ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

I just looked at the portal list and there are a lot of pretty good players in there. You can pick a team of experienced players if you choose like Miami did. It allows teams to immediately get experience. I'm glad we got 3 guys back already.

Reactions: pisgah101
The OAD done will lose some steam in the next two to three years. The transfer portal and NIL will pick up steam.
I agree the portal and NIL are the talk of the town right now. And NIL is a great thing if it keeps 2nd rounders in school like we are currently reaping the benefits of.

But I think OAD is what it is. There just hasn’t been a transcendent player really since Zion. Brandon Miller was special this year but choked in the tourney, Paolo last year but he was still a notch below Zion and Anthony Davis.

The big part of this rule is it means Cameron Boozer will most likely come to college. And he is going to be transcendent. Could probably play ACC ball next year and he will be a junior in HS.

Perfectly fine with the one and done rule staying. Glad we are not going all in on a freshman team like we have for the last 10 years, but you simply never say no to talent. A good mix of one and done, and a few sophomores and juniors seem to be the sweet spot.

Not a big fan. He's not very mobile. He does have a decent post game. He didn't exactly lead his team to a lot of success although who knows what kind of coach Howard is.

Reactions: mbdfan and Mac9192
I agree the portal and NIL are the talk of the town right now. And NIL is a great thing if it keeps 2nd rounders in school like we are currently reaping the benefits of.

But I think OAD is what it is. There just hasn’t been a transcendent player really since Zion. Brandon Miller was special this year but choked in the tourney, Paolo last year but he was still a notch below Zion and Anthony Davis.

The big part of this rule is it means Cameron Boozer will most likely come to college. And he is going to be transcendent. Could probably play ACC ball next year and he will be a junior in HS.
And Flagg who many also view as a superior prospect and who also reportedly really likes Duke. Overall, nationally, the 2025 class appears to be outstanding compared to the 23 and 24 classes.

Not a big fan. He's not very mobile. He does have a decent post game. He didn't exactly lead his team to a lot of success, although who knows what kind of coach Howard is.
Howard seems to be a bit of a hothead. I like Dickerson's game. He'll be a steal for someone in the portal. With a ton of experience with the right system and coach, he could be a game-changer for a group.

I’m good with passing on Dickinson, especially if Flip comes back. Yes he puts up solid numbers, but he can’t guard anyone. He also clogs down the offense, you have to run your offense through him for him to be effective.

If Flip leaves, I’m not against it.
There is a Michigan guy on the other board that agrees with this take. But if flip leaves we can do worse than a first team all Big 10 center with 3 years experience. 7-1 260.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
I know I don’t always hit the nail on the head but I mentioned a while back don’t look for the one and some rule to change . To many Vets were completely against it .

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Watching the Pitt game from the ACC tournament. With Lively gone, and Roach likely gone I think for us to be great next year we need Flip back. Flip is really good, and a legit 7 feet. If he returns he will be POY. Flip has elite length and skills. I really hope he sticks around, but the NBA will take notice of this. We would be very fortunate to get one more year of Flip.

Last edited:
I am not a fan in any way of the OAD era, but I don't think it's going anywhere. So if you're 18 years old coming out of high school, and you can go to the G-league or a high profile college program with some NIL money, my question is this......which route gets your "brand" more exposure? Does anyone watch the G League? Why wouldn't a top rated player go to a Duke, or Kentucky or Arizona, etc for a year where they would get national TV exposure and build their brand?
Heard a lot of different things.How much realistically can a Duke BB player expect to make on a NIL deal

I recall we recruited Dickinson strongly but ultimately chose Mark Williams, which was the right decision.
Duke actually wanted to bring in both Mark Williams and Walker Kessler. When Kessler opted for Carolina, Duke tried to get more involved with Dickinson but had too much ground to make up. But Duke was recruiting Dickinson after Williams had committed. The decision was to prioritize Kessler over Dickinson earlier in the process. Williams and Dickinson were never mutually exclusive.

The end result of Duke missing on both Kessler and Dickinson was Duke ending up with Matthew Hurt.

If Flip stays I don't think we need Hunter. But if he goes he is a big upgrade over Young and Reeves and the freshman forwards we have coming in. He's not a great defender but he is not Matthew Hurt. Plus he has a ton of experience. He averaged 18 and 9. I am generally not a fan of recruiting over people but if Flip leaves him and Lively need to be replaced. Hunter was vocal about the lack of NIL at Michigan so he may be looking for a Miami or Creighton type NIL deal.

Last edited:
Great point. Also helps he gets along so well with those guys.
Maybe he is thinking since he has been at Duke for 3 years he might as well go ahead and get that Duke degree. Pick up some NIL, get set for the future if NBA does not pan out, and get another shot at an NCAA championship. I am a glass half full guy. OFC

Roach has given us 3 years. That is pretty good for a 5 star. He sounds like he is ready to move on. Still; he's not going to get drafted and once he leaves that opportunity for a championship and to be the Duke PG is gone forever. But he may just be ready to go; all the guys he came in with are gone. Him back would be great, perhaps seeing other guys return will make him want to be part of something special.

Maybe he is thinking since he has been at Duke for 3 years he might as well go ahead and get that Duke degree. Pick up some NIL, get set for the future if NBA does not pan out, and get another shot at an NCAA championship. I am a glass half full guy. OFC
He’s set to graduate early, so that part wouldn’t apply. But certainly the other things listed are.

Very good very good
Thinking about it 1. Seems too cult-like 2. This one is not really its fault, but I am not a big fan of the whole brotherhood thing. I get it and if you want to call yourself that, fine. But seems a little arrogant, us vs them, and decisive. Seems like it could devolve into “you are not a true member of the brotherhood because…). Are transfers out a member of the brotherhood? Some are plain stupid transfers, but some I think are legit reasons and make sense. I do not fault Baker or Goldwire at all. Interesting you used to hear brotherhood a lot but this season, nary a word…

I found DBB to seem weird, I cannot put my finger on it. I actually enjoy it better over here.
It's a good source of info, but I don't post on there. They get very hung up on statistics.
As for the Brotherhood, it seems like a Duke/NBA thing. Like the cool kids club, I get why it could be perceived as divisive. I wonder how guys like Young and Blakes think about it.

Last edited:
It's a good source of info, but I don't post on there. They get very hung up on statistics.
As for the Brotherhood, it seems like a Duke/NBA thing. Like the cool kids club, I get why it could be perceived as divisive. I wonder how guys like Young and Blakes think about it.
You might be thinking of DBR? They really are big on statistics. DBB is an entirely different board with its own set of regular posters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT