in.

Agree Neue, 100% about Miami's guards and Duke's performance in that game. Unless we have some terribly off night and regress substantially, I think we are a really, REALLY tough out in this tourney.

Thanks for the info and insight Darren. Nice that sometimes opponent's fans can post here politely and respectfully. Good luck Thursday.

Proctor really seems to have become our lockdown defender against guards and small forwards. I expect coach will put him on their star guard for most of the game. Proctor has him by 6 inches, and that long wingspan, hopefully that will help contain him. Historically we have struggled against teams with this sort of backcourt, but as long as our defense travels well, I think we take care of business.
Yep. The good thing about Abmas is he used to being a marked man. Nothing seems to faze him. He also literally never comes out and doesn't seem to tire. Not sure how!:) Duke will have more than a few guys to cover him that is for sure!:) He does a great job of getting his teammates involved but they will have to give him some help on Thursday.

My best friend was an assistant coach at ORU for many years and so i still follow them and fun team to watch.

Greatly appreciate ya'll letting me post here and love talking hoops!:)

S

So does Greenburg of all people. I wonder where joel berry and guru gary-7 has us? Better still what does K-oach Q think of our chances. Anxious to hear his expertise. OFC
Sky, K-oach Q hasn't been around in 9 games since we are winning and he won't show up until we loose again, which I am hoping is next year!!!

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT