ADVERTISEMENT

Makur Maker

Willcampbell

Cameron Crazy
Oct 20, 2004
Committed to Howard over UCLA, KY, and Memphis. Probably the start of a trend. Good luck, young man.
OFC

I don’t know what I think about this yet..

On one hand.. it’s a really cool statement to make..

On the other hand.. he’s going to be playing with/against a bunch of unranked or very low ranked players.. there’s very little chance he can improve his game at that level of play.. I’m sure they have good coaching and facilities, but I doubt it is anywhere near the caliber needed for transitioning from NCAA basketball to the NBA..

Also, if he changes his mind and decides to go to the G-League or overseas, then he looks waaay worse than if he backs out from a power conference team.. it’ll look like he used the HBCU to get a pat on the back and had no intentions of really helping the school..

side note: I looked at the Howard roster and they have a 6’11” / 295 pound player (Cam Timmons).. shit.. Duke shoulda gave him a scholarship.. I don’t care if he can’t run to the other end of the court and back.. with NCAA basketball not having a defensive 3 second rule, I would let him camp out there for a few possessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Good for him. If he's good it won't matter he'll still be a lottery pick. Maybe slow his development some.

Reactions: skysdad
I'm all for it. Kenny Blakeney will do a good job to prepare him. Do you think he'd get better coaching from Calipari or Ole' Roy? And perhaps the educational and social experience is more important to him.

It will be interesting to watch his progress.

I'm all for it. Kenny Blakeney will do a good job to prepare him. Do you think he'd get better coaching from Calipari or Ole' Roy? And perhaps the educational and social experience is more important to him.

It will be interesting to watch his progress.

I must be going senile. It just now dawned on me that Blakeney is another branch on the Coach K coaching tree. Wow. OFC

If he’s doing this to make a political statement that’s cool. The kid is free to do what he likes. His development and marketability is likely going to take a hit. The fact remains he’ll be going up against terrible competition in games and at practice. Not to mention he’ll never have national exposure.

happy he stayed away from UK though

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I must be going senile. It just now dawned on me that Blakeney is another branch on the Coach K coaching tree. Wow. OFC
I also believe Tyler Thornton is on the staff. I saw someone give him a big shoutout for the recruitment

Reactions: christophero
I don’t know what I think about this yet..

On one hand.. it’s a really cool statement to make..

On the other hand.. he’s going to be playing with/against a bunch of unranked or very low ranked players.. there’s very little chance he can improve his game at that level of play.. I’m sure they have good coaching and facilities, but I doubt it is anywhere near the caliber needed for transitioning from NCAA basketball to the NBA..

Also, if he changes his mind and decides to go to the G-League or overseas, then he looks waaay worse than if he backs out from a power conference team.. it’ll look like he used the HBCU to get a pat on the back and had no intentions of really helping the school..

side note: I looked at the Howard roster and they have a 6’11” / 295 pound player (Cam Timmons).. shit.. Duke shoulda gave him a scholarship.. I don’t care if he can’t run to the other end of the court and back.. with NCAA basketball not having a defensive 3 second rule, I would let him camp out there for a few possessions.

He would also be playing with and against a lot of scrubs overseas. Yes, there are some great players that come from overseas but that’s the minority.

Imo it will not hurt his NBA draft status.If u can play they will find you.Short term it will hurt his potential for endorsement income.It is hard to quantify how much the unlimited exposure at Duke makes a player.There is no way Zion gets 100 plus in endorsements without this exposure

Imo it will not hurt his NBA draft status.If u can play they will find you.Short term it will hurt his potential for endorsement income.It is hard to quantify how much the unlimited exposure at Duke makes a player.There is no way Zion gets 100 plus in endorsements without this exposure
I think his endorsement income will be just fine. He will be a very important symbol for the black community, as he deserves.
OFC

I think his endorsement income will be just fine. He will be a very important symbol for the black community, as he deserves.
OFC
I said short term endorsements could be affected.Imo the value of going to someplace like Duke or UK gives you a great initial head start in recognition.If he becomes a superstar in the NBA endorsements will be there James Harden is perfect example of this he did not hit the lottery in endorsements until he became a superstar.Lebron is the only one I can think of that cashed in on endorsements without coming from a big time school background.

I said short term endorsements could be affected.Imo the value of going to someplace like Duke or UK gives you a great initial head start in recognition.If he becomes a superstar in the NBA endorsements will be there James Harden is perfect example of this he did not hit the lottery in endorsements until he became a superstar.Lebron is the only one I can think of that cashed in on endorsements without coming from a big time school background.
You are probably right about the short term stuff. But an awful lot of guys did OK for themselves without going to Duke or UK or UCLA. Bird? Robinson? Parrish? Frazier? Monroe? Curry? Obviously the list could go on for a very long time. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that Duke isn't automatically a trip to heaven. And I went there! Take care, my friend.
OFC

Bold move. Wish him well. Wouldn't be surprised if we see 1 or 2 top 50 guys sign with a HBCU on an annual basis. Sort of similar to top prospects playing in the G-League or overseas for a year. It's not going to be common, but I suspect a few will be committed to this cause.

Individually, this is not going to help him, however. Howard went 4-29 last year, 350th out of 353 teams on KenPom's rankings, and they lost two of their top three scorers. Also, Howard lost their only P5 game to Notre Dame - by 29 points. They're not just bad. They're egregiously bad. But, got to respect the initiative in leading the way for this movement.

You are probably right about the short term stuff. But an awful lot of guys did OK for themselves without going to Duke or UK or UCLA. Bird? Robinson? Parrish? Frazier? Monroe? Curry? Obviously the list could go on for a very long time. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that Duke isn't automatically a trip to heaven. And I went there! Take care, my friend.
OFC
Not trying to argue either an athlete has an extremely short shelf life.If this young man is good enough he will reap the rewards of his talent.I think it is admirable that he is following his heart in his choice of school.Realistically there are only a select few players who hit the big time endorsement lottery and I hope he is one of them.My point is that a big time program gives him a better chance initially

Reactions: Willcampbell
Bold move. Wish him well. Wouldn't be surprised if we see 1 or 2 top 50 guys sign with a HBCU on an annual basis. Sort of similar to top prospects playing in the G-League or overseas for a year. It's not going to be common, but I suspect a few will be committed to this cause.

Individually, this is not going to help him, however. Howard went 4-29 last year, 350th out of 353 teams on KenPom's rankings, and they lost two of their top three scorers. Also, Howard lost their only P5 game to Notre Dame - by 29 points. They're not just bad. They're egregiously bad. But, got to respect the initiative in leading the way for this movement.
Selfishly, I hope some top level hoopsters sign with Savannah State, since I'm in that neck of the woods for half the year.
OFC

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT