ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Feb 11, 2009
Hey everyone! Just wanted to see what word is on our freshman leaving early. We all know Okafor is gone but what is the feeling on tyus and justice? ? I'm hoping they both come back. We don't have another PG coming in on this class so not sure where we would turn at that positon if tyus does leave. Also what other recruits do we have a real shot at adding to the class. Thanks

I have thought a lot about Duke's situation for next year if all three decide to leave. With what we have coming back and the two guys coming in that would leave us with 7 scholarship players for next year. Not sure how good the Robertson kid is that going to be a walk on. I feel sure K has a plan. OFC

VerbalCommits still has us in it with Thon Maker for next year. Is there any hope there?

Besides that I've heard outside shot at Ingram, and Thornton possibly reclassifying and coming to Duke. Swanigan is also an outside shot. Then of course there's the versatile transfer from DePaul, and the fact that Tyus and Justise haven't decided anything.

Lots going on it seems. We'll know nothing until after we hang a 5th banner.

The only one I could possibly see coming back is Tyus and that is because he seems to be consistently placed in the late first round on mock drafts....Justise and Jah are gone, it's as simple as that.

Thon Maker? That came out of nowhere, so i'd say there is a 0% chance there.

Ingram & Caleb we're legit players for.

Obviously any 1 year transfers, I don't expect Thornton to reclass.

I heard something about this kid named Kennard playing PG. Hope we get'em !

Originally posted by Showenuff:
I'm not sue I buy Luke Kennard playing PG...

Originally posted by timo0402:
Thon Maker? That came out of nowhere, so i'd say there is a 0% chance there.

Ingram & Caleb we're legit players for.

Obviously any 1 year transfers, I don't expect Thornton to reclass.
Not really out of nowhere, as we did offer the guy and he has reclassified. I'm reading that it's a UK and Kansas battle, and I haven't seen where he has visited or talked with K, so I guess we're not on his radar.

Zero chance on Maker. I'd say it's 50/50 with Ingram, and I actually think we're in the lead for Swanigan.

Enjoy the freshman while you can. Okafor and Winslow are making the jump. Okafor is a top two pick and Winslow will be in the lottery. The word I heard on Tyus --- from the same person feeding me info during his recruitment --- is that he is also likely to go to the NBA. And that news I actually heard just two days ago.

We're going to be very active when the season ends...but hopefully that's another two weeks out. Right now the staff is concentrating on the NCAAT, so info on recruiting is minimal because there just isn't anything to report.

Really hope it doesn't come down to Luke playing PG for us next year, not at all good position for us to be in. Don't mistake what I'm saying as Luke isn't going to be good, because I think he'll be great.

All I know is Coach K can take any collection of talented personnel and figure out a way to make it a winning team. So whoever is bringing the ball up will know what he is doing. Plus, it's easier to make a good passing tall guy into a point man than it is to make Kyle Singler a center.

Originally posted by Devilicious:

Well old buddy, I'm waiting to hear the reasons why you can't? He has great handles, he's tall and getting taller and can shoot the ever loving $#!+ out of the ball.

Well old buddy, I'm waiting to hear the reasons why you can't? He has great handles, he's tall and getting taller and can shoot the ever loving $#!+ out of the ball.
Reminds me of another PG - who wasn't the prototypical PG - we had a few years back. I think he's on the staff now or something.

Originally posted by Mpm277:

Reminds me of another PG - who wasn't the prototypical PG - we had a few years back. I think he's on the staff now or something.
I agree it does sound like him, but that guy had 3 years in the system before he was forced into service.

^^^Others have had the same wishful thinking, but I've yet to hear any particular player mentioned. Stepping in for one year as the point guard for Duke would seem to be a very tall order. Also, consider that Coach K has never done such a thing and, in fact, you can count the number of transfers to Duke in any class on one hand....maybe it's two now, I'm not sure. So. I'd say the probability is somewhere around zero. Just my opinion.
OFC

As long as Kennard is on the court I don't care what position he plays. Kennard and Allen good combo.

Allen at pg before like IMO but both on the court is what I want so I really don't care which it is! That's all if Tyus leaves of course.. I personally think it's crazy for him to leave but as jay and others have said before it sounds like he might

Dukedenver: You have to admit there is a difference between Tyus and Kyrie and some grad student no one knows about. Right?
OFC

Originally posted by Willcampbell:
Dukedenver: You have to admit there is a difference between Tyus and Kyrie and some grad student no one knows about. Right?
OFC
All I know is, Greg Paulus revolutionized the QB position as a grad student.

It's time we got serious about John Riek.
smile.r191677.gif
OFC

Read on another team's site that Brown is choosing a school April 1st. Any truth to this rumor?

Ultimately I believe Tyus returns. PG is stacked in the NBA meaning Jones will sit and/or play in the D-League.

It is a tough position for him because next years team won't have the upside this one did so his stock might not be as high after the season if teams focus on stopping him.

I'm not sure he will get a guaranteed 1st round pick and that will be the deciding factor

I like Grayson at the PG spot next season if Tyus leaves. This would be a pretty good starting five with exception of the lack of guard depth:

Allen
Kennard
Jones
Jefferson
Obi

Reserves: Jeter, Plumlee, Robinson, & any new recruits that may sign for 2015.

Originally posted by btmblue:
I like Grayson at the PG spot next season if Tyus leaves. This would be a pretty good starting five with exception of the lack of guard depth:

Allen
Kennard
Jones
Jefferson
Obi

Reserves: Jeter, Plumlee, Robinson, & any new recruits that may sign for 2015.
I have a feeling Plumthree or Jeter starts over Obi.

^^^ Me too. I think Plums starts unless he implodes (which I am NOT predicting). But Jeter gets major minutes as well, both at the 5 and the 4.
OFC

I feee safe saying this years recruiting class is not finished but with that saying I think our lineup next season including only the known parts will be:

PG: Kennard
SG: Allen
SF: M Jones
PF: Jefferson
C: Plumlee

No one playing the center position will get any more than about 15-18 minutes each.

If Swanigan comes to Duke and I think he will.....

He will get okafor minutes, count on that!

I think that ultimately Tyus Jones will come back for his sophomore season. I think Luke Kennard will slide into the three where Winslow left off. That leaves Matt Jones at the two with a very capable backup in Grayson Allen to spell both of the Jones boys. I hope we get Swanigan, but at this point we are starting to get a logjam down there in the paint (I never thought that would be something I would say about a Duke team).

1. PG 5 Tyus Jones (Sophomore)
2. SG 13 Matt Jones (Junior)
3. SF Luke Kennard (Freshman)
4. PF 21 Amile Jefferson (Senior)
5. C 34 Sean Obi (Redshirt Sophomore)

6. PG/SG 3 Grayson Allen (Sophomore)
7. C Caleb Swanigan (Freshman)
8. PF/C 40 Marshall Plumlee (Redshirt Senior)
9. PF/C Chase Jeter (Freshman)
10. SF Brandon Ingram (Freshman)

Wow that more of a logjam than I expected. All of the sudden Ingram is the tenth man. That's a really long and athletic group though. Plumlee has taken steps, but I still think he would be the high energy guy off the bench. Ingram would exclusively back up Kennard and Jones at the three. It's hard for me to think that Jefferson would come out of the game much. But the pitch here to me would be "come in and play spot minutes for one season and once Marshall and Amile graduate we'll have starting spots available". The following year you would have a rotation of Obi/Swanigan/Jeter/Ingram at the four and the five, and that 2016 is lacking post men so this actually makes perfect sense. 2016 has a bunch of guards/wings that we are high on. The only returning starters would be Matt Jones, Luke Kennard, and Sean Obi. That's ideal for us to sign one of those top guys like Smith and Tatum to jump in right where others left off.

I bet, by mid season, Grayson will all but demand a starting position and he's going to be really great. His extremely shy demeanor has held him back this season but he's beginning to come out of his shell. When that kid has full confidence...OMG.

If you think Kennard, a non top 15 recruit, who hasn't played a day of college basketball is going to start over Grayson Allen, you're crazy. Coming out of high school, Grayson was ranked about where Kennard is and it took him a few months, Rasheed getting kicked off the team, and Semi transferring to see the floor. I understand we won't have as good of a team next year but still, Coach doesn't just give unproven guys a starting spot over guys (who are probably just as good if not better) who have experience.

I expect a line up of Grayson, Matt, Tyus (should he come back), Amile, and Marshall

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT