ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
I'm always a big Ryder Cup guy, but it's a little different this year considering it's taking place only six miles from my house at Hazeltine National. I was able to attend the U.S. Open there in 1991, as well as the PGA Championship's in 2002 and 2009. I've also been fortunate to play the course a number of times over the years.

Homes in the area are being rented for up to $50K for the week, with the most common number seemingly being in that $20-$30K range. The two local public schools are both closed for the week and the only way to get to event is by bus. No one is allowed to drive a vehicle onto the grounds. On top of that, area and surrounding courses are charging over double their normal golf rates between now and October 10th.

FWIW, I will be attending Ryder Cup practice rounds on Tuesday and Wednesday and then the first round next Friday.

Some guys from my club and I had discussed making the trek from Connecticut out to Minny. However it was far too expensive for me. Not really but if I am spending that kind of money, I had better be playing 36 a day and not walking around watching golf. LOL.

Anyway, it should be interesting. Europe has some players not in top form right now. Of course that changes when the Ryder Cup comes about. I think the US team is really, really good. Top to bottom. i am hoping that Davis Love goes with Justin Thomas or Daniel Berger as the 12th man The team does not need Bubba. He is not really playing very well anyway. HAsn't had a top 10 in about 5 months.

Hoping we can put together a win this year. OFC

Some guys from my club and I had discussed making the trek from Connecticut out to Minny. However it was far too expensive for me. Not really but if I am spending that kind of money, I had better be playing 36 a day and not walking around watching golf. LOL.

Anyway, it should be interesting. Europe has some players not in top form right now. Of course that changes when the Ryder Cup comes about. I think the US team is really, really good. Top to bottom. i am hoping that Davis Love goes with Justin Thomas or Daniel Berger as the 12th man The team does not need Bubba. He is not really playing very well anyway. HAsn't had a top 10 in about 5 months.

I'm pretty much going because it's in my backyard and one of the biggest sporting events in the world. It won't be here again in my lifetime so saying I was there is kind of a cool thing. To be honest, I'd much rather sit at home and watch. That's why I won't be there on the weekend.

Hoping we can put together a win this year. OFC

Me too, skysdad. Me too.

Reactions: skysdad
I don't have a great feeling about this Ryder cup. We have a lot of young talent but so do they. We need DJ to stay hot next week and dominate the four or five matches he plays. They're deep but lucky for us Paul Casey isn't playing and henrik is injured. But as always with the Europeans they really rise when it's the Ryder cup. You'd think Ian poulter was Nick Faldo the way he performs in the Ryder cup.

I don't have a great feeling about this Ryder cup. We have a lot of young talent but so do they. We need DJ to stay hot next week and dominate the four or five matches he plays. They're deep but lucky for us Paul Casey isn't playing and henrik is injured. But as always with the Europeans they really rise when it's the Ryder cup. You'd think Ian poulter was Nick Faldo the way he performs in the Ryder cup.
IF you look at the rosters, the US has a decided advantage. Both in world rankings and current form. Of course the Europeans view this as their super bowl and always play above their pay grade. So there is always that factor. The US is also very much a veteran team. The only guy who will not have played in a Ryder Cup is Brooks Koepka. (unless Davis Love does the right thing and takes a young guy instead of Bubba for the 12th man) Golf is a funny sport though. The #150 player in the world can beat the #1 player, and it really wouldn't surprise anyone that follows the game.

I'll do my best. :p
Haha.

Den that's my point- Ryder cup brings out the absolute best in the Euros. Yes we have a "veteran" team but only two of our guys have ever experienced it on a winning team. While you can argue that makes them hungrier, it could make the euros just that much more confident.

I love the Ryder Cup and the usual drama it provides but they seem to get up more for the cup than the Americans do. I saw a link a few years ago about the American players and where they played in college and the Euros the same. I was astonished that only one of the major Euro guys even attended college. Point here being that the Euros likely had a tougher road to becoming a professional than the Americans early on and maybe have more to gain in playing well. Yes, it is their Super Bowl.

Lets hope for better coaching and more unity...The Tom Watson-led team was riddled with dissension....

OFC

Johnny Miller came out and said this was the worst team Europe has had- no need to provide them with bulletin board material Johnny.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I was a the Miracle at Medinha 2012 - with a slightly different rooting interest ( check my user name) If you have a chance to go - go! Its an amazing event - we were there Saturday/Sunday and the swings in emotions were unforgettable - I'm fortunate to have attended many events, World cups, Olympics, PGA champs, NCAA etc - and this is my #1 memory!

As far as teams - probably very even since match play isnt about 4 rounds of consistency - more like 4 holes of brilliance or fortune...very unpredictable and rankings mean nothing! The tension is unbelievable and some of these players will have never experienced anything like it.

The one thing i think has changed is the atmosphere - after Brookline its become extremely partisan and not always in a good way - some alcohol fueled comments and actions unbecoming the sport and event have crept in the last 4 or 5 events - lets hope it stays civil!

Its always fun so hoping for a close one - my friends brother is carrying the scoreboard for the last twosome on Sunday so hope it goes down to the wire!!

I will be disappointed if the USA can't rally around the death of Arnold Palmer and win this won on American soil...

I am glad that Davis Love didn't succumb to the pressure of taking Bubba for the team. Good pick in Ryan Moore. A guy who makes putts!!! Which is what it is all about. Bubba is flashy and can get hot, but he has been playing poorly for a while now. It is bad enough that Ricky Fowler got the good old boys network pick and left of more deserving guys at the moment in Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger (for example) Not that I have anything against Ricky, he just is not playing well. The treason for the more picks and later picks was to get guys on the team that are in good form. Ricky didn't make the tour championship. Oh well, what do I know? I think it is time to get new blood in there and get these young kids a chance. I also believe it is time to Make Fred Couples the all time coach for any international event. LOL.

I am glad that Davis Love didn't succumb to the pressure of taking Bubba for the team. Good pick in Ryan Moore. A guy who makes putts!!! Which is what it is all about. Bubba is flashy and can get hot, but he has been playing poorly for a while now. It is bad enough that Ricky Fowler got the good old boys network pick and left of more deserving guys at the moment in Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger (for example) Not that I have anything against Ricky, he just is not playing well. The treason for the more picks and later picks was to get guys on the team that are in good form. Ricky didn't make the tour championship. Oh well, what do I know? I think it is time to get new blood in there and get these young kids a chance. I also believe it is time to Make Fred Couples the all time coach for any international event. LOL.

Plus think about it...the idea of UNC GRAD Davis Love taking any guy named "Bubba."

OFC

Reactions: dukiejay
Absolutely agree with every point. I was saying that i hope Love takes Moore because of how clutch he was all day yesterday playing with Rory. Guy shot 64 as well and came up CLUTCH with a lot of huge putts. Thats the kind of grit and grind we need on this team.

Kind of a letdown after the great start this morning. I've been there this week Tuesday, Wednesday and today. Back in the morning bright and early....have to be out of the house by 5am.

Kind of a letdown after the great start this morning. I've been there this week Tuesday, Wednesday and today. Back in the morning bright and early....have to be out of the house by 5am.
Have a couple buddies there and they said it was the best sports venue they've ever been too on the first tee. Definitely a rough afternoon but if you told me we would be up 5-3 after day one, I would have taken it and ran.

How did it start. 4-0 right. Yes it was a let down. Wish the U.S. had kept the pace. But remember it's the U.S. against all of Europe right. Still we need to win this thing. Keep the pairings right and hope we get 3 or 4 hot players going.

I should have gotten a lot more done today, but I couldn't stop watching Patrick Reed. He was really fun to watch in the afternoon session.

I watched every second of the Ryder Cup. (DVR is a wonderful thing) and I loved every minute of it! Right down to the Europeans complaining about everything the USA has complained about after getting their butts whipped recntly. A few things I take from this Ryder Cup,

1. Patrick Reed is a beast. He was not afraid to let the Euros what was going on. For so many years the Americans have been somewhat emotional, but never really brazen like guys like Sergio and Poulter and others have been towards the US players. Good on Reed and it spread to other guys.

2. The crowd was amazing. I love that the European players were more worried about the crowd as opposed to the GREAT American golf going on. Of course they complained about being heckled, but they have short term memories in this regard. The European crowds are not exactly warm and friendly to the US players and their wives. The Belfry a few years back was bad for Americans. It is part of what the event has become. IF you do not like it, don't play in it.

3. Some of the European players seem to not realize how the event works. Justin Rose for example. He complained about the pins being "pro-am" pins. Well Justin, the captain of the home team sets the conditions. It is the same when your captain has set up the European courses to set up for their team. Also if the pins were so easy, why is it that you shot 1 under. Highest score of anyone playing Sunday. You would think if it was so easy, you might not be the worst player in the field that day. Europe can set up the course however they want in Paris in two years. This week was DL 3's turn. What is he going to do? Set up the course to favor the European players? LOL, come on Justin, you are better than that!

4. Phil Mickelson gets some vindication. I am not a huge Phil guy, but he sure looks to be right about needing changes with how the Ryder Cup team is governed.

Great win for team USA!

I saw Rose's comments about the pin placement. As you said, he would not have beaten a single American player with his score, so it is some pretty obvious sour grapes.

As good as the Reed/McIlroy match was (and it was great - the Reed finger wag will be played in Ryder Cup highlight packages for decades), the Mickelson/Garcia match was just as compelling. Phil had 10 birdies and no bogeys, and that only got him a half!

But Reed was the story. For a guy that has never finished in the top ten at a major, this seemed like his "star turn" a little bit. I still don't think he is going to become what guys like Spieth, Day, and McIlroy are on most Sundays. He seems more like Garcia and Poulter, in that he will be at his absolute best in an event like this, where emotional intensity can be a huge asset. You don't see any finger wagging at the Masters.

Reactions: denniden
McElroy is a great player no doubt, but its nice to see him on the losing end...Some of his comments before the Olympics this year were quite irresponsible.

OFC

McElroy is a great player no doubt, but its nice to see him on the losing end...Some of his comments before the Olympics this year were quite irresponsible.

OFC
I have never really liked Rory. I still do not. He was great this weekend and the last month though. When he is on, there is nobody better in the world IMO. However his dream of being Tiger or Jack is not going to happen. He disappears for far too long with mediocre play and the competition is getting better and better all the time.

But Reed was the story. For a guy that has never finished in the top ten at a major, this seemed like his "star turn" a little bit. I still don't think he is going to become what guys like Spieth, Day, and McIlroy are on most Sundays. He seems more like Garcia and Poulter, in that he will be at his absolute best in an event like this, where emotional intensity can be a huge asset. You don't see any finger wagging at the Masters.
You won't see any finger wagging at the MAsters either. Thankfully. However fo an exibition like this, it is pretty cool.

I also beg to differ on Reed and his career arc. IMO he will be there for years and win a few majors. Keep in mind he is 24 years old. Hardly a dinosaur. He has all the tool to get it done too. Decent length and accurate. He putts the eyeballs out of it and his short game off the green is as good as anyone IMO. (the stats bare that out) He has already won 5 times on tour too. Poulter is nothing more than a fashion guy who happened to play well in a few Ryder Cups. Outside of that, Reed has already surpassed him in career accomplishments and is 10-15 years younger.

Gentlemen's game was tossed out the window for Patrick and Rory this weekend along with several others, but it was different watching Golf with that much emotion and in your face attitude. Rory was over the top with the fans, especially on Sunday. Wow. I know that the fans were giving him a hard time but he spent himself emotionally after he went ballistic with the "I CANT HERE YOU" reaction after the long putt, but it was entertaining and a change. Team USA better buckle on there big boy pants in 2 years when they go back over the pond. It will be rough for that team as far as fan interaction goes. They just need to ignore them and play golf,,if that's possible.

Gentlemen's game was tossed out the window for Patrick and Rory this weekend along with several others, but it was different watching Golf with that much emotion and in your face attitude. Rory was over the top with the fans, especially on Sunday. Wow. I know that the fans were giving him a hard time but he spent himself emotionally after he went ballistic with the "I CANT HERE YOU" reaction after the long putt, but it was entertaining and a change. Team USA better buckle on there big boy pants in 2 years when they go back over the pond. It will be rough for that team as far as fan interaction goes. They just need to ignore them and play golf,,if that's possible.
Team USA deals with it as well. It may not be as loud but it is there. From what I understand from some friends in the golf industry, it is not very cordial either. Tiger has endured it since the beginning of his career in Europe. Especially when he was going through his divorce. The Europeans come off as a little whiny here. Which some fo them are. I thought Darren Clarke handled it very well. Sticking up for his players (as he should) but also remembering where he was and the type of even that it is. I am sure the Americans are going to welcome a hostile environment in Paris.

I though Rory showing the emotion was awesome. I though Reed giving it right back was awesome. This type of crowd behavior happens once every 2 years. I think the game will not lose it's etiquette mantra because of 3 days. I am a golf purist, bu this is good for golf. These guys are ll friends off the course. Some of the Europeans actually live near their American counterparts, in this country. It is all in good fun.

I also beg to differ on Reed and his career arc. IMO he will be there for years and win a few majors. Keep in mind he is 24 years old. Hardly a dinosaur. He has all the tool to get it done too. Decent length and accurate. He putts the eyeballs out of it and his short game off the green is as good as anyone IMO. (the stats bare that out) He has already won 5 times on tour too. Poulter is nothing more than a fashion guy who happened to play well in a few Ryder Cups. Outside of that, Reed has already surpassed him in career accomplishments and is 10-15 years younger.

I hope you are right, because he is fun to watch when he gets it going. You probably know more about this than I do, but I was largely unaware of his past until reading about it this weekend. I remember the "I'm a top five player" comments a few years ago, before he had really done much of note on tour, but I didn't know his collegiate journey. Evidently he is universally loathed by his former teammates and coaches at multiple stops. He was thrown off the team at Georgia for persistent attitude problems. I don't think any of that really means anything as far as his future potential, it was just interesting.

I hope you are right, because he is fun to watch when he gets it going. You probably know more about this than I do, but I was largely unaware of his past until reading about it this weekend. I remember the "I'm a top five player" comments a few years ago, before he had really done much of note on tour, but I didn't know his collegiate journey. Evidently he is universally loathed by his former teammates and coaches at multiple stops. He was thrown off the team at Georgia for persistent attitude problems. I don't think any of that really means anything as far as his future potential, it was just interesting.
Yup, Reed had his issues with people prior to getting to Augusta St. He was very arrogant. Still is. However his arrogance has played a major part in who he is right now as a golfer. Top 10 in the world and still very young. This kid has a very high ceiling and he isn't afraid to go after it with complete arrogance. Which I think is a good thing for athletes when you can back it up. Ask Rory about that. He found out.

That was a fantastic Ryder Cup. So many up's and down's- Reed just became a bonafide superstar in the game of golf. You'll be watchng that Rory/Reed match for many years to come. Really proud of the way we came out on sunday. That was some of the best golf watching i've done in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT