ADVERTISEMENT

Our offense felt a bit static

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
So, can someone with more basketball knowledge educate me here...?

I felt like our offense, especially compared to the Zags, looked very static for most of the game... a lot of standing around, passing without creating space or openings, and then a drive.

I don’t know enough about the science or terminology of the game... was that the case? If so, why?

I am only a high school basketball coach but here is what I know. The 5 out offense is designed to drive and kick the ball with exchange screens happening on the weak side of the offense. If you are getting a defense that denies passing lanes then the offense must read that and back cut. In my opinion it is hard to run this in college as compared to the nba. Defenses in college can sag and have a big sit in the lane while in the nba you cannot do that. From what I have seen we have not done a great job with the drive and kick part of the offense

Don’t lnow how much knowledge I have but the Zags did a good job stopping us in transition where we have been outstanding this year.We also did not shoot the hall very well from the perimeter which allowed them to cog the middle with very athletic shot blockers.It took most of the game for our young players to adapt to this.This should prove to be a very good learning experience for us .

I thought we didn’t look comfortable at all throughout the game. Especially on Offense. Kinda similar to the Auburn game. Our talent alone made it a close game. If we can put it all together woooo

Last edited:
Zags overperformed in most categories and Duke underperformed in a few areas and Duke still had the ball with a chance to win at the end.
Duke plays their game if they meet again should be a victory.

Duke did stand around more the last two games and watch....and it wasn’t one or two guys. We also played two really good teams who were more equipped to guard us.

Reactions: ioliva
I thought we forced too many shots and or drove into traffic too early in the shot clock. This teams immense talent allows it to get away with less than ideal choices on offense so often that decision making suffers.

I think it has more to do with youth. This was a great learning experience for them. Our guys got matched, with exception of Zion, in the athletic department. Now throw in experience. Think it knocked our kids back.

RJ and Cam probably had their shots blocked more this weekend than the last 5 years.

I feel like it’s tough to teach these guys an advanced offsense and get them use to playing with each other when they’re only going to be together for 9 mos. Way too much one on one ball. Esp at the end there. With that said we still put up a high number. I think defense is a bigger issue.

We lost the game yesterday because we are a below average FT shooting team and too often take the first opportunity to score even when its a low percentage shot. The hot 1st half shooting of Zaga was just too much to overcome but the main reason we lost was poor FT shooting.

Duke did stand around more the last two games and watch....and it wasn’t one or two guys. We also played two really good teams who were more equipped to guard us.

Agreed. Plus our A/TO ratio was 0.9 - meaning more TO’s than assists. The ball didn’t move enough which is probably why it felt stagnant. Plus, bad shots aren’t calculated in that statistic. If you were to factor in the bad shots that led to fast break points which act essentially as turnovers (especially in the 1st), that ratio is even lower.

I think our offense is more of a find a mismatch and iso it type offense. It’s definitely a NBA offense. Like someone said above, it’ll be more difficult to run in college being that defenses can sag back into the lane.

Never thought I would ever say this, but we really should have shot more three pointers against Gonzaga.

Bilas had a good comment about how when there was ball reversal the percentage of success went up dramatically...but that there were too many forced plays without moving the ball..hopefully that shows on tape and we can move the ball more to find our openings

We lost the game yesterday because we are a below average FT shooting team and too often take the first opportunity to score even when its a low percentage shot. The hot 1st half shooting of Zaga was just too much to overcome but the main reason we lost was poor FT shooting.
We shot 77% vs 58% from the foul line.
I think we lost due to poor defense in the first half and not sharing the ball. When this team can get 20 plus assists a game, they will be hard to beat. I agree with the guy that said that this was a good loss because with all the media hype about how great Duke is, I have to think our players needed to come back down to earth. I'm just glad we loss to a top 5 team. We will be much better after realizing our sh$t stinks just like everyone else's.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
We shot 77% vs 58% from the foul line.
I think we lost due to poor defense in the first half and not sharing the ball. When this team can get 20 plus assists a game, they will be hard to beat. I agree with the guy that said that this was a good loss because with all the media hype about how great Duke is, I have to think our players needed to come back down to earth. I'm just glad we loss to a top 5 team. We will be much better after realizing our sh$t stinks just like everyone else's.

A lot of things went into the loss. We've got to some how get better at free throw shooting. We are going to the line a lot and need to make some. Is 75% asking too much. I on't know how much defense and free throw shooting is being taught now days to high school players but whatever it is it's not working. I've just about come to accept that incoming players have the ability to play D they just don't know how to do it. It takes a good 3 years in the system to be a fairly good defensive player but there are exceptions of course. One thing I've noticed over the last few years is our transition defense. It doesn't do a lot of good when we make a basket and get beat down the court for an easy basket. I hate giving unc credit in anything but the have one heck of a transition offense and they use it well. With all that said we just flushed UK, Beat a real good Auburn team and came within 2 points of beating a team that has loads of experience and poise. I'm looking forward to see what Coach K does with what I consider a very coach able bunch of kids. Sorry about my long post as of late. I guess one becomes long winded from both ends as one ages. OFC

We shot 77% from the line. I'm more interested in seeing FT percentages during the last 5 minutes of tight games. RJ might be at 65%, but what is he when the game is on the line?

We shot 77% from the line. I'm more interested in seeing FT percentages during the last 5 minutes of tight games. RJ might be at 65%, but what is he when the game is on the line?

You have a point a for sure we will shoot good from time to time. Doing it every game will win most games. OFC

Reactions: dukesince91
Our best scorer was 4 for 8 shooting FT's and not sure if any were one and one or not.
Ok? Gonzaga was 11-19 shooting FTs. We were 20-26. Have no idea what you watched but I’d suggest getting them coke bottles checked...thoroughly :)

Reactions: dukesince91
You can point fingers in any loss. You could say the free throws kept us in the game. I thought the 2 missed dunks were huge, especially Tre's. It's a team sport, so the loss is on everybody, including the coaches.

Didn’t think it was one of Ks finest games. And that’s coming from me, the guy that always defends pretty much everything he does! Lol but that’s (deserved) criticism. Either you can take it or you can’t. Maybe somebody should make a thread asking if we still want K ....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT