ADVERTISEMENT

Season probably over

K was right, everyone should have made the tournament this year. By the time everything shaked out with true positive tests etc, you probably would have a reasonable field. More exciting at the least.

Reactions: GillJET
K was right, everyone should have made the tournament this year. By the time everything shaked out with true positive tests etc, you probably would have a reasonable field. More exciting at the least.
Can’t believe I’m agreeing with this, but now with only 1 day to go before Selection Sunday, this feels like the best solution.

Reactions: Duke Blu
So, Duke is deserving of the tourney although they beat no top 25 team and are only two games above .500? So do they say the same next year? What’s the point of competing if everyone just gets in?
Duke also has no pauses during regular season due to covid and their only chance of making the tourney was the ACC tourney out right bid( yes I’m in the camp they had to win to make the tourney not just make the championship game.) so I’m lost other coaches haven’t made any excuses so why should every team be in?

Reactions: Fourteen44
And duke beat “tourney teams”, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgia Tech. Only 2 teams “blew out” duke in the regular season, Illinois and unc (2nd time)

And duke beat “tourney teams”, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgia Tech. Only 2 teams “blew out” duke in the regular season, Illinois and unc (2nd time)
Louisville beat Duke twice in regular season, split with Georgia tech and I forgot UVA was ranked when they played but after duke went on what a three game loosing streak ? Carolina beat Duke twice not just the beat down on senior night and Duke also loss to non tourney teams both at home and away when they were favored. Point being, if you don’t have to compete why have any tourney ? Also Duke beat Louisville without their main rim protector. I don’t think the win over them helped as much as the loss provided Louisville with a strong case as they were missing their most valuable front court player.

Duke from February onward is not the same team they were in December and January.

These are the teams Duke is “competing with” to make the field....

Last 4 Byes:

G Tech (NCAA tourney team, currently on a 7 game win streak, 8 if they win tonight), Duke split with them in the regular season.

Michigan State (beat Duke)

UCLA

Syracuse (Duke blew them out)

Last 4 In:

1) Louisville (won 2/3 against Duke, did not “dominate” Duke in either of their wins against Duke whereas Duke dominated them in the ACC tournament).

2) Drake (1 signature win all season against Loyola Chicago, Duke’s win over Virginia is better alone)

3) Utah State

4) Saint Louis

First Four Out:

1) Colorado State

2) Memphis

3) Ole Miss

4) Boise State

Next Four Out:

1) Duke

2) Seton Hall

3) Xavier

4) St. John’s

like it or not Duke is “in the conversation” of making the tournament when the field is selected tomorrow! Let’s Go Duke!!!!!

Duke from February onward is not the same team they were in December and January.

These are the teams Duke is “competing with” to make the field....

Last 4 Byes:

G Tech (NCAA tourney team, currently on a 7 game win streak, 8 if they win tonight), Duke split with them in the regular season.

Michigan State (beat Duke)

UCLA

Syracuse (Duke blew them out)

Last 4 In:

1) Louisville (won 2/3 against Duke, did not “dominate” Duke in either of their wins against Duke whereas Duke dominated them in the ACC tournament).

2) Drake (1 signature win all season against Loyola Chicago, Duke’s win over Virginia is better alone)

3) Utah State

4) Saint Louis

First Four Out:

1) Colorado State

2) Memphis

3) Ole Miss

4) Boise State

Next Four Out:

1) Duke

2) Seton Hall

3) Xavier

4) St. John’s

like it or not Duke is “in the conversation” of making the tournament when the field is selected tomorrow! Let’s Go Duke!!!!!
And they would be getting in on the name and fan support that’s it if selected. That’s why no one has commented if they got selected tomorrow would they play . And by fan support I mean tickets bought for the tourney games.
The ACC tourney game will be looked at by the committee as Williams being out for Louisville.
IF Duke is selected it is because of money period .
They aren’t the same team but they were still up and down . The inconsistency of the guard play was still there.

And they would be getting in on the name and fan support that’s it if selected. That’s why no one has commented if they got selected tomorrow would they play . And by fan support I mean tickets bought for the tourney games.
The ACC tourney game will be looked at by the committee as Williams being out for Louisville.
IF Duke is selected it is because of money period .
They aren’t the same team but they were still up and down . The inconsistency of the guard play was still there.

I gave you a list of their competition, please provide me with 8 teams from that list based off the eye test alone who should be in over Duke at this point or has a way much better resume than Duke to make the tournament.

I gave you a list of their competition, please provide me with 8 teams from that list based off the eye test alone who should be in over Duke at this point or has a way much better resume than Duke to make the tournament.
Why. I’m a Duke fan and die hard but Duke doesn’t earn a tourney bid simply off their name and a down year. Tell me out the list you gave me who Duke deserves to get in over? Not the last four in the last eight.

I wasn’t saying they deserved it over their name, I said based off resume and qualify wins.

teams who deserve to be in from that list over Duke, that’s all I can think of.

michigan state
G Tech
Syracuse
Louisville

I wasn’t saying they deserved it over their name, I said based off resume and qualify wins.

teams who deserve to be in from that list over Duke, that’s all I can think of.

michigan state
G Tech
Syracuse
Louisville
Well let’s look at Dukes record compared to the next four out which you put ahead of them;
Colorado st. 18-6 overall, 14-4 conference, 7-3 on the road , 10-1 home
Memphis 16-8 overall, 11-4 conference , 4-3 road, 10-1 home
Ole Miss, 16-11 overall, 11-4 conference, 4-3 road, 10-4 home
Boise St. 18-8 conference , 14-6 Conference, 11-1 home and 6-6 road

Duke , 13-11 overall, 9-9 conference, 8-5 home , 3-6 road.

Out of the four in front of Duke all have a better home and on the road record then Duke. All have atleast three more wins then Duke , all have a better conference record then Duke .

In all Dukes wins yes one is over Virginia, all their losses are close but at the end of the day the four ahead have more wins especially both on the road and at home.

Reactions: Jperry1987
Well let’s look at Dukes record compared to the next four out which you put ahead of them;

Out of the four in front of Duke all have a better home and on the road record then Duke. All have atleast three more wins then Duke , all have a better conference record then Duke .

In all Dukes wins yes one is over Virginia, all their losses are close but at the end of the day the four ahead have more wins especially both on the road and at home.

look I don’t think our guys will get in, but they do have a chance. If they get in, I will cheer them on the remainder of the season until their season ends.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

All those teams also play in bad conferences. ACC is down this year and still one of the 3-4 best conferences. Now I'm not saying we should get in, personally I feel you should have to win 60% of your games to get an at large. That being said, we probably would beat all those teams by ten or more points in a head to head.

Georgetown winning really threw a wrench into the bubble too. Great to see that happen for Ewing though and I loved seeing Creighton lose. Oregon State is giving Colorado a hard time in the Pac-12 championship. Who comes off the bubble if they win it?

So, Duke is deserving of the tourney although they beat no top 25 team and are only two games above .500? So do they say the same next year? What’s the point of competing if everyone just gets in?
Duke also has no pauses during regular season due to covid and their only chance of making the tourney was the ACC tourney out right bid( yes I’m in the camp they had to win to make the tourney not just make the championship game.) so I’m lost other coaches haven’t made any excuses so why should every team be in?
This idea was a one off because of the pandemic. Duke may not have had any pauses but they had those early games cancelled, and those were important for a young team. Anyway, what was behind the suggestion was that with all the cancellations and rescheduled games, it would be really difficult to figure out the top 68 and unfair to some teams who had to play harder schedules. Look at the ACC, Georgia Tech won two games and is tourney champ. People here have talked about how weird that is.

Duke has no business getting in, even in this odd season. If they do somehow, we would never hear the end of it (rightfully so).....

If you read the other thread, you would read my very reasonable plusses for Duke.

Anyway, the big one has not been mentioned anywhere: what team are you going into the tournament? The results speak for themselves with JJ gone.

And what about the year when literally no one had UCLA in, UCLA not only made it, but was not in the play in game. Or the year where Arizona should not have got in, but then everyone had them in the sweet 16.

With a straight face, can you tell me Duke, with the eye test, is not one of the best 37 teams?

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
The numbers are against Duke. The eye favors Duke. Remember, the NET has Colgate at 9 going into day...

And as for Williams being out for Louisville, they sure gave Duke a break the year they only lost one game when Ryan Kelly was not out...

So did we get in? Any one leak anything?

Do not confuse me with ban wagon fans if we got in I’d still cheer but do I think they earned it? No I do think they were trying and continuing to grow but I’d rather them take all the negative toward Duke and leave no doubt next season as to who Duke really is .

This is what you get, right or wrong, with a revolving door committee. Some years they lean on numbers, some years the lean on the eye test. This year, they obviously leaned on the number. Kind of funny, considering COVID and the fact that the net had Colgate at nine entering today. The NET was supposed to correct problems the RPI created like this...

Some odd choices by the committee and a lot of teams just above .500...its going to be a wild one I think.

These players need to be hungry . From starters to the bench. If this doesn’t motivate any of them then they don’t need to wear the Duke jersey imo.

Getting back on topic a disappointing season. I really hope guys buy in and come back. I am trying to keep things in perspective. My thoughts keep coming back to the cancelled games and how those few extra wins could have gotten us in, but coach did what he thought was right, even above winning. We should be much better next year, but that is assuming everyone comes/does not look elsewhere. If we can start Williams, Banchero, Moore, Steward and Roach we should be improved. Feel bad for the kids; it seems cruel that we were possibly one game away from getting in. Not watching one second of the tournament. It just hurts right now.

Getting back on topic a disappointing season. I really hope guys buy in and come back. I am trying to keep things in perspective. My thoughts keep coming back to the cancelled games and how those few extra wins could have gotten us in, but coach did what he thought was right, even above winning. We should be much better next year, but that is assuming everyone comes/does not look elsewhere. If we can start Williams, Banchero, Moore, Steward and Roach we should be improved. Feel bad for the kids; it seems cruel that we were possibly one game away from getting in. Not watching one second of the tournament. It just hurts right now.

Think you're forgetting about Griffin. He'll start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT