ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs NC St round 3 ELITE EIGHT ADDITION

Proctor has not been allowed to be the 'dominant guard'. As a team player, he has been horrible. Dominant guard...it may be a different conversation.
I dont see how he dominates...he doesnt seem to be able to drive past quicker guards, nor does he have a consistent outside shot...he has size...but is soft...we need a guard like Horn or any of the guards like the ones on Uconn or Purdue...

Reactions: youngman42
Watching today it seemed like Scheyer was slowing everything down calling a lot of sets. No transition offense whatsoever. Sometimes you have to let them play a little bit and he didn’t do that today.
I agree with that statement! I noticed that to he kept telling them to slow down and let State set up there defense!

I get that as well, but I don't think this team is a one year development project. Our flaws were hid last year until Tenn. Mitchell was forced to start and Flip played the wing. This year, Flip is the center and Mitchell has more responsibility. We are not that team. Flip is at his best with a Center/Rim Protector. Mitchell is at his best with NO PRESSURE!
They’ve been in the system/ developed for 2 years. Scheyer hand picks his squad. Everyone knew that lively was gone after one year, and yet scheyer didn’t prepare by grabbing another center.

But today’s story isn’t necessarily the front court. It’s the back court. Roach played so so but proctor, a pre season top 5 guy , has regressed.

Mitchell? Hasn’t developed any skills what so ever.

He was a 5 star SF and if he was rerated he’d probably be a 3 star guy now.

This is not on Coach. This is on the guys in the rectangle, some of which are true Freshman and Sophomores. We just didn't have the experience and If you are a pro, you have to have an impact on the game(Proctor). We better hope Mitchell comes back, we are missing Juniors and seniors who have been through the action and can actually lead a young team. I'm sure we lose Roach, Proctor, McCain, Young, and Flip. Moving forward, where will our leadership come from?
Do you think Scheyer's gameplan on Burns or his offensive sets weren't a huge difference in how the game unfolded?

I believe in Jon, love Jon as our coach, but it's hard to put it all on the players for this one. We got outcoached

I agree with that statement! I noticed that to he kept telling them to slow down and let State set up there defense!
My dad called to say the same thing….said Scheyer slowed them down to much and doesn’t let them play.

The more we slowed down the worse we got….

Mitchell is the player that kills our offense but often helps our defense.

His inability to space the floor at the 4 in college is a huge reason why our guards can't find open penetration lanes. He brings a lot of value in certain matchups. not today

Don’t we want an older team? I mean, how good were many of the older players on other teams when they were freshman and sophomores like Proctor, Mitchell, Stewart etc?

I think I would rather have most of these guys back and if it means we lose some recruits, so as long it isn’t the likes of a Cooper Flagg then so be it.

But I wouldn’t mind having a

Roach - 5th year Sr
Proctor - Junior
Mitchell - Junior

Guys Proctor had a terrible game but you really don't want a junior Proctor? And a junior Mitchell.
We could grab better contributors in the portal. We have a big guard who doesn’t like to use his size, can’t shoot and a sf build undersized power forward who can’t dribble, shoot or impact the game more than 3 feet away from the basket.

Don’t we want an older team? I mean, how good were many of the older players on other teams when they were freshman and sophomores like Proctor, Mitchell, Stewart etc?

I think I would rather have most of these guys back and if it means we lose some recruits, so as long it isn’t the likes of a Cooper Flagg then so be it.

Roach - 5th year Sr
Proctor - Junior
Mitchell - Junior

Roach - 5th year Sr
Proctor - Junior
Mitchell - Junior
I'd rather have an older team of a couple transfers that are proven studs to mix with some incoming 5 stars.

Reactions: Neue Regel
We could grab better contributors in the portal. We have a big guard who doesn’t like to use his size, can’t shoot and a sf build undersized power forward who can’t dribble, shoot or impact the game more than 3 feet away from the basket.
Truth...and need a decent big...a true inside presence

I just want us to stop losing players after a season or two but I understand that is what happens when Duke recruits the way they do

Tired of hearing the portal talk ! These are guys up for sale or weren’t getting any burn or weren’t starting ! Give me players that will stay and learn the system . Give me dominant go get me a bucket players ! That’s what the teams that beat us have . We had McCain but when he’s got it’s normally the rest of the back court that is off .

We have Evans, who will be an instant bucket getter. Flagg is a start and Mal. Who’s your pg and sg ? Who’s your bench . Jon really needs to start recruiting the guys expected to return . Stewart for one and Foster .

We need a PG that can penetrate and create defenses to collapse, throw some lobs, penetrate and kick.

Somebody that can break a defense down and create some offense….beat people 1 on 1.

We don’t have it and it is not Proctor……I would go find one STAT with Flagg coming in….

Personally I think Proctor and Mitchell are close to being very good college players. Not today obviously. Roach just seems like he's moving on, and can't seem to stay healthy. I'd take Roach back. My guess is Proctor, Mitchell, and Stewart return. I think McCain had balled out in the tourney and will go pro.

Reactions: Jjallen
Tired of hearing the portal talk ! These are guys up for sale or weren’t getting any burn or weren’t starting ! Give me players that will stay and learn the system . Give me dominant go get me a bucket players ! That’s what the teams that beat us have . We had McCain but when he’s got it’s normally the rest of the back court that is off .

We have Evans, who will be an instant bucket getter. Flagg is a start and Mal. Who’s your pg and sg ? Who’s your bench . Jon really needs to start recruiting the guys expected to return . Stewart for one and Foster .

I guess I am in the minority but I want everyone back. Experience wins games in the tournament. Middlebrooks who has a fraction of the talent flip has, owned the refs and flip.

Got to get a big man in the portal though. Not sure the kid from Africa can guard someone like burns or edey. (We were not beating Purdue) McCain will undoubtedly go pro. Need some massive nil deals to throw at him.

Reactions: christophero

Roach - 5th year Sr
Proctor - Junior
Mitchell - Junior
Roach doesn’t need to return and I’m sorry you need a true sg and pg for next seasons team Roach has done all he can at the college level .

Personally I think Proctor and Mitchell are close to being very good college players. Not today obviously. Roach just seems like he's moving on, and can't seem to stay healthy. I'd take Roach back. My guess is Proctor, Mitchell, and Stewart return. I think McCain had balled out in the tourney and will go pro.
I dont see the Mitchell angle...he cant shoot, struggles with layups and his FT's are flatlined....outside of a good athlete I dont see a good BB player

We lose by 3 had flip not got that charge call😂 That 3rd foul completely changed everything. The very next play flip was tentative and threw up a weak shot that missed and NC state took off from there.

Reactions: jamsession2
Folks...we are not going to be players in the portal, atleast this off-season. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, it's the facts. Far too many high profile freshman coming in. We just have to hope Stewart and Foster come back.

An elite 8 appearance is far from a bad year and I do believe overall this was a successful season. This one stings though because we simply didn't look like we wanted to be on the court, couldn't hit any outside shots, and it was an odd game plan on defense the entire game to say the least.

All we can hope is someone takes out UConn.

Folks...we are not going to be players in the portal, atleast this off-season. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, it's the facts. Far too many high profile freshman coming in. We just have to hope Stewart and Foster come back.

An elite 8 appearance is far from a bad year and I do believe overall this was a successful season. This one stings though because we simply didn't look like we wanted to be on the court, couldn't hit any outside shots, and it was an odd game plan on defense the entire game to say the least.

All we can hope is someone takes out UConn.
No one is beating UCONN!

Agreed . sucks to say but scheyer isn’t building teams to take advantage of the portal, nor is he building teams to develop 3-4 year players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT