ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Southern Indiana

Wow, really? You just want to be right about him, don’t you? I bet you’d almost be pissed if he ever had a double double.

Last time I checked, he plays for Duke.
Posted this before I realized he legitimately didn't play much in the second half. It clearly helped.

You can keep moving and not quote my posts, Mac.

Flip ended up taking over. Hot take
Well it helps when you’re playing the little sisters of the poor.
Bottom line? He played better in the second half. But I don’t think this team can be good if he stinks for half the game.

Well it helps when you’re playing the little sisters of the poor.
Bottom line? He played better in the second half. But I don’t think this team can be good if he stinks for half the game.
I dont disagree but Flip consistently does his job. He was our best player last year, and is again this year. Even on his bad days, he's the straw that stirs the drink.

Young was on the floor at the end of the first half when we closed the gap. He got 2 votes for MOTM on DBR. I certainly wouldn't go that far but he did play hard and tough today, which the team needed. Obviously, he is limited but I appreciate his effort. Him and Flip were really battling. Flip does it all the time it is easy to take it for granted. Roach played very well as well, particularly in the second half. McCain had a nice game, and Foster had some nice finishes.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Why does he continuw to dribble in the paint? Thought he would have learned from last year. OFC
Agree but I guess we just have to take the good and bad with him. That one play where he tried to start the fast break and did a behind the back dribble to the other team was classic Flip. But then he will hit a 3, and get an and 1 on consecutive offensive possessions.

Other Teams in the top 10 have been playing very tough competition and I think that will help them...we've been playing teams which don't stretch us at all ( or shouldnt..first half.)..I wish we had played a more competitive schedule over this period..take some lumps and get better. Arkansas will be very telling and a good measuring stick.
We played AZ and MSU.. not our fault they sucks. But I think we’ve hurt ourselves with this goofy blue devil challenge with the Orange County beauty school

Reactions: Mac9192
Well UCLA played Marquette and Gonzaga in a 2 day span so them. And Purdue played Tennessee, Gonzaga and Marquette in 3 days. So them too. :) And Marquette played UCLA, Kansas and Purdue in 3 days. So them as well. (I'm just messing with you but that Maui Invitational was brutal.)

I dont disagree but Flip consistently does his job. He was our best player last year, and is again this year. Even on his bad days, he's the straw that stirs the drink.
I agree Jim, but I need for Flip to figure out he's 7ft before the 2nd half. There are moments Duke does not need him to be a wing. And even more moments, Ryan may have a bad matchup and Reeve/Stewart ain't playing. He's the primary scorer, act as such.

I agree Jim, but I need for Flip to figure out he's 7ft before the 2nd half. There are moments Duke does not need him to be a wing. And even more moments, Ryan may have a bad matchup and Reeve/Stewart ain't playing. He's the primary scorer, act as such.
I certainly agree with this.

Revisit this post at end of game. Panic much?
No I watch a lot of basketball enough to know that you can’t give every team a 12 point lead and expect to come back and what does it say for Duke ranked number nine going against a 1-5 team at home and being down the entire first half ?
Duke won by 18 so i guess I didn’t panic much !!!

No I watch a lot of basketball enough to know that you can’t give every team a 12 point lead and expect to come back and what does it say for Duke ranked number nine going against a 1-5 team at home and being down the entire first half ?
Duke won by 18 so i guess I didn’t panic much !!!
No you panicked. Ever year Duke has a game like this and they have to get a wake-up call to play with more effort from the start. There was no doubt in my mind that they were going to win, and if they didn’t it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
You might want to go back and read some of your “the sky is falling” posts.

No you panicked. Ever year Duke has a game like this and they have to get a wake-up call to play with more effort from the start. There was no doubt in my mind that they were going to win, and if they didn’t it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
You might want to go back and read some of your “the sky is falling” posts.
lol never said they weren’t going to win but this was a team they should have easily put away .
What you are not realizing is the following .
Duke is still iffy from the three point line .
All you have to do is double team Flip in the post and he becomes very timid . Yes he turned it on in the second but you play a ranked D1 team he won’t be able to . Especially one with size . What you also fail to realize is a lot of the mistakes in Flip are still evident from last year , for instant dribbling in the post and spinning equals a turnover .
To say they didn’t get up at home for this game is in its self a bad look . Your home ranked number nine in the country and just got exposed by a team who was never expected to have a lead . If your saying your ok with Dukes starting lineup not being able to score or defend an inferior team then it took having to be benched to wake up , two sophomores, a senior and a freshman ( only one with an excuse ) then that’s you but games also expose a teams weakness and it’s clear it’s still physical tough nose play .

And why we are at it none of my post were doom and gloom they were all very valid points that even the commentators and analysts were bringing up .

You do realize Duke was a 36 point favorite, right ? We were the superior team coming in but during the first half you couldn’t tell a soul that .

And why we are at it none of my post were doom and gloom they were all very valid points that even the commentators and analysts were bringing up .

You do realize Duke was a 36 point favorite, right ? We were the superior team coming in but during the first half you couldn’t tell a soul that .
You’re the typical fan that probably hasn’t played a sport at a high level. I played college football and have coached high school basketball and realize that sometimes you take your opponent lightly and play down to their level. You had several posts where you were freaking out over a 1-5 team. We have lots of things to work on which is a good thing. It seems like Coach K’s teams near the end of his career peaked early. I liked how Scheyer’s first year, the team continued to grow and peaked at the right time. Yeah, we have 4 returning starters, but it still takes time to gel especially with Flip playing the five and a three guard lineup (with one being a freshman). I think we will see a much more focused team vs Arkansas.

It would have been a bad loss. You don't get a 1 seed with a loss like that. Luckily we played much better in half two. This team definitely has some red flags, but also plenty of upside and time to improve. Arkansas will be a tough game.. I know they're down but we need to play better than we have to get a W. They will be fired up to play us, as will the crowd. Good test for us. Nice to have a guy like Roach for this game.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone was happy with the team’s performance in the 1st half of the last 2 games. We are all counting on the team improving as the season goes.

I’d rather it be this way than how it was for about 5 of K’s last 7 seasons.

Sorry if I came across as an a hole.
I’ve been through some family stuff and realize that a college basketball game that I have no important role in is really not that important. Yes I always want Duke to win, but it’s just my priorities have changed and I don’t get too upset when they struggle. It’s early in the season and I think they will have it figured out in late January. I think we lose four more games, but will be happy come March.

You’re the typical fan that probably hasn’t played a sport at a high level. I played college football and have coached high school basketball and realize that sometimes you take your opponent lightly and play down to their level. You had several posts where you were freaking out over a 1-5 team. We have lots of things to work on which is a good thing. It seems like Coach K’s teams near the end of his career peaked early. I liked how Scheyer’s first year, the team continued to grow and peaked at the right time. Yeah, we have 4 returning starters, but it still takes time to gel especially with Flip playing the five and a three guard lineup (with one being a freshman). I think we will see a much more focused team vs Arkansas.
Typical fan lol . I played basketball and football . Ok there buddy you tell me how Flip is a five but can’t handle physicality? Tell me if Arkansas takes a 12 point lead will we even see you on this board ? I don’t get paid as much as the commentators or analysts but if they are thinking the same thing as me then I must be wrong . Also Scheyer’s first year ended in a first weekend exit because they played like kids . Is this not the same starting lineup minus McCain and Mitchell who was hurt ?

Typical fan lol . I played basketball and football . Ok there buddy you tell me how Flip is a five but can’t handle physicality? Tell me if Arkansas takes a 12 point lead will we even see you on this board ? I don’t get paid as much as the commentators or analysts but if they are thinking the same thing as me then I must be wrong . Also Scheyer’s first year ended in a first weekend exit because they played like kids . Is this not the same starting lineup minus McCain and Mitchell who was hurt ?
Sorry I ruffled your feathers. I didn’t realize Duke basketball was your life. Have a good night.

I don’t think anyone was happy with the team’s performance in the 1st half of the last 2 games. We are all counting on the team improving as the season goes.

I’d rather it be this way than how it was for about 5 of K’s last 7 seasons.
With exception of '22, still hard to fathom how some of those teams didn't make it to a FF.

OFC

With exception of '22, still hard to fathom how some of those teams didn't make it to a FF.

OFC

No disrespect meant here at all hart. This is just my view point.

15-16: Sweet 16 was the best we could have hoped for with this team after Jefferson broke his foot. Allen and Ingram carried the team as far as they could, they needed a 3rd scorer to help them out. Jefferson being the anchor defensively and not being on the court hurt.

16-17: the team got it going from mid February through the ACC Tournament, largely due to Tatum’s emergence and Allen along with Giles accepting their roles of being the 6th and 7th men. South Carolina did punk this Duke team, I don’t know how a 7 seed gets to play a home game in the 2nd round. This Duke team was capable of getting to the Final 4.

17-18: Allen’s shot almost went in and Carter Jr. fouled out on a phantom call. This team loses in the Elite 8 to a Kansas team who was playing ineligible players in this game. Duke wins this game, Allen’s jersey may be hanging in the rafters at Cameron Indoor. Another Final 4 worthy team.

18-19: Tre unfortunately got man handled by Winston in this game. Michigan State made more plays in crunch time. Zion should of touched the ball on every trip down the court i in crunch time. This was on Coach K. Another team which could have made the Final 4.

19-20: The team was hitting its stride in February and March. Really liked the Tre and Carey combo. Stanley was turning into the reliable 3rd scorer and Justin Robinson was emerging. They were either going to be a 2 or 3 seed in the ncaa tournament capable of making the Final 4.

20-21: Team was horrible, they did turn it on in the ACC Tournament due to the Freshmen playing better (Roach, Williams, Steward). They were not going to make the Final 4, maybe 1 win in the ncaa tournament if they had earned a bid.

21-22: Final 4

22-23: Team started clicking after getting their rears handed to them at Miami. Not having Mitchell (the most physical Duke wing defender) in the game hurt. With Mitchell playing maybe they still lose or maybe they win. This team was capable of getting to the Final 4 especially with who chaotic this region turned out.

If Grayson’s shot goes in and Coach K tells the team to let Zion go to work at the end of Michigan State, Duke may have potentially made it to back to back Final 4s in 18 and 19.

I’m in the camp, you need some luck to go your way as well to make the Final 4 in a 1 game elimination style tournament.

Reactions: jamsession2
No disrespect meant here at all hart. This is just my view point.

15-16: Sweet 16 was the best we could have hoped for with this team after Jefferson broke his foot. Allen and Ingram carried the team as far as they could, they needed a 3rd scorer to help them out. Jefferson being the anchor defensively and not being on the court hurt.

16-17: the team got it going from mid February through the ACC Tournament, largely due to Tatum’s emergence and Allen along with Giles accepting their roles of being the 6th and 7th men. South Carolina did punk this Duke team, I don’t know how a 7 seed gets to play a home game in the 2nd round. This Duke team was capable of getting to the Final 4.

17-18: Allen’s shot almost went in and Carter Jr. fouled out on a phantom call. This team loses in the Elite 8 to a Kansas team who was playing ineligible players in this game. Duke wins this game, Allen’s jersey may be hanging in the rafters at Cameron Indoor. Another Final 4 worthy team.

18-19: Tre unfortunately got man handled by Winston in this game. Michigan State made more plays in crunch time. Zion should of touched the ball on every trip down the court i in crunch time. This was on Coach K. Another team which could have made the Final 4.

19-20: The team was hitting its stride in February and March. Really liked the Tre and Carey combo. Stanley was turning into the reliable 3rd scorer and Justin Robinson was emerging. They were either going to be a 2 or 3 seed in the ncaa tournament capable of making the Final 4.

20-21: Team was horrible, they did turn it on in the ACC Tournament due to the Freshmen playing better (Roach, Williams, Steward). They were not going to make the Final 4, maybe 1 win in the ncaa tournament if they had earned a bid.

21-22: Final 4

22-23: Team started clicking after getting their rears handed to them at Miami. Not having Mitchell (the most physical Duke wing defender) in the game hurt. With Mitchell playing maybe they still lose or maybe they win. This team was capable of getting to the Final 4 especially with who chaotic this region turned out.

If Grayson’s shot goes in and Coach K tells the team to let Zion go to work at the end of Michigan State, Duke may have potentially made it to back to back Final 4s in 18 and 19.

I’m in the camp, you need some luck to go your way as well to make the Final 4 in a 1 game elimination style tournament.
Wow, well-researched and thought out. You really put a lot of time into your post. I respect it, and also agree with many of your points.

You copied my post, and note I said hard to believe "some of those teams" didn't make it to a FF. I didn't say ALL, and never was even considering a couple you recanted.

Also per Kansas having "ineligible players" on the '18 team. I must be brutally honest: I will never be convinced Marvin Bagley didn't get some "help" becoming eligible to enroll in classes at Duke. That's beside the point. Should the Kansas game have come down to Grayson's shot? No, we should have put them away SOONER in the '18 game.

'17??? Allen, Kennard, Tatum, Giles(though not 100% I know) and Amile???? Not make it out of first weekend??? Sure the environment sucked, but that team should have been FF bound. WTH happened between winning the ACC TOURNEY and Round One??

'19??? Zion, Barrett,Reddish no excuses, we were much better. Sure Tre was "manhandled," but for all the talent on the three teams mentioned, no excuses,at least ONE should have made the FF.

Again much respect for your time/consideration.
OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession2
The flip side of that is if you are up 10 you don't need luck. You go into the last minute tied, well anything can happen no matter how good you are.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Wow, well-researched and thought out. You really put a lot of time into your post. I respect it, and also agree with many of your points.

You copied my post, and note I said hard to believe "some of those teams" didn't make it to a FF. I didn't say ALL, and never was even considering a couple you recanted.

Also per Kansas having "ineligible players" on the '18 team. I must be brutally honest: I will never be convinced Marvin Bagley didn't get some "help" becoming eligible to enroll in classes at Duke. That's beside the point. Should the Kansas game have come down to Grayson's shot? No, we should have put them away SOONER in the '18 game.

'17??? Allen, Kennard, Tatum, Giles(though not 100% I know) and Amile???? Not make it out of first weekend. Sure the environment sucked, but that team should have been FF bound. WTH happened between winning the ACC TOURNEY and Round One??

'19??? Zion, Barrett,Reddish no excuses, we were much better. Sure Tre was "manhandled," but for all the talent on the three teams mentioned, no excuses,at least ONE should have made the FF.

Again much respect for your time and consideration.
OFC
What would Duke fans say if it was Cal, Roy, or Self that had the talent those seasons Duke did from 17-19, and didn’t at least get to the final four? We’d say they choked.

The 22 team that did get to the final four? Sadly, it means very little. Losing to who we did takes that pleasure away.

I think we were the best team that year, but there was too much pressure on them, due to K retiring.

The only thing missing that day at Cameron was the sign saying “Circus here.”

Reactions: KDSTONE
What would Duke fans say if it was Cal, Roy, or Self that had the talent those seasons Duke did from 17-19, and didn’t at least get to the final four? We’d say they choked.

Very much agreed @Mac9192

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT