ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

2 guys from other teams declared. Howard's son from Michigan and Mintz from Syracuse. Mintz did not hire an agent. he is projected second round.
WOW Joe Girard of Syracuse entered the portal. Guess he has one year left.

Roach leaving makes sense if Proctor comes back. If not, it will be a curious decision. He's given us 3 years and I am thankful for that. But when is the last time a starter gave up a final year of eligibility at Duke who did not enter the draft? Still it's his life. I've heard some say he might try another program, where he could play PG.
I would be thrilled to get Proctor, Mitchell and Flip back.
I will be SHOCKED to see Roach starting at another college in the Fall, Chris. It's either Duke or pro/g-league. And he's not coming back to Duke.

Last edited:
If Stewart is playing the 5 next year, we're in trouble. The chances are pretty good that we get two of Proctor, Mitchell, and Flip back, with strong indications we may see all three return. So many moving parts right now. But I think we're in good shape for next year.
I didn't mean to assert that Stewart would start at the 5 next year but if we are going to project Flip as the 5, I think Steward could spell him as a small ball 5. On there other hand, Jon may in fact hit the portal for a good 5 and keep playing Flip as a stretch 4. People are speculating either way right now. I just hope that we find out soon and have some fun speculating. Not a whole lot else to talk about right now and I am not ashamed to admit that once Duke stops playing, I lose most of my interest in the tournament. The teams that I would root against are also gone.

Games are won and lost this time of year by who stays and who goes. North Carolina did not have a good year, but UCLA and Gonzaga would not have had the seasons they had if they lost Timme and Jaquez. Kentucky misses the tournament without Oscar. We are overdue for some good luck in regards to this. You need some continuity. Roach leaving for another school would be strange, but Joe Girard was a 4 year starter at Syracuse who just entered the portal. My guess he moves on and tries to play pro. I'd prefer Roach and Proctor staying, even if it caused someone to decommit. Lose both and it will be back to square one. Proctor and Mitchell are 2 great building blocks. Flip would be nice, but he's probably late first round so this seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Games are won and lost this time of year by who stays and who goes. North Carolina did not have a good year, but UCLA and Gonzaga would not have had the seasons they had if they lost Timme and Jaquez. Kentucky misses the tournament without Oscar. We are overdue for some good luck in regards to this. You need some continuity. Roach leaving for another school would be strange, but Joe Girard was a 4 year starter at Syracuse who just entered the portal. My guess he moves on and tries to play pro. I'd prefer Roach and Proctor staying, even if it caused someone to decommit. Lose both and it will be back to square one. Proctor and Mitchell are 2 great building blocks. Flip would be nice, but he's probably late first round so this seems unlikely.
I think Roach is an altogether different situation, though, man. If Proctor were to shock me and jump to the league that would be the only way I think we see Roach entertain the thought of coming back. He will have a degree in May. He's improved with leaps and bounds at Duke, got a FF, and an ACC championship. I wish him the best at the next level, whatever that may be for him. I'm very interested in these next few weeks. Excited for what is coming for Duke and this fan base.

Girard would be a nice shooter off the bench for us. But I highly doubt that happens. I wanted him out of high school. He has limitations but he is a zone buster.

Last edited:
Truthfully I hope Love goes back to Holes too, this way they still have the same issues as before. Davis & Love will take 35-40 shots a game and Bacot is left trying to get the rebounds from their misses.

Truthfully I hope Love goes back to Holes too, this way they still have the same issues as before. Davis & Love will take 35-40 shots a game and Bacot is left trying to get the rebounds from their misses.
Yea but if those two get hot…..

It hasn’t been too often that both Love & Davis has been hot. Besides the NCAA tournament run in 2022, The Tarholes have been a bubble team with Bacot, Love & Davis. Good player but definitely have their issues and I would definitely welcome them all back next year.

I certainly admire the patience shown on this Board. The OP waited more than twelve hours after our exit to begin talking about who is leaving, etc.! Once some consensus is reached, hopefully soon, I can't wait for the riveting thread about how many minutes each player should get next year.
OFC
Why wait?

Suppose all of this year's starters return. Unlikely, I know, but it's a thought experiment, so run with it.

The question is: Which freshmen bump which returning starters out of their starting spots?

Why wait?

Suppose all of this year's starters return. Unlikely, I know, but it's a thought experiment, so run with it.

The question is: Which freshmen bump which returning starters out of their starting spots?
To answer this questions which is very hypothetical. If all starters were to return I’d expect some decommits to follow after they announced . Especially with the amount of forwards committed . That said I don’t think all return . Three I’m for sure are leaving in Roach, Whitehead and Lively . Not sure on Flip ( I don’t expect him back until he announces it) . Mitchell and Proctor I can see returning .

Mitchell and Proctor are key. Flip I'm not holding my breath on. Proctor will probably test. We may only get Mitchell back. I'd like to get at least 2 starters back for continuity. Every year a guy we thought comes back goes. That could be Proctor; but I hope not.

We're going to be happy. It won't be long. As I said before, Jon and his staff are doing it differently. We won't be waiting until the end like usual buddy! I know that's vague. But I posted my info early in the thread. And as of Friday afternoon, that hasn't changed.
If you are wrong I will hunt you down. I'm not rich but I have a very specific set of skills.

We're going to be happy. It won't be long. As I said before, Jon and his staff are doing it differently. We won't be waiting until the end like usual buddy! I know that's vague. But I posted my info early in the thread. And as of Friday afternoon, that hasn't changed.

Oh I know just seeing if you were more solidified in it. I hope it ain’t long for sure

Bleed, I'm putting my trust in you! Lol. I'm trying to not get too excited about Proctor, Mark and Flip all coming back but if they do?? I mean we have unlimited potential with our class coming in. Just the thought of a Proctor-Foster backcourt is insane!

Bleed, I'm putting my trust in you! Lol. I'm trying to not get too excited about Proctor, Mark and Flip all coming back but if they do?? I mean we have unlimited potential with our class coming in. Just the thought of a Proctor-Foster backcourt is insane!
2 of 3, is more than likely, but my dude has hope for all 3. I may stop speaking to him if we don't get at least 2, 😂

Reactions: JimboSlice00
If we have to go into the portal, we need to get someone that has Sr on their jersey beside their name. A grown a** man.
If we bring back a lot of these guys, we won't need'em. Plus, we have YMCA Young, and I think we will get another transfer senior big. I wish Roach would reconsider leaving because a senior Roach next year is Quinn Cook 2.0. But, it's not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT