ADVERTISEMENT

Predicting the 2022 Roster

Duke will be lucky to keep Griffin if he continues to play like this. Duke may want to recruit another wing player and a transfer that plays the post.

Duke already has two sf in Mitchell and Whitehead. One can play sg/sf and one can play sf/pf. Griffin was never going to stay I think that’s why they pursued both of them.

Ya its pretty clear Mark, Paolo, Keels, Moore, and AJ are all gone after this year. I wouldnt spend any time thinking they maybe coming back.

Mark , although I know he’s gone. Probably needs to bulk up for another year. His defense is what will get him drafted .

Reactions: skysdad
I agree he could probably improve his stock by getting bigger and stronger, but would he get big minutes along side Flip and Lively? Even if he started I don't think he would be able to play enough to raise his stock a lot. That said, I would love it if he did

Mark , although I know he’s gone. Probably needs to bulk up for another year. His defense is what will get him drafted .
Although I agree he may not be a first rounder. Another year a Duke would do wonders but like you said he is gone. OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Im sure Flup will be a nice player someday, but it seems like he will come off the bench in year one.

A top 10 recruit coming off the bench? That would be new. Who do you think is going to beat him out, Mitchell?

Flip is not coming here to be a 6th man unless Paolo stays 😂😂😂😂. We can all dream can't we? Mitchell and Whitehead both too small to be PF.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Agreed. But I do think Mitchell has the size to play the 4 if he can come in around 6'8 225+. We have had a lot of success with guys like Tatum, Winslow, Parker, etc (last night Griffin) at the 4, but he's probably not on the level of those guys. And Flip will almost certainly start.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Flip and Lively will have to prove they can play at this level. Both are ranked high because of their upside in development. Williams if he was to return would beat out both and Flip don’t care about coming off the bench . He believes in helping coach Scheyer and would do what it took . Mitchell can easily play pf .

Flip is not coming here to be a 6th man unless Paolo stays 😂😂😂😂. We can all dream can't we? Mitchell and Whitehead both too small to be PF.
Mitchell is the ideal pf in today’s game and flip would do what ever is asked of him to help the team.

Im sure Flup will be a nice player someday, but it seems like he will come off the bench in year one.
Flip isn’t coming off the bench but I don’t think he would mind if he did this kid believes in the coaching staff and he cares about Duke.

We'll see. Like I said before, Let's get through this year and win #6 then they will can leave

If all leave that we think will, no way flip comes off the bench. Rivals says he is a legit candidate for #1 overall. We will be extra young next year, but have 4 legit top 10 type of talents.

Maybe I'm being over optimistic here, but Wendell just strikes me as a kid that will stay all four years. He is just a duke type of kid who when we recruited him, said getting a degree for after basketball was top of the list. Would be awesome.

Last edited:
We'll see. Like I said before, Let's get through this year and win #6 then they will can leave
Duke isn’t winning number six unless they improve in offensive rebounding and play a full forty minutes . Their lack of shooting and rebounding will catch up with them not only in the tourney but conference play as well. Wendell and Roach are the only two I see returning and Moore is wishful thinking .

Reactions: christophero
Blakes may leave if he barely
plays again this year. We can't expect guys to be THAT patient.

Last edited:
Blakes may leave if he barely
plays again this year. We can't expect guys to be THAT patient.
I actually see Blake’s as a player seeing his body needs to catch up with the college level. He has all the tools but needs to put them together. His length and size are great for defense but he needs to blend that in with his offense.

Duke isn’t winning number six unless they improve in offensive rebounding and play a full forty minutes . Their lack of shooting and rebounding will catch up with them not only in the tourney but conference play as well. Wendell and Roach are the only two I see returning and Moore is wishful thinking .
I agree but I was being partially sarcastic and partially dreaming

I've officially jumped on the AJ bandwagon. This guy could be really special. And no way in hell he comes back next year. :) If he becomes a 17ppg scorer, and he is trending that way quickly, we will be tough to beat.

I'll take 12ppg from Griffin. I think that's good enough to win us a national championship, barring injuries.

12 pts a game from AJ, with the potential to go off for 20+ any given game and the ability to step up ala Keels vs UK when Moote and Paolo went out is exactly what we need from AJ.

Too hard to really say about the roster. All that is really known are the committed 2022 class. In reality Duke could have no returning players to 4-5.

The number of wing players we are recruiting tells me that just Roach will be back. But you never know. I'd rather have a junior Roach than have that PG reclass and start 5 freshman. I guess we could start both in the backcourt, as Foster is tall, although skinny. Best case scenario I'd prefer Keels or Moore back.

Last edited:
I hope for one surprise return out of AJ, Keels and Wendell, more likely either Keels or AJ. I expect Roach back as a Wendell type Jr. and I doubt Joey sticks around as this just "feels" like his last go around.

I expect at least 2 decent transfers, not as starters but perhaps as first people off the bench, especially big guys.

If griffins returns I’ll eat crow( still think he’s on the first round by ACC tourney time. I don’t think keels has anything he won’t look at and say he can improve it in the league. Moore is the guy I think surprises but the one thing against him for the 2023 draft will be all the people declaring that will reclass to 2022 .

Maybe we can get Coleman and Brakefield to transfer back. Seriously a Coleman/Theo type is perfect.

Maybe we can get Coleman and Brakefield to transfer back. Seriously a Coleman/Theo type is perfect.
No . If they didn’t want to be here then this team won’t need them now. Need people like Johns and Bates who wanted to come .

Reactions: timritterus
That was a joke ha.
Yeah I know Chris. I just wanted my opinion to be known.
I think Flip is the Key to 2022. Not even from a talent stand point more as a leader. In all his interviews he believes in Duke, the coaching staff and the players . If it is a junior and four starting freshman. They will need it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT