ADVERTISEMENT

Season probably over

Getting back on topic a disappointing season. I really hope guys buy in and come back. I am trying to keep things in perspective. My thoughts keep coming back to the cancelled games and how those few extra wins could have gotten us in, but coach did what he thought was right, even above winning. We should be much better next year, but that is assuming everyone comes/does not look elsewhere. If we can start Williams, Banchero, Moore, Steward and Roach we should be improved. Feel bad for the kids; it seems cruel that we were possibly one game away from getting in. Not watching one second of the tournament. It just hurts right now.

"there is no greater burden in life than potential" - Charlie Brown
Moore will need to improve, Roach and Steward have to get stronger and smarter, AND the big one...we need to find someone to play point guard and run this team. Watching the games this weekend, all the teams had older, mature guards as compliments to younger ones which gave them consistent leadership on the floor.

Getting back on topic a disappointing season. I really hope guys buy in and come back. I am trying to keep things in perspective. My thoughts keep coming back to the cancelled games and how those few extra wins could have gotten us in, but coach did what he thought was right, even above winning. We should be much better next year, but that is assuming everyone comes/does not look elsewhere. If we can start Williams, Banchero, Moore, Steward and Roach we should be improved. Feel bad for the kids; it seems cruel that we were possibly one game away from getting in. Not watching one second of the tournament. It just hurts right now.
Wish K would have done what Roy did, and found some replacement games. This wasn’t his best effort this season.
I don’t see how any rational fan can say otherwise.

This is the second straight year of no tournament. It's like being put on probation lol. By next year it will be 3 years since we've seen Duke in the tournament.

• Sad
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Wish K would have done what Roy did, and found some replacement games. This wasn’t his best effort this season.
I don’t see how any rational fan can say otherwise.
Love ya buddy but beware the wrath you may get for questioning K 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Mac9192
This is the second straight year of no tournament. It's like being put on probation lol. By next year it will be 3 years since we've seen Duke in the tournament.

This has been a real gut punch of season for us all. Everyone did their best though. I think the staff did all they could. Kids played hard and gave it their all. We just had our shot taken away there at the end. I do believe this team was about to make a run to the ACC title game and possibly win it. We shall never know though. Let's hope everyone comes back and we win it all next season.

Reactions: christophero
Your obsession with me - you just can’t move on. I get it. 😂

what’s next? Covid boo-hoo? 🙀. Or the crappy NJ? Death metal maybe?
If you want death metal recs, I'm totally happy to shoot you some bruh. All you had to do was ask. What styles do you like? OSDM, Tech-Death, Prog, Symphonic, Disso-Death, Blackened-Death, Black/Death, Death/Thrash, Slam, BDM, Swe-Death, Melo-Death, whatcha into?

Your obsession with me - you just can’t move on. I get it. 😂

what’s next? Covid boo-hoo? 🙀. Or the crappy NJ? Death metal maybe?
Or maybe tell me your favorite bands, and then I can try to match up some newer stuff like them. Death(R.I.P Chuck), Cannibal Corpse, Portal, Behemoth, Entombed(R.I.P L.G. Petrov) Opeth, Pestilence, At The Gates, Insomnium, Archspire, Nile, Archgoat, Organectomy, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Aether Realm?

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
I would feel better if we had lost to FSU and then not made it. The not knowing is the worst. Hopefully our kids use this like Virginia did a few years back as motivation.

By the time we get to the 21-22 tournament it will have been 3 years since we watched a Duke team play in a NCAA tournament game :(

Reactions: christophero
I don’t think we would have got in with those “wins” ...not confident we would have even won all them. But If we would have won those, THEN beat FSU, (which I think they’d take us out in 5 of a 7 game series 🤷‍♂️) but we were in IMO. As I type this I’m thinking about our guys developing faster and likely changing the whole narratve of the rest of the games we lost sooo yea, I think we were in had we PLAYED those games..so I guess.. I agree?..:/ Look at the positives though. between the politics, corona, JJ leaving, all those canceled games early in the season, K skipping practice 😂, with a team full of freshman...we were on the bubble! Above 500! The negatives... @timo0402 I think we’d been bettter off next season had we lost the first game of the ACC tournament lmao.... as much as I wanted to make you eat those words😂 Mark played his way “UP” (not in) on draft boards! ...Hope he’s a Dukie and still hungry! :|

I don’t think we would have got in with those “wins” ...not confident we would have even won all them. But If we would have won those, THEN beat FSU, (which I think they’d take us out in 5 of a 7 game series 🤷‍♂️) but we were in IMO. As I type this I’m thinking about our guys developing faster and likely changing the whole narratve of the rest of the games we lost sooo yea, I think we were in had we PLAYED those games..so I guess.. I agree?..:/ Look at the positives though. between the politics, corona, JJ leaving, all those canceled games early in the season, K skipping practice 😂, with a team full of freshman...we were on the bubble! Above 500! The negatives... @timo0402 I think we’d been bettter off next season had we lost the first game of the ACC tournament lmao.... as much as I wanted to make you eat those words😂 Mark played his way “UP” (not in) on draft boards! ...Hope he’s a Dukie and still hungry! :|
I’ve got more to say...as you can guess...hopefully recording again soon. What a year.

Reactions: IFaZe
The missed opportunities of the nonconference games and the ACCT are all true, but the reality is Duke had ample opportunity anyway and just came up a little short. I believe they lost 9 games by 6 points or less. If they swing any two of those winnable games, even without the noncon and the ACCT, they are in. It just wasn't meant to be this year - on to the next one!

For a significant part of the season, we weren't very good. Bad defense, stupid turnovers, lackadaisical rebounding, poor shooting. Unless they change the rules and say only the last 3 weeks matter, the majority of a bad season can't be ignored.

We were trending upwards. Besides the terrible UNC loss we have been solid for the past three weeks. Had a couple close games gone our way we would have been in as a middle/high seed like Syracuse. They didn't, and we are out.

We are in that position that is very unique to us, yet I think a dozen or more teams deal with it every year. We are one of the top 64 teams in the country right now. If we played every team in the field of 64 right now I bet we win 65% of those games. But based on the seeding system and automatic bids we are out, as we should be. We are spoiled at Duke. Most programs deal with this on a regular basis. Time to circle the wagons and plan to hit 2021-22 in beast mode, hungry and with a chip on our shoulder.

Now I'm a Mount St. Mary's fan. My father is allum, and I nearly attended!

Hope the players had a voice in the decision. If not then I would say that was wrong.

Hope the players had a voice in the decision. If not then I would say that was wrong.
I heard all of the players voted to play, but K overruled them. Now they are all transferring or going pro.

Damn. We can't even play in the tournament if somehow we got in. Thought we had a shot the way we were playing. The hits keep coming. Please Mark Williams come back.
Yeh cus he was such a difference maker

Nah after 40 years you don’t kind of switch teams. You just eventually walk away if it reaches that point. And I was watching these games when you were probably in diapers.
Most of these clowns still in diapers

Or maybe tell me your favorite bands, and then I can try to match up some newer stuff like them. Death(R.I.P Chuck), Cannibal Corpse, Portal, Behemoth, Entombed(R.I.P L.G. Petrov) Opeth, Pestilence, At The Gates, Insomnium, Archspire, Nile, Archgoat, Organectomy, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Aether Realm?
Nah, I like life, I don’t need that “woe is me, I’m angry at life” excuse for what you call music 😂

If you want death metal recs, I'm totally happy to shoot you some bruh. All you had to do was ask. What styles do you like? OSDM, Tech-Death, Prog, Symphonic, Disso-Death, Blackened-Death, Black/Death, Death/Thrash, Slam, BDM, Swe-Death, Melo-Death, whatcha into?
I just like making fun of angry goth teens from NJ 🤪. Carry on young fella - no reason to banter with crappy music. Feel free to stalk my posts though! Cheers!

Last edited:
Numerous teams opted out, in addition to Duke. Lifting of mask mandate in Texas didn't help, esp. since Duke had to pass up an ACCT game due to positive Covid test.
Can you cite any source that says the Texas mask mandate is reasoning why duke didn’t participate?

For a significant part of the season, we weren't very good. Bad defense, stupid turnovers, lackadaisical rebounding, poor shooting. Unless they change the rules and say only the last 3 weeks matter, the majority of a bad season can't be ignored.

Duke is a thorny issue with this. Duke ran out of time and had a bad break. The whole season cannot be ignored, true, but if there is a significant change in personnel, thaT is a factor. In 2011, Duke received the overall number one in large part because Kyrie was back.

Cincy lost a one seed when Kenyon Martin got hurt.

In Duke's case, there was no denying this team was completely different when JJ left. Personnel was not even discussed that was mentioned in the past.

How you are playing right now was never mentioned.

You cannot convince me our resume and Syracuse is much different and we beat them like a rented mule.

I still think overall record kept us out. Which is funny because we go 4-2 at worst if we play the COVID cancelled games

Can you cite any source that says the Texas mask mandate is reasoning why duke didn’t participate?
Yes:

Brendan Marks, Duke beat writer: After months on end of asking college students to do basically the opposite of what they normally would — isolating, not seeing their friends or family, you name it — enough is enough.

There's serious mental fatigue from players, coaches, staffers, and pretty much everyone involved in college basketball. Asking these kids to continue subjecting themselves to such strict standards works if you're talking about winning a national championship ... but not the NIT. Another note here that can't be ignored: Texas lifting its statewide mask mandate. Once that happened, you basically figured teams like Duke, that have been super stringent about COVID-19 precautions, wouldn't be there.

Yes:

Brendan Marks, Duke beat writer: After months on end of asking college students to do basically the opposite of what they normally would — isolating, not seeing their friends or family, you name it — enough is enough.

There's serious mental fatigue from players, coaches, staffers, and pretty much everyone involved in college basketball. Asking these kids to continue subjecting themselves to such strict standards works if you're talking about winning a national championship ... but not the NIT. Another note here that can't be ignored: Texas lifting its statewide mask mandate. Once that happened, you basically figured teams like Duke, that have been super stringent about COVID-19 precautions, wouldn't be there.

got it, I thought the Duke staff said something I missed. Masks likely aren’t a big reason IMO, but who knows at this point.

The other reasons make sense to me - the kids have to be spent mentally.

Thank you for the compliment you clinically challenged dolt. Go figure, 3 Leftists in you @bleediteveryday30, and @durhamgolfer all using your clinically flat, subjective reasoning for “mask effectiveness” as a legit reason why Duke said no. Oh well, thankfully none of you work as a clinician and/or in ID, or we’d be hosed. People like you, along with the right-wingers who lick doorknobs to prove points are a reason why we are in this mess, 2 months into a train wreck of a presidency. And we thought Trump was bad 🤦🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT