ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Southern Indiana

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy Duke failed to make the Final 4 during the 17, 18, and 19 seasons. I agree it sucks Duke didn’t win it all in 2022, I was there for that Final 4 weekend, for me it doesn’t take away they got Coach K there. Idk, I may be in the minority here, but I consider it a success if the guys get to the Elite 8 and beyond most seasons. The NCAA Tournament is a beast with it being a one and done tournament that’s what makes it the best post season tournament in all sports imo. Teams that win the whole thing have to be Disciplined for 6 straight games.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy Duke failed to make the Final 4 during the 17, 18, and 19 seasons. I agree it sucks Duke didn’t win it all in 2022, I was there for that Final 4 weekend, for me it doesn’t take away they got Coach K there. Idk, I may be in the minority here, but I consider it a success if the guys get to the Elite 8 and beyond most seasons. The NCAA Tournament is a beast with it being a one and done tournament that’s what makes it the best post season tournament in all sports imo.
Agreed. We've had a lot of talent, but it's been mostly freshmen. Other teams have sophomores, juniors, seniors and grad transfers. Grown men with years of college experience instead of teenage frosh. Not sure why this is ignored by the critics.

Agreed. We've had a lot of talent, but it's been mostly freshmen. Other teams have sophomores, juniors, seniors and grad transfers. Grown men with years of college experience instead of teenage frosh. Not sure why this is ignored by the critics.
Excellent Analysis. This is why Theo played such a big role. Talent and 'EXPERIENCE' will lead to success.

To me the Zion year was the most disappointing. We had 2 first team all Americans, 2 more 5 stars, plus Bolden, DeLaurier, O'Connell, Goldwire, White and Robinson were experienced. Our shooting woes may have been due to the pressure on that team. No way that team should lose to Michigan State. Them's the breaks, but a tough pill to swallow.

Destroying UK by 34 in November may have been the worst thing to happen to the Zion team. I remember the next day on TV and radio the discussion was “could Duke beat some NBA teams.” We had a massive target on us from there on out.

I’m still not sure why we didn’t add a transfer experienced shooter to that team, it felt like a missing piece, and the portal was a thing then. Jack was so great early in the season and the exact opposite in the latter part. O’Connell was never the answer IMO. Reddish was our “shooter” but that wasn’t even his game.

Also had Reddish lived up to his billing, I’m not sure any of it would have mattered. We would have won the title with 4 freshman stars and a bunch of role players.

Reactions: christophero
I remember Barrett looking like a deadeye 3 point shooter in high school highlights, but highlights only show the makes. RJ and Zion had great years, but they needed help.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Idk, I may be in the minority here, but I consider it a success if the guys get to the Elite 8 and beyond most seasons.
BCG, I think you are "in the minority" where Duke is concerned. Coach K set the bar high ( very high obviously). Thus I would strongly suggest every year from DAY ONE in practice the talk is national title.

Elite Eight??? No way, gotta at least kick that door down AT DUKE, before considering it a successful season.Despite the 1st half struggles against S.Indy and Arizona loss, I guarantee Coach Scheyer has a squad he thinks will only improve (like last year), and can make it to a FF THIS SEASON.

OFC

Last edited:
It's an interesting topic; probably worthy of its own thread. Obviously no team can go to the FF every year. You'd drive yourself crazy expecting that. But for a blue blood, for me it's hard to view the season as a complete success if you lose early in the tournament. I get random nature one game and all; but comon you've got to at least get out of the first weekend. I wouldn't trade an ACC Tournament title for an early exit. The average non ACC fan won't remember our ACC title, but they all remember the Tennessee game. Sweet 16 is a good baseline for a school like Duke. Most down years for us sweet 16 would be a good goal. A year like Zion's or Bagley's are different as we were so talented. Yes we were young; but coach K chose that way after 2015 and didn't land many big transfers. For this year's team final four is a good goal or even elite 8. We could go further; but right now it just doesn't look like it with our issues at the 5. If we get taken out by an average Arkansas team I will have my doubts about how far this team can go. (Ark. has a lot of talent and experience, but they are still gelling) Something has been off so far with this team. We are very good, no doubt, but do we have that extra gear. The freshman will determine that. But we have guys back, we have Roach, so I feel pretty good about our chances over the course of the year. We've played young for a lot of this year; but we still are, relatively speaking. All you can ask for is to be a legitimate contender nearly every year, which we are. Kansas seems to be in the mix every year.

Last edited:
I'll always remember Jon winning an ACC championship in his first year. Plus, I was there so for me I think it was a successful season. Had Mark played I think we beat Tenn and win our S16 game but lose to K-State.

I'll always remember Jon winning an ACC championship in his first year.
Sound point bleed. From that perspective I consider Jon's maiden voyage a resounding success. After all, he was the FIRST DUKE COACH since the legendary Vic Bubas to cop an ACC TITLE in his ROOKIE YEAR!!!

IMHO, it was also a harbinger of things to come. Bubas went on to lead Duke to three Final Fours in the 60s.

OFC

Last edited:
Sound point bleed. From that perspective I consider Jon's maiden voyage a resounding success. After all, he was the FIRST DUKE COACH since the legendary Vic Bubas to cop an ACC TITLE in his ROOKIE YEAR!!!

IMHO, it was also a harbinger of things to come. Bubas went on to lead Duke to three Final Fours in the 60s.

OFC
Right on, Hart! Honestly, Jon has the potential to be as good or better than Bubas, which is saying a lot. Because of K, people tend to forget how good Vic was. Jon also became the first ACC coach to go undefeated at home in his first season. He's been with the program for over 500 games as a player and coach. I have a lot of faith in him to hang more banners.

Right on, Hart! Honestly, Jon has the potential to be as good or better than Bubas, which is saying a lot. Because of K, people tend to forget how good Vic was. Jon also became the first ACC coach to go undefeated at home in his first season. He's been with the program for over 500 games as a player and coach. I have a lot of faith in him to hang more banners.
X2 my good man!! OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
As I said Hart it was just my barometer. I am as die hard of a blue Devil fan you’ll find, but I know I would be disappointed many years if I expected them to get to the Final 4 every season. I’m proud of the guys for winning regular season and/or ACC tournament championships throughout the course of a season. Like Chris said just as long as the team is a contender to make a deep run that’s great enough for me.

I think in the last several seasons, the 15-16 and 20-21 teams were the only ones who I thought were not good enough to get to the Final 4.

As I said Hart it was just my barometer. I am as die hard of a blue Devil fan you’ll find, but I know I would be disappointed many years if I expected them to get to the Final 4 every season. I’m proud of the guys for winning regular season and/or ACC tournament championships throughout the course of a season. Like Chris said just as long as the team is a contender to make a deep run that’s great enough for me.

I think in the last several seasons, the 15-16 and 20-21 teams were the only ones who I thought were not good enough to get to the Final 4.
Regardless, as @Mac9192 noted, had a Calipari, Self, or Ol' Roy fielded the '17, '18 and '19 teams we would have called them "chokers" for not making the FF at least one year. No excuses.

"A contender to make a deep run," is certainly exciting, but at the end of the day, if said team implodes early (first weekend), like '17 for instance, it's still "Heartbreak Hotel" to quote Dick Vitale.

OFC

Regardless, as @Mac9192 noted, had a Calipari, Self, or Ol' Roy fielded the '17, '18 and '19 teams we would have called them "chokers" for not making the FF at least one year. No excuses.

OFC
That 17 team got us all jacked up. They played like we thought they could for 1 weekend. But something happened within the team (Tatum, Kennard, or both) that screwed the team up, leading to a 1st weekend exit.

The 18 team may have been the most talented bunch K has had in a while. Only won on talent though. This bunch couldn’t spell defense or chemistry. I wonder if K regrets adding Bagley. I do.

Everyone talks about how lucky Michigan St was against us in 19. Maybe. But we wouldn’t have gotten out of the 1st weekend had Dawkins son made that point blank layup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT