ADVERTISEMENT

Reid Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Duke has something else up their sleeve. I’m beginning to think this because I can’t understand why they didn’t pursue Travis a lot harder.

I think Duke has something else up their sleeve. I’m beginning to think this because I can’t understand why they didn’t pursue Travis a lot harder.

We don't need another offensive minded player who is likely to be, at best, mediocre. The only thing we could really stand to add is another rim protector in the short term, and a multi year shooter in the long term (every team could stand to add 2-3 of those per year).

Travis is a fine player. But he doesn't add anything to Duke next year. He might, ostensibly be a "better" player than either Bolden or Javin (not that I agree with that, but theoretically it is "possible"). But Bolden AND Javin are both better fits with the rest of Duke's roster.

Reactions: lkc1234
Dunks are cool though, and normally swing the momentum much stronger than a lay-up would.
Zion has 1.5 million instagram followers, Reid Travis has 3 thousand followers, lol. I know some don't care, but can we all at least enjoy Duke being the "cool" program?
Well said.

Just my personal, honest opinion but Zion is not Dukes best player. He's a 6'5" 270lb athlete. I think he will be exposed at the next level. Cam and RJ are much better, and will be stars in college and the NBA. But I just think Zion is out of position. He will have some nice dunks for sure but I think he ends up like Hamidou Diallo/UK....explosive athlete on the break, and just good other than that.

Just my personal, honest opinion but Zion is not Dukes best player. He's a 6'5" 270lb athlete. I think he will be exposed at the next level. Cam and RJ are much better, and will be stars in college and the NBA. But I just think Zion is out of position. He will have some nice dunks for sure but I think he ends up like Hamidou Diallo/UK....explosive athlete on the break, and just good other than that.

I agree with a lot said here. The ball will be in Jones, Barrett, and reddish’s hands mostly (especially in half court) Zion will get touches from them making plays, committing to rebounding, and fast break mostly. Also if his shot develops, he could get some open threes.

I agree with a lot said here. The ball will be in Jones, Barrett, and reddish’s hands mostly (especially in half court) Zion will get touches from them making plays, committing to rebounding, and fast break mostly. Also if his shot develops, he could get some open threes.

Hence the reason Zion chose Duke. I think he wanted to play on a roster where he wouldn't face a constant double team. He's a rim runner, to be sure. Most college PFs can't stay in front of him, and a lot of college C's won't stand strong when he's barreling down on them.
UK had too many bigs, and would have had too clogged a lane for Zion to attack. Clemson didn't have enough roster help, as they're likely to feature at least 1 guy on the roster that opposing coaches would just abandon in favor of doubling Zion. I legit think Zion's "heart" was at Clemson, but he wisely decided play at a program where he cannot, and will not, be double teamed. He'll have 1-2 good dunks per game, a few more garbage baskets, and will likely shoot a high percentage of WIDE open jumpers (albeit very few attempts per game). If he'll rebound and play D, teams will see in him a rich man's Draymond Green. And despite anyone's feelings about Green's on court demeanor or dirty play or whining, EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the NBA would love to have him on their roster.

For those who think he’s not athletic. Check out the highlights where he drop stepped dunked on players for KU and UNC. I knew he was had athleticism but didn’t realize he could poster guys with ease

For those who think he’s not athletic. Check out the highlights where he drop stepped dunked on players for KU and UNC. I knew he was had athleticism but didn’t realize he could poster guys with ease
He's not athletic, can barely jump over a sheet of paper.
Duke is athletic.

I don't know how Bonzi Colson got thrown into this, I'm just happy we never have to see him again. Beating him in the ACC tourney this year (knocked them out of tourney contention) was pretty sweet.

If we battle Reid Travis in November, I'm confident Zion will get the best of him. And I'm willing to bet he didn't see too many defenders like Javin in the "soft" Pac-12.

I can't wait to read about how Zion can't shoot when colleges show how you defend a guy like him. It will happen.

Reactions: pharm727
Hence the reason Zion chose Duke. I think he wanted to play on a roster where he wouldn't face a constant double team. He's a rim runner, to be sure. Most college PFs can't stay in front of him, and a lot of college C's won't stand strong when he's barreling down on them.
UK had too many bigs, and would have had too clogged a lane for Zion to attack. Clemson didn't have enough roster help, as they're likely to feature at least 1 guy on the roster that opposing coaches would just abandon in favor of doubling Zion. I legit think Zion's "heart" was at Clemson, but he wisely decided play at a program where he cannot, and will not, be double teamed. He'll have 1-2 good dunks per game, a few more garbage baskets, and will likely shoot a high percentage of WIDE open jumpers (albeit very few attempts per game). If he'll rebound and play D, teams will see in him a rich man's Draymond Green. And despite anyone's feelings about Green's on court demeanor or dirty play or whining, EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the NBA would love to have him on their roster.

At this point until proven otherwise he woukd ne a poor man's Draymond Green, not the other way around. I hate Draymond, but Zion has a ton of hype to live up to, all those IG and Tweeter followers will jump off a bridge if he struggles.

Dang Jwill, these Kentucky boys are riled up at you. For the life of me, I don't know why this would be (cough, cough).

Dang Jwill, these Kentucky boys are riled up at you. For the life of me, I don't know why this would be (cough, cough).
Because I don't spend all my time bashing our own players?

Because I don't spend all my time bashing our own players?
Who have I bashed? Because I've been critical of Bagley fitting Duke, yet have praised how gifted offensively around the basket he is?
What about our bet? You interested, or scared?

Who have I bashed? Because I've been critical of Bagley fitting Duke, yet have praised how gifted offensively around the basket he is?
What about our bet? You interested, or scared?
I'll take the bet.

But you gotta do either 1 of 2 things...
1. Go root for UNC. Why not?? They have everything you are looking for. Established veterans. A boring upperclassmen who "worked his way to the top." A 2017 national title (we all know it's title or bust for you). And most importantly, they don't really recruit selfish OAD's who care more about their draft stock than the name on the front of the jersey.

or

2. Stop posting until the OAD goes away, probably 2021 from what I read. Because honestly, Duke basketball for the next few years is gonna look A LOT like last years team, or A LOT like this year's team for the next few years. And I think most posters here would enjoy not reading 999999 different ways of saying "we are too young, we won't win anything, all we have is selfish young guys."

1 or 2?

I'd say I'll venmo you my wager amount, but I'm guessing you don't know what venmo is.

Reactions: tw3301
I'll take the bet.

But you gotta do either 1 of 2 things...
1. Go root for UNC. Why not?? They have everything you are looking for. Established veterans. A boring upperclassmen who "worked his way to the top." A 2017 national title (we all know it's title or bust for you). And most importantly, they don't really recruit selfish OAD's who care more about their draft stock than the name on the front of the jersey.

or

2. Stop posting until the OAD goes away, probably 2021 from what I read. Because honestly, Duke basketball for the next few years is gonna look A LOT like last years team, or A LOT like this year's team for the next few years. And I think most posters here would enjoy not reading 999999 different ways of saying "we are too young, we won't win anything, all we have is selfish young guys."

1 or 2?

I'd say I'll venmo you my wager amount, but I'm guessing you don't know what venmo is.
I've never loved anything about Carolina. Remember grasshopper, I live in NC. Never have I said I don't like taking one and done's. You won't find it nowhere. So stop fishing, and stop with these inaccurate statements. You said we would lose no more than a couple games, I disagree. It's simple grasshopper, yes or no on the bet. If you lose the bet, sell one of your Lebron jersey's to pay me if you need to.

You made a prediction, I offered a bet, and now you come with crazy stipulations. The one thing you're correct on is I didn't know what venmo is, but if that's the way you wish to settle this, I'll figure it out. I would pay if I lost.
Personally, I would prefer a certified check.

Honestly, it sounds like you're scared. You could just admit you got too carried away with your prediction, but I know you won't admit it. I think you're back pedaling.

Last edited:
Jesus Mac. Step back and look at a large sampling of your posts. You’re terrible man. Please, stop. I mean , you made dukehokie curse today, never seen that happen and we’ve had some doozies here. What are you so wound up about?

Reactions: tw3301 and GAAP
And why do you constantly remind us you live in North Carolina? Does that give you some special powers or something? And the grasshopper thing? Are you Kung fu ?

Jesus Mac. Step back and look at a large sampling of your posts. You’re terrible man. Please, stop. I mean , you made dukehokie curse today, never seen that happen and we’ve had some doozies here. What are you so wound up about?
Show, what have I said to Hokie that was so bad? Really. I've explained that to you. You were fine, I thought. Go back and read the posters comments about our young kids. Several said things as facts, not what they hope. There is a big difference. What if I said Redish is as good as Grant Hill? What if I said I hope he's as good as Grant Hill? Which one sounds better? That's all I initially said.
But Jwill is an entirely different poster. He thinks he's the smartest one on the board, makes crazy predictions, talks like our kids can do no wrong, we're going to dominate draft night..."Barrett will be the best player in the country from start to finish." Do you not think that's premature? It will be great if he is, and I hope Redish, Zion, and Jones are really good too.
The above gets me going, especially after our last two seasons. Can't you at least concede that?

Find anything from mine that says I despise the one and done, or I didn't like Bagley, but yet I get accused of being a Bagley hater. Yes I have a different opinion on him relating to the team, but I've never doubted how talented he is.
You don't see me debating others. I never debated you until I said what I thought our team coming up would do, which bothered you, and you said something to me. But when I suggest tempering our expectations just a wee bit, I get hammered. Never did I say Redish, Barrett, Jones or Zion would struggle. Never.
If our last two years had ended differently, this hype wouldn't be so bad to read. Does this help you at all?

And why do you constantly remind us you live in North Carolina? Does that give you some special powers or something? And the grasshopper thing? Are you Kung fu ?
If someone lives in this state, around all the Hole fans Show, and they are at least 40 years old, they know what it's like being around these guys. I've explained that, and if you live here, you should understand. For years, Duke chased the Holes. They were the superior team. Dean was the legend, K was the new guy. Their arrogance was overwhelming, and they let you know you weren't as good as them. For the most part, they got the better athletes than Duke did, and they let you know that too.
As a Duke fan, you felt like the little brother. Until 91. Then the tide started to shift. You never forget what it's like living around them, and the young fans don't have a clue about that, and that's not their fault. They see Duke as the cool, hip team now. So now when I hear Duke fans brag before anything has been done, my mind flashes back to the Hole fans from the 80's and 90's bragging about their talent compared to Duke's. I try to stay grounded, yet it may come across as negative. That's not what is intended.
Kind of like your grandpa that saved his pennies because he remembers what it was like being poor.

Haha, I’m over 40. I was born here. I know EXACTLY what the hole fans are like. No need for explanation on that. And I think Jwill is very smart on the game. So are you, and hokie, dj, timo, denniden, dukefaninky, hell the list goes on forever. If you feel challenged for the top spot of knowing more about Duke basketball than anybody else on the board, not only is that silly, but I assure you , you’re not him. There’s some incredibly connected fellas that frequent this board. Hell Mr. Sumner probably FORGOT more about Duke basketball than you and I will ever know. Honestly, Just let your guard down a bit man, we’re gonna be fine brother.

Haha, I’m over 40. I was born here. I know EXACTLY what the hole fans are like. No need for explanation on that. And I think Jwill is very smart on the game. So are you, and hokie, dj, timo, denniden, dukefaninky, hell the list goes on forever. If you feel challenged for the top spot of knowing more about Duke basketball than anybody else on the board, not only is that silly, but I assure you , you’re not him. There’s some incredibly connected fellas that frequent this board. Hell Mr. Sumner probably FORGOT more about Duke basketball than you and I will ever know. Honestly, Just let your guard down a bit man, we’re gonna be fine brother.
You lost me with this post of yours.
Nothing I said had any intention of coming across as me being a guru.
Really Show, are you serious with this response?
I mean this Show. Have a good night, and I want Duke to be as good as you do. But I'll wait a while before I say how good we are. We can be good. I'll also go on record and say I don't care if we beat Kentucky. It's all for nothing if we aren't peaking come mid January. No trophies that mean anything are given in November.

We can be good.

I miss Mr. Sumner's post. I do think there's a reason he's not coming around. Perhaps we are becoming a little like thr and he just wants to stay away. OFC

Reactions: tw3301 and dukiejay

I agree...he's not our best player....and that should make opposing fanbases nervous.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
I don't know how Bonzi Colson got thrown into this, I'm just happy we never have to see him again. Beating him in the ACC tourney this year (knocked them out of tourney contention) was pretty sweet.

If we battle Reid Travis in November, I'm confident Zion will get the best of him. And I'm willing to bet he didn't see too many defenders like Javin in the "soft" Pac-12.
He put up 20 and 10 on Ayton, who, at 4-5 inches taller, put up 9 and 8. Ayton isn't that bad of a defender, I'm pretty sure he was at least decent on that side, he was also pretty decent on offense too, but I'd say Ayton was an above average at best offensive player who was a decent defender. Nothing more, nothing less. We can all agree Ayton ain't no Zion, Zion's game is leaps and bounds better than Ayton's on both sides in every aspect of the game. I mean Zion had what, a million blocks last season in an ultra competitive SC hoops scene? Zion has seen great competition at the HS level, competition that would make Travis poop his pants 7 days a week. Comparatively speaking though, Travis hasn't seen anywhere close to the competition Zion has. It'll be a long time coming before Travis has seen the competition Zion has. Nor has he ever went up against the quality of player as Zion.

Last edited:
I agree...he's not our best player....and that should make opposing fanbases nervous.
Right? Zion is a monster man, a 6'5 4 man who just gonna straight up punk these 6'9 forwards who have been there, done that. Can't wait to see Zion jump over Reid Travis, who honestly in his wildest dreams will never be as strong as Zion, regardless of how many opposing players have called Travis the strongest player they've gone up against. Zion will have his way with Travis no doubt, see what Ayton did to Travis? Made him his lil beatch, I imagine Zion puts up 10 times the numbers Ayton did on Travis. This Duke team is terrifying. Terrifyingly young, but terrifying at the same time. 40-0!

You think Zion will shoot a high percentage on his wide open jumpers? Welllllll. I'm going to heavily disagree with that.

You think Zion will shoot a high percentage on his wide open jumpers? Welllllll. I'm going to heavily disagree with that.

I don't mean "open" jumpers they way we'd consider a jumper to be "open" if it was taken by a quality shooter. In Zion's case, I expect many defenders and coaches to leave him completely wide open, in much the same way that Duval was essentially unguarded at the three point stripe last year. They'll have to lay off of Zion because the floor is likely to be more spread than it was last year, thus the opposing PF will be hesitant to get up on Zion (closely guarding Z on the perimeter is likely to result in SC top 10 Dunks and possible inclusion on his draft night). I think Zion is a better shooter than Tre was last year, at least coming in. I think Zion will have 5+ feet of space in which to load up and shoot, at least 2-3 times a game. He'll take other shots, where he's less open, and make a fairly low percentage of them. But I think he'll get 2+ wide open, essentially unguarded, shots per game. And I expect him to make a fairly high percentage of those completely unguarded shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT