ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5

Laettshow

Starter
Mar 26, 2017
Well with Javin returning we now know what our roster will look like.This is the starting lineup I would like to see next year. What are you guys thinking????

PG: Tre
SG: Cassius
SF: Alex
PF: Hurt
C: Javin

I'm looking for Baker to beat someone out and to start. Just have that feeling that he's a player, from the 12 or so minutes I've seen him play. Too small a sample size?

Reactions: DukeDenver
Tre
AOC
Moore
Hurt
Carey

Only 2 real debates here. Stanley or AOC as the shooting guard, I think both will start at some point. Both give something different.
Pick 2 of 3 between Hurt, Carey, and Javin. I think Carey is a lock, and I'd give the nod of Hurt over Javin for shooting purposes. LOL at anyone who would consider Hurt at the 3, we would give up a lot of points.

Last edited:
Is he that bad on D? Like worse than Alex?
He's much slower laterally than even Alex. Which would be a big issue on the perimeter.
However, most of Alex's issues aren't with lateral quickness. He struggles with basic positioning (he always has his head NOT watching the ball), and strength. He's just too thin.
Strength shouldn't be an issue for Hurt, and hopefully he understands basic positioning, he's just sooo slow.

Reactions: christophero
Jones
Stanley
Moore
DeLaurier
Carey

Goldwire
AOC
White
Hurt

Losing Bolden was a big blow. We will have almost no depth in the post. I like the starting 5 though, it has good leadership mixed with good skill and athleticism.

I must admit most of my reasoning for wanting Hurt at the 3 is I want Javin to start. I don't want to go with 4 freshman and a soph. That's too young, and we have no Zion or RJ this year. Maybe Jack at the 3 or Baker. I don't think AOC is ready to start.

Reactions: dukehokie
Jones
Stanley
Moore
DeLaurier
Carey

Goldwire
AOC
White
Hurt

Losing Bolden was a big blow. We will have almost no depth in the post. I like the starting 5 though, it has good leadership mixed with good skill and athleticism.

That is an interesting line up. Hurt as a shooter off the bench.

He's much slower laterally than even Alex. Which would be a big issue on the perimeter.
However, most of Alex's issues aren't with lateral quickness. He struggles with basic positioning (he always has his head NOT watching the ball), and strength. He's just too thin.
Strength shouldn't be an issue for Hurt, and hopefully he understands basic positioning, he's just sooo slow.
With Javin back, Hurt can potentially play the 3 offensively and defend the 4/5 depending on matchups.

With Javin back, Hurt can potentially play the 3 offensively and defend the 4/5 depending on matchups.
Good call. While Javin is extremely limited offensively, his defensive athleticism/intensity provides a lot of flexibility on the defensive end.
I would still be shocked if we ever see the "3 big" lineup of Hurt, Carey, and Jav. Especially with the way modern basketball is going, more spacing and shooting is always needed.

Good call. While Javin is extremely limited offensively, his defensive athleticism/intensity provides a lot of flexibility on the defensive end.
I would still be shocked if we ever see the "3 big" lineup of Hurt, Carey, and Jav. Especially with the way modern basketball is going, more spacing and shooting is always needed.
True but both Carey and Hurt can stroke it from deep, pause.

I don’t know how much that lineup will play, but it at least gives us the option.

3 locks to me: Tre/Hurt/Vern

Doubt K starts 4 freshmen again....So I'll throw in Jav as well. SG spot is up for grabs but I'll go with Moore

Starting Five: Tre/Moore/Hurt/Vern/Jav

Next in line: Stanley/Jack/Baker/AOC/Jordan

Baker is the wildcard who could surprise many this season

I would be shocked, shocked, if Javin doesn't start. Coach K trusts his seniors.

I just don't know about Hurt. Awfully skinny.

One thing for sure I'm going to pay more attention to those who don't start. I'm going to pay much more attention to their body language especially when the camera spans the bench and during time outs. I haven't paid a lot of attention in the past because I watch the actual games. I just miss too much when I watch the game action. I wish I could do both like some of you can. Any tips. I have however figured out to know who has tired legs. :D:D:(:D:D OFC

Wish Baker would beef up to 210 pounds and become a better rebounder like
Pat Connaughton who played w the Irish and is now with the Bucks. At 6ft 4 and 210 pounds he is a beast under the boards and can shoot the 3.

Wish Baker would beef up to 210 pounds and become a better rebounder like
Pat Connaughton who played w the Irish and is now with the Bucks. At 6ft 4 and 210 pounds he is a beast under the boards and can shoot the 3.

Give him some time. I think he'still going to be big for us in the future. OFC

Reactions: dukehokie
Carey isn’t coming off the bench...

I think the staff looks closely at Jav or Hurt at the 4 next to Carey
And
Moore or Hurt at the 3

The Hurt/Carey 2 bigs will be solid offensively but might have its struggles defensively

Hurt at the 3 might not have the agility or ability to keep the ACC players at the 3 contained. Moore should be able to hold his own defensively

I can see the 2 spot being a battle too.
Alex can shoot and he’s been in the system but Stanley is s scorer

I would be shocked, shocked, if Javin doesn't start. Coach K trusts his seniors.

I just don't know about Hurt. Awfully skinny.

Tre, Hurt and Carey are starting. I know he doesn't promise a starting role in his pitch, but Coach K didn't put in the amount of time he did with Hurt for him to come off the bench. He expects him to start (which I believe he told the family--no promises but he expects him to start and be a major contributor, or something to that effect), and he will unless something goes really wrong. He's too gifted a scorer and he'll be a major part of our offensive game plan.

Only question is the other two spots. I strongly suspect it'll be Moore and either Stanley or O'Connell (with Baker having a shot). But it could be Moore and Javin.

But I think Javin will be one of the first guys off the bench.

Last edited:
One thing for sure I'm going to pay more attention to those who don't start. I'm going to pay much more attention to their body language especially when the camera spans the bench and during time outs. I haven't paid a lot of attention in the past because I watch the actual games. I just miss too much when I watch the game action. I wish I could do both like some of you can. Any tips. I have however figured out to know who has tired legs. :D:D:(:D:D OFC

Baker has outstanding body language. If he plays with the same enthusiasm as he does cheering on his teammates, he's going to be a handful.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
I must admit most of my reasoning for wanting Hurt at the 3 is I want Javin to start. I don't want to go with 4 freshman and a soph. That's too young, and we have no Zion or RJ this year. Maybe Jack at the 3 or Baker. I don't think AOC is ready to start.

I agree but not sure baker is ready or not either

Jones
Stanley
Moore
DeLaurier
Carey

Goldwire
AOC
White
Hurt

That 9 could be really great. I’m not worried about depth in the post at all. IMO the ideal Duke lineup should be three rangy guards, a long wing and one versatile big. Get me 5 confident guys that can all shoot.

Reactions: youngman42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT