ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Originally posted by Crank_it_loud:
Chase, Marshall, or Swanigan would start over Obi.
I don't believe so. Chase and Swanigan are both still in high school and Marshall has really stepped up this year but he just isn't a starter. It's just not going to happen with the other three (as well as Jefferson) in front of him. Swanigan could be really good, but he's not Okafor good I don't believe. I actually really love Jeter's game, but he still has work to do for sure.

I still think it's imperative for us to sign Brandon Ingram and Caleb Swanigan to round out this class. Kennard is a really good guard/wing who can stretch the floor. If Tyus Jones doesn't come back, Kennard will probably be our point guard. Either way he will be sliding into either Tyus's or Justise's starting spot. Ingram gives us some much needed depth at the three if Tyus isn't back. If Tyus is back then Ingram will still be one of the first guys off the bench with Grayson. I think Jeter can be really special, but I don't think he's the immediate impact guy like Okafor/Justise/Tyus this year. Could he grab more than a few rebounds a game and also have an impact on offense? Of course. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Coming back to my first thought though, Obi averaged a double double last year. He's had an entire year against Okafor and Plumlee in practice and a year in the weight room. There's no doubt in my mind he will have a huge impact next season. If Marshall has seen the results first hand of playing against Okafor and Obi in practice all season, then Obi will be more polished as well. Obi isn't as athletic as Marshall but Marshall isn't as polished as Obi by any means.

Obi is a starter from day one. Period. In the same way that Hood was a starter. Obi is a rebounding machine with bulk.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Lol obi isn't starting at the 5, but keep telling yourself that. I guess jefferson loses/doesn't re-gain the 4? Chase and Swanigan are far more polished than Sean offensively, even with his year at Duke. He's a great kid, a great rebounder, and he'll get plenty of reserve PT. I just don't see him starting at the 5.

Using Hood as a benchmark for Obi is wayyyyy off. Rodney was extremely versatile offensively and couldn't be held off of the floor, even with him being a defensive liability. Sean isn't anywhere near Rodney's offensive level, and defensively he's average, being a strong rebounder.

This post was edited on 3/27 7:31 PM by Crank_it_loud

No chance Obi would ever start over Swanigan!

Are you serious? Have you seen the difference in talent?

I can't see M. Jones starting over either, Grayson or Luke. I personally think his offensive game is really bad. He never drives hard to the basket, but rather usually throws up a one handed floater. Jmo

Originally posted by LetsGoDukies:
Ingram said he would probably have committed to UNC in the fall had it not been for the NCAA investigation. I still have a gut feeling they will get him.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dgjXa
That tells me UNC is probably out of it. He's trying to throw them a bone. It's a weird thing to say if UNC was still in the lead. I think he cares #1 about playing time. He is not waiting for the NCAA investigation to conclude (its the NCAA after all). He is waiting for people to start declaring for the NBA. Like Winslow.

Originally posted by Showenuff:
I bet, by mid season, Grayson will all but demand a starting position and he's going to be really great. His extremely shy demeanor has held him back this season but he's beginning to come out of his shell. When that kid has full confidence...OMG.
I hope you are right about him and Kennard. Frankly, it seems like if they are both clicking then the 2 of them could outscore most teams by themselves. A lineup with both of them in it could be fun to watch. You're making me very optimistic.

This post was edited on 3/31 1:43 PM by dbav

Seriously though, does anyone know the plan for recruiting (2015)? I don't have an insider account so I don't know if I can even ask this but what if Tyus leaves and we don't get Ingram or Swanigan; what other offers are out there? I mean, that would literally leave us with 7 scholarship players for next season and (Robinson). That seems like a nightmare scenario to me. Any injuries (especially at guard) would spell for a very long season.

The Tyus Jones situation will be an interesting experiment. By my count there are about 4 teams that really need a PG (Knicks, Bucks, Rockets, Lakers) and I really don't know if Tyus is better than Calderon, MCW, Beverly, or Lin). On top of that a few of these will take Mudiay,Russell, Wright, or Grant. The odds are if he does go in the first round it will be a playoff team who really doesn't want his salary. Is Tyus really better than Ennis, Nolan, or CJ McCollum. I'm sure he wants to go I just don't know if the end result will be best for his long term prospects.

Originally posted by Devilicious:

I heard something about this kid named Kennard playing PG. Hope we get'em !
I'm not sue I buy Luke Kennard playing PG...
Well old buddy, I'm waiting to hear the reasons why you can't? He has great handles, he's tall and getting taller and can shoot the ever loving $#!+ out of the ball.
Where did you see these great handles? I'm assuming YouTube or HoopMixTape. I'm just not sold on him playing PG. I'd think we'd see Grayson at that position before Luke.

Originally posted by LastWaltz:
The Tyus Jones situation will be an interesting experiment. By my count there are about 4 teams that really need a PG (Knicks, Bucks, Rockets, Lakers) and I really don't know if Tyus is better than Calderon, MCW, Beverly, or Lin). On top of that a few of these will take Mudiay,Russell, Wright, or Grant. The odds are if he does go in the first round it will be a playoff team who really doesn't want his salary. Is Tyus really better than Ennis, Nolan, or CJ McCollum. I'm sure he wants to go I just don't know if the end result will be best for his long term prospects.
Why compare Tyus to any NBA pg? Not fair to the kid.

I do know this, folks in Chicago wanted Billy Garrett Jr to go to an ACC school and Duke was on the radar, because it was know rumor(possibly fact) Jones was leaving. But now with Leitao taking the coaching spot, and Garrett Sr. staying on the staff, he will stay at DePaul.

I don't see Tyus coming back. I did six weeks ago, but I've heard some rumblings within his circle that lead me to believe he's going out like he came in....with Justise and Jahlil.

Duke is looking at options and in 10 days we will know a lot more. I will guarantee we will not be going into the 2015-16 season with only seven or eight scholarship players. They will look at graduate transfers able to step in and play right away. Plus, the staff feels very good with their chances in regards to both Ingram and Swanigan.

Well Licious, maybe our coaching staff is dumb, but I know for a fact they have been discussing this very thing if Tyus pulls the trigger and Thornton doesn't reclassify.

I am fairly certain they will go over all options at the point when all the dust settles. Allen and Kennard included. I am also sure that if Thornton decides not to reclassify or go elsewhere, Duke will look at transfer types to fill that void too. A lot is up in the air right now and nothing is going to be done until the season ends for Duke.

interesting commentary on tyus. a lot of guards that would be ahead of him in the draft. it will be interesting to see what he decides.

i would think his drafts stock would improve with another year - but always tough to tell.

Right now ever draft stock I've seen has had Justise at 5 and Tyus has been anywhere from 25-40

Originally posted by madrussian:
interesting commentary on tyus. a lot of guards that would be ahead of him in the draft. it will be interesting to see what he decides.

i would think his drafts stock would improve with another year - but always tough to tell.
Hard to say here. He is unlikely to have as much talent around him. A run in the tournament could raise his stock higher then it will ever be.

I don't know tthe position Kennard will play at Duke but he will play lots as a freshman. Flyin To The Hoop tourney is one of the two top high school or prep tourneys in the USA held in Kettering Oh. annually. I have watched all the top teams since it started, and no one has impressed me more than Kennard. Granted, being a Duke fan I am biased, but my friends, not Duke fans agree, Luke is a rare talent.

My buddy at work watched him at the classic in Myrtle Beach. He said " My God please tell me that kid ain't going to Duke." I said yep! He said dude, he is filthy ! (He's a UNC fan)

My buddy at work watched him at the classic in Myrtle Beach. He said " My God please tell me that kid ain't going to Duke." I said yep! He said dude, he is filthy ! (He's a UNC fan)
Maybe all the Cameron Crazies should be bring bars of soap to the games, because he's so dirty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT