ADVERTISEMENT

One thing missing from our defense

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
charges.

We don't take charges the way we used to and I think this has led to our defensive efficiency numbers to look bad.

It's also great not to have to hear haters say "Duke just flops" as well.

Just an observation.

The addition of the restricted zone and officiating having a tendency to reward the offense has diminished the value in attempting to take charges. I tried to find some data on the number of charges called per game by year, but I didn't have any luck. I'm guessing it has been going down over the last decade due to some of the rule changes.

Most of our charges come in rotation situations. A guard gets into the lane, and someone else like a Shane Battier steps over and takes the charge. This year, we have bigs that we would rather have blocking/altering shots than taking charges and our guards never leave their own man to rotate so there aren't many opportunities.

I personally think 2-3 is not right for this team. Hell 2-3 has only worked for one team. You do better playing a pack line esque defense. At least the big men won’t have to follow the pick man 30 ft from the basket

Reactions: hallside
I personally think 2-3 is not right for this team. Hell 2-3 has only worked for one team. You do better playing a pack line esque defense. At least the big men won’t have to follow the pick man 30 ft from the basket

It certainly doesn’t help our rebounding. Major major problem for us is that we turn and stare at shots and never find a body

The 2-3 makes me just as nervous as man to man. Not to say we haven't played better in the 2-3, but I think in order to win it all this year we'll have to use both in stretches. It's very frustrating to see how lackadaisical they can be on defense, and even offense. It seems at times like they are just playing like it's a pick up game. Just some really strange games this year. They are like that annoying friend that turns the light switch on and off over and over again. They can't seem to just compete hard AND execute their game for 40 minutes. There has been many times this year where we just lock teams down, hands up, can hear the communication through the TV. And then there's times where everyone is on their own little island. Really simple mistakes, and very bad habits. The good thing is, these things can be changed. And, hopefully the reality of this being the last 2 months they play together will start to hit them. Because the ONLY thing between Duke and a FF appearance this year, is Duke. Talent is there. The balance is there. These guys just need to play like a Duke TEAM. Easier said than done, obviously.

It’s pretty noticeable within the first couple possessions how effective our zone will be. Example, GT looked completely flustered by it and stood around. It worked great against Miami too, completely shut them down and they just stood around the perimeter.

Exact opposite happened against UNC. Going zone was one of the big reasons we lost that game.

Reactions: Quavarius
It’s pretty noticeable within the first couple possessions how effective our zone will be. Example, GT looked completely flustered by it and stood around. It worked great against Miami too, completely shut them down and they just stood around the perimeter.

Exact opposite happened against UNC. Going zone was one of the big reasons we lost that game.

Yeah, also, our zone was the reason why we almost beat UVA. It stifled them in the second half. But UNC tore apart our zone. In the beginning of the season I thought the zone would work on all teams, but that's not the case. K has to pick his spots.

It is truly hard to watch Dike struggle on the defensive end as much as they do. The old veteran teams always brought the defense. There has been several years that we played a lot like Virginia in the sense that Dukes defense alone could win ball games simply by shutting down their opponent. I truly miss those days, but I also believe that it takes more than a few months to be able to fully understand and play the style of defense that Coach wants from his players to play. IMO it seems like its just to much to absorb for a team full of rookies to grasp along with everything else they are taught. Hopefully they grasp it over the next few weeks, because if they do,,well the rest will be history along with No.6 coming back to Durham.

The 2-3 makes me just as nervous as man to man. Not to say we haven't played better in the 2-3, but I think in order to win it all this year we'll have to use both in stretches. It's very frustrating to see how lackadaisical they can be on defense, and even offense. It seems at times like they are just playing like it's a pick up game. Just some really strange games this year. They are like that annoying friend that turns the light switch on and off over and over again. They can't seem to just compete hard AND execute their game for 40 minutes. There has been many times this year where we just lock teams down, hands up, can hear the communication through the TV. And then there's times where everyone is on their own little island. Really simple mistakes, and very bad habits. The good thing is, these things can be changed. And, hopefully the reality of this being the last 2 months they play together will start to hit them. Because the ONLY thing between Duke and a FF appearance this year, is Duke. Talent is there. The balance is there. These guys just need to play like a Duke TEAM. Easier said than done, obviously.

2-3 zone causes players to be lazy on defense. that's why it gives up a lot of rebounds along with not being attached to someone to box out. i think a matchup or 3-2 would be better especially against virginia tech. they'll eat us up with those 3s tonight if that zone.

charges.

We don't take charges the way we used to and I think this has led to our defensive efficiency numbers to look bad.

It's also great not to have to hear haters say "Duke just flops" as well.

Just an observation.
You can take the charges and I will take how Wendell protects the rim 100 times outta 100!

Reactions: Showenuff
2-3 zone causes players to be lazy on defense. that's why it gives up a lot of rebounds along with not being attached to someone to box out. i think a matchup or 3-2 would be better especially against virginia tech. they'll eat us up with those 3s tonight if that zone.

Trust the process. The 2-3 was not only run all game, but it was also so damn active and effective. Have faith. If we plan a zone D as actively and aggressively as we did tonight, in every game here on out, we’re gona be just fine.

But God Damn!!! That D tonight was down right beautiful at times. Absolutely fantastically played overall.

Trust the process. The 2-3 was not only run all game, but it was also so damn active and effective. Have faith. If we plan a zone D as actively and aggressively as we did tonight, in every game here on out, we’re gona be just fine.

We give up too many open shots in the zone. In the tournament we gon have to play man. I just can’t see a zone team winning it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT