ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup

That was a fantastic Ryder Cup. So many up's and down's- Reed just became a bonafide superstar in the game of golf. You'll be watchng that Rory/Reed match for many years to come. Really proud of the way we came out on sunday. That was some of the best golf watching i've done in a long time.
timo, i have to admit it inspired me. I had a "red" weekend myself, shooting 70 on Saturday and 71 Sunday. I didn't let out any "come ons" though, lol.

The Mickelson/Sergio match was absolutely nothing like I have ever seen in golf before. Both shot 63 and neither won. Amazing! It was actually funny to hear both in their interviews after. Both knew it was great to be part of but both hated that they did not win. Their is history there. No love lost for sure. Which is great for the game!

I've been off the board for a while but wanted to share some info about the Ryder Cup.

First things first, it's the greatest sporting event I've ever attended. That's not to say I've attended all the big one's, but some of the one's I have attended....World Series games, Final Four's, NFC championship games and a myriad of Duke games, including two Final Four's, once in Maui, multiple trips to Cameron, seeing Duke play at Wisconsin and in New York, etc. just pale in comparison. Maybe it's partly because the Ryder Cup was in my backyard (about six miles from my house), but it's also because it was like nothing I've ever seen. But enough about that.

The atmosphere was incredible. And yes, there were a few knuckleheads like there always is in any sporting event, but the crowds were at no point hostile. I was able to go last Wednesday for a practice round and then again on Friday and Saturday for the first two days. While there was some chirping (on both sides) it was also still very golf-like, to make up a term. We got to know some Euro fans that we met on Friday and actually met up with them again in the International Pavilion on Saturday. Salt of the earth kind of people. They wanted the USA to lose and we wanted them to lose....but it was all in good fun.

Hazeltine has never looked better. Ever. And that's saying something, because our region has had rain dumped on us almost constantly since late July/early August. It's in the 12-13 inches total in that timeframe. On top of that, the kind of weather we had for the three actual days was heaven-sent. Late September/early October can bring with it cold(er) temps and high winds. We had none of that. Temps were low-to-mid 70's all three days and wind was a non-factor. I've had the pleasure of playing Hazeltine probably 8-10 times in my lifetime....I was never more proud of how it looked this past week.

Onto the golf. As you said Denn, Patrick Reed was an animal. The galleries just loved him....I think the fans fed off him and vice-versa. One of the things I've thought past U.S. teams have lacked is emotion....almost as if they were afraid to show it sometimes. Reed kind of made it cool and I think his teammates fed off it, specifically guys like Phil, Fowler and Snedeker, to name a few.

On Saturday afternoon my wife and I were in the bleachers on the 11th green where Bill Murray was sitting. Of course, we waited for over two hours for groups to get to us, but Murray was leading cheers to keep everyone refreshed and when we'd find out someone made a big shot or putt. It was a blast.

As I watched the press conference on Sunday afternoon I thought the Euros handled everything with great class until it got to Rose. And to be honest, he came across as the most snarky of the Euro players all week. I think that partly had to do with him just not playing well. Then to call out the course for something they have no control over (meaning the Sunday "easy" pin placements)? Well, let's just say it didn't sound the greatest coming from the guy who played the worst of 24 players on Sunday.

So that's my report. I'm missing a ton and could probably write and write until you were all bored, but just thought I would share. For anyone who enjoys golf and has an opportunity to ever attend a Ryder Cup....jump on it. Like I said, the best sporting event I've ever, ever attended.

Reactions: denniden
dukiejay, I lost a little respect i had for Rose, but not a lot. Understandably he was upset. His side just got beat pretty badly. His rant about the easy course set up would have made a lot more sense if he had gone low on Sunday. However he didn't.

I do agree with the assessment of the European players in the press conference. I thought they were great. Except Rose. (snarky is a great way to put it with him last week) I thought Darren Clarke was exceptional in defeat. Sergio hd a funny line when asked about the crowd. He said they were a lot better Sunday but he is aware "he still hasn't won a major." I got a good laugh out of that. I like and follow many of the European players. They seem to be a good bunch of guys. They got run over by a very strong USA team though. They might be a little salty after that. Which I get.

Great report DJ, awesome to hear that. It is definitely on my bucket list to get to a Ryder Cup and my guess is that i'll get that chance when they're up at Bethpage in a what is it 2020 or 22?

Regardless, I had a few buddies there as well and they said the exact same thing- especially about the atmosphere on the first hole. They said it was the greatest sporting venue they had ever seen. The electricity was absurd.

As for the Euros- I feel like this happens every time they lose- there will be one or two guys with a few snarky comments. It happens, I actually dont even mind it because it makes it more satisfying and it adds to the allure and importance of the Cup.

I want to think that the weather wasn't luck- i think Arnie had a little to do with that! He was definitely there in spirit that whole tournament. Golf lost it's best friend last week, but he delievered yet again! From the Rainbow over Latrobe CC to today's gorgeous weather at his farewell ceremony, it was a tribute fit for a King. RIP Arnie!

Reed is the next Anthony Kim or Keegan Bradley - both were lauded after Ryder cups but never really fulfilled the promise. The weight of expectation following this type of performance is pretty heavy. Time will tell. On the crowd - started in 91...war by the shore but really ramped in 99 at Brookline...its getting out of hand. Starts on the PGA Tour with idiots screaming nonsense and "get in the hole' every shot because they are liquored up having been drinking from 7.00am. The Phoenix Open par 3 is an example of how it could be...good natured and positive...but thats due to it being individual and not the US vs EU...non partisan. The Ryder cup is an amazing event ( was at Medinah in 2012) but its getting hard to watch and see past the nonsense these days.
Maybe Paris 2018 brings it back to what it used to be - fantastic golf, great competition and passionate but sporting supporters.

Reed is the next Anthony Kim or Keegan Bradley - both were lauded after Ryder cups but never really fulfilled the promise. The weight of expectation following this type of performance is pretty heavy. Time will tell. On the crowd - started in 91...war by the shore but really ramped in 99 at Brookline...its getting out of hand. Starts on the PGA Tour with idiots screaming nonsense and "get in the hole' every shot because they are liquored up having been drinking from 7.00am. The Phoenix Open par 3 is an example of how it could be...good natured and positive...but thats due to it being individual and not the US vs EU...non partisan. The Ryder cup is an amazing event ( was at Medinah in 2012) but its getting hard to watch and see past the nonsense these days.
Maybe Paris 2018 brings it back to what it used to be - fantastic golf, great competition and passionate but sporting supporters.
Think you're in the extreme minority in your view on this. I sincerely disagree with your take on Reed. He's already had a very solid start to his career and is only 26. I understand the comparison in some parts but he did the same thing 2 years ago in the Ryder cup and continues to get better.

Think you're in the extreme minority in your view on this. I sincerely disagree with your take on Reed. He's already had a very solid start to his career and is only 26. I understand the comparison in some parts but he did the same thing 2 years ago in the Ryder cup and continues to get better.
This could be the event that catapults his career and leads to winning some majors in the next few years. Reed has a very solid and simple swing with some versatility to his game. He will probably not make a run at Jacks numbers for majors but he will have his name etched on some major victories over the next few years.

Reactions: denniden
Reed is the next Anthony Kim or Keegan Bradley - both were lauded after Ryder cups but never really fulfilled the promise.
Reed has already won 6 times on tour. Kim and Bradley don't have that combined. To win 6 times on tour in your 20's is very rare. Your comparison wouldn't have any meaning at all if Keegan hadn't won a PGA already. It is still very iffy at best.

I also disagree with you about the Ryder Cup and the way it has become an event. Not just an exhibition. It now means something in America, whereas it was only golf fans who cared in the past. Now we have people from all walks of life getting in to the action. It draws interest in the game without having to have one guy carry it like Tiger did for years. I get the traditional blah blah blah, but times change. If you do not change with them, they will pass you by.This particular Ryder Cup was awesome! I have played the game of golf in and out of competition for 33 years now. I like the values the game of golf has both taught me and stand for. That doesn't change. Integrity and honesty still rule the game.

I hope this was Reed's "welcome to prime time" moment. It is fun to watch someone play with that fire and edge.

Reactions: germantondevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT