ADVERTISEMENT

Share this tweet with your friends re: Zion

I have said it for the last two months. This team relies on creating turnovers. The games they have looked average or a little above, they created fewer turnovers. Tre is where the defense begins, Zion is the finisher. Not surprised at all by these numbers.

I think that’s why it’s so important for him to be out right now. The rest of the team gets to figure it out without him.

However, the team is 4-1 in games where they create less than 10 turnovers. And Zion was gone for 2 of those (1-1). Turnovers aren’t the whole story.

Reactions: skysdad

Thought I would share this tweet this morning for a good laugh. Grant Williams is a terrific player but come on...lol

I have said it for the last two months. This team relies on creating turnovers. The games they have looked average or a little above, they created fewer turnovers. Tre is where the defense begins, Zion is the finisher. Not surprised at all by these numbers.

Zion is the monster at the end of the book. Or, better yet, the monster under the bed or in the closet. Tre harasses your best ball handler. Cam smothers your best perimeter shooter. But, lurking, SOMEWHERE on the court is a great white named Zion. He swoops in out of nowhere to block shots.
Zion makes everyone hesitant and jittery. This lets the rest of our long armed and athletic players jump all over shaky passes and hesitant ball handlers. Guys take an extra few milliseconds to scan for Zion, making the pass a little slow or off target. Not by much, but by just a little bit. Whish is just enough for our guys to pounce. In transition we've got 3 finishers. Even if we don't get to the rim, we get into the half court, while the other guy can't set his D the way he'd like, making him a half step late/slow on every decision, which is more fodder for us.
So, yeah, Zion helps. Duh.
The fear is that there are 3-5 teams that are good enough on O, for a variety of reasons, that won't be as adversely effected by our D, even with Zion, to give us the chances we need.

I've been trying to stay out of these threads because they seem very "sky is falling" to me, haha. And there are a lot of them.

I think that the most important thing we end up lacking without Zion is that extra bit of emotion. I think this is easily a top 5 team without Zion, however, his raw emotion and the way the team draws off of that is the most important factor. Stats are great, but the team is better when it has its emotional leader and that is what has been taken away.

That's not to say RJ or Cam or someone else couldn't do that, but most of the rest of the team has a more "workmanlike" attitude. They've largely deferred to Zion's visual leadership in many ways. They tend to be more reserved from an emotional standpoint. We get that emotional kick back and this is more of a Championship team (which I think it is even without him).

Grant Williams is a heck of a player. Like many great post power forwards he finds a way to get the ball in the basket around the rim thru contact when it seems he has no chance. He's a leader who made a big game winning basket for TX against an unranked team when they really needed to stop the downward spiral. That's a team leader.

But, yeah, please, let's not go crazy with the Zion comparisons. :rolleyes:

I've been trying to stay out of these threads because they seem very "sky is falling" to me, haha. And there are a lot of them.

I think that the most important thing we end up lacking without Zion is that extra bit of emotion. I think this is easily a top 5 team without Zion, however, his raw emotion and the way the team draws off of that is the most important factor. Stats are great, but the team is better when it has its emotional leader and that is what has been taken away.

That's not to say RJ or Cam or someone else couldn't do that, but most of the rest of the team has a more "workmanlike" attitude. They've largely deferred to Zion's visual leadership in many ways. They tend to be more reserved from an emotional standpoint. We get that emotional kick back and this is more of a Championship team (which I think it is even without him).

Can't give this post enough likes!! I agree 100%!

Reactions: dbav

I disagree that we are top 5 WITHOUT Zion. Top 10, sure, but we are closer to 10 than to 5.

Reactions: Mac9192
I disagree that we are top 5 WITHOUT Zion. Top 10, sure, but we are closer to 10 than to 5.

That's fine, but RJ, Cam, Tre and Bolden are a better 4 then just about any team can put out there. At least 2 of those guys can win us a game essentially by themselves. In my opinion, I think we are clearly a top 5 team without.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwill133
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT