ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Tape

If Hurt comes back, we are going to see a lot of Jalen Johnson and/or Wendell Moore playing SG.. which isn’t a bad thing.. will give us a very big lineup.
This is why I'm not too concerned about having a backup C. Having Tape' is nice, but not sure it's that vital.
Reason I say that is we should be huge everywhere us. Hurt at the 4 is no slouch (if he gains weight), Jalen at the 3 is a monster, and Wendell would be a big athletic 2 guard.

Next years team is gonna play a lot of positionless basketball. Jalen can really play any position from 1-4, Wendell has a lot of flexibility too. Were gonna have a lot of options.

Reactions: hart2chesson
This is why I'm not too concerned about having a backup C. Having Tape' is nice, but not sure it's that vital.
Reason I say that is we should be huge everywhere us. Hurt at the 4 is no slouch (if he gains weight), Jalen at the 3 is a monster, and Wendell would be a big athletic 2 guard.

Next years team is gonna play a lot of positionless basketball. Jalen can really play any position from 1-4, Wendell has a lot of flexibility too. Were gonna have a lot of options.
Imagine running a lineup some with both Johnson & Moore as the guards, with Hurt at the 3, then Coleman or Brakefiled at the 4, with Williams or Tape’ at the 5..

That would be a giant lineup with nobody ‘really’ being out of position.

Last edited:
Jam knows nothing

Is it too much to ask for a Stanley, Hurt, and Big Vern second year? Mickie needs to start making some good nanner puddin. That's what is keeping all them boys over at the hole school for years and years. Wanda and ole' Roy got it licked. Well, that and Tami's....

Reactions: pisgah101
Is it too much to ask for a Stanley, Hurt, and Big Vern second year? Mickie needs to start making some good nanner puddin. That's what is keeping all them boys over at the hole school for years and years. Wanda and ole' Roy got it licked. Well, that and Tami's....

Why should Stanley and Vern stay? I agree Hurt needs to prepare himself for 4 years. Vern was ACC ROY and Stanley is 20. Move on young men.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Why should Stanley and Vern stay? I agree Hurt needs to prepare himself for 4 years. Vern was ACC ROY and Stanley is 20. Move on young men.

I was mainly trying to provide a bit of humor to the situation. Personally, I believe Vern is 100% gone. I do think Hurt and Stanley could both return and work on improving their game at the collegiate level. Plus, is Hurt on any draft boards? Stanley is rarely ever high on any of them either. 2nd round pick is all I have seen.

I don’t think this says much about Hurt staying/leaving though.. Hurt isn’t really a threat to take any real minutes from the 5 position.

Regarding Hurt, I personally think that Duke getting another center to come in, was their way of easing Hurt's concerns that he might have to play in the paint a little next year. Possibly Hurt and K talked about it and made his concerns known. Now having a back up center is Duke's way of saying, you're our stretch 4 and that's it.

Regarding Hurt, I personally think that Duke getting another center to come in, was their way of easing Hurt's concerns that he might have to play in the paint a little next year. Possibly Hurt and K talked about it and made his concerns known. Now having a back up center is Duke's way of saying, you're our stretch 4 and that's it.

I can get on board with this line of thinking. Makes sense.

Seen Stanley going to the Lakers at 29 on 2-3 sites. Got to think he will make the jump especially if he thinks he is headed for Showtime.

Seen Stanley going to the Lakers at 29 on 2-3 sites. Got to think he will make the jump especially if he thinks he is headed for Showtime.
That would actually be the Pelicans pick, which as Duke fans would be absolutely amazing if Stanley went to New Orleans. The Lakers first rounders for the next few years belong to New Orleans due to the Anthony Davis trade.

Stanley from what I've seen could be picked anywhere from 20th-50th. Super wide range.

Reactions: Duke937
If Hurt returns, I'd be surprised if he's not our leading scorer.
Interesting. I think Steward is going to be a points machine based on minutes and volume. That dude creates the contact and can get hot. There is a world where Wendell gets a better 3-ball and handle too. This all assumes Cassius is gone.

Reactions: dbav
Stanley from what I've seen could be picked anywhere from 20th-50th. Super wide range.
Having no draft combine makes it difficult to predict where Stanley goes. On one hand, he doesn't get to show off staggering vert and movement. On the other hand, if you're going off of Skype interviews and previous in-person scouting alone, how many wings can beat Stanley there? I say he goes top 25.

Reactions: jwill133
Is steward a guaranteed starter at this point? At this point Johnson and Moore (and hurt if he returns) seem to be the only ones. I hope steward is really really good but his ranking suggests he might have some adjustment time

There is no way the combo of Roach/DJ and/ or Jordan does not start. That leaves Jalen and Moore at the 3 and 4, Williams or Pat at the 5.

Joey, Coleman, and Jaemyn off the bench.

Just a guess:
Hurt 15 pts 28 minutes
Moore 12 pts. 27 minutes
Johnson 12 pts 30 minutes
Steward 11 pts 22 minutes
Roach 8 pts. 24 minutes
Williams 6 pts 16 minutes
Tape 5 pts. 15 minutes
Goldwire 5 pts 20 minutes
Baker 4 pts 8 minutes
Coleman 3 pts 5 minutes
Brakefield 3 pts 5 minutes

Just a guess:
Hurt 15 pts 28 minutes
Moore 12 pts. 27 minutes
Johnson 12 pts 30 minutes
Steward 11 pts 22 minutes
Roach 8 pts. 24 minutes
Williams 6 pts 16 minutes
Tape 5 pts. 15 minutes
Goldwire 5 pts 20 minutes
Baker 4 pts 8 minutes
Coleman 3 pts 5 minutes
Brakefield 3 pts 5 minutes

Unless Hurt will average 7 to 8 rebounds, gain 15 lbs and be the 1# option, no way he gets 28 or more minutes.

I'm many of our losses last season, Duke struggled scoring down the stretch because the extra rebound, high percentage shot and hustle play. That's not Hurts fault, but you are asking him to do a lot at a stretch 4.

Interesting. I think Steward is going to be a points machine based on minutes and volume. That dude creates the contact and can get hot. There is a world where Wendell gets a better 3-ball and handle too. This all assumes Cassius is gone.

I'm assuming Cassius leaves.

Hurt is a pure scorer. He showed flashes last season of creating on the perimeter and in the post....his problem was a lack of size and defense. My hope would be he's able to shore up both of those.

I think Steward with be a more traditional freshman....like Hurt. He's going to have games that wow you and others where he disappears. We didn't see the best version of Hurt last year because he didn't adjust well. But trust me....I watched him a lot in high school, this kid can score in all phases. He did it on the AAU circuit as well. He's very crafty.

I'm assuming Cassius leaves.

Hurt is a pure scorer. He showed flashes last season of creating on the perimeter and in the post....his problem was a lack of size and defense. My hope would be he's able to shore up both of those.

I think Steward with be a more traditional freshman....like Hurt. He's going to have games that wow you and others where he disappears. We didn't see the best version of Hurt last year because he didn't adjust well. But trust me....I watched him a lot in high school, this kid can score in all phases. He did it on the AAU circuit as well. He's very crafty.

I definitely believe in the kid's scoring, but how does Duke hide his deficiencies. Last year it was Vern's size, Tre's leadership and a deep bench.

Jordan will probably be the defacto leader, but asking Hurt to increase 9.7 ppg to possibly 16 ppg is a task.

I definitely believe in the kid's scoring, but how does Duke hide his deficiencies. Last year it was Vern's size, Tre's leadership and a deep bench.

Jordan will probably be the defacto leader, but asking Hurt to increase 9.7 ppg to possibly 16 ppg is a task.

It's certainly a jump....but he was averaging around 12 points/game until the last month of the season when his minutes and production took a drastic hit.

Someone will need to score next year. I think Matthew is set up best to do so....consistently, that is.

The one n done era has made fans less patient it appears. A jump from 10 a game to 16 from freshmen to sophomore year was and is not unusual. Plus If hurt adapted to the physicality and defense better he probably would have been around 12-14 a game

Reactions: jamsession3
Hurt was at once a top 5 recruit in the country for a reason, he has insane ability to put the ball in the basket. His touch around the basket is really good, the problem is he can't finish through contact. It would not shock me for him to make a leap and be an 18 ppg guy next year, I wouldn't bet on it though.

Next years team will be even more balanced than this year, I expect Johnson, Moore, and Hurt to all be between 12-15 ppg. I expect Steward to go for over 30 some nights and be missing some other nights.

People keeps talking about Hurt. We can afford to lose him because we have a 6'9 all around player coming in that can play that stretch 4 spot and be a mismatch nightmare and playmaker. The person that we need to be thinking about is Mark Williams. He is the key that will take us to another level. If he gives us elite defense and rebounding we will have a great season next year. I think at 7'1 he can give us 3 blocks a game in about 24 minutes. That's not far fetched. Let's say Cassius comes back...we don't even need Hurt. He wouldn't start. It would be Roach, Cassius, Wendell, Jalen, and Mark. Thats a helluva defensive lineup and I think we score plenty points in this lineup as well.

PS I don't think Cassius will come back. So slide Steward into the 2 spot. Coach K seems to LOVE that kid

The one n done era has made fans less patient it appears. A jump from 10 a game to 16 from freshmen to sophomore year was and is not unusual. Plus If hurt adapted to the physicality and defense better he probably would have been around 12-14 a game

I agree as fans we have become impatient. But I also think so have the 5 star players.

It's not unusual for a player to jump from 10 to 16. In these times, the 5 star players wants to score nothing less than 15ppg freshman year. It seems we have a few 5 stars coming in.

Last edited:
Something is up with Rivals right now. Over the weekend I did a standard update on my phone. When I do that I have always had to log back on to the site....which is no big deal. Well, I'm not able to log in on my iPhone at this time. I'm scared to log out on my PC now because I'm worried I'll be locked out altogether. It did let me log in from our family iPad and one of my kids' Kindles, so not sure why I can't on my phone.
I had the same issue with my phone for about a week couldn't log on and now I can. Don't know what happened

Hopefully Hurt comes back to work on his weaknesses. He has a big upside but really needs to put some work in to be good at next level.

Don’t know how to post it but DukeZone just posted a pic of Hurt saying, I’m backkk?

I’d wait until you hear from Duke basketball. The guy who runs the DukeZone page was hacked and was referring to himself as being back....with a picture of Matthew Hurt. It was done on purpose, obviously.

Reactions: rob5894
I’d wait until you hear from Duke basketball. The guy who runs the DukeZone page was hacked and was referring to himself as being back....with a picture of Matthew Hurt. It was done on purpose, obviously.

Sorry, didn’t see all of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hopefully Hurt comes back to work on his weaknesses. He has a big upside but really needs to put some work in to be good at next level.

I definitely hope the young man works on his game. My caution and concern is the competition he will have in practice... Coleman/Johnson/Moore/Brakefield/Pat/Williams/Joey. It will be celebrated, but he will have to earn his spot.

I think Hurt starts if he returns. He could average around 15 in 25 minutes. Put Williams or Brakefield or Coleman or Tape in for defense. If Hurt is struggling on defense he can play less. One of those guys will be squeezed out but it wont be Hurt. He's an elite scorer and should be much more consistent if he returns.

I think Hurt starts if he returns. He could average around 15 in 25 minutes. Put Williams or Brakefield or Coleman or Tape in for defense. If Hurt is struggling on defense he can play less. One of those guys will be squeezed out but it wont be Hurt. He's an elite scorer and should be much more consistent if he returns.

Fans will truly miss Vern next year. His defense one on one and weak side help was refreshing coming off Zion.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT