ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Journey of a French Fry, from the middle of the road, to a Tater Tot

OldasdirtDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 16, 2009
I think many posters on here know that I love animals, and take care of many cats including ferals, also any other animals that show up.
My youngest daughter is also a huge animal lover, and spends much of her time & money (her husbands also :D) helping to care for her dogs, cats, and wounded (or displaced) animals that she comes upon.

Anyway, to get to the point, she was coming over to my house on Friday to do some lawn work for me (yeah, she's a great daughter...as well as her older sister). About a 1/2 mile before she got to my house she found a small critter in the road. She didn't know what it was, but she couldn't get it to move out of the road...it wouldn't budge. She called me on her cell, and after I saw it I knew it was a baby groundhog (about 4 or 5 weeks old). The little thing was so scared (he was shaking like a leaf), and wouldn't move at all. We determined he had either wondered away from his home, or his mother was dead (more likely). So, first business in hand was to get him out of the road. We used a pet carrier, and a broom to gently nudge him into it.

Here he is in the road:
7o7H0Mf.jpg

My daughter and I have no experience in taking care of a baby groundhog, so we thought the best thing was to contact someone that does. She has contacts with several people (and groups) that
care for wildlife, and she started calling them. In a very short time, she had multiple people answering her back. All these people were coordinating with one another to determine who was the better candidate to take care of our little critter. It was determined that Ruby, at Carolina Wildlife Conservation Center, was the best choice 'cause she already had one baby groundhog and this would provide each other some companionship.

So, my daughter and her husband (head transporter:cool:) head off to take our little boy to his new home. Here he is in his carrier (an old, big carrier we use for wilder animals because it has such a wide door to help get them in and out easier) on his way to a 2nd chance:

After getting to the conservation center, here are some pictures of him with Ruby, and my daughter:

Ruby holding the baby.
i8xHcRJ.jpg

My daughter, Jennifer, rubbing our little boy's head.
qOD2e3f.jpg

A closeup of Ruby holding 'French Fry', which she named him (and yes the groundhog is a male). His roommate is going to be 'Tater Tot', another male baby groundhog!
AGSS028.jpg

He's at his new home now, and here is a video (from Jennifer's Facebook page) of French Fry (in the foreground), while Tater Tot photo bombs in the background!!

OFC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT