ADVERTISEMENT

So where does this go?

That's concerning.
It's been a given for a while. The ACC won't last past 2036. Several schools have hired lawyers to examine the GoR. After 3+ years, no lawyer has found a way to escape it.

But sooner or later the SEC and B1G will get who they want. And what they want are schools that will increase their revenue per share: good football schools and/or big public universities with large alumni bases. Unfortunately college basketball doesn't move the needle at all when it comes to TV contracts.

Duke will eventually face a tough choice. Stay in the ACC and try to keep it afloat after it gets raided, or move to a conference like the Big 12, or possibly the Big East w/ football going independent.

It sounds like the NCGA is going to make the UNC BoG and BoT hold UNC hostage, and forcefully give NC State a seat at the B1G/SEC table they likely don't deserve. You may recall politicians in Virginia pulled similar shenanigans in 2003 to get VT a spot in the opening round of ACC expansion.

So yeah, politics and old white dudes ruining college sports and lifelong rivalries all for the sake of more money. It's gonna suck for the average fan.

It's been a given for a while. The ACC won't last past 2036. Several schools have hired lawyers to examine the GoR. After 3+ years, no lawyer has found a way to escape it.

But sooner or later the SEC and B1G will get who they want. And what they want are schools that will increase their revenue per share: good football schools and/or big public universities with large alumni bases. Unfortunately college basketball doesn't move the needle at all when it comes to TV contracts.

Duke will eventually face a tough choice. Stay in the ACC and try to keep it afloat after it gets raided, or move to a conference like the Big 12, or possibly the Big East w/ football going independent.

It sounds like the NCGA is going to make the UNC BoG and BoT hold UNC hostage, and forcefully give NC State a seat at the B1G/SEC table they likely don't deserve. You may recall politicians in Virginia pulled similar shenanigans in 2003 to get VT a spot in the opening round of ACC expansion.

So yeah, politics and old white dudes ruining college sports and lifelong rivalries all for the sake of more money. It's gonna suck for the average fan.

Old white dudes? I'm an old white dude and an average fan. OFC

The ACC is a dead conference walking. Duke would be wise to jump ship rather than go down with it. You can't expect schools to keep making 30 million a year less and stay relevent in sports. Hell, Vanderbilt is irrelevant in sports for the most part and can afford to build a new football stadium every 10 years based on what they get from the SEC. Personally, I'd love to see Duke in the Big 12 and make it the best basketball conference in the country. Or imagine duke Joined the Big 10 and got an extra 30 million a year. That could do wonders for a football program with NIL and everything.

The ACC is a dead conference walking. Duke would be wise to jump ship rather than go down with it. You can't expect schools to keep making 30 million a year less and stay relevent in sports. Hell, Vanderbilt is irrelevant in sports for the most part and can afford to build a new football stadium every 10 years based on what they get from the SEC. Personally, I'd love to see Duke in the Big 12 and make it the best basketball conference in the country. Or imagine duke Joined the Big 10 and got an extra 30 million a year. That could do wonders for a football program with NIL and everything.
Or maybe see if the Ivy League wants to expand.
OFC

That’s it.. what a douche hope your time here is short

Such a thought out post ruined with this last sentence. Plenty of blame to go in terms of the state of sports. What about the out of touch thug athlete?

Speaking of the average fan, the one that goes to the games? The majority are white.

Last edited:
Such a thought out post ruined with this last sentence. Plenty of blame to go in terms of the state of sports. What about the out of touch thug athlete?

Speaking of the average fan, the majority are white.
I am genuinely curious how the out of touch thug athlete is contributing to the death of the ACC?? Which is inevitable.

Money and power are the reason all of this conference realignment is happening, I believe that is the point Dave was making. I don’t have a roster, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of the players behind this are…old white guys.

Dave probably needs to go, but just because you feel triggered about the old white guys comment, doesn’t mean that the thug athletes need to get thrown under the bus. They have zero power/zero say as to who Duke will be playing in 2037, the guys at the top do.

At the moment, I don't think the Big10 wants Duke. If Elko can build up the FB program in the next 5 years, then maybe the strength of basketball and academics (I think that matters to the Big 10 more than the other conferences) will carry us in.

Otherwise, I'm fine with the Big12. I love their basketball. I watch it all the time while I can't stand the Big10 and SEC.

The SEC is not going to take Duke. Just a bad bad match.

I am genuinely curious how the out of touch thug athlete is contributing to the death of the ACC?? Which is inevitable.

Money and power are the reason all of this conference realignment is happening, I believe that is the point Dave was making. I don’t have a roster, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of the players behind this are…old white guys.

Dave probably needs to go, but just because you feel triggered about the old white guys comment, doesn’t mean that the thug athletes need to get thrown under the bus. They have zero power/zero say as to who Duke will be playing in 2037, the guys at the top do.
Even though the topic may be the death of the ACC, don't you think everything ties together? Greed by all parties is why college football and basketball are in the shape they are. Plenty of blame to go around.
So what if I'm triggered by that comment. I'll admit it. Why does everything have to be the white man's fault?

Even though the topic may be the death of the ACC, don't you think everything ties together? Greed by all parties is why college football and basketball are in the shape they are. Plenty of blame to go around.
So what if I'm triggered by that comment. I'll admit it. Why does everything have to be the white man's fault?
I think we agree, I read Dave’s comment strictly as referring to the death of the ACC, he’s a Carolina guy I think.

On a broader sense. We’re in this NIL mess due to the revenue generating athletes (football & basketball, 90% of which are black) asking for a piece of the pie. And the NCAA powers (which I’d bet are 90+% old white guys) saying no we aren’t going to give any of the pie. So they eventually agreed to NIL…NCAA keeps their money and the athletes get paid by boosters and donors.

As for the athletes. If I was a key figure in a billion dollar business, I would want a piece of the pie too, seems only fair. Dave probably didn’t need to be so blunt, but 2 wrongs definitely don’t make things right.

If Carolina runs from Duke to a separate conference I hope Duke refuses to schedule them in basketball.
Not me. I want Jon to keep beating that ass. And don't want their fans saying we were scared to play them. Jon is 2-0 vs them, and I think that grows to either 4-0 or 5-0 this year. I want to keep their fans miserable, and a big lopsided head to head of Jon vs hubie will do just that.

Last edited:
Reactions: devilsrule
If Carolina runs from Duke to a separate conference I hope Duke refuses to schedule them in basketball.

Yea what’s up with this? Holes really want to give up the rivalry like that? All the $$$ and attention! This past seasons the two meetings were ESPN’s highest rated regular season games this year.

Not me. I want Jon to keep beating that ass. And don't want their fans saying we were scared to play them. Jon is 2-0 vs them, and I think that grows to either 4-0 or 5-0 this year. I want to keep their fans miserable, and a big lopsided head to head of Jon vs hubie will do just that.

Nope, I would tell them to hit the road. They need that rivalry more than Duke. Duke is the premiere program in the country.

Reactions: christophero
Good post Sky, same here.

OFC
And here. OFC

Old White Dudes? In this woke-ass society, that makes you a racist, a sexist, and an ageist. And a tool. Where do female AD's and school presidents fit in? There are a bunch of them, you know? OFC.

And here. OFC

Old White Dudes? In this woke-ass society, that makes you a racist, a sexist, and an ageist. And a tool. Where do female AD's and school presidents fit in? There are a bunch of them, you know? OFC.
High-five DI!! OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Yea what’s up with this? Holes really want to give up the rivalry like that? All the $$$ and attention! This past seasons the two meetings were ESPN’s highest rated regular season games this year.
And we swept their a$$e$!!! OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT