ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs NC St round 3 ELITE EIGHT ADDITION

I was mostly just upset that the team didn't really have a fire under them after losing in the ACCT.

I thought it was awesome we were getting a rematch against an 11 seed of all things. How many 11 seeds have made a final four? Edey will eat Burns for lunch
But Burns will win the pie-eating contest afterwards!

Reactions: hart2chesson
And Scheyer will never be Coach K.
And Scheyer will never be Coach K.

There will always be an asterisk on that. Especially after today.
There will always be an asterisk on that. Especially after today.
and an asterisk next to every Houston win for playing with 5 year guys brought on by a freak pandemic. See how that works buddy. You got extra eligibility from your guys and transfers. Alllowed you to win games that wouldn’t have been playing in normal times. You can asterisk or find an excuse for anything. Deal with it.

Out of this roster the only realistic ones I wish would return are Stewart, Foster and McCain... Honestly I don't think any return other than Foster and Proctor IMO... Mitchell will transfer, and if he returns we lose 1. And if multiple guards return we lose Harris... so we shall se in the next couple weeks... I just hope it's soon.

They continue to say practice players but Duke needs bench players who actually play to help !

Locker room and practice guys.

Nobody in D1 basketball is getting better practicing against guys like catching or begovich. And locker room guys? Please let’s get some dudes who can actually ball AND be good teammates

Social media is a cesspool. The amount of homophobic slurs being directed at McCain right now is disturbing. I don't have any social media, but my girlfriend just showed me countless posts calling him a "fag" and shit. What is wrong with people?
The hate is real. Nothing else to say other than his nails and his tiktoks. The kid is tough. Under sized and when to battle with the big men every time.

Tell them bums to come say that to me ! McCain is the only reason Duke didn’t get beat by twenty . I hate internet ****ing bully’s !!
They gotta hide behind social media. Cowards. McCain is one of my favorite players we’ve had at Duke. Never lost his cool, always brought the fight, and this team wins a whole hell of a lot less games without him.

I don’t have questions about Jon other than why haven’t we used Stewart against Burns after he dominated him in the second half of game one?

I mean. What is the logic??? Why haven’t we even tried it in the ACC tourney or today.

Now the game is over it’s way too late…..
I agree this was beyond stupid to keep watching young
Because you only show up when we are losing to talk shit you mother****ing piece of shit. You are the worst kind of fan.
Calm down and lay down the bottle. He has said nothing out of line.

Duke shot poorly and seemed more concerned with the officiating during NC states run. There were one sided calls during a stretch but a more mature team would get pissed and have motivated through it. Also burns was amazing.

Last edited:
and an asterisk next to every Houston win for playing with 5 year guys brought on by a freak pandemic. See how that works buddy. You got extra eligibility from your guys and transfers. Alllowed you to win games that wouldn’t have been playing in normal times. You can asterisk or find an excuse for anything. Deal with it.
Seems like Houston fans forgot that he had 2 points in the first 13 minutes and was 1-5...but never let facts get in your way I guess.

And it shows
Longterm I do not think we can expect sustained success with freshmen/sophomore dominated rosters. This offseason will provide a glimpse of Jon's vision for the future. State is stocked with "old" talent.

I do not care how much "Diaper Dandy" talent we have on the way. Experienced/talented players are needed in Durham, and Jon MUST work the portal.

OFC

Last edited:
Sampson won’t ever be as good as Scheyer lmao.
Born two years ago I guess? He’s a solid coach and has been for a while. Scheyer has proven nothing. This Duke team regressed from last year despite making it one game further. Not saying he will not end up a good coach but there was not a whole lot of fight this year when this team was losing in the second half. We usually folded.

My point as well! Purdue plays mostly home grown guys with little shot at the next level that are willing to play their roles. Hopefully, we will learn something from that.
I'd love to keep some of these guys. The people saying they don't want most of them back are crazy. I hope we bring a core group back. It helped us this year. Jon started last year with two Roach and Blakes. Word is Roach is gone. Blakes is on pace to graduate. We know Young is moving on. I'd love to see some of these other guys come back. A junior Mark Mitchell and Tyrese would be vital to our success next season.

Reactions: sheyduke
Went for a nice walk and cleared my head. Feel better now. Here are some thoughts.
1. Overall a good season. Elite Eight is just that; elite. It's been twenty plus years since my St. John's team got that far.
2. This team was good, at times great, but never consistently great. Still; this team got as far as the Zion and Bagley teams with less talent and muscle.
3. We lost to an 11 seed, which sucks, but State is playing like a 2 seed right now.
4. As we saw with Love, it's really hard to advance when one of your star guys shoots a donut.
5. Our guys really need to hit the weights. It's what the game has become. It is a physical game. Our guards look like kids out there.
6. Thank you Flip for staying a second year. You had to man the 5, which is not your natural position despite your size.
7. Thank you Ryan Young, for giving your all. And Roach if this is your last game. We don't make the FF without you.
8. Thank you Mccain, if this is your last Duke game. You showed great heart and a nice shot.
9. We made it to one game before the final four, when most had us going out early.
10. We need 3-4 guys back at least. The next few weeks will be interesting. Convince guys like Mitchell and Stewart that they have a role. We need at least one of our good guards back.
Disappointed with today, but it was a nice run. We seemed to run out of gas after Houston. Congrats to the Wolfpack.

Last edited:
Born two years ago I guess? He’s a solid coach and has been for a while. Scheyer has proven nothing. This Duke team regressed from last year despite making it one game further. Not saying he will not end up a good coach but there was not a whole lot of fight this year when this team was losing in the second half. We usually folded.
I don't think this team grew a lot from last year. But they didn't regress. There was a lot of things to be frustrated about with this team. And part of that is due to some poor coaching. But expecting Scheyer to win and win now with this era of college basketball is asking too much. He needs time to grow into his position. Year two with underperforming players is too soon to say he has done nothing. And it's two games further than last year. With one fewer loss.

Nobody in D1 basketball is getting better practicing against guys like catching or begovich. And locker room guys? Please let’s get some dudes who can actually ball AND be good teammates
I get the frustration, but coaches recruit that.

Went for a nice walk and cleared my head. Feel better now. Here are some thoughts.
1. Overall a good season. Elite Eight is just that; elite. It's been twenty plus years since my St. John's team got that far.
2. This team was good, at times great, but never consistently great. Still; this team got as far as the Zion and Bagley teams with less talent and muscle.
3. We lost to an 11 seed, which sucks, but State is playing like a 2 seed right now.
4. As we saw with Love, it's really hard to advance when one of your star guys shoots a donut.
5. Our guys really need to hit the weights. It's what the game has become. It is a physical game. Our guards look like kids out there.
6. Thank you Flip for staying a second year. You had to man the 5, which is not your natural position despite your size.
7. Thank you Ryan Young, for giving your all. And Roach if this is your last game. We don't make the FF without you.
8. Thank you Mccain, if this is your last Duke game. You showed great heart and a nice shot.
9. We made it to one game before the final four, when most had us going out early.
10. We need 3-4 guys back at least. The next few weeks will be interesting. Convince guys like Mitchell and Stewart that they have a role. We need at least one of our good guards back.
Disappointed with today, but it was a nice run. We seemed to run out of gas after Houston. Congrats to the Wolfpack.
Well Said

Reactions: christophero
As the game got close I started to get a bad feeling. I went for a long walk and missed the first half. It seemed like one of those days that wouldn't end well. (I did the same thing for the Kansas EE game)

It took 6 years for K to get to the elite 8. Jon did it in year 2. I'm as disappointed as anyone but once this extra COVID year crap is over and Jon finds his way, we will win. Think we were a legit big man away from a final 4 or championship.

Flip played hard but you can see that he can easily be frustrated and opponents knew that. .

I want to be happy that this team made the Elite 8, but I think this team was fools gold. I know injuries are part of the game, and Duke deals with them almost every year, but honestly we caught a break against Houston. Deep down, you guys know it’s a good possibility we lose if Shead doesn’t get hurt.

Preseason #2, with 4 starters back sounds really good, but two of the four had subpar sophomore seasons, and two highly touted freshmen really didn’t play a lot.
We got swept by the holes, looking lethargic. Our tournament run was beating Vermont, a really good mid major, then a very handicapped Houston team.

We could try harder in the portal if we wanted to. I get there are guys we cannot get, but if you only try for 2 guys, you are not casting a very wide net. What about all the transfers the football team gets? It's probably more of a PT issue, as 5 stars usually play big minutes for us. No reason we couldn't add a slightly better version of Theo or Grandison, if that's the way we wanted to go. Maybe guys don't want to compete against the #1 incoming class. Does NC State have any 5 stars?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
We could try harder in the portal if we wanted to. I get there are guys we cannot get, but if you only try for 2 guys, you are not casting a very wide net. What about all the transfers the football team gets? It's probably more of a PT issue, as 5 stars usually play big minutes for us. No reason we couldn't add a slightly better version of Theo or Grandison, if that's the way we wanted to go. Maybe guys don't want to compete against the #1 incoming class.
I believe that we tried for several, but it didn't work out. You can't make people come here and compete. Some don't want that competition. And I think a healthy Reeves this year would've gotten his chances to help us. The jury is still out on how much he could've helped, but you can't teach size. But that's neither here nor there. But next year, we will have a rim protector.

If that's honestly the case, Duke is done from here on out. The current Duke game plan will not work in this environment.
We can get good transfers. And we will. Despite what some say, Young helped us a ton these last two years, and Theo was good too, in '22. Correction, not Stanley, but Hood was great for us, too.

Last edited:
Stanley was a transfer?
Hard to believe Vern Carey could have been a Covid senior this year, instead of doing whatever the hell he is doing today. Think we lose a game this year with him at the 5? Maybe 1 or 2.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Stanley was a transfer?
Hard to believe Vern Carey could have been a Covid senior this year, instead of doing whatever the hell he is doing today. Think we lose a game this year with him at the 5? Maybe 1 or 2.
Big Vern should've stayed for sure. With the NIL, who knows what he would've done?

Reactions: christophero
And Roshown McCloud from my St. John's team. If Brand doesn't break his foot that 98 team hangs a banner. Brand came back but wasn't 100%.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT