Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Marques sitting on the bench the whole time and Giles sitting too much

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • No ability or desire to stop drives to the basket

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • All of the above PLUS!

Votes: 40 54.8%

• Total voters
The reason why we lost was simple -- Syracuse scored more then we did.

Now along with that underlying fact:
1. Shot selection was poor.
2. Grayson seems to fall into an instant funk when he doesn't come out hot. Refs seem to tag him for stupid fouls.
3. Tatum seems to get a little freaked when the pressure is on and he has the ball at the top of the key. There were at least a few times when he made some weird/wild passes.
4. Getting the ball inside to Amile and Giles seemed effective when they passed it down low. Don't know why they didn't pursue that more.
5. Give it up to Syracuse. They needed the win. They wanted the win. Seemed like there was some sort of grand narrative that we were conforming to.

The loss does not rest of the shoulders of any one guy. BTW -- Grayson has hit more key shots then missed them.

Reactions: Mac9192
The 2nd half was the killer as Cuse shot 70.8% (80.0% from 3). Our defense can't give up those kinds of numbers regardless of who is on the floor. They did hit some tough shots but we gave them a lot too.

That last possession was pretty bad.

We weren't going to get the last shot. Charles Barkley made a good observation today about that - why milk the clock when you won't get the last shot? With 39 seconds left, what you want to do is work your offense and get as quality a shot as possible - even if it's only 8-9-10 seconds in. Then the pressure is on them to try to tie. And if they do, or if they get a 3 and go up 1, then you get the last shot.

Just a comparison between the two schools here, that's all. If Duke and Tar Holes wanted you, and you were a post player, which school would you choose between the 2?
Duke! Holy shit, is that a real question? I would choose Elon before uncheat.

I think the only problem I have is Coach K's comments about "human nature" after the game. Paraphrasing he said Cuse "wanted it more," because they're not assured of getting in the tourney, whereas "we're already in."

I understand his premise, it makes sense, but I still think you're playing for quite a bit on the line. Your national seeding, conference regular season and certainty of of one of the top 4 byes in conf. tourney. Plus you are repping the Duke hoops brand on natl tv in a hugely promoted matchup. I hope we come out ready to start a new streak Saturday, regardless of fact "we're already in."

OFC

I think the only problem I have is Coach K's comments about "human nature" after the game. Paraphrasing he said Cuse "wanted it more," because they're not assured of getting in the tourney, whereas "we're already in."

I understand his premise, it makes sense, but I still think you're playing for quite a bit on the line. Your national seeding, conference regular season and certainty of of one of the top 4 byes in conf. tourney. Plus you are repping the Duke hoops brand on natl tv in a hugely promoted matchup. I hope we come out ready to start a new streak Saturday, regardless of fact "we're already in."

OFC
I think he was talking more to his team through those comments than he was to the media.

It's been seven years since Duke won the regular season crown in the ACC.

It is what it is next game.

If these kids are only looking forward to the big Tourney I hope they don't plan on loosing the rest of the season that would be horrible seeing as how they are already in the tourney

I think he was talking more to his team through those comments than he was to the media.

Still it sounded like somewhat of an alibi for the loss, and hopefully we won't hear it anymore....Miami will expect to win Saturday, after having us down at half in Durham..

OFC

It was coach-speak. Like when he said Clemson was our best win.

Lol, I remember D-jay, very good!!! I guess we will see the ultimate diagnosis Saturday. Coach K's record is staggering, not to mention his record coming off losses!

OFC

I just think all of us are sometimes guilty of taking everything these coaches say literally....and that's whether it's Coach K or Roy. A lot of times there's motivational messages in their text for their team.

I just think all of us are sometimes guilty of taking everything these coaches say literally....and that's whether it's Coach K or Roy. A lot of times there's motivational messages in their text for their team.

Perhaps so, perhaps not .....Thats what makes for great debate. I know I don't want to see K's same comments if we lose to Miami. That would mean his "message" to the players after Cuse probably didnt payoff...

OFC

Lets just keep it real... this is one of the worst coaching jobs Coach K has done as far as adjustments that I've seen. It just looks like he can't figure it out. He's so stuck on small ball that he doesn't realize that in the long term we won't win playing the championship with a small lineup. For us, small ball may be good as far as offense but on defense it's not going to work. Jayson Tatum is playing really good at the 4 but he's not Justise Winslow. The reason the 2015 team was so successful is because JW was an ELITE defender on the perimeter and post. His offense was just a bonus. We had THREE great defenders in 2015 (cook, jones, and winslow) and jahlil was a big body that you just couldn't get what you wanted easy. This year Coach K is trying to make Jayson into a 4 but that's not his strength because he can't guard the paint. When teams do pick-and-rolls it takes Amile away (who's not a shot blocker) and it makes layups easier for the opposing team. If you're going to go small that tweener needs to be like a Draymond. He can switch pick and rolls and be a great help side defender.

I think we should go back to the traditional lineup like he originally visioned. For some reason they gave up on that lineup QUICK. Our best moments of play has come while playing the traditional lineup. That Miami second half was easily the most impressive half we've played all year. I don't understand why Bolden rides the bench so much. The hell with what he does in practice. He's definitely not that bad if Coach puts him in the game at times. Let him get his feet wet. If he give up one basket coach is ready to pull him out and that's bull. He does that with both Giles and Bolden. How do you expect them to excel if their so nervous thinking that you'll pull them with any little mistake they make. I don't know what Coach K is expecting but if you keep recruiting one and dones you will have to let them play and make mistakes to get better. Eventually big men will stop coming to Duke and we will turn into the Houston Rockets which won't get us a championship. Even the Warriors start a more traditional lineup and then go small in crunch time. This 6-1/2 man rotation is just ridiculous. That's why we can't hold leads.

Lets just keep it real... this is one of the worst coaching jobs Coach K has done as far as adjustments that I've seen. It just looks like he can't figure it out. He's so stuck on small ball that he doesn't realize that in the long term we won't win playing the championship with a small lineup. For us, small ball may be good as far as offense but on defense it's not going to work. Jayson Tatum is playing really good at the 4 but he's not Justise Winslow. The reason the 2015 team was so successful is because JW was an ELITE defender on the perimeter and post. His offense was just a bonus. We had THREE great defenders in 2015 (cook, jones, and winslow) and jahlil was a big body that you just couldn't get what you wanted easy. This year Coach K is trying to make Jayson into a 4 but that's not his strength because he can't guard the paint. When teams do pick-and-rolls it takes Amile away (who's not a shot blocker) and it makes layups easier for the opposing team. If you're going to go small that tweener needs to be like a Draymond. He can switch pick and rolls and be a great help side defender.

I think we should go back to the traditional lineup like he originally visioned. For some reason they gave up on that lineup QUICK. Our best moments of play has come while playing the traditional lineup. That Miami second half was easily the most impressive half we've played all year. I don't understand why Bolden rides the bench so much. The hell with what he does in practice. He's definitely not that bad if Coach puts him in the game at times. Let him get his feet wet. If he give up one basket coach is ready to pull him out and that's bull. He does that with both Giles and Bolden. How do you expect them to excel if their so nervous thinking that you'll pull them with any little mistake they make. I don't know what Coach K is expecting but if you keep recruiting one and dones you will have to let them play and make mistakes to get better. Eventually big men will stop coming to Duke and we will turn into the Houston Rockets which won't get us a championship. Even the Warriors start a more traditional lineup and then go small in crunch time. This 6-1/2 man rotation is just ridiculous. That's why we can't hold leads.
If you have something to say man, just say it! For God sake, quit holding back

We had THREE great defenders in 2015 (cook, jones, and winslow) and jahlil was a big body that you just couldn't get what you wanted easy.

Tyus and Quinn weren't great defenders. I'd say average. Defense was actually Tyus's biggest, maybe lone, weakness.

People forget the 2015 team was a mess defensively until mid-to-late February. In fact, we hovered around 100 pretty much all season on defensive efficiency by kenpom, before making a pretty dramatic jump during our tournament. A lot of posters here didn't think that team could win the title for that very reason. I think of all the national champions since kenpom came out with his statistics, the worst was the 2009 UNC team....and they were like mid-20s.

Reactions: Mac9192
Tyus and Quinn weren't great defenders. I'd say average. Defense was actually Tyus's biggest, maybe lone, weakness.

People forget the 2015 team was a mess defensively until mid-to-late February. In fact, we hovered around 100 pretty much all season on defensive efficiency by kenpom, before making a pretty dramatic jump during our tournament. A lot of posters here didn't think that team could win the title for that very reason. I think of all the national champions since kenpom came out with his statistics, the worst was the 2009 UNC team....and they were like mid-20s.
The turning point in 15 was the blowout loss to Miami and Laranaga's comments afterwards that "we knew we could attack Duke because of how they play defense." The very next game was Louisville, and K had the team play zone the entire game, and they wore Louisville out. That was the beginning of the teams improvement defensively. Cook was a senior and was never known as a defensive stopper, but I remember him being called that during NCAA tournament. Grayson is the key in my opinion to get things turned around like we all want to see.

In fact, we hovered around 100 pretty much all season on defensive efficiency by kenpom, before making a pretty dramatic jump during our tournament.
This is the main reason I am holding out hope for this year's team. As bad as we are on defense right now, I'm pretty sure we are ahead of where the 2015 team was at the same point. If I remember correctly, the 2015 team was in the 60's on KenPom going into the tourney but they ended up 12th when it was said and done. This team is at 48 now so maybe just maybe we can make that same jump in defense this year.

Yep, small ball is why we lost to UNX two weeks ago. Oh, we won that game didn't we? I just don't remember Jahlil being that great defender you remember. As far as the one and done big man, Coach K and Capel will keep working their magic. I sure wish we could get you on Coach K's staff or at least his phone number.

matt jones. and i bet on that team to win in my pool before the tourney. when you have a dominant big man you always have a chance.

Yep, small ball is why we lost to UNX two weeks ago. Oh, we won that game didn't we? I just don't remember Jahlil being that great defender you remember. As far as the one and done big man, Coach K and Capel will keep working their magic. I sure wish we could get you on Coach K's staff or at least his phone number.

small ball and small rotation won't work with this roster in the tournament. They weren't built that way. He built this roster traditionally. Giles and Bolden will have to play and be effective for this team to win. I hope they win because I have a stack on them winning the championship. I expect Duke to beat that approaching basic school down the street at least once. It wasn't a big deal to me at all. But thanks for coming on here. Make sure you share the word with your grandfather, Coach K. You have to be related to him or something because you get so defensive when someone disagrees with him

I just don't understand what this thread has become. What an ungrateful bunch of Duke fans we've become . Sometimes I wonder if the Duke basketball program ever went into a spiral and have the kind of teams between Vic Bubas and Bill Foster what this board would look like. Maybe we need some positive vibs out there. Seems like all of us know how to coach this team. We probably would be undefeated if Coach K would just read this board if it wouldn't confuse him so much. I'm first to admit that I don't understand all the x's and o's of the game. If I were coaching we would be horrible but I do know one thing if I were coaching and that is not worrying about the nike black uni's because we would have never worn them even one time. Screw nike. Sometimes no matter what Coach K's strategy is the players have to execute. I don't know what goes on in practice. I don't know what goes on the bench. I don't know squat about what's going on but I do know that if it weren't for Coach K a lot of you would not be Duke fans which I am grateful for and I doubt a lot of you would not be posting here but you all know pretty much how I feel. Sometimes I just need to repeat things and get it out of my system. OFC

I just don't understand what this thread has become. What an ungrateful bunch of Duke fans we've become . Sometimes I wonder if the Duke basketball program ever went into a spiral and have the kind of teams between Vic Bubas and Bill Foster what this board would look like. Maybe we need some positive vibs out there. Seems like all of us know how to coach this team. We probably would be undefeated if Coach K would just read this board if it wouldn't confuse him so much. I'm first to admit that I don't understand all the x's and o's of the game. If I were coaching we would be horrible but I do know one thing if I were coaching and that is not worrying about the nike black uni's because we would have never worn them even one time. Screw nike. Sometimes no matter what Coach K's strategy is the players have to execute. I don't know what goes on in practice. I don't know what goes on the bench. I don't know squat about what's going on but I do know that if it weren't for Coach K a lot of you would not be Duke fans which I am grateful for and I doubt a lot of you would not be posting here but you all know pretty much how I feel. Sometimes I just need to repeat things and get it out of my system. OFC
Well said Sky. I love he's our coach even if I would like to see different things from time to time. I'm an armchair coach, love my team but like you said I too don't understand all the X's and O's either.

small ball and small rotation won't work with this roster in the tournament. They weren't built that way. He built this roster traditionally. Giles and Bolden will have to play and be effective for this team to win. I hope they win because I have a stack on them winning the championship. I expect Duke to beat that approaching basic school down the street at least once. It wasn't a big deal to me at all. But thanks for coming on here. Make sure you share the word with your grandfather, Coach K. You have to be related to him or something because you get so defensive when someone disagrees with him

It's not about you disagreeing with him, it's how you come across that you know exactly what this team needs. You state that it's one of the worst coaching jobs he's done as far as making adjustments. It looks like he can't figure out what to do, small ball won't win a championship.

Good grief, he's had to deal with the most disruptive season I've ever seen. Injuries, Grayson's distraction, and back surgery has set this team back. We finally establish an identity and now you want to switch to a traditional lineup. I just think you need to get a grip and see what the final outcome is with this team. Yeah K is human and makes mistakes, but he still knows a helluva lot more than any poster on this forum. I scratch my head about players minutes, but I'm not at practice every day and in team meetings with the players and assistant coaches.

It's not about you disagreeing with him, it's how you come across that you know exactly what this team needs. You state that it's one of the worst coaching jobs he's done as far as making adjustments. It looks like he can't figure out what to do, small ball won't win a championship.

Good grief, he's had to deal with the most disruptive season I've ever seen. Injuries, Grayson's distraction, and back surgery has set this team back. We finally establish an identity and now you want to switch to a traditional lineup. I just think you need to get a grip and see what the final outcome is with this team. Yeah K is human and makes mistakes, but he still knows a helluva lot more than any poster on this forum. I scratch my head about players minutes, but I'm not at practice every day and in team meetings with the players and assistant coaches.

You keep talking about practice. Practice! A player can't get experience in practice. They need to play in the game and make mistakes to get better. I can care less about the in-season losses. The point is to build the team for the title. It's clear he's not looking at the big picture if he isn't developing the bench. Taking a player out after one mistake does not help that player at all

Dude....you're not smart. Give up.

Do you know what being defensive is? Me stating my opinion about why I believe something isn't working and what I think will work isn't defensive. Every time someone brings up something and a person always comes back and says "maybe you should coach since you know more than the greatest coach" is being defensive. who does that? Hahahaha

You haven't really stated your opinion. You've passed it off as fact. There's a difference.

And yes, I know Coach K knows more than you. That doesn't mean I don't think he's above reproach. It just means I have some common sense.

You haven't really stated your opinion. You've passed it off as fact. There's a difference.

And yes, I know Coach K knows more than you. That doesn't mean I don't think he's above reproach. It just means I have some common sense.

Are you and dukesince90 the same person? He's the one that continuously makes that statement. When I use words like "I think" that means it's my opinion.

Are you and dukesince90 the same person? He's the one that continuously makes that statement. When I use words like "I think" that means it's my opinion.
You have your opinion and I have mine. I'm just stating mine. It's easy to sit back and watch a 40 minute game and say what the coach needs to do. You may be right about the traditional lineup, but K has gotten away from that and has had a great amount of success. I just think it would be counterproductive to switch philosophies with 3 games left in the regular season. As far as having his back, you're exactly right. I have grown sick of seeing parents and fans in today's society questioning everything coaches do and bad mouth them. I just would like to see more support in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT