ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Tape

Based on measurements tape is the same height and about same weight as Brooks so where do people see he can’t match up? Also Coleman is same weight and one inch less than sharpe and Williams is taller than Kessler.

Coleman and William's are real wildcards for this team. If one of them is s pleasant surprise to go along with probable solid steadiness of Tape, this team will be very good.

Reactions: jamsession3
Personnaly, I don't see Tape starting. I would expect something along the line of Johnson-Hurt-Moore-Steward-Roach.

^^ That lineup is likely one we will see end games.. I don’t think Hurt would be returning to Duke if he’s expected to be the starting Center though.

Agreed, but I don't see him as the center. I see Johnson as more the 5.

That said, we may not always play a "center". We may play more with just 2 forwards as we've done in the past.

I just think we play Phoenix Suns 5 out, lotta spacing and slashing. Labeling Hurt a Center for the lineup card is about as far as it goes.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
Lots of moving parts here. If shooting of Johnson, Roach is better than expected, D will probably dictate the 5 spot. Even more so if Moore really improves his outside shot and Baker becomes more consistent. If our shooting is consistently weak like 18-19, Hurt at the 5 becomes much more necessary. Unfortunately, that really hurts our interior D and probably leads to foul trouble unless Hurt really improves his strength and D and Johnson can be an effective interior defender. Another question is the perimeter D of Steward and Roach. If they can ball hawk, then them plus Goldwire can maybe be disruptive enough to hide our interior weakness.

Reactions: dbav
Lots of moving parts here. If shooting of Johnson, Roach is better than expected, D will probably dictate the 5 spot. Even more so if Moore really improves his outside shot and Baker becomes more consistent. If our shooting is consistently weak like 18-19, Hurt at the 5 becomes much more necessary. Unfortunately, that really hurts our interior D and probably leads to foul trouble unless Hurt really improves his strength and D and Johnson can be an effective interior defender. Another question is the perimeter D of Steward and Roach. If they can ball hawk, then them plus Goldwire can maybe be disruptive enough to hide our interior weakness.
Moore has to make a jump in his 3pt shooting much like Tre did last season. I’m not expecting JJ Redick but enough that defenses can’t completely sag on him.

Yes, Moore improving his 3% is huge. But let's not sleep on Goldwire and Baker. Any noticeable improvement in Goldwires offensive game really makes him a key. Naker really shined at times. He also displayed hustle and toughness. A little more confidence and a better understanding of the defensive scheme should really improve his consistency. A more consistent Baker would be a really solid contributor and make us extremely versatile and very deep at the 2-3.

^^ That lineup is likely one we will see end games.. I don’t think Hurt would be returning to Duke if he’s expected to be the starting Center though.

Voice of reason...

How does it sound/look to have Hurt play the 5? And no, not the necessity traditional 5, but to perform on D as a traditional 5 is crazy!

Unless we are pressing, trapping, creating turnovers, and running like crazy. I would take that trade if I was Hurt.

Personnaly, I don't see Tape starting. I would expect something along the line of Johnson-Hurt-Moore-Steward-Roach.

Williams or Tape start at the 5. Unless Hurt gains 25lbs of muscle, keep him at the 3/4.

And I hate to say it, but if Hurt is playing the 5 on defense.. we are going to have a really rough time with the Tar Holes next year, unless we are hitting about 75% from three.

Voice of reason...

How does it sound/look to have Hurt play the 5? And no, not the necessity traditional 5, but to perform on D as a traditional 5 is crazy!

I get it, but it’s not like college basketball is oozing with traditional fives anymore.

I don’t prefer Matthew being primarily our center, and I’ll go out on a limb and say no one is even kind of suggesting that. But there could be situations where we go small and he plays as a de facto five.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
And I hate to say it, but if Hurt is playing the 5 on defense.. we are going to have a really rough time with the Tar Holes next year, unless we are hitting about 75% from three.
Yes we’d have a struggle guarding their bigs but I think they’re going to have just as hard of a time guarding our guys. If we have Johnson and Hurt at the 4/5 who of UNC bigs can guard them? None of Sharpe, Kessler, Brooks, or Bacot could guard Jalen. And i think Hurt is capable of taking all 4 of them off the dribble. I think that’s the key for next year when Duke plays UNC. Stretch the floor and play small ball and attack the rim.

Reactions: christophero
Tape could help against bigger teams. Williams and Coleman too. What about Coleman Hurt Johnson moore and Roach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT