ADVERTISEMENT

OT concerts

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
well we are beginning the long long offseason so here’s the first IT thread.. what’s the best and most disappointing/worst concerts you’ve attended??

Best- hands down George Strait in New Orleans last yr. bucket list item and just blew me away. I saw the eagles in 2011 which was great, Kenny chesney multiple times and it’s always good and jimmy Buffett. My “wildcard” would be Cody jinks who most of y’all probably don’t know but if you like real country you’d love him.

Worst- Alan Jackson and it’s not even close. He acted like he didnt want to be there at all and went through the motions poorly

Last edited:
My best concerts are going to be all over the board: Keith Urban, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and Boys II Men.

Worst was a recent Janet Jackson concert mainly because the sound was total crap.

Reactions: pisgah101
My best, between George Jones and Hank Jr/ David Allan Coe. Runner up Ted Nugent/ .38 special. Followed by Mongomery Gentry, Travis Tritt, Alabama, Nantucket, Molly Hatchet, Firehouse, Pat Travers and John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band.

My best, between George Jones and Hank Jr/ David Allan Coe. Runner up Ted Nugent/ .38 special. Followed by Mongomery Gentry, Travis Tritt, Alabama, Nantucket, Molly Hatchet, Firehouse, Pat Travers and John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown band.
Great selection Show.
I saw 38 Special when I was in college 1985.
I went and saw them about 3 years ago and was amazed at how they performed in their 60’s. The drummer did a solo for about a solid 4 minutes.

Reactions: Showenuff
Best: Bruce Springsteen. Played for hours at Duke Indoor Stadium ( now Cameron ) . No warm up band and came back for a 30 minute encode in which they played "Devil With The Blue Dress On." Most of the songs came off his Born To Run albumn. He was pause every now and then and talk to the audeience.

Also have seen Alice Cooper twice, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull, The Doobie Brothers, Kenny Loggins, Black Oak Arkansas, The Oak Ridge Boys, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, The James Gang and Flat and Scruggs at the same concert. It was held at a Blue Grass Park and all sorts of music was there that weekend, Funny thing is Flat and Scruggs played the theme from The Beverly Hillbillies and the Martha White Flour jingle and got the biggest ovation of all.

Can't say about the worst but was disappointed in Carlos Santana. He was in his 50's and played with Rob Thomas and Gracie Maye. It wasn't that he wasn't good it was he didn't play a lot of his old stuff that made him big. OFC

I left off tritt but he was awesome! Saw hank jr last year with Skynyrd and he acted real weird lol sang half of songs and then changed all the words to the rest

AWAY!!!!! Hahahaha
yeahrightsure.gif

Best was Bruce Springsteen in Greensboro.
Best group of concerts was going to Lake Geneva to hear Fleetwood Mac on a Thursday night in late 70’s, hearing Jackson Brown on Friday at Ravina in Chicago and then Muddy Waters on Saturday at Navy Pier at Chicagofest. No date except for lots of Olympia Beer.

I actually live about 45 minutes from the Woodstock site. Sadly, I haven't gone to many concerts there, though I have seen Bob Dylan, and the Beach Boys last year.

My favorite to this day was Weezer in Raleigh when I was in college. Favorite band.

Last edited:
Best are Styx and Reo Speedwagon. Also Ted Nugent and Bad Company. Hall and Oates, 38 Special.

Worst Morris Day and Vanilla Ice

Best: Wakarusa in Lawrence in the early 2000s. It’s a hippie music festival. I didn’t care about the music, but people watching thousands of hippies that are on acid, mushrooms, and god knows what else is a lot of fun.

Worst: Forced to go see Blink 182 in the late 90s with my sister. I started asking when can we leave before the music even started.

Reactions: Mpm277
Man, been to so many. Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Styx, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Kansas, Boston were all so great. Will have to give it to the Moody Blues though as I saw them 8 times. Oh, AC/DC was right up there too.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Best - Allman Bros. @ Knoxville Worlds Fair Park '97 w/ Edwin McCain Band. - THis was a tight version of ABB before the Health and Infigiting reared up. Gregg, Dickey Betts, Allen Woody, Jamoie, Warren Haynes, Butch Trucks, and Some Derek Trucks Sprinkled in. Edwin McCain played from 6:45pm til about 7:30. Allman Bros took stage at 8:05 and PLAYED JAM STYLE UNTIL 2:15AM !! - Including 30 Min Jessica Jam, a 30+ Min In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and a Guitar head cutting Blue Sky with Dicky and Warren and a "Intermission" Drum off with Jam and Butch...Absolutely floored. I have been to over 500 shows in my time and nothing is close.

Honorable Mention - Rancid - Brewery Raleigh w/ H20 - Live @ Chameleon Club (Lancaster PA )in '94 during the Mental Jewelry days - Shelter + H20 @ 930 Club Washington DC (Old 9:30) in '95 - Fugazi, Electric Ballroom in Knoxville in '96 and At the Drive In @ (New) 9:30 Club Washington DC 2018

Worst - Smashing Pumpkins at Lolapalooza '95 blew for nickles, Steve Miller Band at PSU - Bryce Jordan was Atrocious (He didnt want to be there and it showed). Ramones at WHFStival in DC - RFK was bad (Sad to see legends wither on the vine)

I went to a couple of concerts at the NC State Fair when I was younger. The first one I can’t remember who it was because it was so long ago but I want to say that it might’ve been Charlie Daniels and the other was Terri Clark( I got to meet her after the show and got her to autograph the hat I was wearing but I didn’t take care of it like I should’ve and now the autograph is unreadable. I’ve seen Jason Michael Carroll sing a few times at my local bar (if that counts). The only other concerts that I’ve been to is to listen to my buddy Tim Cifers several times at my local bar (if that counts) but I don’t know if many people outside of North Carolina have heard of him but he’s put out a few albums.

Best was ELO. Saw them 3 times. Twice around 98 in Philly at a theater with half an orchestra behind them. Think it was the whole band minus Jeff Lynn. Smallish venue plus half orchestra really put it over the top. Saw them again in a bar near me minus Lynn and one other original member. Still great. Did a super slow version of Twist and Shout that was fantastic.

Next would be Pat Benatar. Amazing voice!

Best was ELO. Saw them 3 times. Twice around 98 in Philly at a theater with half an orchestra behind them. Think it was the whole band minus Jeff Lynn. Smallish venue plus half orchestra really put it over the top. Saw them again in a bar near me minus Lynn and one other original member. Still great. Did a super slow version of Twist and Shout that was fantastic.

Next would be Pat Benatar. Amazing voice!

Pat was on American Idol last night. She hasn't lost a thing. Sounded even better. OFC

Best - Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, U2, Rush (Power Windows Tour)

I haven’t really seen “bad” shows.

Damn I left out the first show I ever attended. Summer 1976 Doobie Brothers in Charleston,WV.

Reactions: dukehokie
Also haven’t been to many concerts. I could probably name them all here because they were all great shows:

Prince, Dave Matthews, deadmau5, Kanye West, George Benson, Yo-Yo Ma, Norah Jones, A Tribe Called Quest (club show), Dave Koz, Walter Beasley, Arturo Sandoval, Diana Krall

All were great.

As a kid growing up in the south I attended way too many country and bluegrass concerts to even start listing, haha Most of those occurred before the age of 12. Anybody out there remember the travelling bluegrass/country/gospel music festivals? They came with preaching before, during, and afterwards. Then I graduated to taking my little brother to metal concerts. None of that tickled my fancy either. It was a while before I saw a band live that I actually loved, The Killers at the Red Amphitheater in Raleigh. It was an amazing show. They played for almost two and a half hours and then came back out for a 30 min encore. This past year I had a similar experience with, Future Islands and Ed Schrader's Music Beats. Great show at the The Fillmore in Charlotte. Going to see Garbage, Heart, and hopefully the great Sir Elton John this year too.

Best U2 Pepsi Center Denver, Sting - Red Rocks - no better natural stadium in the world

Also haven’t been to many concerts. I could probably name them all here because they were all great shows:

Prince, Dave Matthews, deadmau5, Kanye West, George Benson, Yo-Yo Ma, Norah Jones, A Tribe Called Quest (club show), Dave Koz, Walter Beasley, Arturo Sandoval, Diana Krall

All were great.

How was A Tribe Called Quest? My freshmen year roommate got me into them. The only hip hop/rap album I've ever bought was the anthology.

I’m gonna go buy everyone some beer. :D

I want my money’s worth.

How was A Tribe Called Quest? My freshmen year roommate got me into them. The only hip hop/rap album I've ever bought was the anthology.

It was a club show, so they were just on for like half an hour. They did a mashup of their hits, but it was just surreal to see them when they had been broken up for so many years. This was in 2004. Not a great show per se, but an incredible experience to see my favorite artists reunite.

Reactions: dbav
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT