ADVERTISEMENT

Name the 5 players you were happy to see leave unc and the reason why.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Odd thread I admit but being a Duke fan for so long there have many players that I was happy to see leave for various reasons. Here are mine.

Phil Ford. He just simply wore us out the whole time he was at unc .

Charlie Scott. Most of you never saw he play. He was there for 3 years because he couldn't play varsity as a freshman but he was so good. Glad to see him go.

Mahktar N'jaiye. He wasn't good at all just a thug and a jerk. There's no other player to compare him to. It wasn't just competitiveness he was just a butt. Very disrespectful and after what he did in front of Coach K's family he should have been suspended. I really think he may have been bi-polar

Tyler Hansbrough. He owned us also but it was just more than that. He got away with so much. Happy to see him leave and have an unsuccessful NBA career. Hope he never makes it back.

Bobby Jones. Nothing bad to say about him. I really liked him and wish he had played for Duke. Simply happy to see he leave because it felt so weird actually liking a tar heel.

OFC

The Cheats have had so many memorable players its hard to pick just 5 but here are mine.

1-Tyler Hansflopper, He was a great college player and like Sky said, he owned us.
2-Harrison Barnes, with all the hype he had from day one I thought he would likely score 50 points on us each game. Didn't he actually get 40 one game?

3- Marcus Paige. He was a very good college player and I always thought he would go off on us at any time. He was a nice player and I wish he had been a Dukie.

4-PJ Harriston, I can't remember him damaging us that badly but the dude was just scary to look at plus he had that famous PJ stare. The inventor of Wheels for Heels.

5-Rasheed Wallace. He didn't score that many while at UNcheat but every time a foul was called on him he whined about it. I also was afraid our players were going to catch the mange from him.

Odd thread

Mahktar N'jaiye. He wasn't good at all just a thug and a jerk. There's no other player to compare him to. It wasn't just competitiveness he was just a butt. Very disrespectful and after what he did in front of Coach K's family he should have been suspended. I really think he may have been bi-polar

Bobby Jones. Nothing bad to say about him. I really liked him and wish he had played for Duke. Simply happy to see he leave because it felt so weird actually liking a tar heel.

OFC

There's never been two more polar opposite individuals than N'jayie and Bobby Jones. The former as you so aptly nailed it: "A THUG and A JERK."

Bobby Jones meanwhile simply an outstanding human being, so truly humble and a warrior who won NBA Defensive MVP awards while battling epilepsy. Later went into the education field as a high school principal and hoops coach in the Mecklenburg County area. You couldnt ask for a better leader of our young people.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Tyler Hansbrough- just really bought into the Duke/UNC rivalry and got tired of his crying antics when he got touched. But he destroyed the interior.

Danny Green- the dunk on Paulus was enough and his defense.

Harrison Barnes - just because Skype gate.

Marcus Paige

Reggie Bullock- just because the tantrum Ol Roy through because he didn’t listen to him about staying.

1. Tyler Hansbrough- crybaby
2. Bryce Johnson- Couldn’t stand that face he would make after a big dunk.
3. Makhtar N’ Diaye- Just a complete POS! I dislike a lot of UNC players, but he’s almost someone that you could put in the hate category.
4. Harrison Barnes- Thought for sure he was coming to Duke but when he shocked me and everyone and went to UNC, I couldn’t wait until he left there.
5. Ty Lawson- Just didn’t care for him at all and his brushes with the law and the fact he was still allowed to play the 2008-09 season following a run in with the law.

Ty Lawson- the most unstoppable UNC PG in my time

Hansbrough- see above

Zeller- thought he was an overated cherry picker

Butter- same as zeller-, always felt he was a bit overated, but played well against Duke a number of times.

Haywood- those FTs that beat us in 98...wtf

A few I hated to see leave:
Kris Lang
Adam Boone
Matt Doherty (coach, but probably player too)

Last edited:
Tyler Hansbrough- just really bought into the Duke/UNC rivalry and got tired of his crying antics when he got touched. But he destroyed the interior.

Danny Green- the dunk on Paulus was enough and his defense.

Harrison Barnes - just because Skype gate.

Marcus Paige

Reggie Bullock- just because the tantrum Ol Roy through because he didn’t listen to him about staying.

The top three would make my list too.

Hansbrough’s one of the best college players of the last 20 years. We’re fortunate the Heels only got one title his four years there.

Green just did everything. He hit big shots, played defense, highlight dunks, you name it. Plus, he, like Hansbrough, never lost at CIS.

Barnes I just don’t like. And I’ll readily admit it’s bitterness. I’m not above that. He played us, but I’m happy how everything turned out. We won a national championship five months after he announced, Barnes had a losing record against us, we beat their ass for the ACC championship and he left there with no hardware.

I’d add Ty Lawson. He was the straw that stirred the drink for the 2009 team. Unfortunately, he drank too much one night and decided to drive. IMO, he was going pro before that happened. Instead, he returned for his junior season and partnered with Hansbrough as maybe the two best college players in the country that season. Today he has four DUIs. I hope he’s getting the help he needs.

Rasheed Wallace is definitely another. He was annoying in the NBA too. It’s always humorous to me when you hear a UNC fan call Grayson or Christian a punk....but in the next sentence applaud this clown for being who he is. If you look up punk in the dictionary, there’s a picture of Wallace.

The top three would make my list too.

Hansbrough’s one of the best college players of the last 20 years. We’re fortunate the Heels only got one title his four years there.

Green just did everything. He hit big shots, played defense, highlight dunks, you name it. Plus, he, like Hansbrough, never lost at CIS.

Barnes I just don’t like. And I’ll readily admit it’s bitterness. I’m not above that. He played us, but I’m happy how everything turned out. We won a national championship five months after he announced, Barnes had a losing record against us, we beat their ass for the ACC championship and he left there with no hardware.

I’d add Ty Lawson. He was the straw that stirred the drink for the 2009 team. Unfortunately, he drank too much one night and decided to drive. IMO, he was going pro before that happened. Instead, he returned for his junior season and partnered with Hansbrough as maybe the two best college players in the country that season. Today he has four DUIs. I hope he’s getting the help he needs.

Rasheed Wallace is definitely another. He was annoying in the NBA too. It’s always humorous to me when you hear a UNC fan call Grayson or Christian a punk....but in the next sentence applaud this clown for being who he is. If you look up punk in the dictionary, there’s a picture of Wallace.
Doesn’t Sheed have the most Ts in NBA history? And i think by a wide margin.

I think it’ll be unanimous that Hansbrah will be on everyone’s list. I hated the fact that the dude walked on what seemed like every single play. He also went to the line quite literally more than any other player ever. It pains me that that he took the ACC scoring title from JJ in HUGE part bc of how often he went to the line. You couldn’t breathe near that guy without being whistled for one.

Sheed would be on my list. Probably Ed Cota as well, couldn’t stand him. Danny Green and his dancing on the sidelines was a bit much. Same could be said for Pinson as well but i don’t mind him as much- dude has just been injury plagued and isn’t nearly as good as Green was.

Tyler H for sure. Not going to focus on any antics but he killed it in Cameron. Dude just always seemed to be on. I can remenber him as a Fr playing against The Landlord.

Ty Lawson. Just was so dynamic with the ball in transition and once he starting hitting shots, geez.

Brice Johnson. Have to give him credit for his he developed. Just knew each game he would own the paint.

Danny Green. You all mentioned all I would say.

Sean May, Hansbrough, Kendall Marshall, Danny Green, Brice Johnson.

Johnson is the only player on the list who I actually liked. So I was happy to see him leave for reasons similar to those mentioned about Bobby Jones.

Sean May is a very very close second to Hansbrough for me. Couldn't stand him.

I was just grateful Marshall left after two years. He would have been an all time great PG if he stayed all four, IMO.

Odd thread I admit but being a Duke fan for so long there have many players that I was happy to see leave for various reasons. Here are mine.

Phil Ford. He just simply wore us out the whole time he was at unc .

Everyone wore us out during that time.

OFC

1. Hansbrough- So successful and the ACC scoring record.
2. McCants- Very annoying player who won a championship. But now that he’s turned on UNC I guess he’s ok.
3. Rasheed Wallace- I wasn’t following college ball back then, but no doubt his behavior in the NBA was an embarrassment.
4. Jackson and Meeks from the ‘17 title team- I thought they were both overrated.
5. Dan Green- For the dancing and he won a title

1. Antwan....Antoine....Antone...Antawn Jamison- they guy just seemed to kill us.
2. Larry Miller - the guy just seemed to kill us.
3. Charlie Scott- For going off for 40 against us in the ACC Championship game.
4. Dennis Wuycik- actually one of the few UNC players I actually liked. I didn't need to have that thought process.
5. Mahktar Ndiaye-Jeff McInnis- Rashad McCants- just for being thugs with attitudes.

It's a Duke board so I'll be careful posting this but these are the 5 Duke players I was happy to see leave. And keep in mind, I'm not that old so the rivalry began to matter to me in the early to mid 00s. And this is from a UNC fan's perspective.

1. JJ Redick- the first player on Duke I can really recall hating for a variety of factors. He was arrogant and annoying. Could only shoot the three and not good for much else. Yet he put up ridiculous numbers and beat us more than we beat him. Spoiling his senior night was huge.

2. Jon Scheyer- I used to laugh out loud at the faces he used to make caught in mid action. Another classic white player that was easy to see as a villain. Plus, he won a natty.

3. Tyus Jones- I really haven't hated much of the Duke OADs (besides Austin Rivers for obvious reasons), but this guy single handedly came back to beat us in a game we should have won. I'll never forget that.

4. Nolan Smith- I had respect for this player. I heard from many people at Oak Hill about what an upstanding person he was. But that didn't mean I had to like how good he was both defensively and offensively. Won a natty as well.

5. Austin Rivers- He was never going to be in college longer than a year and he played a huge role in the division of the 2011-12 Duke team. But that shot will forever make my blood boil.

I really don't understand this post. It is completely off topic and I feel the thread has been hijacked. I have no problem with you starting a thread over at thr using the word Duke instead of unc. Maybe it's just me though and it's okay with the rest of the DI posters. I just don't understand it. I can only imagine if I were allowed to post at thr and I posted this very thread over at thr what would happen. I imagine I would be called a p.o.s. and other things don't you think cblue 34. Just my feeble minded opinion. OFC

I really don't understand this post. It is completely off topic and I feel the thread has been hijacked. I have no problem with you starting a thread over at thr using the word Duke instead of unc. Maybe it's just me though and it's okay with the rest of the DI posters. I just don't understand it. I can only imagine if I were allowed to post at thr and I posted this very thread over at thr what would happen. I imagine I would be called a p.o.s. and other things don't you think cblue 34. OFC

I deleted it. Didn’t mean to go too far.

You know me. The post wasn’t intended to hijack.

No problem. I'm glad there are Duke players that you were glad to see leave. Some of them really were a thorn in unc's side. I know there must be a one and done or two that you were happy to see leave after one year but just think if they had went to unc they all would have been there for 4 years with the charming ability hof coach roy williams has of keeping them until they are seniors and no telling how many consecutive nattys you guys would have if starting with Kyrie all those Duke OAD's had went to unc. We Duke fans are grateful they didn't go to unc and fall in love with the place and just couldn't leave. ;) OFC

Reactions: GillJET
Why wouldn’t they want to stay there four years? Just hang out and play basketball with no classes to worry about.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t they want to stay there four years? Just hang out and play basketball with classes to worry about.

hof coach roy williams, the carolina way and family and 4 years of "nanner puddin" OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT