ADVERTISEMENT

None of us are Coach K

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
but let's say you were and still are the Duke men's basketball coach with the same players we've had since our last national championship team. What would you do different than Coach K to win our 6th , 7th , 8th or possible 9th national championship . I admit that I don't know the x's and o's of the game so I don't know what I would do but I do know we have a few posters on this board who do understand strategy, and the in's and out'some of the game. I'm not trying to because smart ass I just want to know how we should have been more successful with all the talent we've had at Duke these last 4 years or so. Please I don't want anyone getting upset just honest takes on how we should have done better. OFC

Just be honest and tell us what would make us a better program. I know just about everyone of us have been disappointed with only 5 titles. I sure have but like I said I don't know enough about the game. OFC

Lmao. We just may find K's replacement here lol.
giphy.gif

but let's say you were and still are the Duke men's basketball coach with the same players we've had since our last national championship team. What would you do different than Coach K to win our 6th , 7th , 8th or possible 9th national championship . I admit that I don't know the x's and o's of the game so I don't know what I would do but I do know we have a few posters on this board who do understand strategy, and the in's and out'some of the game. I'm not trying to because smart ass I just want to know how we should have been more successful with all the talent we've had at Duke these last 4 years or so. Please I don't want anyone getting upset just honest takes on how we should have done better. OFC
I’d concentrate on creating the best team and not a collection of the best players. Unless they are one in the same. It’s possible. Edit: this part is something you don’t really know you have until you start playing games together, so this aspect has a lot of luck involved.

I don’t know if it’s possible anymore, because the kids that leave early has grown exponentially in just the past five years, but I think we need that Quinn Cook, Matt Jones, Seth Curry, Jon Scheyer, et al type of upperclassman that can lead a team and be a threat to have a big game and lead the team in scoring even though they’re probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

Xs and Os? I don’t know. I’m not a fan of the iso scheme that just puts the ball in the hands of the best player and expects them to score.

But, I trust K knows what he’s doing. I’ll wait for my turn and then y’all can bitch about me on here. :D

Last edited:
So far I'm disappointed but it is late and hopefully this thread will light up tomorrow and we will get some serious coaching minds posting . OFC

So far I'm disappointed but it is late and hopefully this thread will light up tomorrow and we will get some serious coaching minds posting . OFC
It will. Many are probably just creating the first draft of their thesis on this topic after reading the OP. We’ll see graphs, charts, analogies, horoscopes, etc.

Obviously, I can answer your questions, I just have to work on putting it into layman’s Terms so you all can grasp it. I’ll work on that and get back to ya! :D

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be cool if guru gary - 7 could give us his insight. I understand he's been brilliant analyzing the unc cheater program. OFC

Reactions: meisperplexed
Tell the boys to put the ball in the basket more than the other team from the three-point line and equal amounts from two-point range and the free throw line. This is the blueprint for winning each and every game. It's foolproof!

Tell the boys to put the ball in the basket more than the other team from the three-point line and equal amounts from two-point range and the free throw line. This is the blueprint for winning each and every game. It's foolproof!
Freaking genius I tell ya lol. I like your simple approach. It just may work lol.

Equal playing time.

Are you saying let's say playing tennis guys 20 minutes each, Brilliant. Of course if you have more than ten it would cut pt and some body with a big ego would be selfish wanting say at least 12 to 15 minutes and if did not get that then you would have transfer problems. Well there I go adding my opinion. Well it's way past this senIle old farts bed time and I'm going to bed and dream of all the suggestions I'm hoping for. OFC

I’d concentrate on creating the best team and not a collection of the best players. Unless they are one in the same. It’s possible. Edit: this part is something you don’t really know you have until you start playing games together, so this aspect has a lot of luck involved.

I don’t know if it’s possible anymore, because the kids that leave early has grown exponentially in just the past five years, but I think we need that Quinn Cook, Matt Jones, Seth Curry, Jon Scheyer, et al type of upperclassman that can lead a team and be a threat to have a big game and lead the team in scoring even though they’re probably the 3rd or 4th best player on the team.

Xs and Os? I don’t know. I’m not a fan of the iso scheme that just puts the ball in the hands of the best player and expects them to score.

But, I trust K knows what he’s doing. I’ll wait for my turn and then y’all can bitch about me on here. :D

This is what I think. And why I feel you should be next

Thanks RS. I've had a lot of time to contemplate since I literally can't walk from The Waffle House to my car without breaking an ankle or two. :eek:
How's those ankles coming along? If you need physical therapy to help you learn how to step off a curb, I will assist you lol.

Reactions: meisperplexed
I’m not even going to pretend that I know enough about basketball to know what could’ve/should’ve been done different but IMO there were 3 key things that had an effect on our seasons from 2015-16 through 2018-19 at different points in those seasons

1) injuries- all 4 of those teams had injuries to starters and/or key bench players

2) point guard-3 of those teams had point guards that didn’t live up to expectations (I’m not sure if that’s the right way to put it but it was the best way that I could put it)

3) chemistry-it’s been takes about numerous times about how some of those teams seemed to have chemistry issues. With all the one and dones that we’ve had we knew that they weren’t going to be at Duke for more than one season but there were some that seemed like they were already gone before the season ended because because they didn’t want to be in college and they were only in college because they had to be.

Reactions: skysdad
I would switch from a deny defensive philosophy to a gap defensive philosophy.

Here's one of the best articles I've read detailing the differences:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/virginia-defense-pack-line-dick-tony-bennett/

The deny defense that K prefers, with its reliance on rotations, defensive communication, when to help, when NOT to help, etc., is difficult for even veteran players to master. It's exceptionally difficult for first-year guys, who, obviously, we've become increasingly reliant upon. This year may have been an exception, given the presence of the unicorn (Zion), but I honestly believe our adherence to this philosophy over the last decade has cost us at least a couple of Final Four trips, simply because this defensive strategy didn't match our personnel.

I think it was someone on this board that posted this. From 2008-2017, in our losses in the NCAA Tournament, we gave up at least 44 points in the second half to every team. In 2 or 3 games we gave up over 50, and in one we gave up 65. 65!!!

Do you think that was just bad luck?

No.. it was bad strategy, exacerbated by our lack of depth (guys getting worn out in the 2nd half).

On offense...

More. Ball. Movement.

Over the last few years it seems like we end up identifying a couple of primary scorers, then everything ends up running through those two guys. I know K has said he doesn't want to stifle their instincts, but the instincts of 18 and 19 year olds are far from perfect. We need to incorporate more offensive sets that take advantage of multiple (not just two) player strengths. This past year... why in God's name are we not putting Zion in the pick and roll 5 times a game, either as the ball handler or the screener. For example.

K remains the best recruiter, and he is the best there's ever been as a motivator and communicator. And while I absolutely believe he is the GOAT, I have lost some confidence in him as a strategist/tactician. And I have read similar sentiments from people who know a lot more about this than I do.

I know that's quite a soliloquy, but those are a few thoughts anyway.

Last edited:

Yo when you come up, just remember where you come from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT