ADVERTISEMENT

One thing you love about THIS Duke team

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
Rebounding

I love the fact that we are an ELITE rebounding team. Now, I don’t have any stats to back me up and I know our 2010 National title team was an elite rebounding team but I’m assuming elite rebounding teams typically make deep runs in March. Hate to say it, but that baby blue team down the road has always been an elite rebounding team and since 2005, have 3 titles, 2 Runner Ups, and 6 Final Fours. Was it because of their rebounding? Who knows, but having extra opportunities to score is never a bad thing.

I like that we have a guy like Blakes. We've had quite a few guys over the years that have transferred after the first year did not go their way. Blakes was not a part of the rotation last year, and we brought in another highly rated guard. But he worked hard, and is now playing in big games and can be a leader next year.

Rebounding

I love the fact that we are an ELITE rebounding team. Now, I don’t have any stats to back me up and I know our 2010 National title team was an elite rebounding team but I’m assuming elite rebounding teams typically make deep runs in March. Hate to say it, but that baby blue team down the road has always been an elite rebounding team and since 2005, have 3 titles, 2 Runner Ups, and 6 Final Fours. Was it because of their rebounding? Who knows, but having extra opportunities to score is never a bad thing.
Much as I hate to agree Q, the Cheats have had good rebounding. So tired of hearing Bilas declare "UNC's best offense is a missed shot because of their offensive rebounding." OFC

I like that we have a guy like Blakes. We've had quite a few guys over the years that have transferred after the first year did not go their way. Blakes was not a part of the rotation last year, and we brought in another highly rated guard. But he worked hard, and is now playing in big games and can be a leader next year.
Excellent point! I like Blakes’ Bulldog mentality when he enters the game.

Hard for me to pick one. Can’t argue the point of rebounding, and free throw shooting. I’m so impressed with our ball movement. It hasn’t been common for a Duke team to pass up a potential shot for someone to take a better one. So far, this team does.

I'll go with the "team" offense we seem to be playing. There doesn't seem to be an alpha that needs 25 shots a night, and I love that. I still anticipate some head scratching losses, but I love that on any given night we have multiple guys who could step up to lead us in scoring. Flip doesn't need to score 25 for us to win.

I know, I know, the topic is "One Thing", but my second vote goes for team defense. I am not a coach or anything, but they seem to be communicating and switching very well most of the time in man to man. You've got to think we will improve as the season goes on too. Love that 1-2-2 press too!

Rebounding

Yes! And limiting the opponents opportunities is great as well. I like a lot of other things about this team as well...defense, ball movement, deep rotation.. But if I had to pick just one then it would be rebounding.

I love the switching this team does on defense. Feels like forever since we have played defense like this: guys are communicating, we switch everything, and don’t give up many easy looks. Let’s hope we continue to improve on the offensive end because I think this is a final four worthy defense.

The comment below our good free throw percentage was "sure could have used it last year" haha. Too soon.

Last edited:
I am very excited about this team because I still don’t quite know what we have yet. I am seeing these flashes of brilliance but it still feels like there is A LOT of room for growth and that’s exciting because as some have alluded, defensively this team is pretty good.

I think Tuesday will be telling. This team has been sheltered a bit. No true road games and the easiest pre Christmas schedule I can remember. We did play two top 10 teams but lost to them. Be nice to get a road ACC win under their belts. I agree that we have a high ceiling, but that mainly depends on how much the freshman improve these next few months.

Reactions: Duke Blu
My guess is not consistent minutes but situational minutes. At some point we will need shooting.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Don’t look for Schutt to be on the court unless injury . He looked good but Roach should be back by Tuesday and the team has had atleast five days of actual practice together not just game prep .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT